• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

May 26, 2018
About RT, there is also this comparison
rEXYiKB.jpeg

Off looks more visually appealing, even if it is more inaccurate.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else's game on PS5 digitially show an earlier unlock timer than the actual date? Mine does right now - it is saying in 12 hours the game will be unlocked but that is only 12 midday here in Europe, a day earlier.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Here it is, the eve (essentially) of the game coming out and I got this email today about review codes:

We're almost ready to process key requests and should have a definitive answer for you in the next 36 hours or so!

So yep, that's where smaller sites like mine stand. I know the big sites already got their keys and reviewed the game and most all of us smaller sites may not get the review code until after the game is already out. I doubt too many people care about that by this point, but I'm passing along word.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia drivers can't really fix the RT, can they? It looks great outdoors but man, it's so weird in some of these indoors screenshots.

Theoretically, it could if the colour maps are being incorrectly sent to the current driver and it needs an update. But the new driver has already gone out to press and I haven't heard a peep about it changing.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not to pick on anyone here because it's been trending well beyond Resetera, but I'm starting to see the phrase "style over substance" -- which is associated with the tabletop version of Cyberpunk -- used to shield Cyberpunk 2077 from criticisms leveled toward its approach to themes (especially in the social context), world building, storytelling and the like. Aspects which many critics (at least the critics who are actually interested in discussing these things) have called safe and stylish at best. I'd really like to get ahead of it, because I feel like if we keep going down this path, we're going to get to Ubisoft levels of "our overtly militaristic game is completely apolitical," and that ain't it.

It's true that this "style over substance" thing is a direct quote from the pen-and-paper RPG from which Cyberpunk 2077 is licensed. So let's look at this quote directly. Here it is from the second edition of Cyberpunk 2020:

I want to get right to point, so let's look right at the heart of this without even considering how a creative team might adapt a tabletop RPG from 1988 in the year 2020 or address said year's massively different social contexts via the container of an innately dystopian genre centered around oppression and transhumanism (regardless of whether or not you think that the bulk of cyberpunk fiction is thematically shallow or that CD Projekt Red -- who I've been told since at least 2015 staff apparently brilliant writers? -- should have risen to the occasion).

So not even considering that (valid) conversation, this Cyberpunk 2020 guideline is clearly directed at the player, not the world. Nowhere can I find any evidence of R. Talsorian Games or Mike Pondsmith (who said in 2019 that "everything is political," by the way) directing or encouraging game masters to make sure the campaigns hosted in the world of Cyberpunk are safe, politics-free and wholly stylish over substantive. Nowhere does this rule say, "don't distract your players with ~politics~" (and mind you, this is 1988 well before we decided that human rights were "political"). If we're using this as a defense of CDPR making a safe, nonconfrontational, predictable game world, narrative or thematic underpinning -- one that doesn't seem interested in recognizing the context in which it exists, in which it has very publicly and loudly existed for going on a decade now -- my view is that CDPR may have failed in their role as, to keep the analogy going, game masters.

But my personal view aside, in no way does this rule from Cyberpunk 2020 excuse Cyberpunk 2077 from having a substantive narrative or substantive, relevant (or at the very least, self-aware) thematic content.

Hey. I think we chatted earlier. I brought that up, but certainly not to shield CP2077 from criticism. I just think people should probably temper their expectations about what this game might deliver in terms of political critique. 'Style over substance' is kind one of the TTRPG's only direct, owned statements.

Sure, as a rule, 'SoS' is directed at players; it is the first direct communication about the workings of the game from the makers to us, setting out how they expect us to interact with their world. That's no small thing; we are explicitly expected to engage with what is presented to us by the GM through that lens. That's not exactly sturdy ground to then be expecting, say, a new Bladerunner or whatever is it...?

The TTRPG this is based on is not a 'literary' work. It's political, sure - everything is - but it isn't polemical; it doesn't really have anything to say outside of that which is inherent to the genre already. It is a sandbox of rules, signifiers and codings to let some people roll a few dice and imagine away a couple of hours in a cyberpunk dystopia instead of a dungeon or whatever.

Could CDPR elevate the source material to tackle loftier ideas? Sure thing. That'd be ideal... but they won't. While the SoS rule isn't the only reason they won't, I think it is a fairly good indicator of which side CP2077 will more likely fall in the Aesthetic vs Thematics debate.

