• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Ultra, RTX Off (DLSS off):
yJitwg3.jpg

Ultra, RTX On (DLSS off):
sA2DgOX.jpg

I mean, there's a difference, but is it worth losing out on 60% performance?

In some areas RTX looks better, but in others (like around the NPCs on the bottom floor) the SSAO looks better.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
when its obvious the discussion is going nowhere...please just drop it instead of starting the snipes and name calling pls?

chur

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, I have the exact same set up as you and on high I am averaging around 100ish fps at 1440p at least until the beginning of your second mission. Did you turn DLSS on? or is that with Ray Tracing turned on for you?
No DLSS and no RTX when I wrote that. With DLSS I get 60fps. Were you in the city when you were getting 100fps?

Feb 3, 2019
yes, the game looks good if you have a 600+ dollars graphic card. my question is, why does rdr2 look and plays amazing on my base ps4 and this looks like its running on an ps3?

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
It looks pretty blurry on PS5. It's obviously a PS4 game, but it somehow feels lower res than most games I played on my PS4 Pro. At least the framerate is quite stable.

I'm also playing it on a 1080p TV and it feels like supersampling might not be working. Maybe it's just the dynamic res in general though.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting a miracle on PS5, is a PS4 game after all but is kinda sad how blurry the game looks.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Cyberpunk was supposed to be an all-out technical showcase over a stylized story driven, high-detail RPG. I think the game looks good.

I think what matters most to many people is the world building, immersion, art-style, customization and story.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Getting a pretty solid 60fps with DLSS 1440p with near everything on high/ultra and raytraced shadows on a 2060 super. Im expecting drops when it gets more hectic, but im surprised and it looks and runs amazing so far.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
thank+gif.gif

Real talk, you actually think those screens look good? I mean, maybe if you like squint or zoom out really far in your browser
I have no context for the game (or game development) and the following doesn't destroy my other post, so there...
Keep in mind that some areas will receive a ton of attention for providing assets, lighting, etc while other less frequently visited areas will get maybe one or two passes. Don't expect every area for large worlds to look good.

Hud Hastings

Jul 1, 2018
Weird, I did have an issue where when I turned DLSS off and on it tanked FPS. Maybe do a restart with DLSS on Performance and see how it goes, seems to be a bit buggy
Thanks! I'll give that a go. If it doesn't work, I might just forget about ray tracing until some patches roll on. Just mystified that it's dipping into the 30s while not maxing out my components.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Idk even the screens on Ultra settings with RTX on don't look like anything special to me. I like the Cyberpunk neon art style but nothing there blows me away technically.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It's OK if you find the game ugly. It's OK if other people find it good looking. I think we can separate that from performance issues which are a bigger deal.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I have no context for the game (or game development) and the following doesn't destroy my other post, so there...
Keep in mind that some areas will receive a ton of attention for providing assets, lighting, etc while other less frequently visited areas will get maybe one or two passes. Don't expect every area for large worlds to look good.
For sure. But I play a lot of games. A lot of open world games too. As I mentioned above, big budget open world games like RDR2, AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, and Horizon Zero Dawn all look better than this game. Hell Witcher 3 looks better than this game in some ways.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder as strong opinions start to weigh in:
There will be zero tolerance for trolls or agitators.
If you respond to a member's concerns by telling them how much you love the game, you will be banned.
Avoid sweeping generalizations about people who enjoy the game.
Do not engage in personal attacks on other members, directly or indirectly.

Don't let your love or hate for the game do you in here.

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
After reading about this game on its subreddit and watching a couple of streams, I think I'm gonna buy this game a couple months from now--maybe a year with the inevitable complete edition.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Ultra, RTX Off (DLSS off):
yJitwg3.jpg

Ultra, RTX On (DLSS off):
sA2DgOX.jpg

I mean, there's a difference, but is it worth losing out on 60% performance?

In some areas RTX looks better, but in others (like around the NPCs on the bottom floor) the SSAO looks better.

Another example where coloring is super dark where the other has better lighting and detail (rtx version).

Lighting just seems to be all over the place in this game. Maybe in motion or outside of comparisons it's better but sometimes things look good then other times... Average.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the initial Digital Foundry video on the graphics is pretty glowing although they do compare it to Crysis in that it may require a monster rig to look its best.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I mean, people are entitled to their opionions, but this game looks gorgeous, to me.

I've barely got anything done cause all I do is go around in photo mode...

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
My 3080 cries.

I'll probably flip RTX on here and there just to look, but man this game is savage in what it needs to run at a high frame rate. Running at 3840x1600, I settled on high preset, rtx off with DLSS still on quality, and I'm getting well over 60. But god damn. You save up all year to do a big dumb upgrade on your PC and the big game you were waiting to test it out on just slaps you in the face, lol.

Open world and ray tracing is just going to be a struggle.