• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Hey there!
I'm no Digital Foundry, but I decided to do Pixel Counts between both the Performance Mode on the Series X which is also the default mode and only mode of the PS5.

Even if I'm off a bit, I believe the information is still representative of the gap in pixel count regardless, which can be seen when zooming into the base images themselves.

I did my count with native PNG images uncompressed in 3840x2160 (Imgur Compresses these), with Film Grain, Depth of Field, Chromatic Aberration disabled in game for the cleanest look. I did this across a few images, but I uploaded one specific scene below as well.

The game appears to use Dynamic Resolution Scaling, alongside pretty rough reconstruction technique. This blended together with heavy TAA leave for a pretty rough final result.

The Xbox itself appears to scale pretty aggressively, even in scenes where you are standing still. If there is an NPC, Vehicle or some action on the screen at times the game will drop resolution even while not moving. This creates an inconsistent presentation. Once again, bundle this with the TAA and it leaves for pretty rough results while moving. Especially outdoors.

PS5 - Peak Resolution: 2176x936

Vertical: https://imgur.com/wC9alYO
Horizontal: https://imgur.com/I2QpTo9

Xbox Series X - Peak Resolution: 2688x1584

Vertical: https://imgur.com/Are6UbB
Horizontal: https://imgur.com/ZeIqZo0

Zoomed Comparison Image
https://imgur.com/X2ZZ1eV

-----

The difference between both is 21% Horizontal and 51% Vertical

I've also noticed that the Xbox has better texture filtering by a small margin, and higher resolution shadows. This can be easily seen during the day near the apartment area and looking at the shadows cast by the bridge on the road.

However the interesting part, is that the Playstation version does seem to be better due to consistency. It's a really odd situation, because I have went back and forth countless times and it doesn't feel like it quite makes sense. It's almost as if while the PS5 is running at a lower resolution, the dips are less frequent in the dynamic scaling and allows the image consistency to bring a better overall presentation. I think it oddly has to do with the fact the shadows are a lower resolution as well. Since there are less dark edges around the TAA and Dynamic Scaling on objects, it seems like it allows those edges to "pop" a little more and appear crisp. I assume this is purely due to the TAA/Scaling issues with blending nearby pixels during the variances on Xbox.

I noticed less dithering on distance foliage as well on the PS5. The performance between the both is similar, but that can be seen on videos already.

All and all it's hard to pick one of the two. They're both identical nearly, even though they shouldn't be.
This is not surprising considering that PS5 is probably playing the PS4 Pro version through BC.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So im like 3-4 hours in and just did a main mission regarding a Arasaka building. Does anybody know if
Jackie is supposed to die? Was I supposed to shoot my way out? I tried to be stealthy but let's be honest...this stealth is kinda ass so far. No fucking abilities...

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
My friend who has a PS5 and is currently playing it has sent me some videos and pictures of the game and my god, it is fucking laughable. It's to the point where I actually might open my copy so I can see how bad it is myself

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
its either input lag if you use the games 30fps vsync or frame pacing if you use RTSS. i cant find a good middleground either.

Yeah it's eh very strange to say the least. Going from playing Fallen Order to this and it's fucking with my eyes. Going to turn motion blur, v-sync, chromatic abberation and the film grain off and see if it makes a difference.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
The biggest french gaming website dropped their review for CP2077 on PS4 and Xbox One:

www.jeuxvideo.com

Test du jeu Cyberpunk 2077

Quel bien curieux lancement que ce Cyberpunk 2077. Ses longues années de développement et les difficultés rencontrées au cours de celui-ci semblent s'exacerber avec l'arrivée des versions PS4 et Xbox One Fat, consoles sorties en 2013 et que l'encart ci-dessous concerne. Bien que Cyberpunk ait...

7/20

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
How many of you chose to have cybernetic implants on your face? I can't decide if I want them or not. It looks a little plain without them.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
The share price is extremely overvalued. Expectations are that this is going to be significantly bigger than RDR2 and rival GTA V. The earnings estimates are 10x higher than what CDR achieved with Witcher 3. When expectations are that enormous and are not fullfilled, shares go down to reflect new and adjusted expectations. 8m is good for pre-sales, but analysts are expecting this to do 20m in the first 20 days and a lot of investors were expecting more. Given the terrible performance on consoles, people are worried that it will do much worse due to poor word of mouth. Pre-orders/first day sales can be high because of hype. More difficult to sustain it and you have a very rapid decay unless the game is better than people expect.

Wow. Any insights on what was driving such high expectations? 20M in 20 days would be crazy, I think RDR2 did 17M shipped in two weeks? I guess much larger install base would drive it (RDR2 2 platform launch, whereas this is 3 + next gen fervor).

