• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 11, 2018
Australia
The controversy over the C word is quite interesting. As an Australian, I would like to provide a link that basically outlines how I believe most Australians view the word. I really hope that this isn't inappropriate to post and apologise if so. Personally, I very rarely use the word because I dont like the way it feels to speak it but I've grown up a lot and I said it a damn lot when I was a kid. My brother uses it a lot and any other Aussies might recognise something he created which was the shoosh c*nt wave.

I believe it is a very common word in the Australian vernacular. Seriously watch this video if you want to understand how the word fits into our society. However, if you are offended by the word, this video features the C word probably over 100 times so don't watch it.

Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-SUhJT3g1c

On the subject of the trailer - I absolutely loved it. I most loved that it wasn't over the top bullshot like. It was completely believable to me that this is running on currently available hardware. I also completely believe that this is a PS4 game, although it might end up being a next-gen launch game I still think I wouldn't call this truly next gen. It is borderline in the same way the Witcher 3 was when it came out. It's also clearly in Alpha stages and I can logically tell that there is a lot of work left to do on the game. I think things will change a lot by the time it comes out but for how early it is in development (with at least a year or two left) there is surprisingly little jank. really really excited to see where this ends up! I'm also glad they showed because I've seen it but I also think that maybe they should have held off. Of course, things are going to change by the launch I just hope they're not for the lesser. I will be disappointed if the streets don't have that many people all over the place, that said I could imagine them changing the number of people down because it looks to be quite crowded and running into people all the time or getting stuck, having to turn around to find a way around a block of people might be annoying, especially if they don't get shoved out of the way when you move past at a high pace.

Things I would like to see:
- The characters hand coming forward and pressing the buttons on the elevator / digital game panels
- A choice of companion. I didn't love Jackie and I really hope that somewhere somehow we can choose the person that accompanies us. EG; if I play a male character the companion might be female (although I will probably play as female).
- Destructible environments are awesome. I LOVE IT and I wish all games had it but I find it immersion breaking when there is one wall that blasts apart and then suddenly next to it there is a metal thing that doesn't even dent. I understand the necessity of indestructible things in order not to allow people to collapse buildings but at least have bullet dents appear when you shoot something.
- The hints are there (like the space for Swords in V's Equipment room) but I really really hope there is a melee build. I want to be blocking bullets with my sword and then dashing forward and chopping heads!

Things I didn't love:
- Jackie's character doesn't suit my likes. I didn't like the overuse of the word 'Jaina' but maybe that's just his pet nickname for fem V. But he seemed to say it sometimes when it wasn't necessary. Considering I'll be playing as a female my first time through I really really hope we can choose our companion.
- Not completely sure how I feel about the hud. I think Cyberpunk is about 80's style of tech in the future so this kind of works. It's a stylistic choice and it works but I would still like to have more detail than just boxes of text when jacking into the vitals dying girl.

Things I wonder about:
- What happens if we suddenly go on a shooting spree, what do all the people do? I can't wait to try this out.
- Will the cops pull me over for running red lights / driving away from hit and runs? Because I'm certain it's pretty impossible to avoid this type of thing in a game like this
- The Humanity cost of upgrades looks f'n awesome and I wonder just how far you can take this. I really hope it's possible to go full cyborg and look almost nothing human at all by the end. In contrast, I also hope there are human like mods that have a similar effect but look completely organic and human. This is part of what makes human modding so fun. I imagine this will be a multiple playthrough type of game.
- Choice seems to be a massive factor in this game, I wonder so much about how much work is involved creating so many different avenues and different things to happen depending on something small the character does at a certain part in the game. This type of tiny minutia is what makes the world feel really alive but there is a delicate balance on dev time, what makes a game fun (because this is a game afterall) and realism / immersion because in a game like this 'gamey' elements can really break the immersion and when you're going as far as they are with this then it could end up feeling really false. I can't wait until we get to the days where programmers have created engines that build things out by itself using AI (procedurally generated side quests and in-game world reactions) and that devs can just structure the world and the things that need to happen without having to by hand build element by element. Development certainly seems to be going that way, it's just a matter of time and slowly building some sort of automated engine system to save time. I'm positive this type of tech is going to be necessary for games going forward as they continue to become more complex and more heavy graphically and in pretty much all senses.

