• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
He was found to post in gaming threads on GAF and he responded once that "no one who matters does" on a tweet asking who still takes gaming journalism seriously on a Polygon-article about Cyberpunk edgelord marketing.

Make of that what you will. Just check out his Twitter account if you want to know more.
Thanks for the explanation mate. Will check out his twitter.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Runs fantastic and looks great in performance mode on series x.

Looks great? In performance mode?

giphy.gif

pablogers

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to talk about the game here? Really, is all i want right now with all the shit going on right now.

Ps. im very aware of all the topics around, but maybe we can do a separate thread for game talking???

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
cause he's a nazi and a regular gaf poster
Karak is a Nazi?

What recent developments?
Nazi? Wtf? Did he say anything from extreme right views or something? What happened?
My bad, let me reformulate
He's a regular gaf poster therefore he's a nazi

can we knock this hyperbole shit off? You all have been watching Karak's stuff for years. He isn't a fucking nazi. It's fine to say you disagree with his take on a particular issue and criticize him to hell and back for it, but equivocating someone to a regime and worldview that killed millions of people is absurd. Jesus Christ.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great? In performance mode?

giphy.gif
On series x? It has a pretty good dynamic res, and hits a higher bound pretty frequently. I have a 65 inch lg and play pretty close to it- I'll say quality mode is def not worth it for any res bump. Biggest thing for iq is turning off all the post processing crap they default on...

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
can we knock this hyperbole off? You all have been watching Karak's stuff for years. He isn't a fucking nazi. It's fine to say you disagree with his take on a particular issue and criticize him to hell and back for it, but equivocating someone to a regime and worldview that killed millions of people is absurd. Jesus Christ.
Exactly this. For fuck sake, tone down on that shit. The Nazi regime is responsible for the worse shit that happened in this world.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can we knock this hyperbole shit off? You all have been watching Karak's stuff for years. He isn't a fucking nazi. It's fine to say you disagree with his take on a particular issue and criticize him to hell and back for it, but equivocating someone to a regime and worldview that killed millions of people is absurd. Jesus Christ.
Exactly this. For fuck sake, tone down on that shit. The Nazi regime is responsible for the worse shit that happened in this world.
My bad
He is merely ok hanging out with people dismissive of all forms of hate, be it sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia. You name it.
Better?

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017

This. If we start going down this route we are no better than the ones we are judging. Please.

And sorry for the derail.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm
How is the resolution in performance mode? Not to low?
Dynamic with good AA- most of the times indoors it's pretty high. Can get lower outdoors In big crowds, etc. but still looks fine and runs at a mostly smooth framerate especially in VRR. Does drop at times but nothing too bad and understandable tbh. Honestly very impressed with the series x performance. I have decided to stick with it and not rebuy on pc (have a 2080). At the end of the day series x should be fairly comparably to a 2080/2070 anyways...

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Just wanted to pop in to say Trans rights are human rights. The Trans community here has really shown me the negativity and dismissiveness surrounding Cyberpunk 2077 that the rest of the internet really isn't highlighting. Thank you all for sticking here at this difficult time for you all.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Dynamic with good AA- most of the times indoors it's pretty high. Can get lower outdoors In big crowds, etc. but still looks fine and runs at a mostly smooth framerate especially in VRR. Does drop at times but nothing too bad and understandable tbh. Honestly very impressed with the series x performance. I have decided to stick with it and not rebuy on pc (have a 2080). At the end of the day series x should be fairly comparably to a 2080/2070 anyways...
Thanks for the info. Will try out both settings. Happy the performance overall is good. Is the main thing i am happy to have a series x also

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I'm even more excited after yesterday. I only quickly skimmed/'Ctrl+F'd' my way around a couple of written reviews to learn about patches, performance, etc.

But I did end up listening to Easy Allies impressions. The way the game handles structure/choices sounds really impressive, like it was actually built around proper roleplaying/multiple playthroughs. And apparently Keanu turns in a great performance, which I wasn't expecting!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
On series x? It has a pretty good dynamic res, and hits a higher bound pretty frequently. I have a 65 inch lg and play pretty close to it- I'll say quality mode is def not worth it for any res bump. Biggest thing for iq is turning off all the post processing crap they default on...

Did you notice if anything else changes like specific effects, pop-ins, draw distance, textures or is it really just resolution like, idk, down from native 1800p or so to 1200-1800 dynamic?

