• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there any word on how stealth-able this game is. Like...can you focus exclusively on it and get through. Or is it going to force you into conflict and make you wish you spent at least some points on being able to aim properly and take more than 3 bullets. Lol.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
why the fuck is there a second steam download bruh

what the fuck is a preload even? i must be confusing it with something else

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol my download finished at 57 gigs and now it tells me I have 3 more gigs to go

Is this game always online? Shouldn't have server issues beyond the download right?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
What difficulty should this game be experienced on?

Just go off of your own past experiences and preferences. Since around 2007, I haven't played a game on the "Normal" difficulty if there are any options, and usually just go with "Hard" for a first playthrough. Although since 2007, all of the difficulties have pretty much shifted down and "Normal" is actually "Easy".

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Bizarre that XSX has performance/resolution modes but PS5 only has performance. I'm curious to know the difference between the two. If resolution is much prettier I'll go that way, this doesn't seem like a game that demands 60fps
What's more bizarre is Stadia even has two options, weird the PS5 doesn't have it

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
download speed is great on the San Diego steam server - highly recommend LA folks switch to that one.

cloudzack117

Oct 25, 2017
SO i finished the first download fairly quickly, had a peak of 4.4 mb/s and sat around 3.5 which is normal for me. then once it finished it started another 3gb update and this one has been sitting at a 0 kb/s speed

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly, if I didn't have a decent PC and only had a ps5 or series x, i'd choose stadia.

ok, its been a blast, game is ready. Have a nice day everyone.
I'm tempted to pick it up if it's running at higher settings that the console versions.

It's going to be difficult to get proper impressions as the official reddit for Stadia are so biased, and digital foundry seem to have forgotten stadia exists (yeah like many people) and don't do any comparisons anymore.

If it's the same as PS4 then I'll just buy it and play one PS5.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Contemplating going Hard.

I usually do normal mode, but I was thinking hard mode for this game. But the lack of a transmog equivalent would mean my fashion is at the mercy of my stats, so idk how to feel about that.

I'm tempted to start on hard. There doesn't seem to be any trophies related to difficulty as well.

Might just do normal first and then hard on second playthrough. Didn't think this would take me so long to decide! Lol

Going in blind. On the hardest difficulty. Only way to enjoy these games.
Good luck!

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to listen to my own advice in the future. It's faster to download a game from scratch than unpack a preloaded game (at least on gigabit).

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
I don't see this after so many videos, and 500 NPCs? really?
Yes, during the day. Went back to the same area at night and there were only like 20-30 people in the same area. It was like a town square/social forum type area with palm trees and lots of benches. Rest assured the density is still very high like the original gameplay videos.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory whataboutisms and tone policing surrounding concerns of transphobia; ignoring staff post over multiple threads
So, I have been reading and reading. Damn, near a week now.

Cyberpunk 2077 is problematic and is nigh on banned from approved discussion and this situation (the polite term) has been begging the question: Has there been any discourse on how future releases are to be treated moving forward? Surely, if this CD Projekt Red game deserves this amount of scrutiny, most of the upcoming major releases should be treated the same, right? Logic would dictate. Is this enthusiast games forum open to banning discussion of, say, GTA VI? You know that game is going to be a powder keg for this community. Why hasn't discussion of Ubisoft products been banned as well for so, so, so many reasons? Fallout '76 also seemed to be problematic. Shouldn't that have been a prohibited title along with other Bethesda releases? Or on that note should not all Microsoft-published games be banned from discourse what with the ZeniMax acquisition? Guilt by association is convenient; the guillotine silences all.

One interpretation for Cyberpunk 2077 necessitating thousand-word mod posts (and lord knows how much effort and back-and-forth from the poor moderation staff) would be that trans' rights seem to trump misogyny and good, old-fashioned racism on this website, though that is not my take, I see the argument and I see the debate team hats coming out. Isn't Ubisoft an equally hateful company when compared to CD Projekt Red? More so? Harry Potter games are just a given for the ban-pile, I assume, probably releasing with a promised "text-only," mod-written thread, if at all. God forbid we get a Kingdom Come sequel.

