• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus Christ, 8:36 on the video, there is no defending that framerate. I can't believe they shipped this. That's something I expect out of a buggy, bad port of a PS3 360 game.
Game was clearly not ready to release at all and it shows.
Edit: 13:37, oh my god how was this okay to release it like this
Edit 2: 18:53 it drops to 10fps on average in that scene WTF

They should've cancelled last gen versions altogether imo. I don't like the idea of excluding that massive install base, but it's clear 2013 hardware is just not up to the task for what this game is. Would've been a system seller too.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I had to reload my save twice in 30 minutes this morning. First at the end of the heist mission because the enemy I needed to loot at the end fell through the floor. Second in the turret section in a helicopter where killed everyone but the chopper would just endlessly circle the area.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I realize it's still a bit too early to ask this, but I am curious to what people have to say about the story. Not necessarily whether it's good or not, but like, what does it actually DO with the cyberpunk genre it wraps itself in? What is it about?

A lot of the criticism pre-release is that it seems to wear the cyberpunk aesthetic, but fully play into the stuff that Cyberpunk as a genre is meant to be a rallying cry against. Does the game do anything that disproves this claim?

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
But with DLSS enabled you can turn on superior lighting and shadowing features and maintain a framerate....

As I said, even with everything on ultra including RT the game doesn't look like the left image if you are riding the car at day time, I literally tried it today. The person who is asking this even said he is playing with everything on ultra too.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe my number one wishlist item for a future patch or DLC: a transmog system

Some of the clothing looks awesome, but if you're going for stats you quickly look terrible with all the mismatched items lol being able to change clothing appearances without losing the stats would be great.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I realize it's still a bit too early to ask this, but I am curious to what people have to say about the story.

Like, what does it actually DO with the cyberpunk genre it wraps itself in? What is it about?
Depends how you play for what I've experienced. It can be kinda like blade runner sometimes and then I'll go cod mode for certain bit. Probably not making sense lol sorry if I confused you.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I realize it's still a bit too early to ask this, but I am curious to what people have to say about the story. Not necessarily whether it's good or not, but like, what does it actually DO with the cyberpunk genre it wraps itself in? What is it about?

A lot of the criticism pre-release is that it seems to wear the cyberpunk aesthetic, but fully play into the stuff that Cyberpunk as a genre is meant to be a rallying cry against. Does the game do anything that disproves this claim?
I mean...it's kind of anti-capitalist? A lot of the issues in this game revolve around class.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
As I said, even with everything on ultra including RT the game doesn't look like the left image if you are riding the car at day time, I literally tried it today. The person who is asking this even said he is playing with everything on ultra too.

Okay, I'll have to take your word for it, as I didn't experiment with that sequence multiple times.

That said, the game on my PC doesn't look like the right image at all, so I am not sure what the disconnect is.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Are there only 1 tech shotgun and sniper? I've been using the same weapon (type) for all my 33h of gameplay so far.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't a game you play if you want to relax or just tired. I was doing a side gig and there was so much dialog that I just turned off my computer and hopped in my bed.

I kinda miss Valhalla .

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
On PC with RT turned on this game looks very, very impressive. Like I have been playing AC Valhalla on PS5 alongside, and that is a very nice looking game, and probably more polished visually at least. But this is just even more impressive.

I've tested the game on PS5 using a 28 inch 4k monitor as well, and at least on that the game still overall looks very nice. I think it is perfectly playable now and plays nice and fluid, but will look incredible on consoles they get the next gen patch and optimise the game.

jakershaker

Oct 28, 2017
Having a lot of fun. Still haven't progressed the main quest, just doing sidequests and finding new stuff. Feels like the game Deus Ex tried to be and the city is massive, first one that feels like a city.

Had to mix a bit with the settings to find a good balance though. Not buying a new rig for one game but damn it's demanding if you want, found some good reddit threads on optimal configs for midrange systems and went from there.

Really one of a kind game, flaws and all. Very impressive.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Yikees, The Xbox One version O_O!! Even the Xbox One X version running rough.

"The Xbox One version has better textures, anisotropic filter, shadows, less pop-in in textures and more sharpness than PS4 but in return we have an aberrant performance"

WTF was that!? So what if the One X has better textures, shadows, etc when you have scenes like that driving section running that awful.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Bought the game on Steam last night to play on my gaming laptop. I could DEFINITELY tune the settings to achieve a constant 60+fps performance but I had to give up a bit too much visually, so I refunded it.

ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14. Ryzen 9 4900HS; RTX 2060 Max-Q; 16GB RAM; 1TB SSD. 60fps+ definitely doable but in my opinion at least, not at a picture quality that I find apt for this game.

I ended up then buying the game on Xbox Series X. Haven't gotten far enough to see how open world Night City performs (which is where I couldn't strike a good visual quality/performance balance) but I don't think it looks awful in performance mode so far. It's blurry on my CX but I've tolerated worse on Switch. The 60fps seems really steady early on and I just really appreciate that right now. I hope it keeps up when i get more open access to wander the city.

