• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I mean, you're right that the phrasing of 'punishing devs' makes it sound like an accusation that using the fact that the company has been transphobic as a purchasing factor is unfair, rather than just saying you opt not to use that as criteria. It definitely comes off as a bit of an indictment of that behavior.

I mean the other place where I saw that phrase was when people were talking about boycotting THQ Nordic. These people think they're clever but they ain't.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean how many examples of transphobia have to come out of this company before you have a problem with them? I mean with what has just come out, whatever good actors are in the company are not catching this stuff. Nothing good comes from just ignoring it and not calling the company out.

Admittedly I have not kept track of every single instance but serious questions. Have they committed any crimes? If so then I would draw the line. But people are allowed their opinions, however atrocious. I'm no white knight, just a guy who likes to play good games.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am not trying to be dismissive, OP, but I don't know how you take this position and function in the world. I doubt there is any company in existence that doesn't have someone who works for it that has politics that differ greatly from mine. Moreover, I'm not sure I want to live in a world where people are fired just for having different political/cultural beliefs than mine. In fact, no doubt in pretty much every company, there are likely many, many people who have views different from my own.

I'm a gay man with very progressive politics and supportive of LGBT issues politically, but for me, demanding that every company I buy something from assure they have no employees that have homophobic / non-gay friendly views is a bit too much for me. For me, I'm perfectly find just voicing my disagreement and voting for people who support policies I agree with. I don't really need the person who bags my groceries to be 1 to 1 with me on all my politics, or even to agree with my orientation. As long as they bag my groceries well and aren't aggressive about their views, we're cool. It's not something I see as important.

If I'm totally honest, moreover, I find it a bit morally problematic for me the way people go on witch hunts. Even people who have views repulsive to me need to eat and make a living. And I don't think trying to shame them into change does much good, in fact it's likely to just result in a lot more resentment and hostility. The politics and meaningful legislative changes are where its important for me. And beyond that, how I treat people 1 on 1. And as someone who lives in the deep South, I've personally seen how being charitable towards those who have homophobic views / language can gradually change. It doesn't happen overnight, but it happens. It just doesn't happen through ostricization, in my view, nor should it.

You're missing the forrest from the trees or you just don't understand or didn't read the OP.

This isn't a case of a company having bigoted people work for them, this is the company making multiple public offensive media messages and constantly dodging responsibility for their words and actions.

The company has outwardly marketed their products using the belittlement of trans issues as the selling point. Not a person in the company, the company itself (and the company GOG, which is closely related to CDPR)

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Transphobia and Dismissive Behavior Over Multiple Posts in this Thread
This... sometimes I fell like everyone here are really young, which probably is not the case you just can't live life in black and white.
Right? Life is complicated and relationships are too. You have to learn to work with and around people you don't always agree with sometimes. And there are moral compromises everywhere--environmentally, culturally, politically, etc.

I actually wonder if it's maybe the part of the country that people live in that makes the difference. I certainly couldn't function where I live in the deep South if I took a lot of the stances people take. And I think a lot of people would view me as self righteous. I pick my battles. Occassionally, if I think someone is open, I might say something to someone who uses a gay slur, I certainly say something to my students when I hear them doing it. But I've certainly learned to live and let live and let larger zeitgeist take shape. The progress on LGBT issues in the last 10 years is astounding to me. And I don't think that progress has much if anything to do with boycotting people with differing views.

Oct 25, 2017
i thought the whole point of a market was that people signal what they want from companies by exchanging money for the products they think are best?

always silly to me how alleged market proponents don't like when the mechanisms of the market are used to push for social change

if not buying a video game over the framerate is valid - which it is - then certainly not buying a game because of poor representation of real world issues is too

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You saw these people at the VGA's last year.

Their lifestyle is definitely different than mines

giphy.gif

somebody help

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Admittedly I have not kept track of every single instance but serious questions. Have they committed any crimes? If so then I would draw the line. But people are allowed their opinions, however atrocious. I'm no white knight, just a guy who likes to play good games.

oh ok you're just an idiot.

Thread bringing out the best and brightest

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
You're missing the forrest from the trees or you just don't understand or didn't read the OP.

This isn't a case of a company having bigoted people work for them, this is the company making multiple public offensive media messages and constantly dodging responsibility for their words and actions.

