• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool of them. I wish more games went this route instead of gender locking various character creator options.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
That's pretty cool. I just wonder how long I wait to get this on Steam lol. I usually wait for months for patching and stuff. Oh well I can wait. I got plenty of games. This is going to be amazing.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
How do they tackle dialogue that way? If someone talks about my character will they just use they/them and no gendered pronouns?

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people instantly jumping to the conclusion that dialogue won't have gendered pronouns? As far as I can tell they're "just" saying the character creator won't break options during character creation down to gendered options

That's my take on it as well. It feels like Jackie was identifying V as a girl in the gameplay demo. That and the guy with the cigar in the car calls you "Miss, V"

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The poster was by all means a fuck up that wasnt done maliciously, at least according to the artist who made it.

I was referring to the assuming their gender tweet by the twitter rep and the 'sorry we offended you' apology. To go from that, to listening to feedback, to this is a step forward and them willing to learn from their mistakes and adjust. Particularly considering they're located in a hyper conservative nation.
Wasn't that GoG and not CDPR and didn't that dude get fired?

Englebert3rd

Oct 31, 2017
Voidpoint right now.

th

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
How do they tackle dialogue that way? If someone talks about my character will they just use they/them and no gendered pronouns?

This, i am confused. If i want to play as a male or female i want the world to see which gender i chose. Even if i have a male body and identify as female i want the world to recognize that. Or will the world respond to you to which body type you choose? That would be weird if you have a male body and identify as a female.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This, i am confused. If i want to play as a male or female i want the world to see which gender i chose. Even if i have a male body and identify as female i want the world to recognize that. Or will the world respond to you to which body type you choose? That would be weird if you have a male body and identify as a female.
We just have to wait and see, hopefully, the demo will finally show us the creation system. In a bigger light.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I believe your character will be referred as "V". It's just like Hawke in DAII or Shepard in Mass Effect.

Alternatively, they may also call your character the title, like Warden in DAO or Inquisitor in DAI.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Great move, glad to see there's tons more options!

So is this banned in Poland now or what, It's campaign season after all

Sylvie

Aug 26, 2019
"they" is a perfectly adequate substitution for "she". I think you're overthinking the body type part.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"they" is a perfectly adequate substitution for "she". I think you're overthinking the body type part.

How is they a good substitute for she? Plural doesn't equal feminine?

Rewatch the long gameplay demo, it will be fine.

Sylvie

Aug 26, 2019
How is they a good substitute for she? Plural doesn't equal feminine?

Rewatch the long gameplay demo, it will be fine.
it's neutral, it can be applied to everyone. it's not just used as a collective term, and Shakespeare used "they" frequently in third-person. it's an age-old thing that's gaining more traction because it doesn't exclude anyone.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I think she wants the gun."
"I think they want the gun."
"I think he wants the gun."

It's a perfectly good substitute.

it's neutral, it can be applied to everyone. it's not just used as a collective term, and Shakespeare used "they" frequently in third-person. it's an age-old thing that's gaining more traction because it doesn't exclude anyone.

Ok. To me they want a gun implies multiple people want it. In French, saying it vocally implies the same, writting it on the other hand and you have to either write ils or elles which implies a gender.

Also why would a character use they when they only refer to V, doesn''t make sense.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm super glad to hear this, good going Projekt Red. Hopefully they're able to pull it off in a way that satisfies people (except those who are now complaining of course).

Last edited:

Sylvie

Aug 26, 2019
Ok. To me they want a gun implies multiple people want it. In French, saying it vocally implies the same, writting it on the other hand and you have to either write ils or elles which implies a gender.

Also why would a character use they when they only refer to V, doesn''t make sense.
we're talking about the English language currently, but we can move on to French if you prefer. I speak it quite well. and sure, French has genders, but I'm sure if I have a discussion with some of my friends I can find out ways that French people are experimenting to make it more inclusive.

comparing gender in French to gender in English is fine, but it doesn't paint the whole picture, "they/their" is used frequently in place of not knowing someone's gender and being inclusive. what if your friend mentions a friend, say, "Alex". what are you going to say to refer to them in third person if you don't know their gender from name alone?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

Gendered language is where CDPR are going to have issues, but in English "they" is an acceptable substitute to refer to a person generally without defining gender nor specifying a group. They/they're/them. Example would be in my job I may need to call or talk about a client I haven't met personally nor read their file, and thus unknowing of their gender pronouns (particularly if it's not an English name that I have no traditional gendered association for) I would refer to them as they/they're/them. It's pretty acceptably used in this context and isn't assumed to be referring to a group.

But yeah, gendered languages cause more complex linguistic issues.

