• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fixed all my PC crashes.
Turns out it was related to a ASUS mobo bios update, that added ReSize BAR for AMD SAM support - allowing for more complete access to addressable GPU memory.
Unfortunately, they set this to AUTO, and since I have a RTX 3080 GPU that shouldn't be supported yet, I ended up with crashing here there and everywhere.
Switched it off, and everything is great again.
I suppose my streak of nearly a decade without BSODs was bound to end eventually. Hopefully this is helpful for anyone else that may have had this issue

I'm getting random shutdowns/reboots since the update.. thought they fucked up the DOCP profile but I will try turning this off, thanks!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
My friend had the game constantly crash on him, like every 5 minutes. It wasn't playable.
I'm playing on PS5 and it crashed three times on me this afternoon. 😂

Not in a row, but still. It's annoying. I didn't lose any progress because I'm adamant about saving, and the autosave on this game is pretty good, to boot.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Game seems awesome, but I'm gonna wait for patches. I haven't even really encounter any major bugs or crashes, but I really, really can't stand FPS games that aren't a locked 60. Makes me feel I'll after a while.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
by the way, is anyone satisfied with the life paths in this game? I know corpo gang ITT is pissed, i went nomad and i felt pretty cheated about not actually exploring the desert before coming to night city, and I don't know what the hell my character is blabbering about in some of these chat options i get but whatever

Lifepaths feel like a last minute introduction, or something to that notion, as a replacement for the old 'player backstory' from the 2018 demo once they collapsed that down from Morgan/Johnny/Adam down to just Johnny, and/or an addition to highlight 'player choice' - thus far, as corpo I've had a few okay dialogues among the 'auto-win' options that the stats seem to result in, but its absolutely not meaningful, even though being a former Arasaka operative SHOULD matter more.

Going from a 5-10 minute thing right into the Jackie montage was absolutely insane to me - especially when they then revert you right back into a training wheels segment.

Meanwhile....whoever said Act 2 definitely gets better quest/dialogue-wise isn't wrong - the 'Automatic Love'' mission dialogue is absolutely a cut FAR and above anything else the game has thrown at V in terms of quality dialogue/narrative so far.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
None of the intros do anything but say hi for a minute then plop you into the story. It's all so blase that I'm not sure why they bothered.
Yep, feel the same way. They built them up and present them as some large thing then it's over into a quick montage that would have been far more beneficial as something you played, and were introduced to those characters through.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the DF videos on all systems and all.
I just had one crash in over 4 hrs gameplay. And bug wise just a few. Playing on PS5.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
So I just had lunch with Jack and drove. It said something about hidden gems but now the screen keeps flashing white.

Is there a gem in supposed to find
And are these white flash normal?

I already got a free relic pistol just by walking by a shooting range.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the DF videos on all systems and all.
I just had one crash in over 4 hrs gameplay. And bug wise just a few. Playing on PS5.
I haven't seen too much in terms of bugs. A few times there were item info panels that wouldn't disappear until I rolled the cursor over a different item, and one door during a quest that wouldn't open, but nothing other than that.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
So... is the PC game buggy now that the day 1 patch has been released, or is it mainly the console versions that are still full of bugs? It's kind of hard to tell right now.

All my PC parts are at stock speeds (10850k, 3080, 32GB) and I've not had a single crash yet. The only bugs I've noticed are characters clipping through objects occasionally. It sounds to be a night and day difference to the console experience.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Game seems awesome, but I'm gonna wait for patches. I haven't even really encounter any major bugs or crashes, but I really, really can't stand FPS games that aren't a locked 60. Makes me feel I'll after a while.

Same, at this point might as well wait a couple of months and hope it hits a small sale and a big patch.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My 1660s/i5 10400f ain't handling this too bad. Steady 45 - 50 fps with most things on high at 1080p. Good enough for me.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Question: I can't find photomode. Playing on PS5. Don't tell me it's just on PC?
I have been taken photos but through the PS5 capture system.

When playing, if you press L2 the camera will zoom in, then hitting up on the d-pad you can zoom in even more.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I feel so disconnected from this thread. I'm in Act 2 now and doing a bunch of side quests and such and having a blast. I am finding tons of things I'd balance/change/fair critiques, but so far I'm really enjoying my playthrough.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Are the NCPD incidents endless or are there a finite amount? I haven't played too much of the game yet but I feel obligated to do them whenever I get close to clear them out.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe my expectations were very low but I am totally fine with the ps4 pro performance. Have seen quite a few little bugs in the two hours i've played but the game looks great and has run fine so far. Hopefully these bugs get ironed out rather quickly.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nexus Mods has a mod to bypass the Redlauncher and boot straight into the game. I tried copy/pasting the exe and renaming it, but it didn't seem to register as being active in Steam, which means playtime and Achievements wouldn't track.