To be clear: This doesn't shield CDPR from any criticism. I unequivocally agree that CP2077 should be thoroughly critiqued, and I definitely think it should be held to account for the ways in which it appropriates, commodifies and ultimately exploits certain groups. I just think we shouldn't expect much given its roots.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Soooo i need help deciding on platform

My PC:
RTX 2070
I7 7700k
32gb Ram Ddd4 3200

Vs

Xbox series x

The additional thing that is making me debate is that i plan to stream my playthrough on twitch. If i stream cyberpunk on my pc that will bring the FPS down. But if i had it on xbox then my pc handles streaming while xbox handles the game performance. Im unsure how neglible the fps drop streaming causes so im not sure if im better off just getting it on the xbox.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

My PC:
RTX 2070
I7 7700k
32gb Ram Ddd4 3200

Vs

Xbox series x

The additional thing that is making me debate is that i plan to stream my playthrough on twitch. If i stream cyberpunk on my pc that will bring the FPS down. But if i had it on xbox then my pc handles streaming while xbox handles the game performance. Im unsure how neglible the fps drop streaming causes so im not sure if im better off just getting it on the xbox.

peeC

Zips

Oct 25, 2017

My PC:
RTX 2070
I7 7700k
32gb Ram Ddd4 3200

Vs

Xbox series x

PC. If you want to stream, use the NVENC (New) encoder through OBS. The performance impact should be next to none on that card. I do it on my 1080Ti and it's been fantastic.

Oct 28, 2019

My PC:
RTX 2070
I7 7700k
32gb Ram Ddd4 3200

Vs

Xbox series x

PC cause otherwise you'll be playing in a ghost town for the next six months

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any indication of whether this will be a heavily cpu-dependent game? I have a pretty beastly GPU (3080), but I haven't upgraded my aging CPU yet (an i7-6700k that is overclocked to 4.4 ghz). Generally, I get more than satisfactory performance in games that aren't heavily CPU dependent (or are well optimized), but in games that rely quite a bit on the processor I can't get 60 fps no matter what I do with the resolution or settings.

For what it's worth, I can run Witcher 3 at 4k and max settings at an ungodly high framerate, but I don't know if the engines are similar.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
What is the NVENC encoder enabling? Any downsides to using it or not really?? Thanks for the suggestion!
The NVENC encoder means you'll be using your GPU for encoding the stream, not your CPU. I'm guessing you're presently using "Software (x264)" for your stream encoder? This means all encoding is done on the CPU and can drastically impact your performance. NVENC is all hardware encoding, leaving your CPU some extra resources to do more important tasks like run the game.

This Nvidia published guide should help out a bit on further understanding: NVIDIA NVENC OBS Guide

EDIT: I will mention here that since this article, NVIDIA and OBS have come out with "NVENC (new)" which is a better forming and better looking encoder over even NVENC. Select that if you have the choice.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
What is the NVENC encoder enabling? Any downsides to using it or not really?? Thanks for the suggestion!

Uses GPU hardware encoder to encode the stream instead of CPU software encoding. If you run OBS as admin you won't have stream stuttering when at maximum GPU usage. It'll hit GPU framerate slightly, but it wont be that bad, and wont affect game fps at all if you are capped below 100% GPU usage.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Almost 12 hours before AU launch, and there is still no definitive comparison of PS5 vs Series X out there?

I assume the One X Enhanced port will play better, but still undecided which platform to go for...

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Realistically what kind of performance can I expect from this on an i7-6700 and a 1080 Ti?

Was planning on waiting for 3080s and I still might but we all know that story.

I have a 4K TV or a 3440x1440p monitor to work with.

Oct 28, 2019
Is there any indication of whether this will be a heavily cpu-dependent game? I have a pretty beastly GPU (3080), but I haven't upgraded my aging CPU yet (an i7-6700k that is overclocked to 4.4 ghz). Generally, I get more than satisfactory performance in games that aren't heavily CPU dependent (or are well optimized), but in games that rely quite a bit on the processor I can't get 60 fps no matter what I do with the resolution or settings.

For what it's worth, I can run Witcher 3 at 4k and max settings at an ungodly high framerate, but I don't know if the engines are similar.

