• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
It's obvious this is way more optimized on pc, at first I thought I had no chance of smooth performance above 30 on ultra (with RT reflections) at 1440 dlss quality on my 2060s, so I played a ton yesterday with micro stutters and a general choppiness despite fraps showing around a 30 average, and combat was a chore. After setting the vsync to 60 it is SO much smoother now, stutters gone. Game is so much more playable now.

VamosTigres

Jun 11, 2020
Played 3 different missions/quests tonight and had to replay two of them multiple times each due to bugs :( I may just give up and work on finishing Valhalla while I wait for a patch, tired of putting in three hours and only making one "real" hour of progress

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else on PC getting sort weirdly noisy textures? It's usually in dark or shadowed areas. Just looks like digital noise on most surfaces and it's there with DLSS on and off, so not sure what's going. And I have everything basically maxed out.

Do you have RT on? That happens with RT. I think it's the denoiser. There is nothing you can do about it but turn RT off.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
This feels symptomatic of one of the game's biggest issues: The sheer amount of underdeveloped systems and ideas. It's shocking how much they clearly cut from the game. I don't really know what happened during development, but I don't think this is the game developers had in mind when production started.

Why can't you change something as basic and simple as build/muscles when creating your character? Why can't you get a haircut? Why are there so many dialogue prompts in which you only have one choice of reply and can't walk away from the conversation? This feels unfinished in a way I don't recall seeing before. It's not just buggy (eg AC Unity) and it's not unfinished story content-wise (eg MGS V), it's just extremely undercooked feature and systems-wise.

This sucks because I think Night City looks great is one of the most impressive open-world I've ever seen (even if not that reactive) and the quests and characters are better than I expected. But it's no exaggeration to say this was - at the very least - 6 months away from being ready to release. And now the developers will have to crunch even more and during holidays no less.

Yeah, I think this is where I'm at - there are definitely bits that are either underdeveloped, and/or were thrown together later on in the dev cycle.

There's a weird...disparity, at times - I don't think I've seen any of the 'rare' 3rd person cutscenes showing V they talked about (though IIRC those may have been cut?), so I can maaaybe understand skimping on certain parts of the character creator (especially stuff like muscles/fat that would affect the rig/skeleton for clothing)...but that still doesn't explain not having a barber (they put one in after the fact in Witcher, FFS).

Meanwhile, night city being super dense means its littered with stuff....but that stuff, by and large, is super generic 'go find X/go kill Y/go clear out point Z' that just devolves into collecting more loot you then have to go into the inventory and scrap, or lug over to the seller kiosk. To be fair, there's usually still 2-3 ways to get to the end result, rather than 'only' 1, but it's still quite a bit repetitive, and more often than not there haven't been as many 'good narrative beat sidequests' to help buoy those filler bits up to a good average mixture.

I really do wonder what this game will look like, after the mods, bug fixes, 'free dlc', and paid expansions (that often had underlying sweeping changes to the base game) 2 years from now.....or if CDPR just attempts to move over to Cyberpunk-Online.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Strongly recommend disabling subtitles. If there's one thing this game has, it's good faces and facial animation. Much more immersive without subtitles.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Nexus Mods has a mod to bypass the Redlauncher and boot straight into the game. I tried copy/pasting the exe and renaming it, but it didn't seem to register as being active in Steam, which means playtime and Achievements wouldn't track.

Mod seems to work though.

There's also a mod to add back in the walk function instead of being limited in certain situations, but I haven't tested that yet. A FOV mod exists for those who tinker with that.

If you are using steam, you can just go to properties and add this to "launch options"

--launcher-skip

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe my expectations were very low but I am totally fine with the ps4 pro performance. Have seen quite a few little bugs in the two hours i've played but the game looks great and has run fine so far. Hopefully these bugs get ironed out rather quickly.
Agreed. After the early reactions in here, my experience has been...solid. Looks about as great as I expected on PS4 and runs fine. No bugs yet either

OP
OP
Android Sophia

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The original release date for Cyberpunk 2077 was November 19, which was during Trans Awareness Week and right before Transgender Day of Remembrance (November 20). To raise awareness of the numerous concerns of transphobia surrounding the game and the company, we made a commitment to lock the OT for the day after its official release.