Mod seems to work though.

There's also a mod to add back in the walk function instead of being limited in certain situations, but I haven't tested that yet. A FOV mod exists for those who tinker with that.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cracked. Will refund it if it bodies my 1080ti too hard

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
One thing I dislike, outside of the existing issues with certain adverts either being transphobic or juvenile, is just how few of them there are for this giant corporate city. Seeing the same set over and over gets lame very quickly. If they created a huge range of (better) adverts then I feel like it would add a lot more to the environment of NC.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
So how have the quests panned out anyways? Aint that half of what made Witcher 3 memorable? Choice and consequence wise you weren't exactly re-drawing the map politically or something, but on a micro level you were often given a choice on how a quest story resolved.

Little dark fantasy vignettes that were punctuated by your decision making, even if it was basically binary.

That a thing here or.... just flashy set pieces? Because it's like impossible to tell whats going on watching the world play through the first 5 hours forever.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon sent me the game for PS4 and should arrive tomorrow.

No way in hell am I touching it on that, though. Gonna stay sealed until I get a PS5.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Is everyone else pleased that this game uses a proper 24hr day time cycle, and not something like in RDR2 & H:ZD where the game can quickly change from afternoon/evening to night within seconds.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Played it for about 2 hours on the PS5, and it just felt odd. As if the game was in a beta phase of some sort, and then I saw 10 "Mix It Up" ads in less than 3 minutes and I turned it off. What a gross experience. It's like they doubled down on it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I heard there was a bug where your penis can glitch through your pants. That's a cyber lawsuit waiting to happen.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cracked. Will refund it if it bodies my 1080ti too hard
Here's how my game looks with a 1080TI on Ultra
[
1FDCF94100049F879D8417CA0ADEC151AF4A43B5

Have had zero issues.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yep, feel the same way. They built them up and present them as some large thing then it's over into a quick montage that would have been far more beneficial as something you played, and were introduced to those characters through.
This feels symptomatic of one of the game's biggest issues: The sheer amount of underdeveloped systems and ideas. It's shocking how much they clearly cut from the game. I don't really know what happened during development, but I don't think this is the game developers had in mind when production started.

Why can't you change something as basic and simple as build/muscles when creating your character? Why can't you get a haircut? Why are there so many dialogue prompts in which you only have one choice of reply and can't walk away from the conversation? This feels unfinished in a way I don't recall seeing before. It's not just buggy (eg AC Unity) and it's not unfinished story content-wise (eg MGS V), it's just extremely undercooked feature and systems-wise.

This sucks because I think Night City looks great is one of the most impressive open-world I've ever seen (even if not that reactive) and the quests and characters are better than I expected. But it's no exaggeration to say this was - at the very least - 6 months away from being ready to release. And now the developers will have to crunch even more and during holidays no less.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Some initial impressions after a few hours:

Character creator disappointed me. It is decent enough, but for this IP there was so much room for representation. Black hair options lacking, gender options feeling tacked on, hair not crossing over... this feels like a hugely missed opportunity.

People weren't kidding that you look like a clown if you just upgrade to the best gear. I just got a hideous thing that has amazing stats that I refuse to wear. I don't know how they dropped the ball so hard with this. Even if it's FPS, customization is a big thing here.

Playing on Very Hard and at first enemies were incredibly tough at first (HP sponges and I was made of glass), after unlocking a few skills like Mass Vulnerability, I'm able to take them out much more easily. Very Hard doesn't feel that challenging, but I am still early.

I really like how the skill system works. Freedom to choose anything and then using the skill levels it. Makes it feel like you're naturally expanding your skill set.

Shooting feels pretty good, and I can see how some of the unlocks you get later could make things feel better still. Quite surprised how much I'm enjoying the combat.

Driving is shit. It's easier in first person if I take it at an even pace and just pretend I'm a big clunky person instead of a car.

Dialogue is ok, pretty juvenile in places. Right now there's a lot of edgy teen style bad ass speak, and while VA (female V) is doing a decent job, she definitely sounds like someone trying too hard to be cool/tough at times. So far, the story and characters are ok, but it's very surface level. I'm curious if it develops as the story progresses.

Side quests so far have been underwhelming from a narrative perspective. Quite shallow, over quickly, and lacking any depth to the interactions.

I like the way it feels like an open world Deus Ex, even if it's not quite as deep as an regular immersive sim. Although, this might open up a bit as things progress and more skills are unlocked.

The general Cyberpunk theme so far feels a bit surface level. Take something like Bladerunner 2049, for instance, and they managed to show the corporate saturation and objectification without making it seem juvenile. Someone compared the humour to Duke Nukem earlier and I have to agree. It's like they've been designed especially as teenage level humour.

