• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently there's a day one patch that has some PS5/XSX enhancements. What this means exactly is unknown, but there's apparently something.
As it has been apparent, PS5 developed ports have had advantages over Series X since launch with some games. Are there any implications to imply there are the same issues again?

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Absurd that we haven't seen PS4 / Xbox One gameplay in any official capacity for a game that is launching in less than two days. I don't understand how they aren't being called out on this. A sizable portion of their playerbase is going to be playing on these consoles.

they did show Xbox One X & PS4 Pro gameplay last month but notably haven't shown gameplay on base consoles. They also haven't sent out console review codes yet despite the game launching pretty soon.

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
I had low expectations but it seems like it might be an interesting experience for a Deus Ex RPG game and the Carolyn Petit review was great for setting expectations.
there are literally zero impressions from a console?

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
I genuinely hope this thread goes well. Would like to be able to discuss the game in a place where bigotry is not tolerated.

Apparently CDPR told reviewers the DRM in pre-release builds caused performance loss. I think it will be anything major, but the removal of DRM + optimized drivers + Day 1 patch might make things a bit better on launch day.
My 1060 managed medium at 47fps with that handicap. I'm happy lol.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
For those wondering about PC performance reports keep this in mind:

Sorry, but now suddenly Denuvo has a measurable performance impact?
Even benchmarks between denuvo and non denuvo versions of games revealed that you have to basically play at 720p low to have a consistently measurable difference outside of loading times.

This just reads like CDPR trying to save face until release in regards to PC optimization. And I'm surprised Steve is eating it up so readily.

wait what? This game has Denuvo?

only the review copies

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Very interested to get to play after I get back from a rental finding trip next Sunday.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not being able to get a PS5 will be a good thing cus by the time I can they will have released 50 patches.

Oct 27, 2017
Shout out to transEra for all the work they have put in to getting this together, voicing their thoughts, advocating for an inclusive forum and, through all the shit they have been given, still wanting people to have a space to discuss this game and issues.

I'll be passing on this game but wanted to recognize all that they have dedicated leading up to this and after.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Android Sophia B-Dubs Can you hightlight the original GI article (and perhaps quote the specific graph which warns of the most dangerous segment) rather than just linking to another Era thread?

Having a sequence in game that mimics a medical tool designed to cause seizures isn't just a topic for debate. It is LITERALLY a health hazard for many folks and should be highlighted.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that I'll play this game for months (if at all), but I'm curious if any of the reviews indicate a voice actor preference or disparity in quality.

The masculine voice sounds..like it's trying too hard, in trailers.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
they did show Xbox One X & PS4 Pro gameplay last month but notably haven't shown gameplay on base consoles. They also haven't sent out console review codes yet despite the game launching pretty soon.
Well, it was specifically the base consoles I mentioned, otherwise I would've said PS4 Pro / One X, lol. But yeah, it's clear they're trying to mitigate any reaction they will (deservedly) get. I know they are older machines, but they should be upfront about it. No one outside the company (except for those few that received the game early accidentally) has seen those versions, at all. They're charging the same amount of money for those copies, so it feels shady to hide them like that.

OP
OP
Android Sophia

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Android Sophia @b-d Can you hightlight the original GI article (and perhaps quote the specific graph which warns of the most dangerous segment) rather than just linking to another Era thread?

Having a sequence in game that mimics a medical tool designed to cause seizures isn't just a topic for debate. It is LITERALLY a health hazard for many folks and should be highlighted.

On it. Bear with us.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
this is an amazing OT. thanks everyone who helped to make this happen. trans rights are human rights.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Preloading now, new rig is up and running (but completely messy, no time for cable routing yet).

So, SO ready to jump into night city. I can handle a bit of Euro-Jank, just hope the day 1 patch fixes most of the glaring issues. And that hard difficulty is good.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Sorry, but now suddenly Denuvo has a measurable performance impact?
Even benchmarks between denuvo and non denuvo versions of games revealed that you have to basically play at 720p low to have a consistently measurable difference outside of loading times.

This just reads like CDPR trying to save face until release in regards to PC optimization. And I'm surprised Steve is eating it up so readily.
That thought crossed my mind I'll be honest, I've heard reports about Denuvo that hurt performance and others than don't, either way I would wait for performance numbers until release, even if Denuvo has no impact on performance there is likely some patch to come out that day that might provide different results.

It sounds that some people did get the patch during review and others didn't some had bugs, others didn't, it's a mess at this point.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
[Mod Edit: Removed inappropriate twitter source]

This got a good laugh out of me. This game seems like a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
The performance doesn't look too bad, but I think I'll wait until next year until bugs are patched out.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I'm probably not going to get to play this until next year, but I am extremely curious at the reception this is going to get from the general public. It has to be the most hyped game since Red Dead 2 and from what I've seen and read so far it seems far less refined in a bunch of ways.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope people can be respectful in this thread. Before you post, please read what you typed and take a moment to consider if your words can come across as harmful to others. Sometimes it might be better not to post at all.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Will we ever get reviews for the console versions? Why didn't they allow reviewers a copy?
CDPR wanted every last second they could get and probably weren't too keen on the base One/PS4 being shown. I'm sure a lot of websites will cover it extensively on Thursday. Particularly interested in what Digital Foundry comes up with. I hope they get an unpatched disc version to test.

Apr 27, 2018
I preloaded the game earlier on Steam today. But I can't seem to download the Day 0/Day 1 patch, as it says scheduled for whatever time and it doesn't do anything at the moment. is anyone else having this issue?

romey

Mar 2, 2020
91c41654725942958e1f96d04fdd71e2.gif

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, holy shit this game took forever
Been waiting impatiently for years and years, now I'm sitting here with my CX tv, a wireless controller, a 3080 and am ready

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
You mean reviewers? Because CDPR is trying to keep a lid on anything that could be spoilery.
I've read this like 5 times and still don't know what you're asking.

Also there were a few reviews that talked about the transphobia stuff, the only one I remember was waypoint. Can someone link me the others, thanks.

I meant reviewers lol. Sorry a brain fart but it makes sense after some people indicate it's there to prevent reviewers from going ham on the bugs.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
JmALSs8SnbssJDmyhbwj7h-970-80.png

...yeah barely 30 fps on a 1060 6gb on Medium settings means i won't be playing this anytime soon

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It does have day 0 patch, which was supposed to cover at least some of the glaring issues. It didnt. And yeah, it has denuvo in it, mostly to prevent benchmarking. Props to TH, dunno how they did it.
Wait, why would Denuvo prevent benchmarking? Or are you just talking about the possible performance hit? A bit out of the loop here.