While the game was ultimately delayed to December 10, we are upholding that commitment today. As a result, this thread will be locked for 24 hours starting at midnight on the 11th. Please do not create any new Cyberpunk threads during this time, nor attempt to turn an existing Cyberpunk thread into a temporary OT, out of respect for your fellow transgender, non-binary, and genderfluid members.

If you would like to know more about the Transgender Day of Remembrance or Transgender Awareness Week, please visit the following links.

www.glaad.org

Transgender Day of Remembrance | GLAAD

Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR) is an annual observance on November 20 that honors the memory of the transgender people whose lives were lost in acts of anti-transgender violence. You can read more about the Transgender Day of Remembrance below, and find out how you can show support for...
www.glaad.org

Transgender Awareness Week | GLAAD

Each year between November 13 – 19, people and organizations around the country participate in Transgender Awareness Week to help increase understanding about transgender people and the issues members of the community face. Trans Awareness Week takes place the week before Transgender Day of...

Additionally, after considering many different points of view, we have resolved not to have a separate thread dedicated to performance. Instead JaseC will be maintaining a PC Performance post in this OT and such issues can be discussed in this thread or in the PC Gaming OT thread.

OP
OP
Android Sophia

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thread unlocked. I'd like to personally thank those of you who showed respect to the rules during those 24 hours. If you have any further questions or concerns, please send a message to a mod captain.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Transphobic Trolling
Awww yeahhh back to discussing the best game of the year. I pulled an all nighter last night and was dying at work. But Cyberpunk is just too good....

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The patch has helped the PS4 Pro performance a bit. It also has fixed the weird ghosting effect (for the most part) that was giving me such headache playing the game.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Where is the side quest that supposedly has a trans side character, anyone know? Been playing quite a bit, people were right that it gets much better after/towards the end of act 1. Right now trying to hit 20 street cred and unlock mantis blades

My play style is stealth quick hacks and swords, guns are not for me but i'm absolutely destroying people with my katana atm. Might have managed to find a pretty strong one from side missions etc.

Best part is noticing how my actions and dialogue are really starting to affect outcomes.

This game really has a LOT of sexualization, violence, and sexualization of violence... we'll see what they have to say about it, if anything

I'm on pc, still have yet to encounter any major bugs.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk_2077_20201211230002.png

They need to fix this small ass text size tho. The subtitle size option doesn't work on these and they are practically unreadable in some situations.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
In case others didn't see this while the thread was closed:

why in the fuck were they gating those bonus under an arbitrary number anyway

like even if the game was scored in the 80's, it's marketing momentum is such that it'd sell like gangbusters anyway. Why would they not deserve to be rewarded when the game would be such a success regardless?

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if this hot fix caused these issues or if I just hadn't gotten far enough into the game yet, but I've had multiple cutscenes with invisible items in my hands (weapon, what I assume was a tablet) and Jackie was straight up muffled and invisible during one scene. On ps4 pro.

Feels bad. Graphics / frame rate I have no issues but these bugs are brutal.

Otherwise, this game is incredible.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Stopped playing entirely due to performance on PS5. Sounds like this patch might have helped out a little bit. Hearing that ghosting effect is lessened makes me interested in seeing more. Still can't believe this game has no driving AI at all for NPC's outside of their scripted paths.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing this game has going it's the gameplay loop which can be addicting.

Otherwise just a fucking mess, technical jankiness to it's maximum, subtle as a fucking brick, non-existent world, mind boggling design choices, and let's not even mention all the controversies regarding transphobia and crunch.

What a fucking mess, can't believe I was ever hyped for this.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
It was so unbelievably smeary and blurry on performance mode on Series X. Turning off CA and film grain worked wonders. Keeping motion blur on for now

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Have 15 or so hours into this now, a bit into act 2.

