• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Hearing the patch made PC performance worse.

Don't have time to check it out atm.

Would like to hear some people's experiences with 1.04

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This game reminds me of the first Watch Dogs...as in you can see that the devs have some cool ideas but you can also clearly tell this is their first open world in the GTA style. The world really feels static and I guess it really isn't fair with other companies compared to Rockstar.

Koddas

Apr 1, 2018
It was so unbelievably smeary and blurry on performance mode on Series X. Turning off CA and film grain worked wonders. Keeping motion blur on for now

The latest PS5 patch made a big difference for me personally with the blurriness. Everything looks much sharper now whereas before it felt like there was a light smear of Vaseline over everything. Maybe the latest patch will make a difference for you once it's out for Xbox

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
Act 2 really opens up the game, i have no idea why they let you do so many gigs in act 1 it kills the game pacing

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Some curious oddities (mostly NPC's bugs) I have encountered on Series X:
  • Not only single NPCs but entire crowds can despawn in front of you and the game spawns a new one after a couple of seconds.
  • If you aim your weapon to an NPC and then turn around, they will despawn when you look back at them again -- EVERYTIME.
  • When entering a new part (district? idk) of the city, the game freezes for about five-ten seconds (on Series X!) for it to load the rest of the city. This is not the nostalgia I miss from Morrowind.
  • Most generic NPCs are not lip-sync. NPCs can change voices (and even language!) if you spam their talk option.
  • NPCs detailed models load at like four meters away from you. All of them. This is very jarring.
  • Like mammoths from Skyrim, NPCs can load in mid air and fall to their deaths.
  • Every kid is walking independently. In the future, parents don't care for their kids safety in the most dangerous city on America.
  • Police and goons can spawn out of nowhere and attack each other. It'd be a cool emergent moment if they didn't happen at a proximity in which you can see them spawn.
  • I don't think I have seen more than ten cars on the road at the same time. Speaking of cars, their models fully load a meter or two away from you. Interiors take a while to load, and they look like lod textures.
  • Police spawn next to you if you commit a crime. If you are near your apartment, going to bed will make them despawn and clear your wanted status, lol.
  • NPCs on vehicles do not respond to any input from the player. They cannot change directions if you block them, and if you follow one in particular, it will eventually despawn no matter how close to you they are.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
oh, it's not at all a bad-looking game on PS5. That next-gen patch is gonna be nice, though.
yeah I'm impressed by the ray-tracing but at the end of the day this really is a true ps4 port so I was a little deflated after playing AC Valhalla. Should've tempered my expectations.

Still, the world looks fantastic most of the time and the performance all things considered is good :)

Dbag98

Apr 9, 2020
Is anyone else super overwhelmed rn? Granted I'm only a few hours into the game but it's kinda off putting

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

seriously...what is this? the thumbnail looks like GTA 3/Vice City...

Not sure if you're just going along with the joke but I'll risk sounding stupid to say that the thumbnail is actually from a vice city mod.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For shits and giggles, I used a mod for infinite health and ammo and tried to take on a "very dangerous" mission clearly intended for a player 20 levels higher. It took 2-3 minutes of continuous headshots with an automatic to down an enemy (which looks as ridiculous as it sounds) and I looted a tank top from their body that I apparently won't be competent enough to wear until I'm at level 37. Like how does that make any sense.

There had to be a better way to go about implementing these systems and prerequisites.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Even after 14 hours played on series X, MS gave me a refund no questions asked. Even ignoring the technical mess, the game just isn't fun to play. The UI, NPC AI is terrible and whatever they've done to the controller to fuck up the aiming as bad as they have is amazing. I did the quest in the gun range and it was laughable how bad the aiming is in this game, even RDR2 feels better.

Maybe I'll pick it up again once it reaches £10 and has its next gen patch, maybe an expansion or two. For now though, the difference between pre release footage and actually playing the game is a proper wtf moment. What went wrong?

I started Yakuza 7 and within an hour I had more fun than I had throughout the whole of cyberpunk. The NPC's in this game are actually decent and the world feels alive. Huge difference.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll get mods that fixes the economy a bit. Been saving up like crazy for a bike.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Bugs aside, I'd really like to know people's impressions of the story, themes, characters, message, PUNK, etc. And who's the trans character?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
In case others didn't see this while the thread was closed:

First good thing they have done in a while.

So I will say after playing Cyberpunk for a bit longer. The side activities in this game are a bit weak. Fight club is a little worse then Witcher 3 and if there is a racing activity I've yet to unlock it. Kind of a shame coming off Yakuza: Like A Dragon which is filled with awesome side activities. Really disappoints me that there are tons of arcade machines in this game but you can't play on any of them.

Game is also getting really buggy for me. I constantly see trees when driving around the city now. While some of the mainline quests don't work for me if I attempt to do the optional objective.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
First good thing they have done in a while.

So I will say after playing Cyberpunk for a bit longer. The side activities in this game are a bit weak. Fight club is a little worse then Witcher 3 and if there is a racing activity I've yet to unlock it. Kind of a shame coming off Yakuza: Like A Dragon which is filled with awesome side activities. Really disappoints me that there are tons of arcade machines in this game but you can't play on any of them.

