• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I am well aware of where this meme originated. Still, in the circumstances it's a bad joke at worst, using it to accused of a whole company to be trans-phobic is hilarious. This is like saying everyone on r/historymemes are nazis because they dare to make memes out of WW2.
I mean, any level of critical thinking will land you with the fact that it's a nuanced issue and that when a bigoted opinion can be cast in a sentence, it's hard to consider the nuance in entirety each time you respond.

If you're actually interested in understanding instead of mocking and prodding then you could read the 'It wasn't the company though, it was a person on twitter!' section in this post:

It breaks down how it goes beyond a single tweet or person on Twitter.

0ean

Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Just because a company doesn't appear at LGBT events doesn't make it LGBT-phobic. The fact that it's set in a dystopia will mean there will be swear words, racial undertones and anti-LGBT from some of the population in-game. Hell even drug taking and illegal criminal activity. Am I right in assuming though that some of the NPCs will be LGBT and of different races right?
The game is supposed to be a realistic dystopia. I feel complaining about the word "cocksucker" in a game is like complaining that there is crime in the game.

I don't see the issue here, unfortunately the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows and it takes the worst of it to put it in this game to make it a realistic future.

Anyway my 2cents.

Kosma

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I respect your opinion OP I too feel left out of many media shows and games because the protagonists are always americans and never of Polish descent.

One of the reasons I enjoyed the Witcher so much is that I finally felt like the experience was Polish and everything felt like it spoke to me.

I hope one day you will also get an awesome game experience that is exactly how you want it to be.

For me that was Witcher 3 and I wouldnt change anything about how it showed the game world.

Kosma

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jus to add I think its a little disrespectful to say Witcher 3 is white for no reason whatsoever, if you read up on it you would know why.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CDproject could kill a child and nothing will happen. I never saw so much people licking the boots of a company even in situations like that

Is killing children legal in Poland or something? Because "situations like that", if you are referring to murdering someone, don't tend to happen often in the video games industry last time I checked.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I am well aware of where this meme originated. Still, in the circumstances it's a bad joke at worst, using it to accused of a whole company to be trans-phobic is hilarious. This is like saying everyone on r/historymemes are nazis because they dare to make memes out of WW2.

It's like you are being obtuse on purpose. This has been explained before, in this thread and in the one about the aforementioned tweet. Whether you like it or not, these jokes normalize transphobic sentiment in the gaming community, and give strength to the people that have been harassing queer people out of the industry for the past several years. Imagine your identity being questioned daily by people online, only to have a big, popular company (important to remember that CDP is seen as the defender of PC Gamers, with their fight against DRM and everything else people consider bad, such as microtransactions) to make the same kind of joke those people that have been harassing you make.

And people then wonder why we are happy when we get some token representation in games, like with Overwatch.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you don't want to support the amazing job that CDPR has done for PC gaming, that's all and fine as that is your choice. I have no issues with doing so. GOG is by far the most consumer-friendly PC gaming store/launcher with its complete 100% no DRM policy.

For me, actions speak much louder than Twitter posts, but I can understand that for some people it is the other way around.

So they can be transphobic and bigoted, but it doesn't matter because the store is 100% against DRM!

You should really take a look at the crap you just said. Pretty representative of the gaming community tbh.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
The only thing they can't do is announce Cyberpunk exclusively for EGS. Now that would be something that would bother people.
don't worry, there's a 0% chance of that happening according to this actual ad on GOG:
eeshyykw9.png

100% of my money!

Neil Howarth

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling; account still in junior phase
Maybe next time just Don 't but the Game and leave the cry for attention somewhere?

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
So they can be transphobic and bigoted, but it doesn't matter because the store is 100% against DRM!

You should really take a look at the crap you just said. Pretty representative of the gaming community tbh.
That's why you would never see them doing an exclusive deal with Epic. That's where the real heat comes.