If these numerous releases are even approved for discussion, what about the users who play them and comment? Did they happen to get a copy from Amazon.com? This is a company that openly exploits its workers to the point of suicide. This is a company that uses forced-labor camps in Uighur China. Literal slave labor. Surely users who use Amazon, WalMart, Cost Co., Best Buy, LG, Toshiba, Verizon, Apple, TCL, Sony, Microsoft, Ford, Corsair, MSI, Valve, Intuit, FIS, Google, Razer, Qualcomm, Alphabet, Facebook, Instagram, Intel, AT&T, Cisco, Comcast, Toyota, GE, WhatsApp, Adobe, Netflix, nVidia, AMD, Texas Instruments, Samsung, Insignia, General Motors, Philips, Oculus, Hewlett-Packard, or IMB products deserve a permanent ban because using these problematic company's products condones these problematic company's practices? These transgressions should surely be more prominent on this forum than say, a Mix It Up ad, the treatment of prisoner stereotypes, or sexual character designs, right? These are companies who actually make money from slave labor, yet this forum is writing 7,000-word posts about the lack of inclusiveness in a microcosm of a pass-time that requires users to throw money at the companies listed above (though, to be fair, I may have left one or two off that list but surely you get the point). This seems like a double-standard and this seems like hypocrisy and this seems like bullshit.

I guess my question is this: is equality important to the folks who frequent this website? I appreciate the political ramifications of this site's treatment of the year's biggest game release, but it needs to do the same for all titles moving forward or this becomes a hollow, one-note hill to die on, and, congratulations, people here picked a hill to die on, but it was the wrong damn hill.

And I guess my point is this: why does the opinion of a minority group get carte-blanche to dictate policy on this site, when there are issues in play that affect every single person here, not just a percentage? Where are the torches and pitchforks for the death toll a release like the PlayStation 5 induced? If you want to take a stance, good; take that stance, believe in something; fight the power. Good for you. Remember though, there are often much larger issues at play, and your time could be better spent on a street corner protesting the things you believe in rather than cross-checking which ResetERA users cross-post on NeoGAF. Set the bar a bit higher for yourself.

I mean not to belittle the politics of this community but more-so the manner in which it chooses to push them.

So. What do we do about upcoming games? Is there a discussion about this? And more importantly for the average ResetERA user: is there a transparent discussion – perhaps a sticky? - between moderation staff and the general users about what this website is rapidly devolving into that does not involve "trials by Discord," doxxing, or behind the scenes chicanery?

I'd like to know. Maybe a few others would, too.

Much love to every single one of you

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Cancelled my play asia order and bought on GOG. Can't even download it because GOG shit itself.

Oct 27, 2017
so I had 160GB free. The game is 67 GB. All of a sudden I see that my install stopped and it's because I ran out of HD space per Steam. When I checked, I only had 500 megs left. Hrmmm

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
claps to steam and CDR not sure who decides when patches are release but who ever you you can fuck right off...

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY didnt you release this fucking HOURS AGHOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo
now steam is fucked because everyone in the fucking world is tryna download this shit... I cleaned my whole house and waited alll fucking day.. and now I have to wait hours for a 6gb patch because steams servers are dogshit!

0 bytes total........................
giphy.gif

If you actually have a progress bar (in the small update box, not the main download management screen), it's likely unpacking, not actually downloading anything yet. Mine already unpacked about twenty minutes ago, but after whatever update happened (maybe the first patch?), I've been sitting with a slow ass progress bar in the update box that says 4 minutes left.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Yooo umm anyone on steam gotten it yet?? This is getting annoying 😞

Edit: this game really bringing out the crybaby in me jeez lol. You know what. Imma just not even look at the progress bar. It doesn't exist to me.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
So I have the message that my preorder was delayed to the 10th, but now it's the 10th for 1.5 hours and I still don't have anything in my DL list.

Buddy of mine has it running on Stadia on his phone though. He just doesn't have a controller here. lol

MagicPhone

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, just want to confirm that I can change to new Zealand on my xbox, play now, and then tomorrow switch back to USA and have no issues? Really don't wanna break something with my series x or game pass, but wanna be able to play it now.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Played about an hour on series X. Game looks great and the sense of scale of the world is huge. It's got such a unique feeling to its world I can't wait to explore more. The game is good.