• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Did people forget how rocky Witcher 3's release was? Seems people only remember the end product.

Like there's no excuses for issues, but it was the least surprising aspect of this release.

Yea as someone who has played all of CDPRs stuff day 1, this is nothing new to me. The game a year from now will be a lot better performance wise, visually, UI, QoL and everything.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
A friend of mine bought the game and we've been testing it since the last few hours on her PS4 Pro.

Lots of bugs! Mostly cosmetic so far, like missing textures, NPCs glitching out, weird lighting glitches... In the first area there even was a lady sitting at the bar without legs. Her legs never loaded so it was just a torso on a bar stool. We couldn't stop laughing.

There was a more severe bug that happened during the first car chase, though. For some reason V's guns didn't load, so V was shooting with an invisible gun that didn't shoot anything. We solved it by reloading the last checkpoint (twice before it could finally work).

The performance is fine. A solid 30fps most of the time. But it's true that the frame rate takes a hit when driving in parts of the city. But honestly it doesn't feel that bad when playing. The DF video appears worse than how it really feels in action. But I should say that frame rate issues in general aren't something that usually bother me unless it's very bad. It's true what they say in the DF video about the game feeling a lot like how GTA was playing when driving around not so long ago.

Also, if it can help some people, we're playing in HDR and it isn't bad at all! Not the best HDR by a long shot, but not too bad either. You absolutely NEED to change to values to suit your TV, though. The default is complete trash. The first thing you need to do is change the Maximum Brightness until the point where some of the highlights in the pictures they show begin losing details (this value will most likely end up being different for each TV, so find your own!) Then, you need to lower the Tone-Mapping Midpoint value to offset the picture being too bright in the shadows. For us, the values ended up being: Maximum Brightness: 1030, and Tone-Mapping Midpoint: 1.60

With these custom settings, the HDR looks quite good!

I think we must have been playing with the photo mode for the last hour. This mode definitely has the potential for some beautiful shots. Here's one we took while trying different things:

tPmFS72.jpg

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you guys expect a 7 year old console with jaguar cpus running a game in 2020 ( (same with 900 series gpus), without some sacrifices. We have seen the same issues with ps3/360 to ps4/one transition.

Honestly these last gen consoles should have been dropped since yesterday but in reality they can't

but then games like TLOU2 and GOW exist on them.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
My friend gave me access to his GoG account as he can't run it on his PC without it crashing every 5 minutes. Just finished installing.

I've got a 2700x and a 2080, curious to see how it will run. This might be the first game that makes my 2080 start to feel older...

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Game hard crashed on me twice, on the same spot Tom from DF was getting his crashes on base PS4 (I'm playing on PS5). That area can get framey as well. Game had been pretty smooth up until that point but moving the camera around V's apartment building definitely pulls the frame rate down to what feels like high 40s.

Game looks bad for the most part on PS5. It's very flat, NCPs look like wax figures, most objects look very low quality. Some environments and NPCs can look good under the right lighting but those are clearly bespoke, hand crafted assets and locations. The game is also unbelievably soft and blurry. If the game had a quality mode like on Xbox I'd probably pick it over framerate. The visuals are honestly distracting in how mixed they can look.

Gotta ask again. No one noticing the smear of ghosting every time they pan their camera on PC? Running all ultra , 4K DLSS quality at 30FPS locked and it's just killing me. Upping the frame rate helps but it swings back and forth and I need to change to Auto to get a somewhat stable frame

It even ghosts on PS5. It's very noticeable. I don't know if it has to do with the way TAA is implemented.

Sep 7, 2018
This game looks so much uglier to me in person. I'm disappointed and reviewers weren't exaggerating, before I even get to a tutorial I started seeing glitches.

Day 1 patch didn't seem to change a lot.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
After playing a good chunk yesterday and a bit today I feel mixed on it so far. Good quests and character moments, but I think the open world is somewhat underwhelming. The last gen seams really show in terms of overall reactivity and just interesting things in general to see in the world. Maybe there's some really cool random events I haven't seen but after 12+ hours the world feels a lot more window dressing than I was expecting. Also I don't know if it was CDPR or online speculation but I could've sworn reading stuff that the world would have a lot of verticality to it, that's basically nonexistent outside of scripted segments during quests.

Also even with RT the lighting looks kind of flat, I think part of this is inconsistent asset quality around the world. The city looks great in vista/skyline perspectives but the block to block ground level stuff looks dated :/

The volumetric lighting does look great when seeing those big light shafts coming through a skyscraper 👍

Silverhand is a bit whatever so far as a character, the dialogue and one liners are more grating than anything. I hope there's some earned emotional beats somewhere, the ones I've seen so far feel forced.