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any video settings suggestions on console to help with it looking so washed out? Watching the DF footage, night scenes look so inky and rich, but on my PS5 and calibrated OLED everything has an RE2 style haze over it in all scenes.

The HDR implementation seems fully broken, or at the very least terrible, so I'll try turning that off as a start when I get home today. I don't recall it looking that much different with the black levels and though.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The biggest french gaming website dropped their review for CP2077 on PS4 and Xbox One:

www.jeuxvideo.com

Quel bien curieux lancement que ce Cyberpunk 2077. Ses longues années de développement et les difficultés rencontrées au cours de celui-ci semblent s'exacerber avec l'arrivée des versions PS4 et Xbox One Fat, consoles sorties en 2013 et que l'encart ci-dessous concerne. Bien que Cyberpunk ait...

7/20

a 20 point scale is...unusual but would be equivalent to a 3.5/10. Rarely do you see any scores lower than this that boot up at all.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The decisions behind threads for this game is fucking baffling and yes I am aware of all the issues surrounding the game/devs.

Make a PC performance thread. Every other post here is PC help or PC tech question.

Yeah. I understand the need to restrict CP2077 threads so that they can be properly ignored and PSA's can be attached, but we really need a performance thread in this case.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
The share price is extremely overvalued. Expectations are that this is going to be significantly bigger than RDR2 and rival GTA V. The earnings estimates are 10x higher than what CDR achieved with Witcher 3. When expectations are that enormous and are not fullfilled, shares go down to reflect new and adjusted expectations. 8m is good for pre-sales, but analysts are expecting this to do 20m in the first 20 days and a lot of investors were expecting more. Given the terrible performance on consoles, people are worried that it will do much worse due to poor word of mouth. Pre-orders/first day sales can be high because of hype. More difficult to sustain it and you have a very rapid decay unless the game is better than people expect.

I don't understand how CDPR managed to reach Rockstar level hype.

I mean TW3's writing was dumbed down and simplified compared to TW2 and the combat was serviceable. It wasn't exactly medieval GTA. It was very much a niche game.

Logically, CDPR sales and hype levels should be no greater than FROMSOFT/Bioware levels but somehow they shot up way past them.

I think its just luck.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
RTX 3080 + 9900k @5Ghz + 32GB 3600 RAM

1440p I can get:

Ultra + Ultra RTX + DLSS Quality + Nvidia Sharpening @60+ outdoor, 70-80 indoor

or

Ultra + Psycho GI + No RTX + DLSS Quality + Nvidia Sharpening @80-100+ outdoor, 100+ indoor

Not sure which I'm going to roll with yet.

I REALLY REALLY recommend turning on Nvidia Sharpening in the control panel (I use a low .35 amount) if you're using DLSS, it gets rid of the slightly soft image and makes it look native again. So much better. You can also turn off chromatic aberration in-game too for another clarity boost.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
So im like 3-4 hours in and just did a main mission regarding a Arasaka building. Does anybody know if
Jackie is supposed to die? Was I supposed to shoot my way out? I tried to be stealthy but let's be honest...this stealth is kinda ass so far. No fucking abilities...
I got a bunch of stealth abilities at that point (note hacking has a bunch). and I think that just a story beat. Nothing you can do about it

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
5900x, 3090, 32gb and 7000 nvme with dlss on quality gets me nice smooth and around 60fps gameplay. Only played for about an hour and haven't probably reached the demanding areas of night city yet. So far I'm already loving it!

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Any video settings suggestions on console to help with it looking so washed out? Watching the DF footage, night scenes look so inky and rich, but on my PS5 and calibrated OLED everything has an RE2 style haze over it in all scenes.

The HDR implementation seems fully broken, or at the very least terrible, so I'll try turning that off as a start when I get home today. I don't recall it looking that much different with the black levels and though.
Unfortunately on PS5 it's still just the last gen PS4 version in higher res at 60FPS. Not much you can do to make it look better. Have to wait for that full next gen upgrade patch.

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018

Yes, he is.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gave up waiting for a rig on GeForce Now after an hour, but here's the first few minutes on Stadia.
It's running through Chrome with the Stadia controller connected directly to wifi.

It runs reasonably smoothly to my untrained eyes, dropping to 30 when you set the performance mode to Visuals, as expected.

BioZilla

Jan 29, 2018
Pretty surprising cause the game on XSX is still really blurry. I thought it was running at a much lower resolution

As said in the post, I think the reason ultimately is an odd mixture of the aggressive dynamic scaling + TAA and the higher resolution shadows. Since there are deeper shadows around objects, when the image is reconstructed on the fly (and often) the mixture of their technique + TAA and the blacks from the shadows kind of make for a blurry image. Just a thought at least, while in motion.

The Xbox does appear to scale often even while not moving, where the PS5 does not.

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

I mean TW3's writing was dumbed down and simplified compared to TW2 and the combat was serviceable. It wasn't exactly medieval GTA. It was very much a niche game.

