• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some games are designed in such ways. It's like complaining that there's no diplomacy path to defeat a boss in Souls games, because Souls games are not that kind of game.
That's fine, they can make it. I was simply looking forward to the game and hope that this being a focus doesn't detract too much. I'm not saying no one else should anticipate it.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
If you're scanning the internet for the "optimal" way to play a game, you're already ruining the game for yourself. Because rather than exploring things on your own, you're reading up on walkthroughs which spoils everything.

Trial and error (or even just trial and different paths) is what gives a game depth.

This is a single player RPG - you're not competing with anyone to get something over someone else regardless.

I recommend just playing it and making your own natural decisions, instead of worrying about min/maxing stuff or "missing" anything. Or, just read walkthroughs or watch Twitch/Youtube to get 95% completion, or whatever it is you want in your first playthrough.

Besides, the really juicy stuff is almost always branched back to no matter what decisions you make.

I never said i was watching videos or reading something to get the best playthroughs.

Its not a problem of loot and rewards, but story and characters. But whatever, this debate would take too much time.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
Good. There are two things I hate in RPGs above all else: Gameplay/story segregation and mandatory "optional" skills.

If I've maxed out my medicine and my backpack is overflowing with medkits, and then a quest forces me to go find a doctor for somebody, that's stupid.

If not getting Toaster Repair on character creation makes me miss 30%+ of the game, that's stupid.

Well designed choices eliminate both of these problems.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But that's life. You're not always going to choose the correct choices, or receive the best rewards possible.

If everything went towards the "happy path", what difference would it make to make a choice?

I don't disagree. Some of my all time favorite games are ones where I stare at the screen for 20 minutes trying to decide, lol.

I just know that while we love it, other people are stressed out by it. And it does kind of bug me when you learn of better rewards you could have gotten. Bioshock was infamous for this, essentially turning the choice into a non-choice because the outcomes were unequal.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I dont like so many options. It is nice to have a chance to choose the behaviour of my character or my approach to mission, but i hate to play game 4 times (especially games like these that will take 50 hours at least) to see everything that devs worked on.

It becomes boring because of the same world and mainline routines.

Also, so many storylines usually means that they wont be so great as if they chose to focus on 1-3 main lines instead of tens or more.

lmao dat reasoning

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
So kill a minority.

Rob a minority.

Hack a minority.

Ok CDPR

EDIT:
The above is in regard to my belief of the poor, stereotypical representations of minorities in this game. Others below have mentioned that CDPR has made improvements to this has indicated by a full demo playthrough? I hope so.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree. Some of my all time favorite games are ones where I stare at the screen for 20 minutes trying to decide, lol.

I just know that while we love it, other people are stressed out by it. And it does kind of bug me when you learn of better rewards you could have gotten. Bioshock was infamous for this, essentially turning the choice into a non-choice because the outcomes were unequal.
I can understand this. I remember I actually hated New Vegas when I played it launch, partly because it crashed on me a lot, but also because I would get actually stressed out whenever I had to decide what to do. I was like... taking breaks pretty often because I never knew if I was "doing it right." I think I was kind of expecting something more like Fallout 3 where I remember it being more "obvious." Again though, my tastes have changed and now I love stuff like this where it more feels like I'm playing a role.

I remember the factions in New Vegas really getting a lot of thought from me, because I think the only certain thing you can say about them is "Whatever you choose, just know Caesar's Legion is always the enemy"

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Why do you say this? Did I miss some news?

Every promotional screenshot of the game or select scenes from trailers has minorities in compromised roles.

Asian shop owner
Hispanic thugs
Turban wearing Sikh driving a cab
Its like a South Park episode of minority potrayal.

Fucks sake. I wish they would at least address this. Even say its their creative right and they are not changing it would make me feel a bit better.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Bonus point if one of those ways is shooting the quest giver in the head and the quest log reads "...but you didn't have time for this shit, so you shot him".

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every promotional screenshot of the game or select scenes from trailers has minorities in compromised roles.

Asian shop owner
Hispanic thugs

Fucks sake. I wish they would at least address this. Even say its their creative right and they are not changing it would make me feel a bit better.
Did I completely block off that it's only minorities as villains or potential antagonists in the 40 minute demo which is a fairly good representative of the finished product? Because I recall seeing various races both as potential allies and potential enemies.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Asian shop owner
Hispanic thugs

I was one of the very first to call out the turban taxi driver stereotype in the reveal trailer, I'm not sure how you equate poor representation to killing, robbing and hacking minorities.

Also, I would love to see better South Asian representation as well.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I dont like so many options. It is nice to have a chance to choose the behaviour of my character or my approach to mission, but i hate to play game 4 times (especially games like these that will take 50 hours at least) to see everything that devs worked on.

You don't have to do this.