Visuals on PC are pretty good, but not for the cost of performance. Technically this game is a mess, and I'm managing to brute force through a lot of the issues as my machine is still pretty strong compared to most people (2700x / 2080). This game needed quite a bit more work done. Still, at times it looks pretty stunning. The art direction is strong.

I've done some of the main quest, a bunch of side activities, and some free roaming. And I can't quite get an idea of the depth. I think it might be a bit deceptive, in that it's not quite as deep as it initially appears, but I don't now how much of this will expand as new skills are unlocked.

I am surprised at how much I'm enjoying it, though, purely as a game. It's keeping me engaged mechanically.

I'm curious how long it will keep me engaged for, and how the lack of representation and contextualization with some of the shitty adverts feels as things progress. From reading the articles and reviews critical of this, I'm pretty sure I now how it will go... but I'd like to see for myself.

Saying this, it's rare for me to stay engrossed in a AAA game these days, and I could easily just lose interest shortly. I'd like to push on to see for myself just how much they dropped the ball regarding the representation issues, as a non-binary person myself it's already feeling like a massive let down on that front. I'm also very curious to see how I feel about it from a purely gameplay perspective, and how my opinion in that regard measures up to the acclaim.

We'll see if I get that far.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else on PC getting sort weirdly noisy textures? It's usually in dark or shadowed areas. Just looks like digital noise on most surfaces and it's there with DLSS on and off, so not sure what's going. And I have everything basically maxed out.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Anyone else on PC getting sort weirdly noisy textures? It's usually in dark or shadowed areas. Just looks like digital noise on most surfaces and it's there with DLSS on and off, so not sure what's going. And I have everything basically maxed out.
Have you disabled Chromatic Aberration and Film Grain? Disabling these two will make the image much cleaner.

Coldbrewblac

Sep 14, 2020
Runs and looks great on XSX in quality mode. PS5 seems to be missing this feature which might be why some are saying it looks blurry as it's likely running at a much lower resolution to hit 60fps. The 30fps quality mode on XSX is rock solid it seems. Haven't noticed any dips in frame rate.

If you got both systems and don't mind 30fps, I'd go XSX. The Xbox platform also benefits in that CDPR can release enhancement updates easier than on ps5 due to the way BC works on Xbox (might be why the ps5 is missing quality mode).

Thanks for the info, just picked it up on the XSX. Definitely don't mind 30fps if it still looks decent

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Getting awfully tempted to give this a go on my gaming laptop in lieu of waiting for current-gen updates to roll out next year... Definitely getting a sense of FOMO...

I've got an ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 laptop, so it can do DLSS 2.0 just fine which I hope will be the feature that gets me at a steady 60fps, even if I've got to turn some settings down. The framerate looks okay-ish on current gen consoles (I have both PS5 and Series X) but the image quality looks really poor to my eye based on what I'm seeing online -- the last-gen graphics presets don't look great to me. I am not sure how the last-gen console presets are scaling to PC settings just yet, so I'm not sure if the compromises I have to make to run at a steady 60ish FPS on my laptop will end up just making it look about the same, but the general impression is that my estimated presets will look better than console.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
This feels symptomatic of one of the game's biggest issues: The sheer amount of underdeveloped systems and ideas. It's shocking how much they clearly cut from the game. I don't really know what happened during development, but I don't think this is the game developers had in mind when production started.

Why can't you change something as basic and simple as build/muscles when creating your character? Why can't you get a haircut? Why are there so many dialogue prompts in which you only have one choice of reply and can't walk away from the conversation? This feels unfinished in a way I don't recall seeing before. It's not just buggy (eg AC Unity) and it's not unfinished story content-wise (eg MGS V), it's just extremely undercooked feature and systems-wise.

This sucks because I think Night City looks great is one of the most impressive open-world I've ever seen (even if not that reactive) and the quests and characters are better than I expected. But it's no exaggeration to say this was - at the very least - 6 months away from being ready to release. And now the developers will have to crunch even more and during holidays no less.

the game has been grossly mismanaged and if you notice the leads who've left the project throughout the years, you start to get a sense of how directionless the project has been. that would help explain for why the game appears undercooked feature and systems-wise.

I bet you a million dollars the game originally was going to be third person and then after 4-5 years of dev hell, they decided to cut it down to first person. This is just one example of a feature that had to be cut for production purposes, so it's easy to imagine how many other features had to be cut for it to be a shippable product.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Spoiler ALL Romance Options

1 Man, 1 Woman for each male / female V respectively
  • Female V: Judy (F)
  • Female V: River (M)
  • Male V: Panam (F)
  • Male V: Kieran (M)
Overall, super, super disappointing.