The company has outwardly marketed their products using the belittlement of trans issues as the selling point. Not a person in the company, the company itself (and the company GOG, which is closely related to CDPR)

I guess we just disagree here. I saw all those GOG tweets when they happened. I'm just saying, and I don't mean this to be dismissive, if I took offense at that, I literally would have to disassociate with half of my friends. I probably would have had to stop working for the college I work for. There is shit that happens that I really disagree with a lot of the time. But I pick my battles and try to find the important ones.

Like I said, I'm an open gay man, and I have friends that are fundementalist Baptist. We clearly don't agree on that issue. But we are still friends. And I think that is not even close to someone hinting at having different politics. That is someone who literally straight up has the opinion that being gay is immoral/wrong.

johncelery

Apr 19, 2018
The point is a company is filled with people who may or may not share the views of the actions of a company, that has no impact on the "ethics" or "morality" to deny them your service because you might be harming the employee's paycheck.

And no, what they said wasn't close to an apology.

"Sorry to all those offended by one of the responses sent out from our account earlier," a tweet on the official Cyberpunk 2077 Twitter account said. "Harming anyone was never our intention."

All they said was "we're sorry you're offended", which is about as much of a non-apology as you can get.

Idk, I thought the depth of the apology was in pretty good proportion to the wrongfulness of the tweet.

I know a lot of digital ink has been spilt to convince people that a "sorry you were offended" style response is, always and in every case, insincere and a new wrong until itself, but I don't buy that -- it is a perfectly appropriate response in some cases. There is a difference between transphobic jokes and jokes that aren't sensitive to trans feelings. There is a difference between trans people being the butt of a joke, and a joke that puns on a popular issue im the culture,and incidentally impacts trans people. Those differences are especially important when we're talking about members of different cultures who might not have the same sensitivities or exposures to our ways of thinking.

I'm not saying the tweet was entirely innocent (I don't think it was), but I don't think we can say it was certainly malicious either. Reasonable minds should be able to differ on this.

You might want a more fulsome apology, but I'm not sure you are owed it. Of course, you also don't owe them your money either.

Deleted member 1120

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we just disagree here. I saw all those GOG tweets when they happened. I'm just saying, and I don't mean this to be dismissive, if I took offense at that, I literally would have to disassociate with half of my friends. I probably would have had to stop working for the college I work for. There is shit that happens that I really disagree with a lot of the time. But I pick my battles and try to find the important ones.
You picking your battles doesn't mean you get to tell others how to pick theirs.

Oct 25, 2017
my opinion is that this will be "wow, cool robot" the game

i might be pleasantly surprised, but i don't have the highest of hope's right now - gonna wait and see how the game turns out

it is nice that the game will have queer relationships according to an interview, but who knows how the execution will be

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Idk, I thought the depth of the apology was in pretty good proportion to the wrongfulness of the tweet.

I know a lot of digital ink has been spilt to convince people that a "sorry you were offended" style response is, always and in every case, insincere and a new wrong until itself, but I don't buy that -- it is a perfectly appropriate response in some cases. There is a difference between transphobic jokes and jokes that aren't sensitive to trans feelings. There is a difference between trans people being the butt of a joke, and a joke that puns on a popular issue im the culture,and incidentally impacts trans people. Those differences are especially important when we're talking about members of different cultures who might not have the same sensitivities or exposures to our ways of thinking.

I'm not saying the tweet was entirely innocent (I don't think it was), but I don't think we can say it was certainly malicious either. Reasonable minds should be able to differ on this.

You might want a more fulsome apology, but I'm not sure you are owed it. Of course, you also don't owe them your money either.

I'm enjoying 20 post accounts coming out of the woodworks to tell people not to be offended and "you aren't owed a better apology"

Nov 4, 2017
i thought the whole point of a market was that people signal what they want from companies by exchanging money for the products they think are best?

always silly to me how alleged market proponents don't like when the mechanisms of the market are used to push for social change

if not buying a video game over the framerate is valid - which it is - then certainly not buying a game because of poor representation of real world issues is too
This is a great post.