EDIT: Also want to note that I was using DLSS in all of my attempts to play on my laptop. It seemed to be lending quite a lot of performance back, but for my criticism of the Xbox Series X version looking blurry, that impression is a very mild blur — it seemed that the DLSS was creating pretty immense blur in my case, making me wonder if it's more apt at going for higher resolutions, because my laptop is just 1080p and was probably utilizing less-than-1080p source image to produce a 1080p output. Obviously I don't think that the Series X experience using the One X preset is getting anywhere near a full native 4K, but it definitely gives the impression of being beyond 1080p. DLSS looks like it's working great in the Digital Foundry coverage so far, but I wonder if that's because it's more intended for lower-than-4K resolutions up to 4K and not for reconstructing to 1080p output... It looked downright AWFUL in the character creator on my laptop but the character creator on Xbox looked fine and only suffered from the mild blur that the whole game suffers from.

Last edited:

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Im only 4 hours in, but so far it's a crime drama with satirical elements like GTA but handles some of the more serious aspects maybe a bit better.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
Does the latest patch on ps4 fix any of the crashing? My brother is pretty frustrated because the game is essentially unplayable on his OG ps4.

senj

Nov 6, 2017

So the disclaimer is that I'm not that deep into it, but I'd say so far it's a bit more than aesthetics – there's clearly nods to and remixing of ideas from seminal works of the genre that are playing important roles in the story. The end of Act 1
is basically in part the SenseNet heist in Neuromancer, with Silverhand & "the Relic" as essentially an AntiCapitalist remix of McCoy Pauley's construct. So far I'd say it positions the construct's anti-capitalism as unambiguously moral in the face of a morally bankrupt hyper capitalist order, giving him the role of commenting on things like the horrors of a Molly Millions-esque "Doll" bordello, but again, I'm not that far in.

Last edited:

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Finally settled on female V, and restarted the game 10 times to tweak her appearance. I'm pretty happy with how she turned out, though there are 3-4 male-only hairstyles I wish female V could have, that I've seen female NPCs have.

0nF3d5M.png

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
they are going to have to drop support for last gen consoles if they want to actually deliver on this game.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Overall I'm feeling pretty good about my decision to go with the PS4 Pro version. I could probably run it on my computer but I suspect it'd look pretty bad with only a GTX 780. Will eventually upgrade to an RTX 3060, but I can't afford that right now.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
God, act 2. How long are they gonna make me walk around with blurry, shaking vision? It's been well over an hour. Seriously hurting my eyes.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Just got to act 2... are these side jobs worth doing? Im burnt on fetch quest. Pls tel me if they are somewhat comparable to witcher 3 side quest cause those were really good

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
I'm able to get 4k@60 on my 3080/10850k using

High settings
Dlss auto
Rt reflections on, rt shadows off, rt lighting off

Reflections on make the biggest difference, I don't see that big of a difference with shadows and lighting on and you get a big fps boost and the game still looks gorgeous.

I also have nvcp sharpening set at .5.

Enjoying the main story so far, but the gameplay isn't that great. And the world isn't as interactive as you'd want it to be.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Just got to act 2... are these side jobs worth doing? Im burnt on fetch quest. Pls tel me if they are somewhat comparable to witcher 3 side quest cause those were really good
There absolutely are plenty of interesting side quests with unique characters, siturations, decisions, and the like. Unfortunately the map system doesn't seem to difficiante well between them and the more generic stuff. Side jobs tend to be more involved than gigs but even the latter can be pretty unique from time to time. Map and journal need a ton of work.

Last edited:

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Such a shame they didnt spend more time making the world more interactive. You cant shoot out car tyres, glass doesnt shatter when hit by gunfire, cant shoot out lights, cant sit down on a bench! All this is pretty standard for open world immersion. Like some have said, the npcs and objects like food stalls etc are just set dressing.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Random pedestrian detail and variety is really impressive, never paid much attention till now, just watching them pass by and its crazy the diversity of clothing styles, augs, and hair styles there are. I may be down on the lack of more systems driven gameplay and dialogue choice but detail is certainly not lacking at all here.

Usually I'm not one to notice a big difference between 1440 and 4k from how far I sit from my TV viewing most things but jesus the IQ is night and day here between 1440 dlss quality and 4k dlss quality. One of the most crisp images I've seen. Can't stop using photo mode :P

Speaking of photo mode I can't wait for a freecam mod for general exploration of details, can't stand photo modes that give you such a limited radius, iirc AC: Odyssey had a photo mode that was a legit free cam where you could go anywhere. Why more photo modes don't allow that kind of freedom is puzzling. Really want to take some cool vista shots of the skyline and ones from way up high looking down on the city.