Sylvie

Aug 26, 2019
Gendered language is where CDPR are going to have issues, but in English "they" is an acceptable substitute to refer to a person generally without defining gender nor specifying a group. They/they're/them. Example would be in my job I may need to call or talk about a client I haven't met personally nor read their file, and thus unknowing of their gender pronouns (particularly if it's not an English name that I have no traditional gendered association for) I would refer to them as they/they're/them. It's pretty acceptably used in this context and isn't assumed to be referring to a group.

they're really not as complex as reactionaries would have you believe. Latin Americans have already started doing it with "latinx" etc

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
we're talking about the English language currently, but we can move on to French if you prefer. I speak it quite well. and sure, French has genders, but I'm sure if I have a discussion with some of my friends I can find out ways that French people are experimenting to make it more inclusive.

comparing gender in French to gender in English is fine, but it doesn't paint the whole picture, "they/their" is used frequently in place of not knowing someone's gender and being inclusive. what if your friend mentions a friend, say, "Alex". what are you going to say to refer to them in third person if you don't know their gender from name alone?

Well using I would deduce a gender from the conversationg we had about "Alex" if I make a mistake I would be corrected, no biggie. Or I would just refer to his friend as Alex.

I understand being inclusive but if people make a male or female character, I would sure find it odd if it was reffered to as they during ingame conversations, it wouldn't make sense to me. Speaking only about English here :

If multiple people quoted me in a thread and I wanted to tell you about it, I would use they in reference to the multiple "quoters", if only one persone quotes me and I still use they , how does it still make sense?

Maybe it's just me but I still don't get it. I feel this would only work if your character was a "Voices of Nerat" type of thing.

Ok in your example I can begin to understand but just in the context of a client. I imagine someone being behind a group, let's say "Microsoft". I would understand if you had someone on the line and later refer to that person to a colleague as "they gave me a call".

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is cool. They've made some mistakes in the past but if the game itself doesn't promote shitty values, I'm okay.

Also, this is kind of the way Saints Row games have let you make characters for a while, and I've always been surprised more games don't do it. It seems actually like less effort to not attach anything to a gender option and just let players do whatever they want, right? Assuming you're making the sliders and stuff in the first place. I'm looking forward to seeing this character creator, at the very least!

Regarding pronouns, I imagine they just let you choose what you want during character creation. That would be the easiest option that would make the most sense, since they probably were intending to record multiple line reads for different genders anyway. Hopefully they include a "they/them" option as well.

Sylvie

Aug 26, 2019
Well using I would deduce a gender from the conversationg we had about "Alex" if I make a mistake I would be corrected, no biggie. Or I would just refer to his friend as Alex.

I understand being inclusive but if people make a male or female character, I would sure find it odd if it was reffered to as they during ingame conversations, it wouldn't make sense to me. Speaking only about English here :

If multiple people quoted me in a thread and I wanted to tell you about it, I would use they in reference to the multiple "quoters", if only one persone quotes me and I still use they , how does it still make sense?

Maybe it's just me but I still don't get it. I feel this would only work if your character was a "Voices of Nerat" type of thing.

Ok in your example I can begin to understand but just in the context of a client. I imagine someone being behind a group, let's say "Microsoft". I would understand if you had someone on the line and later refer to that person to a colleague as "they gave me a call".
if you can do it about a theoretical group of people, why is it so hard to say "they" in reference to someone in singular form? it's been used since early middle English, and it's seeing a resurgence due to the traction that inclusivity is helping.

why would it matter to you more that you don't use it in a singular way because you're not used to it over potentially misgendering a person who may or may not feel bad about said rhetorical device.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
I doubt the game won't have gendered pronouns. I mean it's maybe possible in English but in French it's impossible. It would be surprising if CDP have different approaches depending on the language.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Well, nevermind then lol. Wonder how they'll translate it to spanish, since gender-neutral terms are simply the male pronouns (unless they try their hand at inclusive language in spanish, which I don't see any company attempting for at least a decade)

You can choose between two voices, so probably dialog is affected for it.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, French translation will likely be quite hard. But i won't know as i play my games only in English.

But as a french guy, i think i'd be a bit thrown off if "they" is used all the time. Despite me knowing and understanding the use for this, my french bred brain can't understand "they" as anything else than plural (ie : more than one person) without a real effort on analyzing the phrase the word is used in. So on the fly and in a middle of a conversation, i fear i'll have difficulties.

But anyway, that's a good decision on CDPR.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, French translation will likely be quite hard. But i won't know as i play my games only in English.

But as a french guy, i think i'd be a bit thrown off if "they" is used all the time. Despite me knowing and understanding the use for this, my french bred brain can't understand "they" as anything else than plural (ie : more than one person) without a real effort on analyzing the phrase the word is used in. So on the fly and in a middle of a conversation, i fear i'll have difficulties.

Easiest workaround is to let us choose pronouns, which I believe they may do. They've only spoken about the physical side of this so far.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Unless you know the posters gender how are you assigning he/she in that situation regardless? You should be using they in that instance anyway lol. "I didn't engage before they quoted me".

