• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
vaHZHSP.png

Inclusive language in Spanish is very confusing even if good intended. Niñes, Niñxs... It is very weird to grasp, and people have a hard time pronouncing it...

Also not cool having Spanish from Spain only, Latam is likely a bigger market.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
I support 100% this change and i m not a game developer but is it common to have this kind of changes in a game so close to the release date? First it was childhood heroes options.. now this. Wtf?

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
If internet Chuds are mad, you know you're doing something right.

Regardless, this is neat. I just hope they don't fuck it up.

I would assume that'll be the case, yeah.

Everyone was nosotros?

The most neat thing about this is that people will have to start thinking about things like that.

"Everyone" means "todos", if you apply inclusive language it will be "todes" because in some cases in the spanish language, the "o" has a masculine connotation. For example "sons" is "hijos" and daughters is "hijas". If you apply inclusive language it will be "hijes".

in any case the proper translate for "nosotros" is "us".

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent step. Kind of have a question maybe others could provide insight for though. Having different body types and ability to mix and match is great, but are gendered pronouns gone altogether now? I'd assume most would rather simply pick by which to be referred to as and then also have access to all the body and voice options?

Granted, I guess that would require probably three versions of the line in that case to cover he, she, and they, which would understandably be a large undertaking for localization and voice work.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's great. I just hope the change didn't come in too late that the design of clothing changes depending on your body type or if clothing is locked to only masculine or feminine bodies. I hate that shit.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think having as many options as possible is wonderful, but I would hope gendered language is still an option too. Kind of confused reading that quote. I want a binary gender identity an pronouns, personally. No gender limits on clothing and stuff like that is great though.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I read this and thought they were going to only have the male character and I got disappointed. Glad my assumption was wrong and admittedly I'm slightly disappointed in myself for jumping to that conclusion.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Easiest solution to the situation, most likely, and also inclusive. Nothing stopping players from building aesthetically traditional male and female characters, but the neutrality in language and options allows for flexibility to be projected onto the protagonist. While I'm sure gendered dialogue is something they're going to have to address, it's probably much easier to slice up and edit existing audio to fit neutrality than it is to call every actor back and re-record a whole set of gendered pronouns that cover all possible variances.

In a game that is likely not to directly address themes of transgenderism in the narrative (for all we know), it's easy to provide flexibility in role playing by simply culling written language and dialogue that is gender specific. It might not cleverly interweve quest arcs, characters, and dialogue of transgender themes, as that would have to exist from the start, but it does the next best thing by at least allowing players to insert themselves or role played identity in the game and not have content jarringly lodge them out.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My one question is how they'll make this work with languages that primarily use gendered pronouns. Or are they still keeping gendered mentions in the game?

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
That's awesome! Definitely a step in the right direction, I'm glad they did this.

I couldn't fine anywhere in the article that explicitly said you couldn't choose a gender pronoun, but at the same time, I have a feeling you wouldn't need to. As the main character, how many times do you hear characters talk about you in the third person? And even then, they usually use your character's name rather than a pronoun like he/she/they. This seems like a pretty effortless addition.

I'm hoping BGS's future games integrate this idea too. Also, it'll be interesting to see if there are any quests that tackle this topic in-game.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's great! Hopefully this change in perspective translates into the rest of the game.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
A victory.

Having one of the most anticipated games of the last ten years take a stance like this can only be a good thing.

Especially when a large part of the people who are so excited for this game, and champion it regardless of what CDPR does, are likely to pissed off by this news.

To them: eat shit.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Damn good stuff. I figured this would a step CDPR took, it's a relatively easy step to make, letting players pick body types.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Incoming boycott where all the dipshits rant and rave and threaten not to buy the game while also purchasing it immediately upon release because they have no self control or will to actually go through with a boycott.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Good for them for actually trying to improve, maybe at some point well skip the learning part and companies build for everyone from the start, but this is good

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Out of curiosity what do those languages do when they have to talk about a person that has an unknown gender?
In Spanish we basically omit the subject. (can be done in Spanish unlike in English)

Basically imagine you want to say "They stole the apple" as in third person singular. In Spanish you the equivalent would be either:
- Él robó la manzana (male)
or
- Ella robó la manzana (female)
But in Spanish you can (and usually do) omit the subject. So we just say:
- Robó la manzana.
Which would be like saying:
- Stole the apple.
Except in Spanish it's valid. In fact, NOT omitting the subject sounds strange and forced, and it's usually associated with non-native speakers. Even when the gender is known, a native Spanish speaker would never say "Él robó la manzana". Not in Spain anyways.

Where it gets messy is with adjectives. Ohh boi that's gonna be a mess.

Imagine the following sentence:
"I'm tired"
In English you say "tired" regardless of gender. But in Spanish there's no gender neutral for adjectives. You either say:
- "Estoy cansado" (for male)
or
- "Estoy cansada" (for female)

You'd have to search for workarounds such as saying "Tengo cansancio" ("I have tirelessness" basically) which works regardless of gender. But you can't do that with every adjective.

I guess they will offer a pronon selection. Either he/him or she/her, and MAYBE an English-only "they" option.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds fine to me.

Btw don't look at social media reactions to this news. It's fucking ridiculous. It's even worse at the old place.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Easiest solution to the situation, most likely, and also inclusive. Nothing stopping players from building aesthetically traditional male and female characters, but the neutrality in language and options allows for flexibility to be projected onto the protagonist. While I'm sure gendered dialogue is something they're going to have to address, it's probably much easier to slice up and edit existing audio to fit neutrality than it is to call every actor back and re-record a whole set of gendered pronouns that cover all possible variances.

In a game that is likely not to directly address themes of transgenderism in the narrative (for all we know), it's easy to provide flexibility in role playing by simply culling written language and dialogue that is gender specific. It might not cleverly interweve quest arcs, characters, and dialogue of transgender themes, as that would have to exist from the start, but it does the next best thing by at least allowing players to insert themselves or role played identity in the game and not have content jarringly lodge them out.
Not only is it not easier to edit existing material, it's literally impossible in some languages, including Polish (a localization that's surely a priority for this studio). Even rewriting the dialogue around neutrality would be a massive undertaking in more gendered languages, resulting in a script where pretty much everything said in first person by the protagonist would have to be expressed in a roundabout way.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
I have to imagine they've written and recorded most of the dialog by now, so removing gendered terminology from the game is probably a major undertaking.

Not to mention the challenge it poses for other languages, as people have already mentioned.

Removing gender outright works. Let the (role)player decide for themselves. Maybe they're fluid. Maybe it isn't even a thing in a world where people can swap parts on their lunch break. It's totally fitting for the universe.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: inflammatory generalisation surrounding religion
Much like with christians, anything less than total deference and focus is persecution to little men.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Fascinating choice, and will definitely have me paying more attention to see if I can set aside my misgivings. If the world is every bit as misogynistic as The Witcher's it's still a potential no for me, but I'm glad to see some signs of awareness. It gives me hope where I had little or none before.