Kartul7

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Still going to buy it, they seem somewhat progressive to me, except for those few occasions. And to be fair, that doesn't even matter. Would still buy, the game looks awesome and a lot of good people have put work into it.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I'm an Afro American. I am currently playing Witcher 3 and will buy Cyberpunk 2077. The only line I draw in the sand is lootboxes pretty much. Now if the whole entire company made a press conference and said they hate people of color and everything that is not Polish only then I would withdraw my support

I don't let a few bad apples get in the way of my entertainment. If I did I'd have nothing to play. We can dig up dirt on pretty any company with ease

Not trying to convince anyone of anything. you do you

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Maybe next time just Don 't but the Game and leave the cry for attention somewhere?
Still going to buy it, they seem somewhat progressive to me, except for those few occasions. And to be fair, that doesn't even matter. Would still buy, the game looks awesome and a lot of good people have put work into it.
I'm an Afro American. I am currently playing Witcher 3 and will buy Cyberpunk 2077. The only line I draw in the sand is lootboxes pretty much. Now if the whole entire company made a press conference and said they hate people of color and everything that is not Polish only then I would withdraw my support

I don't let a few bad apples get in the way of my entertainment. If I did I'd have nothing to play. We can dig up dirt on pretty any company with ease

Reading this during pride month. 'Tis a gaming community, alright.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why they moved away from the woman used in the original trailer as the "default" playable character

Market testing that 80+ % of their playing base is probably male. Then going "Also look at the movies Drive and Blade Runner with heartthrob Ryan Gosling in marketing!". It is what it is with marketing at times. Doesn't mean you have to imply that means you have to play as the default guy

As I said to someone else earlier in this topic, did you play as default male Shephard? It wasn't till the second Mass Effect IIRC (Or it might have been third?) EA went in a bit more on female Shep, but these were still the demographics

Only 18% of players chose to play as a female Commander Shepard, while the other 82% experienced the game as a male Shepard.

CDPR should do a reversible cover, but they probably won't.

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't mean you have to imply that means you have to play as the default guy

I'm not implying anything, but the character used in the marketing does make a difference and she looked a lot cooler than generic buzz cut white dude. Also the Mass Effect stats prove that point, not serve as justification for it. People overwhelmingly chose male Shepherd because that was who was advertised in the first game and people likely carried that on. I have no doubt if Fem Shepherd was the default in advertising those numbers would be drastically different

It's not a huge deal, it's just kind of annoying

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not implying anything, but the character used in the marketing does make a difference and she looked a lot cooler than generic buzz cut white dude

I think I agree, but I'm creating my own character anyway, and I don't see why most people wouldn't. In a game where you can do that, I think it matters less what the generic options appear as. You're not locked into either of them or forced to look that way.

But the female "lead" does say cunt, so it's swings and roundabouts on the problematic scale. "Cleaner than a cunt in a covenant." is in this video somewhere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjF9GgrY9c0

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'm hoping you don't mean it, but the LGBT community shouldn't be overlooked during the rest of the year, either.
Obviously not, but stings a bit more during this month. After the whole Dragon Quest XI debacle I've also became jaded about Gamers actually caring, anyways. Still annoys me that people think it's okay to say they don't care, when doing that on an EGS topic is an insta-ban nowadays.

Kosma

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Not trying to convince anyone of anything. you do you

High five brother.

I'm white and Polish and I love stuff like Boyz in the Hood. Actually a black or woman protagonist speaks more to me then a stereotypical "wasp".

The more real diversity the better, no one wants art by committee.

Neil Howarth

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Obviously not, but stings a bit more during this month. After the whole Dragon Quest XI debacle I've also became jaded about Gamers actually caring, anyways. Still annoys me that people think it's okay to say they don't care, when doing that on an EGS topic is an insta-ban nowadays.

Never did I ever mention not caring. I will fight till the death for your right to have this crusade in gaming, but nowhere am I obliged to fully support this crusade or join it. It'just gets a bit tiring when half the frontpage is about representation in gaming.

You will never be fully represented in every piece of media, Nor Will I. And that is okay.

Kartul7

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
It shouldn't really sting more this month - people should not need a calendar to check whether they need to be decent human beings or not. If they do then they're just not that great of people. But, are people really trying to force a game boycott here under the threat of ban?

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
My only dilemma with buying this game is if I get it on current gen or next gen.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Never did I ever mention not caring. I will fight till the death for your right to have this crusade in gaming, but nowhere am I obliged to fully support this crusade or join it. It'just gets a bit tiring when half the frontpage is about representation in gaming.

You will never be fully represented in every piece of media, Nor Will I. And that is okay.

I understand there is a side conversation going on about representation, but the initial topic that spurred this thread has nothing to do with it, and more to do with how queer people are seen by CD Projekt. You are also free to press "Ignore" in threads you do not wish to participate in the active discussion, as I do with threads about subjects that personally bothers me, either due to my mental issues or that I see as simply Gamer outrage (such as most of the EGS topics).