You already do it regarding people you don't know well; "oh they nipped to the post office", "no don't worry I'll go get their hat", "oh I think they were about six foot". It's really not a large mental wall to climb when you realise you already do it and you adjust it slightly.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Video game writers defaulting to "if the player is playing as a woman have the bad guys call her a whore and bitch constantly" school of incredibly unimaginative writing was always cringeworthy so it's good that CDPR is avoiding that here. Especially considering that TW3 was an example of that.
I am pretty sure this is what will happened.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

They is commonly used in the singular in English anyway so you should learn to break from this "anything else than plural" mindset even without the question of gender identity.

"Hey, have you seen Cris?"
"No what do they look like?"

"Hey my best friend is coming down this week!"
"Oh nice, how long are they staying for?"

"I think they went that way"
"I'm not sure officer, just that they were definitely six feet tall"
"Urgh, all they do is moan, moan, moan"
"I don't really know them very well, but sure I guess"

Bridging it from someone you don't know well to someone you do isn't too difficult.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Cool, I like this. It's not like you'd hear a lot of he/she when being talked about you or with you in an FPS role-playing game anyway, "Can you fetch X for me", "Hi V, what are you up to" and "Shoot V!" is probably the apex of things in that department.

But I do wonder if they'll add lines like "Kill them!" or "They must be here somewhere" instead of going with He/She by voice or something. Genderfluid pronouns would be quite hard to translate, 'cause they simply don't exist in many languages. I just recently had a laugh at the German Borderlands 2 site, to check how they did it after the "ProZD's character is to be adressed "they"" thing, and surely enough, every single instance on the official page was a "he" and very clearly and plainly male.

Oct 27, 2017
This is impossible in some other languages. Not sure how they'll tackle localization for this.
In French EVERYTHING is gendered, and arbitrarily (which is pretty difficult for foreign learners) and we don't have an indefinite pronoun like "they" or "it" in English - and there's no perfect solution.
You could use the écriture incusive (inclusive writing) like in Québec but no solution is truly satisfying and there's not really an indefinite pronoun :
Français
Les pratiques possibles :
  • l'emploi de formules englobantes : « la population française », « les droits humains » ;
  • l'emploi de mots épicènes, c'est-à-dire prenant la même forme aux deux genres ou pouvant désigner aussi bien des femmes que des hommes : parler d'« élèves du lycée » plutôt que de « lycéens », de « personnalité politique » plutôt que d'« homme politique », au risque d'une altération du sens lorsqu'il n'existe pas de terme épicène strictement équivalent au terme genré. Le genre d'un nom prenant la même forme au féminin et au masculin peut toutefois apparaître dans le contexte si ce nom est précédé d'un article au singulier (« un/une ministre ») ou lorsqu'il est accompagné d'un adjectif (« trois élèves doués/douées »), ce qui doit être pris en compte si on cherche à utiliser un langage non genré3 ;
  • la féminisation des noms de métiers : « bûcheronne », « développeuse » ;
  • le doublet (ou double flexion) : « Français et Françaises », « toutes et tous », qui constituent en soi une forme de redondance ou de pléonasme.
  • formes contractées (ou doublets abrégés) :
    • l'emploi de parenthèses : « musicien(ne) ». Les parenthèses peuvent être également utilisées pour noter un pluriel facultatif : « le(s) musicien(ne)(s) » ;
    • l'emploi du caractère "/" : « musicien/ne » ;
    • l'emploi du E majuscule : « motivéEs »… Cette forme est fréquemment utilisée en allemand ;
    • l'emploi du trait d'union : « musicien-ne-s », « motivé-e-s », et même l'article « un-e » ;
    • l'emploi du point médian, semblable au trait d'union mais plus discret, avec ou sans un deuxième point45 : « musicien·nes » (ou « musicien·ne·s »), « motivé·es » (ou « motivé·e·s ») ;
    • l'emploi du point, plus facile d'accès sur un clavier que le point médian, mais peut prêter à confusion : « musicien.ne.s », « motivé.e.s » ;
    • la terminaison à deux genres : « acteurs/trices » ou « acteurs·trices ».
L'Office québécois de la langue française juge que l'emploi des doublets abrégés est une option acceptable dans les contextes où l'espace est restreint ainsi que dans les écrits de style télégraphique46. Il privilégie alors l'emploi des parenthèses ou des crochets46.

I have issues with the use of the interpunct, I find it really painful to read and practically speaking no one speaks like this.
You either use sentences that refer to what you want to say in a diverted way (instead of "them" to refer to V you'd say "Cette personne" ="This person") but it becomes heavy to say or read.
Instinctively we'd use male pronouns to refer to indefinite things but that's like opening a can of worms if you say that on the Internet.