It truly feels like a living world and looks to me like it fills the hole in my soul that was left by Deus Ex Human Revolution which I expected to be more like this and was so sorely disappointed by the way it handled almost everything. In CDPR I trust. I mean for real this is only their *FOURTH GAME*, as an aspiring artist myself, it is incredible to think about the work, passion and love that has obviously gone into this game. I really need to go back to my Witcher 3 save and play the expansions but I'm waiting for the 2080Ti to release so I can play it in 4K on my new gaming monitor. I've probably prattled on enough here.

Last edited:

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, and as I mentioned in the post, intent of the creator doesn't matter to me. If some minority group takes offense to their depiction in a work, then I'm inclined to listen to what they have to say.
Wait you're arguing that the creator intent doesn't matter because some people are offended ? In a creative process ? Within a work of fiction ?

Really ?

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Does it? That something like that can slip through the official channel of the game/studio says plenty. If it is one person's idea of funny, that's bad, but when in-game components also reflect the same issues as with the twitter post... then what?
Yeah dude, it does. Also, using "pussy" is not the same as using a transphobic meme.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where can I download the video?

YouTube is getting on my last nerve. Does anyone have a link to the 48 min Twitch video?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta stop the puddle police somehow lol
Nothing is going stop the Butterfly catchers.
Yup. They had to, or else we'll get another Witcher 3 situation. They simply don't want to deal with it again.
But it sill ended it happening though. :(

We should just ignore those fuckers.
I'm weird but I HATE branching story lines and interactivity. I quite simply dont have the time or desire to play or watch them all.
You don't have to play them all. Just do you.
X6R8qva.png

So even with the cyberpunk blades of death out non lethal takedowns are possible.
Noice. Some Raiden's sword up in this Business. I likes it.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This is an insultingly stupid post and you should feel bad for making it.

Deus Ex is "a goddamned CYBERPUNK video game". It doesn't include language like this.

GEE, I WONDER WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS...?
They chose to not include it?
Where can I download the video?

YouTube is getting on my last nerve. Does anyone have a link to the 48 min Twitch video?
Gonna have to wait on Gamersyde like the rest of us unfortunately :(

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Why? It's so weird and cringy with bad animations (sorry but for a open world games the characters and animations are good, but still far from naughty dog level ....... )

The problem I noticed is that they still use that same old trick of staging character swapping, from nude to clothed and vice versa because they still can't have layered clothes on top of characters (meaning they modelsie nude characters first and they add clothes on top of them later).
So they always do camera tricks and with some pretext talks to hide the characters until they get dressed or undressed while they swap character models. Soemthing ND or Kojima bypassed a long time ago and you can see Naomi cutting her skirt normally or characters in Uncharted or MGS wearing jackets or remving them in real time with cool animations and great clothing deformation.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
I'm surprised nobody caught the fact that they dropped this gameplay video shortly after the twitter uproar lol. People forgot about that with the quickness lol. Probably wouldn't have dropped it were it not for that but I digress.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Will you also listen to what Mike Pondsmith has to say on the matter if he addressed it?
Of course. But I'm also not a woman, so it doesn't matter as much whether I accept the explanation or not.
Ehr... What? We were talking about what Cyberpunk is "supposed" to be like. Which is the post of Bossattack.

Also, Mike Pondsmith is black.
Is Mike Pondsmith an authority on women's issues? I thought we were discussing the cultural context of, for example, the casual use of the c-word.
Wait you're arguing that the creator intent doesn't matter because some people are offended ? In a creative process ? Within a work of fiction ?

Really ?
Yes? Have you heard of "death of the author"? For a lot of people, the reaction of a person to a work is completely divorced from the intent of the creator. Plus, a lot of creators may have stereotypical and harmful views of certain groups and that filters into their works.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017

Deus Ex is "a goddamned CYBERPUNK video game". It doesn't include language like this.

A different take on the genre ?
Because deus ex is only one franchise that deal in cyberpunk , just because it isn't in deus ex doesn't mean that everyone should follow deus ex path.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow. I'm impressed. Not big on the gun combat though I hope there are more perks like droid control or something.

(I wish we can have a Shadowrun at this scale.)

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I thought Jackie's mannerisms would be the point of criticism, not the usage of the word cunt...I say cunt all the time my brother is a cunt and my friends are cunts.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
...that's it? That's the earth-shattering rebuttal that proves my post is insultingly stupid?
Your assertion that gendered insults are core to cyberpunk is stupid on its face.