There are more games than I have have time to play. If I have to use a company's behaviour on social media as a tie breaker to decide what gets my precious time and money, I will. I don't understand people getting all up in their feelings over how other people decide what games to play.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Right? Life is complicated and relationships are too. You have to learn to work with and around people you don't always agree with sometimes. And there are moral compromises everywhere--environmentally, culturally, politically, etc.

I actually wonder if it's maybe the part of the country that people live in that makes the difference. I certainly couldn't function where I live in the deep South if I took a lot of the stances people take. And I think a lot of people would view me as self righteous. I pick my battles. Occassionally, if I think someone is open, I might say something to someone who uses a gay slur, I certainly say something to my students when I hear them doing it. But I've certainly learned to live and let live and let larger zeitgeist take shape. The progress on LGBT issues in the last 10 years is astounding to me. And I don't think that progress has much if anything to do with boycotting people with differing views.

Well fucking said. People also have to understanding that although the LGBT movement has been around, it's been making great strides, but these things take time. People don't just wake up and change overnight. I live in NYC so it's pretty open here. I have gays friends and had a trans client. I just choose to leave politics out of my gaming hobby.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point is a company is filled with people who may or may not share the views of the actions of a company, that has no impact on the "ethics" or "morality" to deny them your service because you might be harming the employee's paycheck.

I totally understand boycotts based on morality, but you were implying that CDPR "represents bigotry," and I'm curious why. Do you think CDPR's founders think jokes like that are okay and that they're covering for their social media? I don't know who calls the shots at the company or would be responsible for that employee.

Not trying to tell you you shouldn't boycott for whatever reason, just curious.

And no, what they said wasn't close to an apology.

"Sorry to all those offended by one of the responses sent out from our account earlier," a tweet on the official Cyberpunk 2077 Twitter account said. "Harming anyone was never our intention."

All they said was "we're sorry you're offended", which is about as much of a non-apology as you can get.

They didn't say "Sorry you're offended," they said "Sorry to those offended." With a specific tone, you can interpret that as sarcastic or dismissive, but I don't see a reason to do that, personally.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User banned (permanent): hostility, trolling, defending transphobia over a series of posts, previous severe infractions
oh ok you're just an idiot.

Thread bringing out the best and brightest

i'm an idiot? How old are you? I'm betting you were just an itch in your daddy's pant when I stsrted gsming.... Am I right. When you have no response, insult. Looks like threads is bringing them out is right.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Like I said, I'm an open gay man, and I have friends that are fundementalist Baptist. We clearly don't agree on that issue. But we are still friends. And I think that is not even close to someone hinting at having different politics. That is someone who literally straight up has the opinion that being gay is immoral/wrong.

Who you're friends are and what they think of you has has nothing to do with giving money to a company who has on multiple occasions has belittled trans issues.

I don't know why you keep bringing up that you're gay and have friends who think you're going to hell because of that, literally has zero to do with talking about boycotting a company due to their consistently shit social media.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

I mean if your threshold is literal crimes then I guess you'll never have a problem with almost any entertainment spreading intolerance. I understand we all need to make concessions to exist in this world. The world isn't black and white, but this is like what the third or fourth example of this company being shitty in the past year? A year that has seen a lot of garbage thrown at the LGBT community. At this point there are enough good games coming from other places that I can pass on this one. You're not obligated to feel the same way, but seeing people say that it is crazy to feel like CDPR has alienated them just feels like they are unwilling to empathize.

Jun 7, 2018
Maybe that one social media guy won a competition to design an in-game poster?

Maybe it's actually a modular sex robot?

Maybe the artist's hand slipped and accidentally drew a penis and nobody else noticed?

Maybe there's a whole subplot involving sausage smuggling sidequests in order to outwit the evil, future Vegan Police?

Maybe, maybe, maybe...

We should give them the benefit of the doubt and keep inventing maybes until we have more context.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i'm an idiot? How old are you? I'm betting you were just an itch in your daddy's pant when I stsrted gsming.... Am I right. When you have no response, insult. Looks like threads is bringing them out is right.

"i'm just a guy who likes games", is basically as pointless of a response you can get when talking about anything relating to social/political issues intersecting with games. And you asked if the company committed crimes as being your threshold for morality.

Congrats, you like games.

I'm old enough to not call myself a gamer, so how old are you?

Last edited:

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Hey uhhh, have you guys been discussing this really transphobic ad that appears to exist within the game's world?