Most performance modes disappointed so far and had way too many drawbacks for my taste and since there are also people out there who think games on Xbox One S look great, I just have some natural doubt when people say something like this. 😅

But if it's like Demons Souls, I could actually live with it, but only in a similar case.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This seems very extreme- has he actually said anything bad? He's a YouTuber, I imagine he posts in multiple locations in order to grow his audience. He's a very regular poster here as well...
I don't even like ACG's style of reviewing and yeah; this seems to be more likely unless somebody actually can post receipts of him saying right-wing shit.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people in this thread reacting to Shugga calling out Karak who's comfortable with transphobia and hate instead of calling out Karak.

Fucking disgusting.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we please get back to talking bout this game? I really don't want this thread to get locked for derailing

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
You got some screenshots mate?

Oct 27, 2017
Could you detail the different modes on the Series X? Is it 60 up to 4K? Or a locked resolution?
I imagine both run at dynamic res, but quality mode obviously sticks to higher res more often. I'm not pixel counting and their AA is pretty good. I imagine performance mode hovers around 1080p- 1200p (just a guess), quality more like 1440 to 1800 (again just a guess)... never drops below 1080 from what I can tell in performance mode. Looking at early pc performance reviews (I know there is drm in the preview build), I would say that next gen consoles are going to fare very well once DF get their hands on it...

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
The two screens are looking towards the same central point. Compare the placement of the rubbish on the ground - the takeaway cartons. Also the small red 18 neon signs on the left frame in the corridor shot. It's the same area.

You're right, minimap is just more zoomed out (probably because it's during combat.)

It just looks bad then. 🤷‍♀️

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I didnt call him anything. I was asking why someone would say that.

On his Twitter he talks about the reviews being a mess. I watched that video yesterday. He's talking about the situation with bugs and only being able to show B roll footage and no console review codes being sent out.

He hasn't said anything about about the trans issue as far as I know. Say what you will about the silence but calling him a Nazi is pretty fucked up if you ask me.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I'm gonna wait for a used copy. I want to play the game, but I don't want to support the devs. I think this is a fair compromise. Right?

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
My bad
He is merely ok hanging out with people dismissive of all forms of hate, be it sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia. You name it.
Better?

1) Generally speaking, yes. When you criticize someone, you need to be specific about the actual issues. Introducing hyperbole only makes your argument more easily dismissed, as you saw from the many reactions you got around "wtf, Karak isn't a nazi?"

2) if "hanging out with" is equivalent to posting on a forum, might want to be careful with that. are you saying you agree with everything that's ever been posted on Era or any other forum in which you participate? Hell, half of this forum came from "the other place" and had been members there for a long time.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I feel like Karak is getting some unwarranted hate and i'm honestly still confused as to why he i banned. I've respected his view on gaming for awhile now and have really enjoyed his youtube channel. I worry at times that simply beinga fan of a random youtuber certain critic could get me banned out of nowhere.

I also worry that such hyperbole I see at times (such as nazi accusations without evidence) really do teer things closer into stifling peaceful discourse on here.

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people in this thread reacting to Shugga calling out Karak who's comfortable with transphobia and hate instead of calling out Karak.

Fucking disgusting.

They're calling out that he was called a NAZI. Which apart from being hyperbolic completely derailed the fact that he was banned for a legitimate and extremely disappointing reason.

I'm as disgusted as anyone from Karaks duplicitous attitude but if we're focusing on what he did wrong, it should be discussed maturely.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its hard to find info about the game itself (like performance, graphics, etc), not a problem at all.
You can find info about that here and all over the Internet.

There are just other important discussions happening that need to happen, and they will be discussed here in the OT as well. After all, they're part of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Did you notice if anything else changes like specific effects, pop-ins, draw distance, textures or is it really just resolution like, idk, down from native 1800p or so to 1200-1800 dynamic?

Most performance modes disappointed so far and had way too many drawbacks for my taste and since there are also people out there who think games on Xbox One S look great, I just have some natural doubt when people say something like this. 😅

But if it's like Demons Souls, I could actually live with it, but only in a similar case.

did a lot of back and forth checking for LOD changes, did not see any. The game has weird like sub pixel breakup, I think it has to do with its AA and reflections, and not great LOD when driving fast. This is consistent and the same in both modes. I imagine the next gen focused patch will help clear it up. It looks pretty damn good, the art, design, population density, effects, etc. all stunning. The most detailed open world I have ever seen outside of a rockstar game...

Dont think it's as clean IQ as demons souls, but it's also a back compat game. Watch cd projects Xbox demo they put out- it's extremely representative. I would say even on their video the series x content they show, just imagine that running in 60fps- the iq difference between modes is fairly small during indoor scenes.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I'm torn whether I should wait to play once the current gen version is out in 21

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Enough with the off-site drama regarding Karak. Anyone continuing this derail will be banned from the thread.