Game is also getting really buggy for me. I constantly see trees when driving around the city now. While some of the mainline quests don't work for me if I attempt to do the optional objective.
It's not all that good when you read this also:

The bonus system CD Projekt used for developers working on Cyberpunk 2077 was complicated. Every month, team leaders at the company gave out tokens styled after the studio's logo, a red bird, to members of their team they felt deserved honors, according to three current and former employees. Those tokens would have then been transferred into bonuses if the game met certain criteria, like critical acclaim and a timely release. Under the new system, those payouts will be guaranteed even though Cyberpunk 2077 was delayed and the review score has been mixed. This performance bonus comes on top of regular annual profit-sharing payouts

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
It's not all that good when you read this also:

The bonus system CD Projekt used for developers working on Cyberpunk 2077 was complicated. Every month, team leaders at the company gave out tokens styled after the studio's logo, a red bird, to members of their team they felt deserved honors, according to three current and former employees. Those tokens would have then been transferred into bonuses if the game met certain criteria, like critical acclaim and a timely release. Under the new system, those payouts will be guaranteed even though Cyberpunk 2077 was delayed and the review score has been mixed. This performance bonus comes on top of regular annual profit-sharing payouts

That's absolutely disgusting

Etheid0n

Nov 29, 2020
Absolutely loving the immersion of this game. Playing on PS5, and think the visuals are just fine.

This was taken from my phone:

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
The 1.04 patch fixed all the bluriness/lowres/softness I've been seeing on the PS5. It looks very good now. Didn't fix the crashes though, still getting about a crash per hour.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
The fucking setting reset every time I boot the game up now. On the PS5. What a fucking mess.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game is great so far, 7 hours in. The world is beautiful and just doing random side stuff is a lot of fun.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Didn't really pay attention to any of the marketing so in no way expected anything resembling gta like npcs or world design but an rpg so having a pretty great time. Lot of neat side quests with fun characters and even the smaller, generic gigs like go kill this dude or steal this have some interesting surprises.

Definitely should have been more division between the meatier, unique ones and the rest tho. Think a lot of people play 3 bounties in a row and go fuck this thinking that's what they're all like. Only on act 2 so super early so hope what people were saying about how huge quest chains opening up were true/not exaggerated.

But yeah think it's a good game but wasn't expecting the second coming of christ. Definitely tons of weird visual glitches on ps5 and the general blurriness to contend with.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Hey, we're back!

I played about eight hours last night on PC and though I went in skeptical, I'm hooked now. It's gorgeous and the plot is far more interesting and compelling than I thought it would be.

I just started Act 2.

Running at high/high 1080p with my GTX 1080 ti. Performance is mostly above 60fps with a few small dips into the 50s when I'm driving around downtown.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
That's absolutely disgusting
Yep a little more on this token system/development of Cyberpunk:
Although the structure will reward some employees financially, there has been concern that it pushed them to work longer hours. In September, Bloomberg reported that developers at CD Projekt had been working excessive overtime, or crunch, on and off since 2018. The company asked all of its staff to work six-day workweeks in the months leading up to release. Developers who are critical of the bonus system have said that it implicitly encourages employees to put in nights and weekends to show that they're working the hardest.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I refunded it, couldn't get a consistent above framerate above 60 even on Medium. I'll wait for a patch or till I get a 3080

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on PC and I feel like im running into bugs every 10 minutes. Even without the bugs this game is a mess anytime you stray from the main missions. Multiple people have pointed it out but its like a hodgepodge of underdeveloped systems.

The world is gorgeous but also completely dead.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing the patch made PC performance worse.

Don't have time to check it out atm.

Would like to hear some people's experiences with 1.04

Not my experience, if anything RT mode seems to be running better for me.

I think the key thing to decent to good PC performance seems to be enabling DLSS, fwiw.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious. The praise for Rockstar in there is amazing.
I'm glad the fans are calling CDPR out.
Maybe I'm not exactly good at fucking around in open world games, but what does Rockstar do better regarding open world games? Everyone says the world feels more "alive" in those games and its all the same to me?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bugs aside, I'd really like to know people's impressions of the story, themes, characters, message, PUNK, etc. And who's the trans character?
I won't type much since I'm on mobile getting ready to sleep but this game is a shitty cyberpunk story. Themes non-existent aside from "DISTOPIA! BAD!", no context given to anything, subtle as a fucking brick. I'm 16 hours in so I could still be surprised but this game has literally nothing to say, there are maybe one or two character which can be interesting but aside from that, it's really dull and the equivalent of giving a Blade Runner tape to an teenager and told them to make a game and the result is "WOW PRETTY NEON LIGHTS, COOL CARS AND "FUCK" WORD A LOT"

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the thread lock and all the messaging by the mods, they've handled it as it should be handled.

I hate that I'm reminded of Fallout 4 here, but:
- The MC male voice is really sending me back to the awful FO4 one
- The dialogue choices are laughable......oh wait, FO4 actually offered more choice than this?

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The lifepaths are an embarrassment, you might as well just pick street kid they all just force you into that anyway.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
This game doesn't look all that bad on base PS4 at night and in interiors, thanks mainly to the lightning, and how atmospheric the volumetric lightning is represented, plus the scale of the city, as well as the shaders on materials are pretty fucking great for current consoles. I just went to "The Clouds" , and that thing looks way better than any Deux Ex MD interiors; and there are many many places too; just the entire hotel mission, and Johnny Silverhand mission blows anything seen on Deux Ex MD graphicswise out of the water. Also, character models are top notch imho.

Now in clear daytime, there is where the game starts to look a bit rough and you start noticing more closely the limitations on display with LODs problem, low textures, jaggies, resolution etc.

The main problem I have with the game on PS4 is the goddamn framerate, not even the resolution at all. It seems to have been improved a bit with the lastest patch, version 1.04, while driving, but it is still fucking unacceptable overall.