• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I think my main concern is just how good / bad the side content is. If it's 50 hours of tedium / cut and paste quests, no thank you, if it's 50 hours of quality side quests in the same vein as Witched 3 then sign me up. No issues with a short main quest if the side quests are good, it's just a matter of how good they actually are.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
The length is what you make it. Tons of side quests are just as good as main and feed into it.

One reviewer beat the main quest in 25 hours.

Then loaded an earlier save, did 25+ hours of incredible side content with same quality as main story, and when redoing the ending at 60+ hours had 7 different endings instead of the 3 he had after 25 hours.

Game is massive. It won't feel short. Take your time. Do the side quests to develop your relationships with other characters.

Apparently it makes the ending much more impactful. Not to mention, the side content is incredible.

Yep and always remember that a lot of reviewers will do very little side content on their first play through in order to meet the review deadline. Of course, this can vary from person to person. Put a game like The Witcher 3 on easy and you can FLY through the main campaign in a relative short amount of time.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I think my main concern is just how good / bad the side content is. If it's 50 hours of tedium / cut and paste quests, no thank you, if it's 50 hours of quality side quests in the same vein as Witched 3 then sign me up. No issues with a short main quest if the side quests are good, it's just a matter of how good they actually are.

Bunch of posts on page 29 talking about quality side content.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
If the experience as a whole is satisfying, why doesn't it make sense?

I found my appreciation of the game improved the longer I played it. By the end, before reviews were out, I thought it was a very solid 9/10 myself, even with a lot of persistent bugs. I just really enjoyed it and found it - "edgy" silliness aside - very 2007-2012 BioWare, which is one of my favorite runs in gaming.

If this game scratches that bioware 2007-2012 itch then it's easily going to be my favourite game in a long time...

So looking forward it in just over 24 hours

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Cyberpunk 2077 is a completely different beast from Skyrim. I personally wouldn't recommend the game if you want a sandbox to play around with gameplay systems and explore. My impression is that Cyberpunk is all about the story and characters.

It has been my expectation since day one but I imagine that some people might feel a bit bummed about this revelation given the insane hype cycle that was created.
Yeah but then again, Witcher 3 was the same way. It wasn't trying to be Skyrim. Sounds like Cyberpunk is -- not surprisingly -- the same.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Finally a trailer that doesn't make the game look like a shallow, quirky and edgy GTA clone set in the future.
I fucking hate how the game looks and feels like in 80% of the trailers but there's a couple of them that make me really excited about it. I'm just hoping it's just pure marketing to catch the teenage GTA crowd and that the game isn't as shallow and childish as some trailers made it seem like.

It would be the biggest disappointment if after 8 years all we got is a Cyberpunk game that's just "yayy future, look at these cool guns and cars and body modifications" without any substance or social commentary. Right up there with Game of Thrones

The reviewers I trust mention that it's like the GTA style of writing. Except that GTA usually goes towards satire, while the juvenile writing in Cyberpunk 2077 is portrayed as serious.

I mean, there's a
sex scene where it's just the woman moaning and hardcore rock and roll song in the background
, just like those Hollywood edgy movies with college students feeling all badass just because they're having sex.

In this case, you're also collecting dildos in almost every area you go. And there's no commentary on the transphobic ads. They're just there. If a patch removed them, nothing would be missed because no character talks about them.

Aaandd there goes all my hope...

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The quality of writing is a different matter and open for criticism. :)

I just find it silly to call the writing trash solely because the story is about something else than one was expecting. Maybe it is a trash story, but if the story goes to unexpected places, it does not automatically make it trash.
I never called the writing trash (though it seems like it's leaning that way, based on the dialogue that I've seen), I called the game trash (due to its controversies created by CDPR, mainly racism and transphobia). I said it's bad and laughable that the game failed to deliver anything meaningful about the inherent themes in a cyberpunk setting (according to the many reviews that have mentioned it), despite heavily advertising that it's got something to say.

You're misreading my posts.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Preinstalling on Steam. Cannot wait to get stuck in. Upgraded my PC specially so I can enjoy all the raytraced goodness.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

nAYJsz8.gif

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
You think I will be able to run this game on an Intel Xeon e3-1230 v2 @ 3.30ghz? The rest of my PC should be up to snuff but Im not so sure about my CPU.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Have any of the reviewers/leakers tried to re-create FemV from the 2018 demo? I hope it's possible.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm disappointed to read that the side quests are typical open world BS. Witcher 3 side quests were the main reason I was excited for this game.