Ghost in the Shell ain't gonna have none of this shit. Serial Experiments Lain sure don't. Shit, I can play a cyberpunk-ass dingy and dirty game like Brigador where you're literally paid for killing innocent people and not run into language like that. It's almost as if it's completely orthogonal to the genre!

Chris Best

Dec 10, 2017
Game world looks a lot like Sunset Overdrive. Still bummed it's such a departure from the more darker blade runner look of the initial teaser.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pardon me, but who the hell cares. It's an M rated game. It's going to have foul and offensive language, as well as lots of violence.

Throwing a fit over something like this is frankly ridiculous.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Question: What is the Spanish word Jackie tells the thug staring at his car? What does it mean?

You mean when hey calls him "carnal?" It's equivalent to calling someone "homie" "homeboy" or "dawg" and used in between male friends and acquaintances. He is kinda using it ironically, in that this person is not his friend but a stranger.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question: What is the Spanish word Jackie tells the thug staring at his car? What does it mean?
He says "Hey! carnal!" which is something like "hey! bro!"

I just watched the whole 48 min thing, looks awesome. It did surpass my expectations. If i had to complain about something is that, I wish you would make choices in an organic way. Like in the original Deus ex, that you had the choice of facing or not gunther, or that things happened different if you exited the hotel through the window or through the door, things like that instead of choosing from a menu.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Man it seems like a crazy ambitious game. The amount of density and detail in the world, being able to look at so many things to get context sensitive actions and dialogue, I love it.

One minor thing, I hope they let you stay in first person completely. I would love to just stay in character without those couple times they pull you out for little cutscenes.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
You mean when hey calls him "carnal?" It's equivalent to calling someone "homie" "homeboy" and used in between male friends and acquaintances. He is kinda using it ironically, in that this person is not his friend but a stranger.

I just watched the whole 48 min thing, looks awesome. It did surpass my expectations. If i had to complain about something is that, I wish you would make choices in an organic way. Like in the original Deus ex, that you had the choice of facing or not gunther, or that things happened different if you exited the hotel through the window or through the door, things like that instead of choosing from a menu.

Aah, thanks!

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
I guess the criticism of wording used by criminals in a fictional distopia depicting the degradation of the human condition in a technological environment on which body parts are just assets to be hacked away and sold is valid.
As stated in the trailer, the game is still a work in progress, so maybe players will get to saw NPCs heads off while spouting perfectly acceptable language after all.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017

I think there's going to be stuff like that. For example the narrator talked about the possibility of never engaging with the Corpo and paying the 50k from your own pocket money instead of the bobby trapped cred chip

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
Only caught bits and pieces but I have to sit down and watch whole thing. Maybe I'm crazy but I'm much more into the vibe and atmosphere of something like the new Deus Ex games than this. The style seems a bit goofy to me. I'm gonna watch later and maybe I'll see where all these hyperbolic statements cone from...

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really impressive demo. Didn't blow me away like I expected/hoped though. I think part of it is I wish they were making The Witcher 4. That setting appeals to me a lot more. The Witcher 3 is a top-5 game of all time for me.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game world looks a lot like Sunset Overdrive. Still bummed it's such a departure from the more darker blade runner look of the initial teaser.
They have made a habit to specifically show daytime gameplay. The world has a full day/night cycle and I imagine their interest right now is showing the world outside of just the night

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Pardon me, but who the hell cares. It's an M rated game. It's going to have foul and offensive language, as well as lots of violence.

Throwing a fit over something like this is frankly ridiculous.
What I'm actually throwing a fit over is the absolutely callous dismissiveness I constantly see all over forums like these by posters like you. Posters who are too goddamned self-centered and too egotistical to ever consider another human being's point of view.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6 minutes in, game looks pretty but I'm not in awe yet.
Also, can we stop with the fucking stereotype of Latino characters having to mix some Spanish words in between their English speeches? I am Latino, but I can clearly speak complete sentences in English when I need to, it's jarring and overused, it would be really refreshing to see a Latino character speak full sentences in English without mixing it with Spanish here and there.
Alternatively, have him speak fully in Spanish and have auto-translated subtitles at the bottom for V. Hash-tag immersion.