I am 100% guilty of overhyping this thing in my head over the years and now its biting me in the ass. Silver lining is the combat has been fun and I like building and customizing my character so as down on it as I may seem its still holding my attention.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the game for what it is but I've got three crashes and a freeze in like 4 hours (playing on PS5). Game isn't very stable at all.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I'm really worried that people don't understand the scope differences at play between Cyberpunk and those games. Yes, Cyberpunk console versions are dumpster fires that need to be fixed but come on now.

why does miles morales run fine on base ps4 then? how about ac valhalla or ghost of tsushima?

there's no excuse for the game running like shit and cdpr selling this product for $60.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Played a couple hours today and I'm really enjoying it so far (xsx). My biggest problem with the game is the menu system and complexity of its contents. This is just the byproduct of a new game though and that will dissapear once I've played for a bit:

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
why does miles morales run fine on base ps4 then? how about ac valhalla or ghost of tsushima?

there's no excuse for the game running like shit and cdpr selling this product for $60.

Ok but those are actually apt comparisons as other open world games, not GoW or TLoU2. And I called the console ports dumpster fires that need to be fixed so ???

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I don't think this game looks particularly more advanced than the Ubisoft stuff, they just stylized it well and added in RTX... which makes metallic surfaces very attractive

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on a PS5 and thank goodness it runs smoothly. By turning off Motion Blur, Chromatic Aberration, and Film Grain I'm avoiding the most oppressive effects that seem to lead to the blurriness. Although, vending machines and some TV screens in-world look like the texture never loads in completely and I can hardly read the main HUGE fonts (but weirdly enough I can clearly read the "fine print" text on some of them that have fake health warnings).

What I really want to know though, is whether or not the HDR is busted. Should I leave it off? My TV doesn't have the best HDR to begin with, but most games makes it at least noticeable...it seems too washed out here...and I there's nothing that I hate more than tweaking TV settings along with the game settings notch by notch to find some sort of subconscious sweet spot that completely goes out the window the second I boot up another game or movie.

I wish there was a guide that just told me exactly what settings to use for my TV (it's a 2019 4K VIZIO model). I guess I can't complain too much since at least I'm not running this on a PS4.
Perhaps EvilBoris knows if HDR is broken

Morrowless

Oct 27, 2017
Wish this game had airducts to stealth through like in Deus Ex (and not just for Flatheads). Then I'd be more willing to accept the wonky stealth implementation.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Performance seems to vary wildly in a 3080 1440p dlss quality. 65-85 sometimes and then randomly it will stay in the 40s for long stretches.

It runs alright overall but yeah you basically need a 3080 to run this game above 1080p which is pretty nuts.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like they really should have made the map 1/3 of its actual size and just condensed it down and focused on
Did people forget how rocky Witcher 3's release was? Seems people only remember the end product.

Like there's no excuses for issues, but it was the least surprising aspect of this release.

Witcher hardlocked my PC four times, I had to physically turn the power off, along with a few soft locks and other bugs yeah Witcher 3 is looked on alot more positively after all the patches.

billiam

Oct 28, 2017
Ended up buying for PC, major components are i3570, rx 580, 32 gb ddr3 ram, LG 1440 monitor.

Actually surprised how well it looks, I am running at 1440 on high settings with v sync. Performance hasn't been bad, IMO fair enough not game breaking.

Haven't had any major bugs or issues aside from being unable to pick up occasional random items. I've played from nomad to first mission after getting to apartment.

I was getting some motion sickness, so changed fov to highest (100?) and now feel fine.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Ended up buying for PC, major components are i3570, rx 580, 32 gb ddr3 ram, LG 1440 monitor.

Actually surprised how well it looks, I am running at 1440 on high settings with v sync. Performance hasn't been bad, IMO fair enough not game breaking.

Haven't had any major bugs or issues aside from being unable to pick up occasional random items. I've played from nomad to first mission after getting to apartment.

I was getting some motion sickness, so changed fov to highest (100?) and now feel fine.
Are you targeting 60 or 30? medium settings?
Curious, as I have a lowly 570 instead of a 580.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a key bind for using horns or sirens on PC?

If not, weird omission, especially to get NPCs or traffic out the way.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
20201211112924-1.jpg

I want a more flexible photomode. stat. Well once things get fixed for console.

Why hard cap rotation at 60 degrees?
Why the limitation on camera modes?
Also can I get car radio playing through the photo mode?

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered but what's the general consensus on how this runs on medium-end PCs and how buggy it will be. I have pretty average specs, Ryzen 3600, RTX 2060S, 1440p monitor.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Okay so dealing with a super weird issue.

People walking on a sidewalk there's a bright light and they should be casting shadows.

The shadows do cast, however, like 5 second delays.

So basically the shadows are 10 feet behind the people and extremely lagging. Like the shadows are 5 FPS while the characters moving are 60.