• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Played 3 hours, so far its incredible

Now performance:

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - 16 gb ram:

Interiors - desert: 80 - 110 fps
Night city (depending density, time of the day): 50 - 80 fps

High settings - 1080p - DLSS on balanced

Now im confused if RT is enabled or not:

image0.jpg

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
There's some really weird temporal reconstruction going on or something that's messing with DLSS.

If I stop moving, the bars here are smooth. But the moment I move, they become jagged and it just looks really awful in motion:
That's what DLSS is. It is straight up a kind of temporal reconstruction based on samples, and that's why the image looks much more stable when you're not moving the camera, and why it breaks up in motion.

Jun 7, 2018
Germany
This is my first time using DLSS. I've heard all the praise, but honestly... looks hyper blurry.

I'm running Ultra everything with RT at medium and DLSS on both quality and then performance. I get better frames on the latter with my 9900K and 2080.... but both DLSS modes look the same to me on my 1440p monitor and I gotta say, I'm not impressed.

No way I can run this without DLSS at 50+ fps on Gsync... but this is very blurry, especially in the corners.

Also, I have an Area 51M laptop (laptop with desktop components) with an under clock and liquid metal... normally games top out about 80-85c after an hour on CPU.

This thing has been 95c+ within the first 2 minutes and hasn't dropped. I can't imagine trying this on a "typical gaming laptop."

Just a thought: Do you have Chromatic aberration activated? Try disable it.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The answer is canceled. There is zero patch that is going to get this running at a playable framerate for the PS4/Xbox base systems.
I disagree. Remember that the 1.0.0 build was made early September (that's when the game went "gold"). The patch was finally released last night. So that's over three months of development, that's an eon in development time. Let's wait until someone verifiably plays the patched prev-gen versions before making any judgements (no, that other video isn't verified to be post-patch, he says it was patch 1.0.0.6, where the newest patch is 1.0.2...he might be patched, but you have to look at the pause menu to see the real version).

Edit: IGN finally posted a verified post-patch video.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly fuck this game. This game looks like shit, runs like shit, plays like shit, and the storytelling is shit. What a fucking scam.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have RT on/off?

Off. I played around with RT and you CAN still maintain close to 60fps with some of them set to medium as long as you use DLSS. However, I didn't think it looked significant enough to warrant possible performance drops so I just turned it off completely.

Aug 30, 2020
I really like the game so far, and I'm happy there is environmental exploration (at least some). Game looks amazing but the performance is so steep! My 3080 runs it like my 2080 ran Watch Dogs Legion.

Jul 26, 2018
This will probably get lost in the shuffle but these console framerates are legit SHOCKING holy shit

Feel so bad for base console players who paid 60$ for this

That's a big Y I K E S for me.

I've bought the collectors editon for my myself yet gonna give the game to my sister and she has the Xbox One S! LOL! Enjoy 18fps gameplay!

Jokes aisde, im going to giver her my Xbox One X for the better performance. Geeze.. 18fps.. how does that get a pass in QT?

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
The best image quality vs performance I could come up with is RT completely off and DLSS set to Quality which gives me 70-90 FPS consistently at a 3440x1440 res w/everything set to High. When having RT and DLSS off performance was 45-60 FPS but rarely touching 60 and mostly staying in the low 50s. I never expected to have to use DLSS w/RT off to get acceptable performance w/my specs.

The game looks super clean and is impressive especially during the day in the city. I was just, you know, hoping to experience RT at an acceptable performance level.
Sadly RT performance still sucks with the 30xx cards, but we are lucky that DLSS exist. I wouldnt turn ray tracing off as well, but have to play around the settings for optimal performance tomorrow. Hopefully DF or Hardware Unboxed do video for the best optimized settings soon. Wonder how the game performs on the new AMD cards without DLSS (probably like ass with RT).

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Milk please test something for me. How is movement with the camera and in menus with your laptop's touchpad? And do the buttons work?

On mine it's literally unplayable. The buttons don't work, and mouse movement is super stuttery.
I just did a quick load to test it. I was playing with a controller, but I tried the track pad, and mouse and buttons, and they seemed to work fine on my quick test. Not sure what would be causing that issue.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What are the chances CDPR is running out of money and the game needed to release this year no matter the circumstance it's currently in.

I'm playing on a 3080 and it's just unbelievable the game launched in this state.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Some of the writing is fine and some is cringe. So a mix of both is what we are in for. I can tell the game needed another 6 months in the oven due to the sheer number of small graphical glitches I've had in 2 hours. The writing though...mixed bag. I don't live make V yet either. He can be ok but he talks in incomplete sentences like Geralt did a lot - and in Witcher I heard that was due to the source material but maybe this is just CDPR Schtick for writing.

No crashes yet on PC so I'm lucky there.
I just hope I stay at 30fps in the open world because if not I'm shelving it til I get a 3080...

Does V have much of a personality?

Love TW3 bc you're playing as Geralt, and Geralt is a super defined character and not a blank slate. Bounced off AC: Valhalla in part bc Eivor was really boring and didnt have much personality by herself. So is V more like Geralt or more like a blank slate? Thanks!