ElPresidente

Oct 28, 2017
So I initially got an email stating that the release date had moved up. Soon after, got another email telling me my order was delayed. I contacted support and they just told me they can't fulfill the order. Xbox copy for curbside, btw. I'm wondering if it's a hiccup, or if they're truly having issues meeting demand.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

Couldn't agree more, but I think for the most part games journalism is pretty... simplistic, let's say. And if there's any silver lining to this whole shameful mess it's that we're getting to see which journalists and sites take their roles seriously. Kotaku's Riley Macleod has done a great job for example, and I hope people here highlight more great reviews as they come in:

I think my main takeaway so far is that CDPR were not the right people to make this game, and their status as top-tier writers is exaggerated. I think they might well be the best at open world environment design right now, but give them a world that requires some serious political discourse and an imagining of how current societal issues will have progressed over the next half century and they just don't have the calibre to pull it off, nor apparently the stones to even attempt to in any significant way.

Excellent, thank you for these. And, Darkstorne, couldn't agree more on both of those sentiments.

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm going to be playing this on PC with a 2060 paired with a Ryzen 3600x, I hope with DLSS 2.0 I can get a somewhat decent performance with RT turned off.

I am liking what I am hearing overall about the gameplay and story length.
same got a 2060 and a r3600 im sure your fine with RTX off.. unless your going for 4k... , your better off going in 1080p im stuck at 1080p 60fps because my computer is on an oled but im cool with that... Ima try DLSS in 720p up scaled to 1080p and see how high I can go with the Ray tracing. soo glad i go a pc this year but i still should of waited or went for it and got a 2070 super at least or waited for the 3070... But I was getting this on base ps4 and WOW some of the leaks the game doesnt look good at all on console.

Nov 1, 2017
The reviewers I trust mention that it's like the GTA style of writing. Except that GTA usually goes towards satire, while the juvenile writing in Cyberpunk 2077 is portrayed as serious.

I mean, there's a
sex scene where it's just the woman moaning and hardcore rock and roll song in the background
, just like those Hollywood edgy movies with college students feeling all badass just because they're having sex.

In this case, you're also collecting dildos in almost every area you go. And there's no commentary on the transphobic ads. They're just there. If a patch removed them, nothing would be missed because no character talks about them.

Just to add some clarification to this scene... It's not supposed to be "cool" in-game.

Johnny's an asshole having a breakdown, and Alt, the woman he's sleeping with, says as much to him. She also weighs heavily on events later in the game.

Jan 10, 2018
Well, thats the problem if people play on normal and say that it isn´t challenging...most reviewers are nonsensical.

Yeah, I've thought about that for quite some time. Maybe they are obligated to play on normal because that's what the general experience will be?

But yes, it's rather nonsensical to complain about difficulty when there is an option to make it more difficult.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Here's to the fathers, husbands and employees that won't be able to indulge until the kids are asleep, the wives are satisfied and the work is done.

I've been waiting for this game for a long time and the time is nearly here, I just have to do a few things first....

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah but then again, Witcher 3 was the same way. It wasn't trying to be Skyrim. Sounds like Cyberpunk is -- not surprisingly -- the same.
Yep, you're completely right. But I think lots of people had trouble managing their expectations for this title and were envisioning the open world sandbox of Skyrim combined with the storytelling of The Witcher 3 where you could be anyone you wanted to be and do anything you wanted to do.

This might have been the ambition once for CDPR but I think there's a reason that they went the route of V, who seems more similar in terms of personality to Geralt than a blank slate protagonist from your average RPG. They've always been focused on storytelling first and my biggest fear was that this would end up feeling undercooked due to lacking a set protagonist. Luckily that's not the case though.

Some interesting information by Gamestar.de on how sidequests work. (translation)

When it comes to playing time, Cyberpunk 2077 works quite differently than most open-world games. Instead of relying on 200 hours of icon browsing, I reached the last mission of the campaign after just 25 hours . I know, I know, some of you are now stunned when the vacation application falls out of your hand, but don't worry: you can still kiss your partner goodbye and disappear for a week into the gaming basement vacation. Cyberpunks Open World works completely differently than that of the competition in crucial areas.

