• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It seems a bit cynical to suggest that professional reviewers give games high scores because of hype and not because they really enjoyed the game.

As someone who has actually reviewed AAA videogames pre-release in the past, the hype + being forced to play it on tight schedule with little time to reflect absolutely affects the final review.

It's very bad to talk about art without having time to reflect on it. And this can, on occasion, lead to games receiving higher scores than they would've if the review was published - let's say - 3 weeks after release.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
What are folks REALISTIC meta/opencritic score range for this game?
I'm expecting 92-95.
Praised for Graphics, storytelling + characters, player choice and gameplay options. Knocked for technical issues and bugs.
That range seems realistic. Even with the kind of launch Witcher 3 had it's a 92-93. This seems like it review higher.

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
I think at this point it has to be December 10th. Media impressions, a copy leaking (apparently), and the official gameplay trailer. The marketing is set now and it's too late to really take all that back.

With that said, CDPR please don't surprise me.

Hey everyone,

Although it is the release date today for Cyberpunk 2077, we unfortunately had to push back the 'Day 0' patch to January 5th, 2021. There are still improvements and bug fixes we need to implement in order to properly execute the vision we have for Night City. Unfortunately due to these circumstances, players will be locked out of their digital and physical copies already in their possession. We know you are all disheartened by this, and to make it up we are giving GOG members access to two free games from our entire library. For people on other platforms like Xbox and Playstation, stay tuned for news regarding your free content as well. We are immensely, tremendously, absolutely, sorry for this as we severely miscalculated how clumsy our new intern Craig was after tripping over an important ethernet cable that was transferring important patch data to our servers.

Goddamnit, Craig.

Yours,

Adam Badowski & Marcin Iwinski

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If LampTramp didn't want to be referred to as "dawg" because she felt it was a gendered term (which it really isn't, but thats not the point), I would 100% understand that. But to call it vulgar and compare it to an actual, real life slur? At best it's anti-black, at worst it's actively violent considering this site's history with policing AAVE and black slang.
Appreciate you expanding on that a bit raeaburame. I'm certain it wasn't meant in that sense but know that these things can step into places regardless of intent. Good to know the perspective of it being seen as such and will keep knowledgable of that in the future.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
So you banned someone for what they may have done ?
g6gd6Ft.gif

(No offense OPs of the world) No one looks at the first page, past the first page.
It's in every single page of this thread.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Marzoo was banned for misgendering a member (whose pronouns were clearly marked) in a report. Her ban duration is under admin review at the moment, and Marzoo is welcome to appeal this ban through the contact us link. Also, this thread is not to be used to re-litigate bans.

Thanks for responding and clearing that up. I did see the latest guidelines by Transistor but because this is relevant to this particular case and this is the shortest route. Where will we be able to see a ban duration once the review has completed in this situation? Considering this case is not linked to a post that's public for other users to see, and to take any lack of transparency away.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
[/QUOTE]
Edge alone will prolly prop the score up by a lot, they gushed about it in their old preview.
Edge people gushing about cdpr game is probably the weirdest thing. Unless Cyberpunk feels satisfying to play , has solid combat mechanics and such i doubt edge will give 9. And we all know this combat and controls are cdprs weakness

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
As someone who has actually reviewed AAA videogames pre-release in the past, the hype + being forced to play it on tight schedule with little time to reflect absolutely affects the final review.

It's very bad to talk about art without having time to reflect on it. And this can, on occasion, lead to games receiving higher scores than they would've if the review was published - let's say - 3 weeks after release.

Now I'm not a professional games journalist by any means but I do like to pen my thoughts down after finishing a game as I'm sure three weeks later I would have forgotten key parts already. If I reflect on my opinion from right after finishing those games compared to how I feel about those games now, I would say they are more or less similar? Now that's of course on the technical competencies of the game, I understand that the analysis of the story, characterization and philosophical themes takes longer to digest. And I'm not playing on a deadline. Here's hoping journalists are allotted a reasonable time window to complete the game.

Oct 28, 2017
Based on Metacritic scores of similar games (The Witcher 3, Skyrim/Fallout 3/4, GTA V and RDR2, etc.) and the sheer amount of time and resources going into its development I think a low to mid-90s Metascore is totally realistic. I don't see bugs heavily affecting the score because of their general ubiquitousness in these types of game and because of CDPR's public intent to continue fixing them (and their past history of supporting their titles).

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Edge people gushing about cdpr game is probably the weirdest thing. Unless Cyberpunk feels satisfying to play , has solid combat mechanics and such i doubt edge will give 9. And we all know this combat and controls are cdprs weakness
They enjoyed all of what they played including the combat.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I must admit I had some good times with Dragon Age 2. If you look past all the recycled assets and barebones combat system there were some good ideas hidden there. I assume restricting the game to Kirkwall was a decision made due to time constraints but for me it worked and I did build up a connection with the city and its inhabitants. Coming from Origins and Awakening it still felt like an enormous disappointment though.

Annoyinmous

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm guessing 94-96 metacritic PC ver.

The wait is killing me, I'm pretty shit when it comes to avatars and I'd love to cyberpunkify my avatar somehow lol.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Are there areas in the game other than city and desert

Im guessing expecting some greenery is out of the question

Im excited to play this in FPP but Im hoping the gunplay isn't wonky like Fallout games.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
I liked DA 2, it clicked better than Origins for me for some reason. And I typically love the genre.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Are there areas in the game other than city and desert

Im guessing expecting some greenery is out of the question

Well there is space port... (not confirmed to be accessible or usable for travel)

Other than that nah. Night City, Badlands and some diving stuff.

Most of greenery is just artificial as Earth is more or less dead.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering if I should give in to the dark side and make my character as terrible as possible, but I know how I'll play this game, and it's how I play every game (including Disco Elysium recently where my highest stat was empathy): Trying to be as good as possible despite the odds.

Maybe I'll play through twice but given the size of the game I doubt it.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
DA2 is a good game, and it's sad there's so few games like it. Also gave us Varric who is the best. I love all the characters but Varric is best bro and I'm glad we got more of him in DAI (though I want more Merill and Fenris in DA4, pls BioWare..)

Status
Not open for further replies.