• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would feel really stupid at this point to not just wait for the next gen upgrade. Game needs some more time in the oven. And I don't even know if it's really for me yet anyway.

Literally the only thing pulling me in is the 'launch window hype' that I always enjoy with new games. I still have so much Demon's Souls I can play. Hoping I can hold off if I end up getting it I I at least want a good performance.

This is me. A couple of days ago I was sure I would get it, but now I think I'm getting ready to wait for the patch. I still have Demon's souls and Miles to finish. Also, it's great to know that I'm not the only one who suffers from "launch window hype".

(as this is my first post on the thread, just wanted to give my support to Trans-Era. Simply being who we are shouldn't be so difficult and bring so much hate. Little by little, you're changing mentalities and improving the discourse of us all, showing us how much you're willing to fight for something that most of us take for granted, the idea of self and identity. This forum is better for having you here and will be better for the things you have to say)

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
First impression from Xbox Series X, still in character creation:

Oof, this character model is really low res and blurry textured. Hair looks horrible and not from today's standard. Hope this is not a bad omen for the rest or I'm in for a technical ride.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
What I saw looked pretty good performance wise. But that car chase around the 55:00 mark looks really weird. They seem to be moving SO slow, no sense of urgency, nothing bombastic at all. Just a nice quiet stroll through an on-rails car chase through a deserted city. Off putting.

I'll try to watch more.
FWIW I think that would be the same on PC as well. The speed at least.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Agreed 100%.

The game has been a poor experience so far on all fronts. Playing on PS5 and I've had over 10 different types of glitches in the first 2 hours (ranging from characters teleporting to floating cars) and a hard crash just running about the city.

Outside of that, the writing has made me cringe on numerous occasions and I am legit embarrassed to play this around my partner with the level of immaturity on display.

I can only imagine the cognitive dissonance some people might be going through in the next day or two.
With you as well. I've seen a few pages of that Cyberpunk lore book online and the sections read like a YA novel lol. Certainly nothing astounding so far and, as you say, nothing around it has been particularly impressive. It's the intro granted but so far just seems rather dull. Which is kind of remarkable when you have the genre and scope that it does and has been pushing. Perhaps another handful of dildos will help make me understand the maturity of the game lol.

It does seem like the OG PS4 and Xbox One versions are going to be really bad compared to the PC and next gen upgrades (who knows when those are coming).
I still remember being quite excited for the game when it was unveiled.
Just curious but are you going to play the game? If you are I'm looking forward to reading your perspective, either here or in the other thread.
Yeh the day one patch really will be the decider for last-gen consoles, especially the base ones. I don't know how you could sell the game on them in good conscience if it doesn't, but that's not really been a strong suit of CDPR's lol. Still, it hasn't dropped yet I believe, despite now being launched in areas, so I guess the jury remains out.

I wasn't intending to but had a conversation with someone off the back of my post and they offered a code to see how everything panned out. Been a bit of a mental back and forth but I was curious to see the depths, good or bad, of what they are doing with identities like mine and, like you, still have some residual curiosity around other themes. No real notion of hype or excitement as a consequence though. Will probably be a bit before a write-up as plan to work through everything that's there narratively. Obviously am playing as a trans woman in-game, so will see if there's actually anything associated to it or if it really was, as we suspected, just there for cis people. Heard that there's one side quest tucked away somewhere involving a trans character, so at least that might be interesting. That the primary storyline doesn't speak to or touch on any of these issues is a massive failing in and of itself though, and only underscores the concerns that there were pre-release. The reviewers that have touched on these themes certainly haven't had anything good to say for them.

Have to say though, even if you gut my pre-existing issues from the game – and that advert really is everywhere; even appears within a few minutes of starting the nomad/desert path – I would not be impressed so far. Visual fidelty is poor, the juvenile aspects are there from the get-go and it's all just distinctly.. average. There's are some previews from trans people and women already, which have been nice to read, and they highlighted that there's also an unhealthy dose of misogny mixed in with all the other crap. Only real driver that's left is the primary narrative so will see how they handle that.

Seems it doesn't make any attempt to actually say anything of note – which in itself is fucked after everything to date – so I guess the best case scenario is just a compelling, but more boilerplate, storyline through the writing itself. Said it in a past post but – going by the pre-release showings – there's this constant and bizarre duality to where half of the game seems to know what it wants and looks interesting, but then it has a second half of just pure juvenile gunk smashed into it. Makes no sense as you can easily imagine a path without that and it would have held interest without coming at the expense of trans people and others, but also a strong potential to sustain itself without the need for this edge it seems to to need to push so desperately.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Mdsfx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really curious regarding the performance on PS5 vs XSX. I didn't know what platform to purchase the game on! Grabbed Xbox for now...

