• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent the first hour or so sitting around the apartment in shorts watching TV, reading the codex checking my emails. Then I got naked and took a shower. Finally, I ate something, had a cocktail, and hit the rack. I have no idea why I did all that, but it felt great. 10/10
This post is hyping me like no other.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Super impressed with both the GeForce Now and Stadia version of the game, I highly suggest those 2 over ps4 and xbox one by far
Is the stadia version basically the game running on Series X and PS5 or are there visual differences too?

I know there are two visual options, same as the Series X, so I wonder if it's pretty the same or some sort of hybrid version with PC.

Oct 28, 2019
I think I may have just lost 5+ hours of progress and I'm kind of getting mad. I was playing on GeForce Now and the timer came up for me to wrap up my session, so I saved and quit the game with over 30 minutes to spare. It opened up the GOG Galaxy client inside my instance in order to upload my save file, but the upload got stuck at 30% for a few minutes. It eventually started moving, but was really slow, and when it got to 42%, GFN randomly decided to just end the session even though I still had plenty of time left before I hit the six-hour cutoff according to its own timer. Now, I'm trying to sync my saves on my laptop's Galaxy client to see if it actually uploaded or not, but it keeps failing.

I finally got to the title card and beyond, so I'm gonna be fucking livid if I have to redo all of that. :( The story was just getting interesting...

Ouch I feel for you :( One of the reasons I quit using GFN as my main streaming service, they really need to add a grace period where they hold on to your session for just five minutes or so in the event you abruptly get cut off.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Im on vacation and only half way able to keep up with whats going on. So is every platform a shit show? Any consensus on playing this on PS5?

Seems like it might be best to just wait a few months until an 'official' PS5 version is released
i saw my brother playing it on his ps5, it ran really smooth. Doesn't compare to PC(in terms of visuals) but that's to be expected.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Did people forget how rocky Witcher 3's release was? Seems people only remember the end product.

Like there's no excuses for issues, but it was the least surprising aspect of this release.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Impressed with the number of ways you can tackle even minor "gigs" so far. Lots of room for organic problem solving and unique approaches.
Yep, loving the gameplay. Started on very hard and so far it's been really satisfying to plan ahead and flawlessly execute your plan. Or die miserably and reload haha.

I was super impressed by the game's visuals (i5-8600k and RTX 3080) and then it turned night..holy shit. Easily the most impressive open world game I've played. The only negative part is that I'm constantly stopping to admire all the details and take pictures. Let me play the game damn it.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

lmao

Wtf is this guy

photomode_10122020_22s0kf2.png

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Did people forget how rocky Witcher 3's release was? Seems people only remember the end product.

Like there's no excuses for issues, but it was the least surprising aspect of this release.

I Harvard better time with launch Witcher 3 than with this. Yeah, performance was in parts iffy on PS4 but it was less buggy and didn't look like hot garbage, which this game partly does on consoles.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I Harvard better time with launch Witcher 3 than with this. Yeah, performance was in parts iffy on PS4 but it was less buggy and didn't look like hot garbage, which this game partly does on consoles.

Witcher 3 was unplayable for me at launch, so "better" doesn't really mean much when comparing them.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Is there some quest that screws up your HUD for a while? I was trying to look through them but I have about 1000 of them. Making the game near unplayable, it's so obnoxious. =(

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing on a PS5 and thank goodness it runs smoothly. By turning off Motion Blur, Chromatic Aberration, and Film Grain I'm avoiding the most oppressive effects that seem to lead to the blurriness. Although, vending machines and some TV screens in-world look like the texture never loads in completely and I can hardly read the main HUGE fonts (but weirdly enough I can clearly read the "fine print" text on some of them that have fake health warnings).

What I really want to know though, is whether or not the HDR is busted. Should I leave it off? My TV doesn't have the best HDR to begin with, but most games makes it at least noticeable...it seems too washed out here...and I there's nothing that I hate more than tweaking TV settings along with the game settings notch by notch to find some sort of subconscious sweet spot that completely goes out the window the second I boot up another game or movie.