Logically, CDPR sales and hype levels should be no greater than FROMSOFT/Bioware levels but somehow they shot up way past them.

I think its just luck.

I think the hype came from when TW3 came out. The big bioware great story driven games (KOTOR1/2 Dragon Age, etc) came out years and years prior. Gaming has just exploded in popularity. TW3 was the first great game in that category for vast majority of people. People don't want to play "old" things, sadly.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
So... CDPR straight up lied that "Cyberpunk 2077 will have over 1000 NPCs with handmade daily routines." None of the NPCs seem to have any routines whatsoever, even the named ones. If you wait outside the bar, the bouncer will just materialize at 6PM instead of walking out the front door. This is one of the worst NPC AI I've seen in modern games. They all repeat the same 1-2 lines like robots no matter what you do, and even food vendors tell you to "fuck off" lol.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Gave up waiting for a rig on GeForce Now after an hour, but here's the first few minutes on Stadia.
It's running through Chrome with the Stadia controller connected directly to wifi.

It runs reasonably smoothly to my untrained eyes, dropping to 30 when you set the performance mode to Visuals, as expected.

I wonder what would happen if playing the Stadia version and it crashes. What kinda screen would we be met with?

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
My car keeps shooting into the air and exploding in outdoor cutscenes which is a pretty fun bug lol.

Haven't been too unlucky with bugs otherwise but the texture pop in can be bad on ps5. Definitely wish I could have gotten a 3080 😭

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Fucking hell this game is of laughable quality just got into act 1 after about an hour of play and already have a laundry list of bugs. HDR also seems busted on PS5 which is weird. At least it loads fast I guess.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 version is sub 1080p? You can tell.

I know they can't do a big next gen patch, but surely a resolution bump to a stable 1080p should be achievable quickly on both systems?

there is no reason why either the Series X or PS5 need to scale below 1080p looking like they do.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
RTX 3080 + 9900k @5Ghz + 32GB 3600 RAM

1440p I can get:

Ultra + Ultra RTX + DLSS Quality + Nvidia Sharpening @60+ outdoor, 70-80 indoor

or

Ultra + Psycho GI + No RTX + DLSS Quality + Nvidia Sharpening @80-100+ outdoor, 100+ indoor

Not sure which I'm going to roll with yet.

I REALLY REALLY recommend turning on Nvidia Sharpening in the control panel (I use a low .35 amount) if you're using DLSS, it gets rid of the slightly soft image and makes it look native again. So much better. You can also turn off chromatic aberration in-game too for another clarity boost.

What is the performance difference going from 1440p to 2160p? I have a similar setup and I wonder if dropping from 4K might be the best compromise.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
i cant be the only one who finds aiming controls really weird on controller? sensitivity and acceleration is all fucked up

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

The Witcher three sold more copies than erery Dragon Age game combined, and every Mass Effect game combined. It sold more copies in the year four years after release than Mass Effect 3 did *in total*.

I agree it's overpriced, but Witcher 3 sold insanely more than Bioware or From Games. The Witcher series has sold more than Mass Effect & Dragon Age combined.

Palgan

Dec 13, 2017

I think its just luck.

A bit of luck probably, but also good word of mouth from previous games and massive investments resulting in basically hundreds of millions of dollars for marketing

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
So... CDPR straight up lied that "Cyberpunk 2077 will have over 1000 NPCs with handmade daily routines." None of the NPCs seem to have any routines whatsoever, even the named ones. If you wait outside the bar, the bouncer will just materialize at 6PM instead of walking out the front door. This is one of the worst NPC AI I've seen in modern games. They all repeat the same 1-2 lines like robots no matter what you do, and even food vendors tell you to "fuck off" lol.
NPCs appear to be 100 percent window dressing. It's incredibly disappointing.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
this game on a base level is fun and tickling the part of my lizard brain that enjoys deus ex, vtmb, prey, etc, but man it is not even close to great so far. this is easily cdpr's worst game, zero question in my mind so far. it's fine. and that's pretty damning for a thing this hyped to be, maybe the worst thing it could be lol

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

www.jeuxvideo.com

7/20

Are they on Metacritic?

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 version is sub 1080p? You can tell.

I know they can't do a big next gen patch, but surely a resolution bump to a stable 1080p should be achievable quickly on both systems?

there is no reason why either the Series X or PS5 need to scale below 1080p looking like they do.

Source?

Someone here just posted their own pixel counts of the current gen back compat versions and neither console was below 1080.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The decisions behind threads for this game is fucking baffling and yes I am aware of all the issues surrounding the game/devs.

Make a PC performance thread. Every other post here is PC help or PC tech question.
Qft. I understand the need to not have 10 threads on this game but a pc performance thread is literally essential at this point.