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
The answer is canceled. There is zero patch that is going to get this running at a playable framerate for the PS4/Xbox base systems.

Yea it just seems too ambitious for those consoles. Shit even the One X is having issues but that's at least playable from what I've seen so far. This is all beginning of the game stuff too. I'd imagine the fps drops will get worse the further you get in like most games.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
I went corpo route and I feel like I chose the worst moral path of the 3 based on the description. Now Im worried I didn't choose street since Im not out here trying to be an asshole lol

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the most fun I had in an RPG were things like stealth pistol playthroughs in Alpha Protocol. The shooting wasn't "good" in that game but it was just so fun to play.

So I'm sure I'll find some path I enjoy.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
What are the chances CDPR is running out of money and the game needed to release this year no matter the circumstance it's currently in.

I'm playing on a 3080 and it's just unbelievable the game launched in this state.

Seriously doubt it. Much more likely that they wanted that sweet sweet Xmas money AND they had investors breathing down their necks.

They are valued more than Ubisoft rn. They have the cash

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Yea it just seems too ambition for those consoles. Shit even the One X is having issues but that's at least playable from what I've seen so far. This is all beginning of the game stuff too. I'd imagine the fps drops will get worse the further you get in like most games.
It's not a problem of ambition. The game looks, runs, and plays like shit on a high end PC too

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
This is sort of embarrassing for CDPR tbh. You would think they would at least have nailed the PC version but I'm seeing so many issues with it on here and reddit. I get that they had to put the game on so many consoles but all that time and OT and crunch and it's still this bad? Such a shame.

This game encapsules everything that is wrong with modern gaming.

"gamers" show again how dumb they are while being in an endless hype cycle despite being shown very little, 3 delays and still a bug riddled mess including gamebreakers

reviewers gushing and raving like it is the second coming of the gaming jesus handing out the 9s and 10s while sitting on their cyberpunk chairs despite it being a 7/10 game that could maybe climb to an 8 with adequate bug fixes

juvenile writing and dumb jokes lauded as some next level step for storytelling while in reality it is sleep inducing.
no next gen versions at launch, yet people rushing out to play a last gen game at 1080p on their shiny new consoles. unfinished game that needs a full game download patch to run like ass, been here done that gameplay that is nothing special.

this game is peak embarrassment and just does one positive thing: it shows the real faces of gamers, reviewers and publishers.

Aeson

Jan 4, 2018
Played 3 hours, so far its incredible

Now performance:

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - 16 gb ram:

Interiors - desert: 80 - 110 fps
Night city (depending density, time of the day): 50 - 80 fps

High settings - 1080p - DLSS on balanced

Now im confused if RT is enabled or not:

image0.jpg

Incredible? What. The. Fuck.

The fact that you are getting less that 60fps anywhere in this game with your PC specs is a fucking travesty.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I still haven't tried without RT, however I've sort of settled on playing unlocked fps with quality DLSS with some shadow settings turned down. It feels pretty alright like this, basically console '60fps', if you have gsync I'd call this perfectly acceptable. Keeping the DLSS setting on quality prevents it from fucking the image up too much, honestly DLSS is worse than a low framerate in certain circumstances.

Basically this is a new Crysis, you either get to choose visuals or frames. This janky FPS is something you can get used to, well if you have gsync

I'm really bewildered by this game, it throws way too much on screen at you and makes none of it easy to track. It's kind of a mess, I don't enjoy it hugely right now. But it is an interesting tech demo

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Looking at some of these videos I'm trying to imagine what would have happened if the next generation consoles had been delayed a little and the PS4/XB1 were the only console versions available.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly fuck this game. This game looks like shit, runs like shit, plays like shit, and the storytelling is shit. What a fucking scam.

Can't say I'm surprised, though it looks good at the large scale based on some of the footage posted (street to city versus street to alley). Wasn't picking up the game at launch for reasons. One reason would have been avoiding day one game launches, as there's been a trend of big buggy games. This year is undoubtedly impactful for these big games and with the reports of Cyberpunk development this was expected.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone keeps talking about performance and graphics, but how's the actual gameplay? Is it typical open world fodder? Is it better than that? What are the quests like? How does it compare to the Witcher 3?
Giantbomb did segment on it at the beginning of this weeks pod if you're interested. They basically summed the game up as a mile wide but an inch deep. They were open to future patches fixing some of the gameplay/combat bugs but said the quest/writing quality is not even close to Witcher 3.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This will probably get lost in the shuffle but these console framerates are legit SHOCKING holy shit

Feel so bad for base console players who paid 60$ for this

I always knew the base consoles would look terrible, but these real life examples are what I would have considered to be exaggeration prior to seeing them with my own eyes. That One S footage is unplayable.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

The fact that you are getting less that 60fps anywhere in this game with your PC specs is a fucking travesty.

Performance and game enjoyment aren't necessarily the same for everyone I know there are a lot of really crappy running games I find incredible.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

The game looks absolutely amazing. Performance could be a bit better I guess but IDK.. this thing maxed out and RT enabled is just something else.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
The facial detail in this game is fucking insane. Ive never seen face detail look so damn good. the first person movement stuff is really well done as well. So far this game is exceeding my expectations. got it running well with some tweaks too.