• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive commentary regarding a sensitive topic
Finally! Good work by the staff to tie the needed knots here. Can't believe I had to visit other places to following the review score madness though, we need to do better in the future, felt like the board crumbled for awhile, but that's old news now. Good to have this thing going now!

Haven't preordered yet and there seem to be a serious need for patches here, gives me time to plan a bit, still undecided where I should start.
Plan A: PC. I assume that a 1080ti isn't going to give me the experience I want, would I get zero raytracing?
Plan B: Cloud. Has anyone talked about how it runs on Geforce Now? RTX on?

Anyway, metacritic 91 on PC is a solid score, didn't expect that, should be an amazing experience after the bugs are squished!

Last edited:

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
is there no epileptic warning when you start up the game?

If there is then I don't see what's the problem. If not, then they need to add one asap.

This needs more than your basic epilepsy warning. They essentially replicate the function of a device intended to enduce epilleptic seizures.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game sounds like a mess both thematically and technically. I'm still deep into my Valhalla playthrough so I'm leaning toward waiting on the next gen patch and console performance reviews.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Will not be playing this game for at least a couple months, but am looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Kudos to Era staff for taking the time to consider the approach. This is a respectful, informative thread.

I watched the IGN video review, and it's telling that CDPR aren't allowing reviewers to use their own footage until launch day...
Everything surrounding this game is just giving off seriously bad vibes. I really wonder how it will all play out.
Hopefully we can have some civil discussion in here, at least.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
There's a huge difference between a chance of an epileptic attack in general, and a game featuring sequences specifically designed to give you an epileptic attack. This game doesn't need a basic warning you see on most games, it needs a lot more direct message than that.

It just shouldn't be in the game. There is zero justification for it.
the epilepsy warning included with REZ and REZ INFINITE is very direct and features similar imagery as this sequence. do you think it'll be something that the certification process requires a similarly direct warning about?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah well, at least the western Atlus people changed the localization to be less offensive in Royal and as someone who identifies with the depicted characters that was good enough for me. Certainly more than can be said for CDPR, who sold a shirt one time or something.

it's incredibly weird to come in here to gloat about the phobic series you prefer having a bigger number on the number website. like not that it matters because it all sucks out loud, but if you really want to put atlus and cdpr against each other to see who's responsible for more fucked up shit in this arena atlus wins easily no contest

it's cool that you can compartmentalize this stuff, i do too (big SMT fan) but come on.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, sounds like the game is technically a mess. I don't remember TW3 having too many bugs... or maybe I've just forgotten. I seem to recall it being fine as far as bugs were concerned, but then again I played through probably 65-70% of the game before I stopped. Came back months later to finish when I'm sure stuff was ironed out.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
JmALSs8SnbssJDmyhbwj7h-970-80.png

...yeah barely 30 fps on a 1060 6gb on Medium settings means i won't be playing this anytime soon
I despise charts like this that give no details. Is Ray Tracing on? DLSS? etc.?

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The pre-load downloaded a 15GB patch. Will there be another patch on Thursday?

What are the biggest bugs so far? Anything game breaking?

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I heard that, too. Seems pretty sus.
TBH it's only sus because of how many bugs there allegedly are. The Easy Allies guys said that they'd play just anticipating the next bug that's pop up, because they almost assuredly would at least every hour.

For so many other games, premature reviews usually know a Day 1 patch is coming and are super conditional when talking about them because they know, in most cases, they'll be ironed out soon enough that it doesn't make a huge difference to them.

IMO the reviews should have waited until or after launch, which is the responsible thing to do (Easy Allies is doing that and IGN has in the past IIRC). I don't understand the value of reviewing and giving purchasing advice on an inferior version of a product that damn near all consumers will never play.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't actually see anyone talking about how coronavirus pandemic might have affected the state of the game and final phase of polishing. They were all working remotely and I believe that it might be the actual cause of the issues.

Anyways majority of people who played the game seem to agree that it has really strong world building, story, characters, solid gunplay and driving so after few fixes the game might be consider of the best ever.