I'm not even going to embed the tweet because the image is really not cool. Here it is.

Can anyone confirm if this is real? Have you guys already been discussing it? Seeing the tweet actually blew my mind, so I'm admittedly rushing to post this because holy shit.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

somehow you still look worse than those throwing around insults so

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey uhhh, have you guys been discussing this really transphobic ad that appears to exist within the game's world?

I'm not even going to embed the tweet because the image is really not cool. Here it is.

Can anyone confirm if this is real? Have you guys already been discussing it? Seeing the tweet actually blew my mind, so I'm admittedly rushing to post this because holy shit.

there was a thread but it was locked.

Deleted member 1120

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No but I thought the point of this thread was to talk about how/why we justify the positions we take on these kinds of issues? I mean, that's what we are talking about here, right?
You're talking about how you're friends with people who believe in trying to deny your rights and acting like people have to do it as well. I had more written but someone else already responded to you better than I could.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017

I assume it's not really being discussed here right now because a thread was made regarding it and locked (at least temporarily).

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

We have, but the discussion got sidetracked by old, tired arguments of "the company is made up of lots of people" and "how can you function in society if you don't support bigot game developers?"

Here is "my" post about the subject:
I will leave here the word of someone I trust on transgender issues:

Basically, knowing who is making the game, this can be a sign of bad representation of transgender folk in the game (basically as fetishes and not as people).

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I totally understand boycotts based on morality, but you were implying that CDPR "represents bigotry," and I'm curious why. Do you think CDPR's founders think jokes like that are okay and that they're covering for their social media? I don't know who calls the shots at the company or would be responsible for that employee.

Not trying to tell you you shouldn't boycott for whatever reason, just curious.

They didn't say "Sorry you're offended," they said "Sorry to those offended." With a specific tone, you can interpret that as sarcastic or dismissive, but I don't see a reason to do that, personally.

"Sorry to all those offended" is literally just the plural of "Sorry you're offended"

I think the multiple instances of saying bigoted things and making jokes out of trans rights multiple times (and advocating for GamerGate by proxy in a another tweet), and having zero real responses from the higher ups tells me at best they don't care about what their company has outwardly represented.

Literally all they had to do was just take like a small paragraph outlining why what they did was wrong and that they understand why people were upset.

The most minimum amount of effort was all that it took to remedy the issue, and that was even too much for them.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean if your threshold is literal crimes then I guess you'll never have a problem with almost any entertainment spreading intolerance. I understand we all need to make concessions to exist in this world. The world isn't black and white, but this is like what the third or fourth example of this company being shitty in the past year? A year that has seen a lot of garbage thrown at the LGBT community. At this point there are enough good games coming from other places that I can pass on this one. You're not obligated to feel the same way, but seeing people say that it is crazy to feel like CDPR has alienated them just feels like they are unwilling to empathize.

Not once did i say iit's crazy to boycott them. I totally respect thwt. I just said why I disagreed. I DO empathize. I live in nyc and have plenty gay friends and also had a trans client. But EVERY one of them would tell you they don't want no one sticking up for them. They are proud AF! They would not give it a second thought about me buying the game. Hell a coupke of them are gamers and buying game also.

Well i gotta go. Sorry I triggered some of yall. Didn't mean to. Ttyl.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
there was a thread but it was locked.

Very busy at work all day, so I hadn't been able to read Era much at all and then when a friend linked me to this I literally came here assuming there had to be a thread and only saw this one. Thanks for the info; hopefully it's unlocked since this seems pretty worthy of discussion.

Like frankly I don't know how we can say "obviously they learned their lesson, they apologized" when there is such clear evidence to the contrary in the game world itself. The two conversations are pretty linked.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
We have, but the discussion got sidetracked by old, tired arguments of "the company is made up of lots of people" and "how can you function in society if you don't support bigot game developers?"

Here is "my" post about the subject:

It got side tracked because no one knows if said person is trans and the outrage was unfounded.

Last edited:

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I wrote about the first demo's racism after I saw it behind closed doors a year ago:

I'm all-in on Cyberpunk 2077, but one element of the E3 demo disappointed me | RPG Site

Cyberpunk 2077's E3 demo was amazing, but one element of it was particularly jarring.

