• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 and Xbox One seem inexcusable. I can see "not as good as Series X/PS5" but it looks like they're running 720p and 20fps.

Never should have been released. As others have said stuff like RDR2 and Spider-Man are leagues past it on last gen platforms. No excuse for how bad this is.
You're right they should have been cancelled and they should have just released the next gen versions next year.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought the game and will be playing on my Xbox Series X so we'll see how bad this is. I really wanted to wait until the next gen update comes, but with CDPR that could be 2022. Going to also try it on Xbox One X to compare...

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until someone actually posts a vid of this circumcision nonsense I don't buy it. The steam forum thread the person who posted it is generally full of shit.

Oct 26, 2017
How bad are peoples experiences on PC so far? I about got to the open world area, but its steam refund and wait for patches ....or deal with the buggyness

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
Does removing chrome aberration and film grain legitimately help image quality and sharpness on series x?

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Well last night I couldn't help myself and got it on GoG. Still have the Xbox version showing up later to day from BB so I will see which one is best.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe anyone would defend CDPR and these last gen versions. The minimum people should expect is something that has a semi stable framerate even if it as 720p. Most people can't buy a new console and don't have access to a PC so this is how many people will play the game.

Also I guess I can believe it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

Wow, I wonder, does the PC version even have that density, though watching the Linus Tech Tips video where he talk about running the game with 3080 the crowd seemed glitchy, 2 of them even zoomed past him in a glitchy way (timestamped below). I wonder if this game will have amazing mods in 2027.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game reviews are subjective alright but how can any game journalist with a conscience give this game high rating, falsely elevating its metacritic score when it runs like garbage on consoles?

They should give another score just for consoles or lose all credibility.
The reviews were for the PC version. Why should the quality of the console port affect the PC score?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How bad are peoples experiences on PC so far? I about got to the open world area, but its steam refund and wait for patches ....or deal with the buggyness
In terms of bugs I didn't have very many, and the ones I did get were visual.

I feel like people always exaggerate bugs in games.

Or they just don't happen to me very often.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My new PC with a tenth gen i9, RTX 3060 ti, and 3500MB/s R | 3000MB/s W NVMe SSD shipped. Hopefully it arrives by Monday. Looking forward to seeing this with ray tracing. This game finally made me realize it was time to upgrade my now four year old system.

For now I am putting it on the backburner until the system arrives. It still looks good @ 1440p with some tweaked settings, but I realized I really want to experience this with all of the bells and whistles they cooked in, and at a stable 60 fps.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Despite it running like trampled horse shit. All I can think about at work is getting back to play it.

Havent played a game to 4 am on a work night since like... i dont even know

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Anybody else playing on PC using a controller? The sensitivity curves and difference between non ADS and ADS feel absolutely terrible. I messed with the advanced settings for like an hour and still couldn't get it to feel decent. Any recommendations?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
These performance comparisons I'm seeing are... oof. I feel bad for anyone who expected a good experience on base consoles and fuck CDPR for not disclosing how bad it is to literally millions of paying customers. They must have known for years it was going to be this awful.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I can't believe anyone would defend CDPR and these last gen versions. The minimum people should expect is something that has a semi stable framerate even if it as 720p. Most people can't buy a new console and don't have access to a PC so this is how many people will play the game.

Also I guess I can believe it.

Honestly I agree. I don't think this is laziness or anything but clearly the game was too ambitious and the team was spread too thin to make a competent last gen version.

Should have just been PC only for now, with next gen versions in the spring. Clearly the resources to make a PS4/XBO version that is playable just weren't there.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody else playing on PC using a controller? The sensitivity curves and difference between non ADS and ADS feel absolutely terrible. I messed with the advanced settings for like an hour and still couldn't get it to feel decent. Any recommendations?

Use Steam Input to set your own sensitivity curves and compensate for deadzones. Or go full flick stick since the game supports simultaneous mouse+gamepad

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These performance comparisons I'm seeing are... oof. I feel bad for anyone who expected a good experience on base consoles and fuck CDPR for not disclosing how bad it is to literally millions of paying customers. They must have known for years it was going to be this awful.
Common, people knew this 2 years ago when they showed the first few trailers.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

I played around 3 hours and haven't really run into anything game breaking. There is lots of open world jank, and one time after a mission one of the NPCs I needed to talk to was standing in an area I couldn't get to...that's the only time that made me have to reload my last checkpoint.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Playing with an RTX 3080 and a Ryzen 3600X at 1440p ultrawide, and hitting 60+fps is insanely rare. Usually around the mid 40s, and sometimes as low as mid 30s. That's with settings pretty much maxed, including raytracing, and balanced DLSS (no settings on psycho though).

GPU usage is around 65% and CPU usage around 50%. Switching off raytracing entirely nets me an extra 10fps at best. Don't see many CPU dependant options to play around with (crowd density etc). Horrifically optimised game, but hopefully patches sort it out. I can't stand low framerates and it's really hurting the experience. Conversations are nice, but as soon as you're in combat and need to move the camera a lot... 🤢🤮
I'm guessing that means 3080 ti would be the better card to play this game with those settings on.

Mamont1537

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I was pretty disappointed by nomad intro.
I chose it because it seemed more interesting to start outside the city, get to know places and people, work your way up.
And then
They just show you a video montage of your character fucking around the city, doing small jobs and meeting new characters.
That's exactly what I wanted to play myself!
But instead you get that "half a year later" timeskip.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I was pretty disappointed by nomad intro.
I chose it because it seemed more interesting to start outside the city, get to know places and people, work your way up.
And then
They just show you a video montage of your character fucking around the city, doing small jobs and meeting new characters.
That's exactly what I wanted to play myself!
But instead you get that "half a year later" timeskip.
It's the same for all lifepath choices and honestly very lame.

The biggest appeal of Nomad was being a fish out of water in the city and adjusting to it. But nope, have a montage and here you are.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

Running great on my 2060. All High Settings and I can even turn on RT if I don't mind ~30fps.

I don't have any hard numbers, but it seems like DLSS makes a huge difference. so you all but need a 2000/3000 series NVIDIA card to get smooth performance.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a AAA game meant as entertainment trying to appeal to the largest market possible, expecting much beyond setting and character is unrealistic.

For comparison, does Skyrim say anything? Do we expect it to?

No, but Skyrim didn't come across as insistently edgy. So, I don't need games to say anything, just to not put me off for no reason, as this one appears to.

I'll probably still play this, I was just curious.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Is it any more dense than a GTA though? Nothing I have seen makes it feel more dense and lived in as GTA5. Granted GTA5 just prioritizes breadth over verticality but yeah I am not getting that impression from the footage so far. But good to know that I was incorrect in my judgement.
I will say from the 4 hours I've played the world of GTAV is gonna feel completely different from Cyberpunk. Not sure if the entire city is like this or if I found a lot of the best vertical spots in Night city so far. But when you get into shootouts in Cyberpunk. There is almost always an option to start climbing the environment to gain vantage points or escape. While in GTA5 I found that usually shootouts either stayed on a more flat plain or in the sky.

Will definitely be exploring more of the city tonight when I have the time. But I would not be surprised in my 4 hours of game time so far if the common consensus for Cyberpunk is that the city itself is great. But everything else needed work.