I've seen people use iels (portmanteau neologism using male il + female elle) like you'd use "they" in some texts but it's not standard. Why not after all but if Cyberpunk 2077 uses this I can already taste the salty tears of the French incels.

Whatever solution you use you're bound to piss people off.

Edit : it's particularly funny to see how translators struggle sometimes and backpedal in their later translation due to the nature of translating one distant language to French

Sylvie

Aug 26, 2019
Cool, I like this. It's not like you'd hear a lot of he/she when being talked about you or with you in an FPS role-playing game anyway, "Can you fetch X for me", "Hi V, what are you up to" and "Shoot V!" is probably the apex of things in that department.

But I do wonder if they'll add lines like "Kill them!" or "They must be here somewhere" instead of going with He/She by voice or something. Genderfluid pronouns would be quite hard to translate, 'cause they simply don't exist in many languages. I just recently had a laugh at the German Borderlands 2 site, to check how they did it after the "ProZD's character is to be adressed "they"" thing, and surely enough, every single instance on the official page was a "he" and very clearly and plainly male.
neutral in reference to a being is usually rendered masculine by default, even with no gender. in German, masculine is considered neutral too, in reference to people.

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you know the posters gender how are you assigning he/she in that situation regardless? You should be using they in that instance anyway lol. "I didn't engage before they quoted me".

You already do it regarding people you don't know well; "oh they nipped to the post office", "no don't worry I'll go get their hat", "oh I think they were about six foot". It's really not a large mental wall to climb when you realise you already do it and you adjust it slightly.

Well, from my point of view as a non-native english speaker, I'm using the gender of the corresponding noun. For exemple here, When on the forums, I'll just tag or replay to the post, but when I'm talking about it to 3rd party participant, I'd say "He (the user) quoted me." where "he" implies that a user has quoted me and I've replied to him. It does not assume the user's gender.
So for me it's not natural to speak/write in plural, when the languages I know and use have defined declensions for that purpose.

Oh but i know it full well. It's just that as there is no neutral equivalent in french, so when i translate for myself on the fly, "they" is automatically linked to "ils", the plural french equivalent. And that's how i've been teached english when i was a kid (i guess my teachers where either not aware that "they" work for in the singular form or just didn't want to teach us that, dunno).

And it's weirdly a hard thing to get used to, especially hearing it. I tend to catch on it and adjust my initial translation faster than i did a few years ago, but it's still rare that i get the correct translation immediately and then, since i bugged in my translation, i tend to miss a phrase or two that could have been said after. When reading, it's not a problem, so there's that at least.
Basically this ^

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
They is commonly used in the singular in English anyway so you should learn to break from this "anything else than plural" mindset even without the question of gender identity.

"Hey, have you seen Cris?"
"No what do they look like?"

"Hey my best friend is coming down this week!"
"Oh nice, how long are they staying for?"

"I think they went that way"
"I'm not sure officer, just that they were definitely six feet tall"
"Urgh, all they do is moan, moan, moan"
"I don't really know them very well, but sure I guess"

Bridging it from someone you don't know well to someone you do isn't too difficult.

Oh but i know it full well. It's just that there is no neutral equivalent in french, so when i translate for myself on the fly, "they" is automatically linked to "ils", the plural french equivalent. And that's how i've been teached english when i was a kid (i guess my teachers where either not aware that "they" work for in the singular form or just didn't want to teach us that, dunno).

And it's weirdly a hard thing to get used to, especially hearing it. I tend to catch on it and adjust my initial translation faster than i did a few years ago, but it's still rare that i get the correct translation immediately and then, since i bugged in my translation, i tend to miss a phrase or two that could have been said after. When reading, it's not a problem, so there's that at least.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
neutral in reference to a being is usually rendered masculine by default, even with no gender. in German, masculine is considered neutral too, in reference to people.
Sure, but (apart from the generic masculinum having nothing to do with gender-adressing people at all) in this case, they'd have to use masculinum by default, even for all non-male characters, which would be equally stupid. And, if the game doesn't even include male/female identifiers in gameplay and/or programming/translation - which again, would be fine for English - there's no way to adress this in most other languages.

I'm really wondering how they plan to get around that, given that Borderlands clearly didn't.

Sylvie

Aug 26, 2019
Well, from my point of view as a non-native english speaker, I'm using the gender of the corresponding noun. For exemple here, When on the forums, I'll just tag or replay to the post, but when I'm talking about it to 3rd party participant, I'd say "He (the user) quoted me." where "he" implies that a user has quoted me and I've replied to him. It does not assume the user's gender.
So for me it's not natural to speak/write in plural, when the languages I know and use have defined declensions for that purpose.
"he" is the very definition of assumption if you're unaware of their gender, in English.
it can be either singular or plural, which you should be aware of.