I wish there was a guide that just told me exactly what settings to use for my TV (it's a 2019 4K VIZIO model). I guess I can't complain too much since at least I'm not running this on a PS4.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
First day behind, 9 hours of Watson clearing and 0 story progress.

On very hard enemies are biiit spongy, but combat feels great and weapons sound amazing.

07gzKa.png
07gl1Q.png
07gn0k.png
07gSfe.png
07gvqx.png

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
My UI seems like it's stuck in permanent "you got hacked" mode. Anyone seen this? Making the game nearly unplayable... wondering if it's part of a quest or, if not, if there's a fix.

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To bypass the launcher in the PC Steam version:

Cyberpunk 2077 -> Properties -> Set Launch Options...

--launcher-skip

Sorry if old.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on a PS5 and thank goodness it runs smoothly. By turning off Motion Blur, Chromatic Aberration, and Film Grain I'm avoiding the most oppressive effects that seem to lead to the blurriness. Although, vending machines and some TV screens in-world look like the texture never loads in completely and I can hardly read the main HUGE fonts (but weirdly enough I can clearly read the "fine print" text on some of them that have fake health warnings).

What I really want to know though, is whether or not the HDR is busted. Should I leave it off? My TV doesn't have the best HDR to begin with, but most games makes it at least noticeable...it seems too washed out here...and I there's nothing that I hate more than tweaking TV settings along with the game settings notch by notch to find some sort of subconscious sweet spot that completely goes out the window the second I boot up another game or movie.

I wish there was a guide that just told me exactly what settings to use for my TV (it's a 2019 4K VIZIO model). I guess I can't complain too much since at least I'm not running this on a PS4.

I've seen people recommend you just turn the HDR off, it's a bad implementation. Secondhand knowledge, I don't have the game myself.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm enjoying this the more I play it, but it is really rough even on the One X. I've had a couple hard crashes when driving about, framerate is pretty bad too when driving. Patches can't come soon enough.

Also, while some scenes look pretty good, it overall looks quite dated.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to see the DF coverage of the PS4/Pro versions, and wow, the first thing that came to mind is The Witcher on Switch. But, the difference is, the Witcher on Switch at least felt like the full experience. I don't see that here on PS4, at least on the base model.

Oct 25, 2017
Neither my CPU nor my GPU are hitting 100% with certain combinations of settings, but the game is hovering below 60.
I've tried various resolutions with DLSS Off, Quality, Balanced, Performance, Ultra Performance, RT On, Off, etc.
What could be the problem? Is it the game itself?
3700x, 3080, 32GB RAM 3200 CL16

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Only from watching streams/videos uploaded on the internet, but I feel like this game visually underwhelms even when performing at it's best on great hardware. There's a certain lack of cohesion that I can't quite put my finger on.

It really feels like this thing needed another 6 months, at least. I feel really bad for the folks who poured a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this and have it just kind of land like a wet paper bag.

I think there are lessons in this, and I hope CD Projekt and other developers take note of them.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
14 hours in, this game is a goddamn mess holy shit. It needs like another year delay, not 21 days. Even ignoring the technical mess, I'm having almost no fun with this gameplay loop. I didn't think they could make combat worse than what Witcher 3 was but bah god, they've done it! Congrats to them.

This game has the WOAT npc AI for a decent sized game as well. It's like there is none.

Going to play Yakuza instead, I need a break from this game already, will prob just wait for the next gen patch now.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
My friends and I have spent the last day trying to figure out how you are supposed to play this game and we are all completely baffled. The combat is completely confusing and inscrutable. Why does everyone take a million damage to kill? How do we know what actions will cause people to turn violent towards you? How do I know when I am entering a hostile area? Sometimes it says as much, most of the time it doesn't. Hacking seems useless. Are enemies higher level then me? If so how can I tell easily? The list just goes on and on.

alienups

Oct 31, 2017
Neither my CPU nor my GPU are hitting 100% with certain combinations of settings, but the game is hovering below 60.
I've tried various resolutions with DLSS Off, Quality, Balanced, Performance, Ultra Performance, RT On, Off, etc.
What could be the problem? Is it the game itself?
3700x, 3080, 32GB RAM 3200 CL16

Same parts, same problem

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Almost 11 hours in now, right before The Heist mission I've basically just been doing side content and exploring the city. Have only run into like 2 bugs that required me to reload the game, only two t-posers, and really not that many minor bugs outside of random floating objects. I'm starting to wonder if my PC is just the exact spec that was used on some dev machines or something because its been really clean compared to my experience with other open world games at launch. If anyone is wondering I have a 3600XT, 32GB 3600MHz RAM (4x8), and a 3080.