Toms Hardware tested cpu scaling by including a i7-7700 with a 3090 in the benchmark but they had to delete the graphs. I remember a heavy chunk missing from the bar though. I also suspect a lot of it is going to be dependent on how high you crank the density slider up.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
The NVENC encoder means you'll be using your GPU for encoding the stream, not your CPU. I'm guessing you're presently using "Software (x264)" for your stream encoder? This means all encoding is done on the CPU and can drastically impact your performance. NVENC is all hardware encoding, leaving your CPU some extra resources to do more important tasks like run the game.

This Nvidia published guide should help out a bit on further understanding: NVIDIA NVENC OBS Guide
Uses GPU hardware encoder to encode the stream instead of CPU software encoding. If you run OBS as admin you won't have stream stuttering when at maximum GPU usage. It'll hit GPU framerate slightly, but it wont be that bad, and wont affect game fps at all if you are capped below 100% GPU usage.
Thanks to both of you!! Im definitely going to give this a shot!

Nov 19, 2017
I want to confirm something I read earlier in the thread. Playing on the Series X, the game is very soft. I tried turning off dof, CA, and film grain, but it looks like upscale 720p. It doesn't help that Ove been playing Native 4K games since I got the console, but this looks like it has a softness filter applied.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Is that wack first person mode forced when you are out of the car? Just curious.
Yes it is. If anything, I'm perplexed as to why they allowed third-person perspective when driving because of the imposed first-person everywhere else. I mean, if you're all about full immersion to drive home your gameplay why isn't it also imposed while driving? Seems like there's a disconnect there.

May 26, 2018
Yes it is. If anything, I'm perplexed as to why they allowed third-person perspective when driving because of the imposed first-person everywhere else. I mean, if you're all about full immersion to drive home your gameplay why isn't it also imposed while driving? Seems like there's a disconnect there.

Probably tried third person on foot and couldn't make it work.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City

Having both third and first person character interactions and combat is not nearly as simple as being able to toggle vehicle viewpoints, the animation work is significant and third person driving is basically the default view in most games.

Oct 28, 2019
Realistically what kind of performance can I expect from this on an i7-6700 and a 1080 Ti?

Forget 4K, 1440p @ ultra should net you around 40fps with a 1080 Ti

I have a GTX 2070 and a i7-8700 - any chance I'll be able to run this on ultra without RT enabled?

yeah, easily on 1080 and a decent framerate on 1440

Cyberpunk-2077-PC-Performance-Benchmarks_-AMD-NVIDIA-GPUs-_-1080p-Ultra-1480x829.png

Cyberpunk-2077-PC-Performance-Benchmarks_-AMD-NVIDIA-GPUs-_-1440p-Ultra-1480x829.png

May 24, 2019
I want to confirm something I read earlier in the thread. Playing on the Series X, the game is very soft. I tried turning off dof, CA, and film grain, but it looks like upscale 720p. It doesn't help that Ove been playing Native 4K games since I got the console, but this looks like it has a softness filter applied.

Is this in performance or graphics modes? Is it a smooth 60fps in performance?

edit: Can you take a screenshot in both modes and post them?

thechicco96

Apr 17, 2018
Honestly with what Ive seen so far id say Switcher over Xbox 1. It actually looks really nice in handheld and doesnt have so many bonkers visual glitches

Lol. Witcher 3 on Switch is pure shit. I mean, it's good for that kind of hardware, but c'mon, there's no need for hyperboles. Cyberpunk will look far better also on X1.

Gumbie

Oct 28, 2017

60fps like ps5 I assume?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

I have same video card and similar CPU. Every person I've talked to in here has said to expect 1440p at high-ultra settings 40-60fps with no RT of course.

My plan is to Max settings and lock to 30fps and try 1440 and 4K. I doubt I'll get 60 licked at either res so I'm locking it to avoid stutter etc. you can get 60 I'm sure if you lower settings/res if that's what you care about.

Nov 19, 2017
Is this in performance or graphics modes? Is it a smooth 60fps in performance?

edit: Can you take a screenshot in both modes and post them?

I tried both. Performance is pretty similar but seems like it has some aggressive dithering happening. Quality may be a tad less soft, I'm leaving it on qualityto see how it performs during heavy action.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Just got an email from Best Buy apologizing for the confusion today about my order pickup and to be "rest assured" that I'd be able to pick up the game on Thursday.

uhhhh. I already picked it up.