• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Just curious. We have been seeing that same femal character multiple times and that same male characters. The playthrough shows playing with the woman and the previous playthrough talked about playing with that man.
We know that we can create any character we want and we play with him. So the female would be normally different for every player and same for male. In this gameplay video the male is the companion of that character and I guess the female would be the companion if we played the man. Can we also change the look of the companion, that we normally can change if we play with him? That would be so nice.
Is there any dev from CDProjekt member of Era here to answer this?

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching this. Dialog seems a bit too much on the "highschooler writing badass character" fanfiction side to me.

The combat also doesn't look great. The game also looks weirdly muted for a neon-heavy future though I suspect that's the garbage-tier youtube encoding to blame.

I'm weird but I HATE branching story lines and interactivity. I quite simply dont have the time or desire to play or watch them all.

I hope this game lives up to the hype though
What I recommend doing is not watching them all.

When a choice is given to you take is seriously and make your decision and then NEVER go back on it. Never load a save to see other outcomes. Never watch a video to see what you missed. Never replay the game while making different choices.

The choice you made is canon. It is your character's story. It is YOUR story.

I started playing games with this mentality starting with The Walking Dead Season 1 and I find it a fantastic way to play these games.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This needs third person driving though.
??
wmeCjb2.gif

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
You're right. But I couldn't tell if it was a demo cam or the real thing.
Ah, I can understand that I guess. I'm almost positive they've explicitly said there would be third person driving sometime during E3 or since then. Unfortunately I can't really back that up, but I'm pretty sure you should be good on that front.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
You should read Boss Attack's post.
It's a good post. Doesn't change the fact that one of the figureheads of the genre in the form of Mike Pondsmith is working on this game though. And if I'm gonna choose who I'll trust with the genre, well...
Ah, I can understand that I guess. I'm almost positive they've explicitly said there would be third person driving sometime during E3 or since then. Unfortunately I can't really back that up, but I'm pretty sure you should be good on that front.
Yeah, they did say there would be third person driving, so I'll back you up on that :)

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Just curious. We have been seeing that same femal character multiple times and that same male characters. The playthrough shows playing with the woman and the previous playthrough talked about playing with that man.
We know that we can create any character we want and we play with him. So the female would be normally different for every player and same for male. In this gameplay video the male is the companion of that character and I guess the female would be the companion if we played the man. Can we also change the look of the companion, that we normally can change if we play with him? That would be so nice.

Not a CDprojekt dev but we know the guy is your partner regardless of gender. No character customization beyond your main character. He's a static character in the game and story like Ciri or Triss.

Oct 27, 2017
i fucking adored W3 but i also got it last summer when all of the patches were in place, I looked up just how much changed over the two years i didnt have it I also got the dlc.. I just LOOOVE W3. This demo looked insane, i hope they just play and de bug the shit out of it before launch.
its deus ex + gta + fallout my dream game.... day one cant fucking wait .... i still hope its not until 2020 because i wanta get it on a jesus computer or ps5. i see it barely running on og systems my poor ps4. lol

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think Jackie is different depending on your character.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Does the United States still exist in the Cyberpunk universe? I thought multiple nations fell and corporations took over?

Like obviously the land mass still exist but I have to imagine the timeline is radically different, the government (or whoever is in power) is different, etc.
I don't know how much this game is taking from Cyberpunk 2020 but in '89, the gang of four is established (FBI, CIA, DEA, NSC) who essentially run the USA from behind the scenes and go to war with Central America. This gang of four then isolates the USA from the entire world while the Euromarket starts to pick up pace and everyone uses Eurodollars. After a second Central American conflict, a new administration forms which is basically a police state that adopts a draconian set of laws as a means to establish order.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am surprised by how polished the game appears from by what all indications is an early state. I wonder how much of the game remains to be completed. Maybe a mid 2019 launch is possible?

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm guessing Mike Pondsmith's had a read of the script by now, given that he's co-creator of the game. If anyone"s to decide what kind of language gets used in Cali 2077, then it'd be him.

Also, to go further in-universe, there is a ton of European influence in Night City, isn't there?
Eh, a lot of creators just sell the rights but don't have any input (or have limited input) in the hands on creation of the works using their IP. Also, even if he had approved the use, that wouldn't really matter to me because intent doesn't matter if some minority group finds the use of something as offensive.