A lot of the side missions are just combat filler with loot in there, but some of the side missions are pretty meaty in terms of the layout of the area and backstory involved. Did one side mission in a warehouse that felt like it would have been laid out for a short story mission and did another side mission where the story involved compelled me straight up kill two NPCs that I couldn't justify leaving alive despite them being non-combatants that basically just gave up. They were vile characters that had no gameplay/quest mechanics attached to them after giving up but I still refused to walk out of there leaving them alive.

Progression wise things a little weird, but I don't hate it. Normally I have very clear character builds I want to execute on but this game has me more fluid with my progression choices, spreading out some stats to reach some minimums needed for gear and spreading out perks among a few different trees. The weird thing is how abilities and augments kinda tied to gear progression so its been really hard for me to nail down specific things I want my character to do so I'm just grabbing what looks good when things are available.

Crafting is kinda underwhelming so far mostly because I don't have a lot of schematics for things that I want and I just end up finding better gear when doing missions. I just kinda grind out a few crafting levels here and there when I've accumulated enough materials just to interact with it.

So far the game has been a solid 9/10 where I'll probably sink 200 hours into a single character and not replay the game after. Role playing moments are pretty slim so far but I figured that would be the case with a named and voiced protagonist. It feels like its less about making your own character in this world, and more like "do I want this story mission to end up in violence, stealth, or try to buy my way out".

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
I feel for consoles players, game definitely has a rough start, so much stuff to learn and get used to. Im 15h in and having a blast, just did a particular 'funeral' quest and characters/dialog was fcking awesome.

Oct 29, 2017
Almost 11 hours in now, right before The Heist mission I've basically just been doing side content and exploring the city. Have only run into like 2 bugs that required me to reload the game, only two t-posers, and really not that many minor bugs outside of random floating objects. I'm starting to wonder if my PC is just the exact spec that was used on some dev machines or something because its been really clean compared to my experience with other open world games at launch. If anyone is wondering I have a 3600XT, 32GB 3600MHz RAM (4x8), and a 3080.

A lot of the side missions are just combat filler with loot in there, but some of the side missions are pretty meaty in terms of the layout of the area and backstory involved. Did one side mission in a warehouse that felt like it would have been laid out for a short story mission and did another side mission where the story involved compelled me straight up kill two NPCs that I couldn't justify leaving alive despite them being non-combatants that basically just gave up. They were vile characters that had no gameplay/quest mechanics attached to them after giving up but I still refused to walk out of there leaving them alive.

Progression wise things a little weird, but I don't hate it. Normally I have very clear character builds I want to execute on but this game has me more fluid with my progression choices, spreading out some stats to reach some minimums needed for gear and spreading out perks among a few different trees. The weird thing is how abilities and augments kinda tied to gear progression so its been really hard for me to nail down specific things I want my character to do so I'm just grabbing what looks good when things are available.

Crafting is kinda underwhelming so far mostly because I don't have a lot of schematics for things that I want and I just end up finding better gear when doing missions. I just kinda grind out a few crafting levels here and there when I've accumulated enough materials just to interact with it.

So far the game has been a solid 9/10 where I'll probably sink 200 hours into a single character and not replay the game after. Role playing moments are pretty slim so far but I figured that would be the case with a named and voiced protagonist. It feels like its less about making your own character in this world, and more like "do I want this story mission to end up in violence, stealth, or try to buy my way out".

Wait, is this satire? This was reading like the most lukewarm take on the game imaginable until you wrote '9/10,