And given that they straight up killed the character I talk about in the trailer they decided to show at the biggest gaming event of the year, I'm even more disappointed. Especially considering that, after the demo, we were given sheets to write feedback on and I was honest with mine. I can't support this game and it will take a herculean effort for it to somehow convince me of giving it the benefit of the doubt after the racism and transphobia. I'm thoroughly not ready for all the worship the game will get in spite of how it's already alienated people of color and trans people. I'm not trans but I am queer, and I haven't felt a game feel so exclusionary to people like me, like, ever.

Edit: Not to mention that one (1) tweet I made about this in the midst of all the E3 excitement got me several idiot nerds attacking me in my notifs and calling me a moronic bitch + acting like they knew more than an actual press person. Lmao. Because that's the kind of community that's been encouraged.
Forgot to say, I read your article, and it's pretty on point as to why some people think this game will be a failure to the Cyberpunk genre, and why it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. I hope you keep writing about it, though, and give your perspective of the game when it releases.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"i'm just a guy who likes games", is basically as pointless of a response you can get when talking about anything relating to social/political issues intersecting with games. And you asked if the company committed crimes as being your threshold for morality.

Congrats, you like games.

I'm old enough to not call myself a gamer, so how old are you?
44. You?

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not once did i say iit's crazy to boycott them. I totally respect thwt. I just said why I disagreed. I DO empathize. I live in nyc and have plenty gay friends and also had a trans client. But EVERY one of them would tell you they don't want no one sticking up for them. They are proud AF! They would not give it a second thought about me buying the game. Hell a coupke of them are gamers and buying game also.

Gay, Trans... talking for them, saying he triggered people!

tenor.gif

Get this man a prize

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sir your dogwhistle is broken.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Who you're friends are and what they think of you has has nothing to do with giving money to a company who has on multiple occasions has belittled trans issues.

I don't know why you keep bringing up that you're gay and have friends who think you're going to hell because of that, literally has zero to do with talking about boycotting a company due to their consistently shit social media.
I don't see why you don't see the connection there. It has to do with the larger position of how ideologically pure you try to be in your interactions (economic or personal). I guarantee you if you took some of the stuff 90% of us bought in the last week even, and looked into the culture/politics surrounding it, you'd find some stuff that would be pretty horrific--horrible working conditions, child labor, animal cruelty, environmental catastrophes and violations. And yet most of us still buy those products. Are those lesser issues than someone at company's tweeting habits?

I'm not making an argument for nihilism or just throwing your hands up. I just try to keep level headed about this stuff. I was concerned enough, for example, about animal well fare and the environmental politics around beef, for example, that I became vegetarian about a decade ago. But I recognize other people aren't willing to make that compromise. It's complicated what we decide to act on and what don't, but it definitely isn't black and white.

Like I said earlier, you pick your battles and compromises. And for me, boycotting a company due to handful of bad tweets/joke don't rank because I don't think it's possible to live my life to that level of ideological purity.

Now that is not to say I don't think it was worth calling out or talking about. When someone says something / makes a bad joke about something, shedding light on the problems is a good thing (if handled the right way--in my view it can do more harm than good when it comes off as a self righteous crusade that might make us feel better, but makes the actual situation worse and creates more resentment). But don't really think someone making some bad tweets justifies more than calling it out. Because I don't know how to function in a way that isn't blatantly hypocritical if I say, boycot one company because someone there made some bad tweets, but then obvliviously buy a bunch of products that are created in what I consider to be much worse conditions. I try to reserve boycotting (economic) /cutting people (social) off for really extreme breaches, elsewise I'd go crazy and alienate myself from pretty much everything given the part of the country I live in.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
It got side tracked because no one knows if said person is trans and the outage was unfounded.

The person doesn't have to identify as trans -- they can't, in fact, as they are a fictional creation entirely made up by the game's designers who chose everything about how they're presented, so there is no such thing as their chosen identity -- for the phrase "Mix It Up" over someone femme presenting with a clearly visible penis to seem pretty uncool, given the context of the company it's coming from. If they actually had a history of good trans representation and awareness of such concerns, I'm sure people would give it the benefit of the doubt. Instead they have precisely the opposite. It's absurd to pretend the image exists in a void.

Status
Not open for further replies.