I will definitely play it but I might wait 2 weeks.

P.S. Performance really shouldn't be judged currently because reviewers had to play wiith extremely performance heavy DRM installed.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
It's amazing how quickly cdpr managed to squander all the good will between witcher 3 and this. My interest have continued to evaporate with each piece of news, aside from occasional rare good piece of news that was quickly overshadowed.

But actually being directly physically dangerous for you? Not even bethesda got that low.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Cant wait. Downloaded a extra patch for Xbox last night tho. Was 15gb. Seems like that was the day one patch

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the full review on tomshardware provides all the context you need.

and no, RTX and DLSS is not on, that would be specified on the chart otherwise.
I've seen other reviewers that will put something like "DLSS off" or "Without DLSS" as a footnote on the chart. That should be the way it's done going forward.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Mentioned this earlier today, it is just the oddest thing. I can't recall any other game in recent history where video reviews could not use the reviewer's own footage. I imagine CDPR doesn't want people to see how buggy the game runs before people spend their $60 on it and only giving it to selective reviewers and influencers.

Also, screw CDPR and their transphobia.

It seems to be part of of their very aggressive marketing strategy for this game. Like giving reviewers and streamers nice things like gaming chairs – and maybe even an in-game cameo – for the price of CDPR controlling the message as much as possible.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Expectations are somewhat low, but looking forward to jumping in. Will hold off my real playthrough for awhile though.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
Oooh. Looking forward to it. Will be waiting a bit more on the performances on PC. But probably will be getting it sooner or later.

Vundu

Dec 9, 2017
A shorter main story that can be padded out with side quests if you wish is pretty perfect for me. Don't get the time like I used to.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
91 for a super buggy game means there's a much higher rated game underneath. This will be a better game in 6 months times.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Oof, sounds like the game is technically a mess. I don't remember TW3 having too many bugs... or maybe I've just forgotten. I seem to recall it being fine as far as bugs were concerned, but then again I played through probably 65-70% of the game before I stopped. Came back months later to finish when I'm sure stuff was ironed out.

Witcher 3 had a large amount of bugs at launch. I remember a lot of people being annoyed by progress getting broken and similar issues.

I think it ended up being easy to forget over the amount of updates + how good the game ended up being.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Me neither. I played it at launch and the only thing that I remember is mostly related to Roach. But other than that, it was mostly a smooth experience.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is we're gonna see a New Vegas more so than a ME:A, if that makes any sense.

Which is maybe me being optimistic, since despite the bugs New Vegas is one of my favorite games of all time.

I think you might be right. Which makes me sad since New Vegas is also one of my favorites of all time.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
TBH it's only sus because of how many bugs there allegedly are. The Easy Allies guys said that they'd play just anticipating the next bug that's pop up, because they almost assuredly would at least every hour.

For so many other games, premature reviews usually know a Day 1 patch is coming and are super conditional when talking about them because they know, in most cases, they'll be ironed out soon enough that it doesn't make a huge difference to them.

IMO the reviews should have waited until or after launch, which is the responsible thing to do (Easy Allies is doing that and IGN has in the past IIRC). I don't understand the value of reviewing and giving purchasing advice on an inferior version of a product that damn near all consumers will never play.
I disagree with every perfect review, or even high 9s. Selling us a game based on the promise it won't be broken eventually is wrong and the customer should know about such issues. Many reviewers mentioned it some way, but it almost never made a dent on the score. I'm very glad PCGamer and GameSpot (and possibly more I've not read) rated it for what it was,

noeybys

Aug 8, 2020
91 for a super buggy game means there's a much higher rated game underneath. This will be a better game in 6 months times.

May be even in a month or two since CDPR have excellent post launch support.

After watching the IGN review, I'm considering waiting a bit even though I have the game preordered...