Many of the "side" quests of Cyberpunk 2077 are not side quests at all, at least not in the sense that you know them from other games. Several hours of storylines develop around almost every important supporting character, which you can follow at your own discretion. Completely optional. My Nomaden-V, for example, returned to the wasteland around Night City to experience hours of adventure with a battered tribe. Most importantly, many of these side quests affect the endings of the main story.

My final mission was radically different from Maurice's because I took certain side missions with me and reacted differently to those around me. We found seven fundamentally different possible endings, which are then further subdivided in the credits by many smaller decisions that V made.

I don't know of any other open world game with such good side missions.

It really seems like CDPR went all out on side quest quality compared to The Witcher 3. Very happy to see that.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
So how am i looking?

RTX 2070
Intel i7-7700k
32gb Ram ddr4 3200

Will 1440p ultra be possible with raytracing off at 60fps?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to length Gamestar mentioned that it varies heavily based on how many critical side-quests you do. They are basically side quests that impact the main story but are optional. They said it extends the game length from 20 to 60 hours. If you add in other side quests they estimate it's around 100 hours.

I personally think it's a great design choice and wish more games would do this. For example, I myself am feeling super burned out by the extremely long campaign of Valhalla. In this manner you have the best of both worlds: if you prefer short games or lack the time, you can finish it in a reasonable amount of time. If you want to delve deeper into a large RPG, that's also an option.

If all side quests together were around 100 hours, that would put it around witcher 3 length, which is great! I rather have a smaller main story and more side quests than the other way around.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Between those transphobic hate, the horrible crunch stories, and now the epileptic trigger - this has to be one of the most disgusting, irresponsible games ever made.

Honestly sickening.

ExReey

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome launch trailer!

I read a couple of reviews, but couldn't find a decent one. So far all reviews I encountered are awful, and read more like previews: it's like they all reviewed the prerelease demo material and trailers.

Things I'm looking for in a review about the game:
- is this a hardcore rpg, an action rpg, or more a pure action game?
- do you only get to play one character? Or can you recruit other NPC's to form a team, like in multiple other cRPG's?
- tell me about the skill trees/attributes/special abilites: how many? Varied? Interesting combo's possible? Do you buy them with XP? Do you level your char?
- Are there different classes, or do you specialize by playing (like in The Elder Scrolls)?
- Is combat skillbased or numbers based? Are enemies bullet sponges like in Borderlands/Destiny/..?
- How is the loot? Is there crafting? Upgradeable weaponry?
- Is there some kind of magic/science/whatever-like spell system?
- Mainquest: are there multiple storylines, can some storylines be completely unaccessible because of choices you make (like in The Witcher 2 for example)? What about side quests? Which other activities are possible?
- Are there joinable factions? Faction wars?
- Is there a realtime day/night cycle? Do NPC's have schedules?
- Can you enter all builings (again: Elder Scrolls)? Can you break in? If yes, are there consequences? Can you be wanted by the authorities?
- How are the cutscenes? Dialogues: are there skill-based choices like in Baldur's Gate?
- Can you tackle problems in a multitude of ways like in Deus Ex? Id' like some cool examples that were not yet in the preview demos :)
- Are there other, smaller locations besides the large Night CIty map?
- Can you buy property? Build/decorate houses (Fallout 4 style)?
- Is there a dynamic economy?

All reviews I've found so far are pretty terrible. Can anyone point me to some reviews which talk about the above kind of stuff?

Thanks!!

About the epilepsy concerns: usually I'm not really prone to this kind of stuff, but I have to say, the recently released "photo mode trailer" is really hard to watch, even for people who don't have epilepsy...

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
So how am i looking?

RTX 2070
Intel i7-7700k
32gb Ram ddr4 3200

Will 1440p ultra be possible with raytracing off at 60fps?

Tom's Hardware:

We'll get to the DLSS results in a moment, but it's worth mentioning that you don't have to have RT enabled to use DLSS. For example, the RTX 2060 managed a respectable 55 fps average at 4K medium with DLSS Performance mode. Sure, that's upscaling 1080p to 4K using an AI algorithm, but the end result is actually quite good—better than native 1080p, probably comparable to 1440p. A 130 percent bump in performance while keeping the crisp UI elements is certainly worth a thought. (You can use non-DLSS upscaling as well, if you want, though the results definitely lose some detail.)