The options aren't there to make people play the game 5 times, they are there so they can fully immerse in the character they're playing, so if they make a diplomatic build they shouldn't have to be forced to solve everything via shoot out.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017

Also, so many storylines usually means that they wont be so great as if they chose to focus on 1-3 main lines instead of tens or more.

The goal of a lot of reactive RPGs isn't replay-value, although it is a by-product of that design goal. The goal is to make the world react in a logically consistent to your character and actions. The goal is simulation. Viewing everything in the game as mere content to check off of a list completely misses the point.

The Age of Decadence is a fantastic example of this design goal. You won't even see half of the game's content on a single play-through. And how can you have true reactivity if you're still having the same experience as everyone else?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot that. I hated that entire section out of memory.
Btw just so we're clear I wasn't calling you out or anything and if CDPR pulled the shit you're talking about I'd be the first to call them out. That's not the impression the 40 mins of gameplay gave me though.

Thankfully they did get rid of their shitty twitter people and hired someone who is for representation.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Btw just so we're clear I wasn't calling you out or anything and if CDPR pulled the shit you're talking about I'd be the first to call them out. That's not the impression the 40 mins of gameplay gave me though.

Thankfully they did get rid of their shitty twitter people and hired someone who is for representation.

Ok. Cool. That sounds promising. Not liking the Indian cabbie (comes across the same way as Apu's issues in The Simpson). But I'll take your word for it. Every game and every dev has something wrong with it nowadays. Can't win everything. As long as its improving overall.

Oct 27, 2017

You should play Detroit: Become Human

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that "gameplay" makes the choices and not deliberate dialogue choices will alleviate a bit of the choice paralysis. When the objective says "Reach the lab" and the first thing you see is a vent, you are going to reach the vent and get to the lab, while another person will see that computer has a password to the door and assume that was the way all along.

I have huge expectations for this game.

Yes. Greatest Of The 21st.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
(1) kill everyone
(2) talk to everyone
(3) talk to some and kill the rest
(4) talk to everyone then kill them

Mar 11, 2019
Really excited for this game even when I dont like futuristic settings, I do like the mature tone and the gameplay trailer really shows the polish and work that is going into the game (which makes it look like a AAAA game if that even is possible).

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Ok. Cool. That sounds promising. Not liking the Indian cabbie (comes across the same way as Apu's issues in The Simpson). But I'll take your word for it. Every game and every dev has something wrong with it nowadays. Can't win everything. As long as its improving overall.

I dont want to go too far off topic, but this city is pretty heavily based on LA and is in a non-fictional america. Cab driving is a profession that is world wide mostly staffed by first generation immigrants for a number of factors that arent worth going into in this post.
How is one of presumably many old cab drivers in a game set in america being indian & sikh problematic? Would you have the same issue with a doctor in the game being a 30yr old Indian man?

Apu's issue is not that he owned a corner store, it's because the character was the punchline of many racist jokes.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is the same kind of thing they were saying before DXHR came out and it ended up being "we put vents and computers next to the front door".

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool. I loved New Vegas for that.

mAENC.jpg
Now show the "Fallout 4" way lmao

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
Method 1: Guns.

Method 2: Melee Weapons.

Method 3: Sneak attack crit.

Method 4: ...More guns.

Bethesda's fallout games in a nutshell.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait, sounds like the most ambitious player driven RPG since New Vegas. Leaning towards playing a ruthless corporate mercenary augmented to the gills the first time through.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I'm still salty about the bad ending I got in the Witcher 3.
Yeah sometimes its like "Well this is basically RNG whether or not i'm narratively rewarded or punished for this"

Why would we encourage Ciri to trash an that Elfs place who is later revealed to always have been an ally... instead of teaching patience or some shit. Instead nah throw a tantum bitch thats how you save the planet lol

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good. I generally hate shooting in first person so if they give a ton of other non-combat options I'll be happy.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it is about using lethal force or talking, more about.
- Siding with group A
- Siding with group B
- Killing everyone and siding with group C
- Make group A and Group B join forces towards group C.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Magnificent! It's exactly the area where I wanted them to improve from Witcher 3, give me more options dammit!

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they're aiming more for Fallout New Vegas. Dope.

In all honesty though, the demo video was actually a good indicator for this. Remember what they said about dealing with the thugs and getting the spiderbot thing? You could've fought your way in, chosen whether or not to contact the corp lady, or come up with the money to pay for the bot yourself without involving the corp which wouldn't have brought that virus into play.

And when I see the early part of the demo where they have to fight through the apartment complex, I wonder if there is or will be a way to contact that medivac service before you're done with all the enemies there. The initial trailer seems to depict that very situation.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I hope there's not a single "true"/"best" ending, it spoils the fun of making choices because no one wants a shitty ending after a 100 hours RPG.