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Should I preload I steam or do it right when it goes up to avoid the unlocking?

Depends on how fast your internet is vs. the speed of your CPU. I'd be a little concerned about Steam's servers chugging around the launch window. If you've got a modern CPU, I think I'd rather preload. One trick on the decrypting you can try is, if it's going slowly at the start, just use task manager to quit Steam & then open it back up. Usually it will start going faster after a restart for some reason.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
I was watching Cohcarnage stream and when he parted the car it was floating off the ground
same thing happened to me on XSX, once i got in the car, it went back to the ground. Also Jackie wasn't sitting anywhere near the chair and was sitting in mid air.

But apart from little things like that, i havn't come across any major bugs yet. Hopefully this day 1 patch comes out soon.

Maxxan

Jan 7, 2018
5.5 hours until release in EU. Can someone rich in Asia, ME or AU please buy both PS5 and XSX versions until then and compare them?

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
The Matrix stuff looks really confusing,I watched a few streamers and no one gets it seems(the thing with the numbers,55,1C, etc) so they wind up getting only 1 buff or whatever lol...I am going Nomad so maybe there will be less of that suff...? not my thing.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Whoo Nelly, the XSX/PS5 version having 60FPS right out of the gate is making me consider playing it there instead of on PC...or maybe a run on both? Too bad saves are not cross-platform/progression. Sure my PC will still handle the game better, but it is impressive the new consoles hit 60 out of the gate.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
what perks do you need to do this?
think it's one of the default quickhacks you get. just lb/L1+distract enemies

it's kinda like in fallout where you can hack and lockpick some safes to get an extra xp boost. at the very least my breach protocol level is already at lvl 3 lol

a bit similar to TES where the more you use/do something, the more xp you gain in that specific attribute and the lvls determine what specific perks you can unlock and use in that area.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That digital foundry video is absolutely gushing with praise for the visuals.

Guess this really is "next-gen" on PC.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
what is the version number for people who are on the Xbox? I have 1.006 or something like that- not sure if that includes the day one patch.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Huh, got an update on GOG which I assume is the 9GB one but can't download it onto my SSD even though I have 61.4gb free. I've already preloaded the game - has anyone downloaded got a final file size after the update?

Just happened to me, update was failing, I had to move a game out of the SSD to make room for it, still downloading so don't know the final size.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
same thing happened to me on XSX, once i got in the car, it went back to the ground. Also Jackie wasn't sitting anywhere near the chair and was sitting in mid air.

But apart from little things like that, i havn't come across any major bugs yet. Hopefully this day 1 patch comes out soon.
Yeah, part of general open world jank, I haven't seen anything beyond that. Except the NPCs get repetitive quickly.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
It may have been posted, but this 4K/60 PS5 video on Youtube made me feel WAY better about playing it on PS5.

youtu.be

CYBERPUNK 2077 Gameplay Walkthrough Part 1 [4K 60FPS PS5] - No Commentary (FULL GAME)

Cyberpunk 2077 Walkthrough Part 1 and until the last part will include the full Cyberpunk 2077 Gameplay on PS5. This Cyberpunk 2077 Gameplay is recorded in 4...
For those that have played on XBX, is the performance similar to what is shown here for the PS5?

derwalde

Oct 28, 2017
Which will grant me better performance:
PS4 Pro or
Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram, Radeon Vega 56

Any news on the day 1 patch situation? Sorry this thread moves too fast.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It may have been posted, but this 4K/60 PS5 video on Youtube made me feel WAY better about playing it on PS5.

youtu.be

CYBERPUNK 2077 Gameplay Walkthrough Part 1 [4K 60FPS PS5] - No Commentary (FULL GAME)

Cyberpunk 2077 Walkthrough Part 1 and until the last part will include the full Cyberpunk 2077 Gameplay on PS5. This Cyberpunk 2077 Gameplay is recorded in 4...
Haha I just randomly clicked somewhere in the video and landed on this

1:32:10

The bugs in this sure are something, really hoping it gets addressed quickly.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Thinking I might just play it at 30, or I will put that gsync monitor through its paces.

I dunno, either way I really don't want to keep any RT setting off.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4/XB1 version looks like Watch Dog for WiiU, I hope something can be done but for now avoid these. I dunno for One X / Pro.