Sep 14, 2018
it's incredibly weird to come in here to gloat about the phobic series you prefer having a bigger number on the number website. like not that it matters because it all sucks out loud, but if you really want to put atlus and cdpr against each other to see who's responsible for more fucked up shit in this arena atlus wins easily no contest
Hmm, no I don't think it is incredibly weird to compare the scores of 2 of the highest rated games of the year in a thread that includes discussion about said scores of one of them. I'm just a big ol' weirdo according to you I guess, but as this tangent may be derailing I will stop replying now, feel free to ignore me back, goodbye.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
My exact reaction lmao, and this is without the day 1 patch. My PS5 storage has been crying since launch.
Storage wouldn't be a problem if Sony fixed the "other" bullshit.

I have Miles, Demons Souls and FF XIV downloaded on my PS5 and "other" is st 36Gb. It's fucking bullshit.

Anyway still undecided if I'm going to play the game day 1 or if I'll wait the next gen patch..,

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

CDPR sent out the game willingly to journalists and influencers to review.
From that point on, if a website or reviewer chooses not to review the game for whatever reason, they're missing out on potentially quite a lot of money since this is one of the biggest releases of the generation.

If the game wasnt ready then CDPR shouldn't have sent out review codes.

What I think is actually happening though is that this miracle patch everyone is hoping will fix all the bugs, performance, improve animations, ai, make you coffee every morning and god knows what else is not gonna do even a quarter of those things.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It just means that ratings are pointless. How can a super buggy game with apparently lots of other problems even reach 91? But we have seen this before and it won't ever change for some hype games.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
the only thing we truly own are memories, everything else is disposable
including the QA team apparently, at least that's what it seems like
They prolly got caught up trying to put this on current gen systems at the same time as next gen... when in reality... they should've just did what Rockstar did with GTAV which was focus on current gen completely then later focus on next gen.

Or maybe the QA team was like "Are we gonna watch John Wick or The Matrix? Pick, y'all" lol

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Storage wouldn't be a problem if Sony fixed the "other" bullshit.

I have Miles, Demons Souls and FF XIV downloaded on my PS5 and "other" is st 36Gb. It's fucking bullshit.

Anyway still undecided if I'm going to play the game day 1 or if I'll wait the next gen patch..,

Wow I just checked and my "Other" is at 67GB. Do you know what causes this?

I debated waiting for the next gen patch but there's no way I can wait till then lol. It'll likely have the same quality and performance modes, with quality having some raytracing at 30FPS and the performance having a bit better image quality and textures. It sucks that DualSense functionality won't be there at launch, but the battery life will be better for it.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, no I don't think it is incredibly weird to compare the scores of 2 of the highest rated games of the year in a thread that includes discussion about said scores of one of them. I'm just a big ol' weirdo according to you I guess, but as this tangent may be derailing I will stop replying now, feel free to ignore me back, goodbye.

yes, i'm sure you were innocently looking to have an honest, good faith discussion about review scores. i really believe this!

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
This needs more than your basic epilepsy warning. They essentially replicate the function of a device intended to enduce epilleptic seizures.

Oh damn, I just saw the Game informer thread and it seems like it's pretty severe. They definitely need to do something about that.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any word on a day 1 patch and how big of an impact it will make? I might wait until the first major expansion is out if these bug reports are true. I have faith CDPR will at least make good on that part of the game over time.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
It looks not a lot of people might notice it in my previous post so I will just attach a source - you really shouldn't judge PC performance of the game before its release.

You nailed it. If the game was smooth experience then it might actually got 94/95+ score.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
They prolly got caught up trying to put this on current gen systems at the same time as next gen... when in reality... they should've just did what Rockstar did with GTAV which was focus on current gen completely then later focus on next gen.

Or maybe the QA team was like "Are we gonna watch John Wick or The Matrix? Pick, y'all" lol
after the april to septemer delay, they should have just ripped of the bandaid and said, "See yall in summer 2021 with the optimized next-gen versions and better polish!" because right now there isnt a point to releasing in December

-they missed award season at most outlets
-they missed black friday sales
-it clearly needed more time anyways

just admit you bit of more than you can chew and delay it 6 more months, the games legacy will forever be tarnished, and so will CDPRs, as a studio that releases ambitious but broken ass games every time