I'd be lying if I said I'm not asking people to join the "crusade", but no one is forced to, nor are they forced into even posting here. If you simply do not care, do not post. Posting you do not care does not advance the conversation for any side, and serves only to frustrate those who do care, as there is simply no counter-argument. What do I say to people who don't care, besides be more empathetic?

It shouldn't really sting more this month - people should not need a calendar to check whether they need to be decent human beings or not. If they do then they're just not that great of people. But, are people really trying to force a game boycott here under the threat of ban?

No one is forcing no one to do anything, besides being respectful. If you do not care, there is no need to post. No one is making a list of members that do not post in here or in other "progressive" threads. You are not risking being banned if you do not boycott CDP, you can even post here saying you will buy it, as long as show some kind of empathy to those who won't.

And it does sting more this month. It's a month of celebration and remembrance. We celebrate all the advances in society for more acceptance, but we also remember those who have died fighting for the rights we enjoy today, or simply died for being who they were. Yeah, it still sucks when people say they don't care about LGBTQ+ people all year round.

May 17, 2019
Did anyone else think the all the footage released has been pretty boring? It isn't the genre, no. Personally I am a big fan of cyberpunk. Blade Runner, VALIS, Biomega, Shadowrun, Serial Experiments Lain, and all that jazz. It can be a fantastic genre to explore sociological relations to technological phenomena, economic developments, and transposition of politics. The punk of CyberPUNK is an explicit part of the genre. Yet nothing seems to be present in 2077. No real political ideas or originality. Why not base it off of the European ideas of cyberpunk as exemplified in Brazil, Metropia, or 2000 AD? It just feels like an average bloody power fantasy mess, with every cyberpunk cliche played straight without a sense of awareness. Not exactly having high hopes here.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is still a year out. The marketing has only started. Their debut gameplay trailer featured an hour of a badass female V, and they were adamant that you could have any sexual orientation that you want, and even one night stands.

It showed badass people of color in different positions of power, and also a ruthless corporate woman. The cast of characters seems to be as diverse as fuck from what we have seen so far. This is not an AC Odyssey situation were you play as a set character like Alexios or Kassandra, but a custom made character that can be any color or gender (Maybe even body sizes?).

Kartul7

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
I understand there is a side conversation going on about representation, but the initial topic that spurred this thread has nothing to do with it, and more to do with how queer people are seen by CD Projekt. You are also free to press "Ignore" in threads you do not wish to participate in the active discussion, as I do with threads about subjects that personally bothers me, either due to my mental issues or that I see as simply Gamer outrage (such as most of the EGS topics).

I'd be lying if I said I'm not asking people to join the "crusade", but no one is forced to, nor are they forced into even posting here. If you simply do not care, do not post. Posting you do not care does not advance the conversation for any side, and serves only to frustrate those who do care, as there is simply no counter-argument. What do I say to people who don't care, besides be more empathetic?

No one is forcing no one to do anything, besides being respectful. If you do not care, there is no need to post. No one is making a list of members that do not post in here or in other "progressive" threads. You are not risking being banned if you do not boycott CDP, you can even post here saying you will buy it, as long as show some kind of empathy to those who won't.

And it does sting more this month. It's a month of celebration and remembrance. We celebrate all the advances in society for more acceptance, but we also remember those who have died fighting for the rights we enjoy today, or simply died for being who they were. Yeah, it still sucks when people say they don't care about LGBTQ+ people all year round.

I definitely agree on you with the being respectful part, if I sounded anything different, I apologize.
I also definitely agree on you with the meaning of Pride month, it's important to have it. However, expecting it to correct someone's moral compass is probably a futile exercise.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I definitely agree on you with the being respectful part, if I sounded anything different, I apologize.
I also definitely agree on you with the meaning of Pride month, it's important to have it. However, expecting it to correct someone's moral compass is probably a futile exercise.
Indeed, I do not expect people to suddenly become allies, though, in this community, I expected people to at least have a little more tact. I quoted you because, the way you wrote, sounded like you didn't care about the issues raised here, though I can see how one could interpret differently. I apologize if I were rude to you, and appreciate having the opportunity to clarify some things.

Status
Not open for further replies.