This might be useful to extrapolate to your GPU. COnsider that there is stil a patch incoming + no DRM retail version.

www.tomshardware.com

Cyberpunk 2077 PC Benchmarks, Settings, and Performance Analysis

We've tested Cyberpunk 2077 on a bunch of GPUs to see how it runs. Spoiler: It's very demanding.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
When a take a setting known for being social criticism and avoid social criticism at all cost while making a spectacle of minorities and lower classes being exploited violently and sexually... That's some fucking clown shit.

And collecting dildos? Really? That's "mature"? Give me a break.

I think you missed my points, which are: 1) it is not fair to call the story trash because it does something else than you were expecting, and 2) you should not read too much into video game marketing and expect the actual game to deliver. There is no contract between a developer and a gamer as to what themes the story should explore.

The quality of the story and the game itself are open for all criticism.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
same got a 2060 and a r3600 im sure your fine with RTX off.. unless your going for 4k... , your better off going in 1080p im stuck at 1080p 60fps because my computer is on an oled but im cool with that... Ima try DLSS in 720p up scaled to 1080p and see how high I can go with the Ray tracing. soo glad i go a pc this year but i still should of waited or went for it and got a 2070 super at least or waited for the 3070... But I was getting this on base ps4 and WOW some of the leaks the game doesnt look good at all on console.
Yeah I'm on a 1080p monitor so hopefully will get smooth performance, I did try and get hold of a 3070 but had no luck, so my 2060 will have to do for now.

Hope you enjoy the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Tom's Hardware:

We'll get to the DLSS results in a moment, but it's worth mentioning that you don't have to have RT enabled to use DLSS. For example, the RTX 2060 managed a respectable 55 fps average at 4K medium with DLSS Performance mode. Sure, that's upscaling 1080p to 4K using an AI algorithm, but the end result is actually quite good—better than native 1080p, probably comparable to 1440p. A 130 percent bump in performance while keeping the crisp UI elements is certainly worth a thought. (You can use non-DLSS upscaling as well, if you want, though the results definitely lose some detail.)

This might be useful to extrapolate to your GPU. COnsider that there is stil a patch incoming + no DRM retail version.

www.tomshardware.com

Cyberpunk 2077 PC Benchmarks, Settings, and Performance Analysis

We've tested Cyberpunk 2077 on a bunch of GPUs to see how it runs. Spoiler: It's very demanding.
cool beans wow didnt they do it with drm as well... ?

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
So if I can't pick up the game today(I have it on store pick up order) will I be able to pick it up before they close tomorrow? Or do I have to wait till Thursday completely to pick it up?

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia
So I initially got an email stating that the release date had moved up. Soon after, got another email telling me my order was delayed. I contacted support and they just told me they can't fulfill the order. Xbox copy for curbside, btw. I'm wondering if it's a hiccup, or if they're truly having issues meeting demand.

I got a similar email from Best Buy stating the release date changed to Monday the 7th.. I preordered two copies and a PS5 game as gifts last night and it went from "preorder" to preparing for pickup, and now its delayed.

The hell is happening...

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone saw this?
au.finance.yahoo.com

Cyberpunk Game Reviews Take Wind Out of CD Projekt’s Sails

(Bloomberg) -- CD Projekt SA shares slumped on Tuesday after press reviews of the Polish studio’s latest big production dashed optimism among analysts that it might be the highest-rated video game of the year.The stock fell as much as 9.4% in Warsaw following the publication by aggregation...

Imagine if PS4/Xbox One is a mess and reviews below 90, but the game will sell a shit ton of unities.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I think you missed my points, which are: 1) it is not fair to call the story trash because it does something else than you were expecting, and 2) you should not read too much into video game marketing and expect the actual game to deliver. There is no contract between a developer and a gamer as to what themes the story should explore.

The quality of the story and the game itself are open for all criticism.
It's trash because it's trash. It's vapid window dressing. "What I am expecting" is something worth writing, not "ahah sex workers are whores, ahah dicks! corporations baaaad!".