I think the game gets much, much better and more interesting post-titlecard. I have a lot of mixed feelings on the opening/lifepath stuff, it reminds me a lot more of something like Fallout 4 where regardless of path V is mostly going to be the same character. I guess I'll see if any of that has a different payoff later, but it feels more surface level and V in general doesn't seem too far removed from a Geralt regarding being more of a set character already.

Still, I can't deny there's something here, even when I'm just running around doing side gigs all over the place. I've seen a lot of small enclosures that had a lot of different approach angles, buildings that let you jump around on top of shit to get behind a sign and go across to a window. Lot of deus ex type stuff littered around that I like seeing, and I enjoy the hacking stuff. The city on paper is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen pulled off in a game, the first person adds a lot to just look up and see how high everything goes, in a way that I haven't seen many other games come close to matching.

I'm also a huge fan of first person and what they're doing with it in general. It feels super natural to go from sitting with an NPC, to them getting up along with you and just walking around with them, or having you both walk back and forth in a room as you talk, even just moving around when you're sitting in place. It's done very, very well. In gameplay the "body" is done pretty well too, able to see your shoulders and all when you look down (though seriously this needs a transmog BAD), the amount of animations for weapons, etc. It's pretty great stuff.

But MY GOD ALMIGHTY the bugs

holy shit the bugs

This game should not have been able to release like this. Like I can't even fathom what it was like when it went "gold" months ago if this was the end result. Just off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'll be missing stuff, I've seen

-T-pose NPCs
-Visual glitches abound, when I stealth hold enemies they frequently have stuff bugging out around their necks.
-Fought people in a room, went upstairs, came back down and everyone had to be fought again.
-Maelstorm mission imploded on me, main guy seemed to die as I talked to them?
-Helped police fight a group off, police vanished
-Boxes and bags exploding as I go around and loot stuff
-Watched the city deconstruct before my very eyes
-Early car ride with Jackie had the tires make a skid noise for the entire ending
-Side mission had some horror game-esque panting noises that were following me around until I quit and reloaded
-Main quest bugged on the ripperdoc until I quit and reloaded
-Lines getting cut off randomly
-Radio wasn't working in vehicles, as I got out I couldn't run anymore as the game seemed to think I was partially zoomed in with the scan. Pause/unpause fixed, radio worked again.

Like shit, man. It's ridiculous. I guess it hasn't crashed...hooray?

There's a lot more Witcher 3 DNA in here than I expected, from the inventory menu to the looting. There is shit to pick up everywhere which works a lot better in third person relative to first, having to more precisely move around to pick stuff up. The UI is lacking in a few ways, but what bums me out the most is the phone. Seems like a missed opportunity to not have messages integrated in some sort of ingame eye UI, like people can call for you to see their picture but to answer messages it's this weird, clunky menu? I also feel like I have to be missing something here, but when you find a shard that can be decrypted it kicks you back ingame after cracking it and then I have had to go into the menu, journal, shard and manually find what I just cracked. Da fuck.

I feel for the team who probably went through hell to get this out, who need to clearly do A LOT more to get this up to snuff. There seems like something really good here, eventually. I do wonder how much they change beyond bugs though, the city itself does seem lacking in AI routines and reactions. Wanted system seems really half assed, NPCs don't really react to much at all, stuff like that can rip you out of the moment pretty easily.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The game feels amateur compared to something like RDR2

Hell GTA3 has better ai

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Game arrived from Amazon today, they added a bunch of goodies on the non-collectors edition copy. Been a long time that I bought a game that wasn't just the disc and one piece of paper.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
Is twitch on series x bugged? I streamed last night all night fine on it but today the video is just black, audio only. Thought maybe cos i forgot to take off the copywrited music I got a ding, but I didn't get notified ....and it's the video that's not working , the audio is fine , my only other thought is maybe the game is blocked on twitch from Xbox until the patch drops there? Anybody else had issues?