I do wonder if this was set in Australia, for example, if the use of the c-word wouldn't elicit such a strong response from people. But if you ground your fantasy/futuristic game with elements of real life, then you can't divorce the reactions to your game from those real-life elements in the current cultural context. Given that the gaming industry is notoriously bad on women's issues, I'm absolutely not surprised that there are people criticizing the game, and it's disappointing that so many people are trying to shut down discussion on that.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised by how polished the game appears from by what all indications is an early state. I wonder how much of the game remains to be completed. Maybe a mid 2019 launch is possible?

They hit a milestone last week and said the game is playable from beginning to end. Lots of work to be done still but they're pretty far along.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Looks extremely interesting even if I'm not too big on first person perspective gameplay, being prone to motion sickness in some of those games.

Having such a large demo does make me hopeful about a release date late next year. Fingers crossed.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Eh, a lot of creators just sell the rights but don't have any input in the hands on creation of the works using their IP. Also, even if he had approved the use, that wouldn't really matter to me because intent doesn't matter if some minority group finds the use of something as offensive.

I do wonder if this was set in Australia, for example, if the use of the c-word wouldn't elicit such a strong response from people. But if you ground your fantasy/futuristic game with elements of real life, then you can't divorce the reactions to your game from those real-life elements in the current cultural context. Given that the gaming industry is notoriously bad on women's issues, I'm absolutely not surprised that there are people criticizing the game, and it's disappointing that so many people are trying to shut down discussion on that.
Mike Pondsmith is literally actively working on the game with them. If I'm not mistaken, he's even billed as co-creator. This isn't just some witcher-author situation.

Oct 26, 2017
How many indoor environments do you think there actually are. Of all those buildings you pass by in the car, how many can we actually enter and explore?

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Eh, a lot of creators just sell the rights but don't have any input in the hands on creation of the works using their IP. Also, even if he had approved the use, that wouldn't really matter to me because intent doesn't matter if some minority group finds the use of something as offensive.

The creator is working with CDPR on this.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much this game is taking from Cyberpunk 2020 but in '89, the gang of four is established (FBI, CIA, DEA, NSC) who essentially run the USA from behind the scenes and go to war with Central America. This gang of four then isolates the USA from the entire world while the Euromarket starts to pick up pace and everyone uses Eurodollars. After a second Central American conflict, a new administration forms which is basically a police state that adopts a draconian set of laws as a means to establish order.

Wow. Really interesting. I thought CDPR did a great job with the Witcher lore so I'm really excited to see what they do with this. Thanks.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
Incredible, simply incredible. I feel for whoever is not hyped after this afternoon.
The world has taken your ability to feel joy.
In that moment when the player starts driving the CYBERLAMBO through the sprawling neon soaked urban decay of Night City...
6gRCnAr.gif

Day 1 - I love this game already
Release Date when?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Wedzi

Jul 17, 2018
I hope this game has a hardcore mode where I can turn off way points and quest makers. It would be really cool to have to learn the streets, pay attention to the locations and character names. Just a nice way of further immersing myself in the world.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, a lot of creators just sell the rights but don't have any input (or have limited input) in the hands on creation of the works using their IP. Also, even if he had approved the use, that wouldn't really matter to me because intent doesn't matter if some minority group finds the use of something as offensive.

Based on the interview i've seen at E3 , that's NOT the case at all.( for the bolded )

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
That seems to assume again some superseding prejudices and/or social stigmas. Given the dialogue that seems to not be the case. It feels to me like we've normalized technology over time far faster than we've eliminated the most basic forms of bigotry in real life. Not sure I'd see that stopping in this setting.
All i'm saying is "pussy" and "bitch" are low-hanging fruit and not even the best/most relevant terms to use in this society to degrade someone. Pussy stems from toxic masculinity and bitch from anti-feminist roots. Given this is a world embedded with circuitry and augments, there's a dozen other terms they could use - and HAVE used in the source material and adjacent universes. All i'm saying and will continue to say is that Pussy and Bitch is lazy and not reflective of anything more than laziness to pull from the rich backlog of vocabulary the entire genre already has.

That said, it is entirely representative of the sort of writing-mind the studio has, given they think "did you assume my gender" is still a joke to make in 2018. They probably hastily scrapped some recorded lines from the game set in 2077 after the backlash. From this snippet, the writing will be a mixed bag of good moments with lots of things that will be instantly aged or problematic. And them being problematic or out-of-date won't be because it is "authentic" but the opposite. Lazy and low-hanging words that have better and established replacements within the established canon of all cyberpunk works.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's a good post. Doesn't change the fact that one of the figureheads of the genre in the form of Mike Pondsmith is working on this game though. And if I'm gonna choose who I'll trust with the genre, well...
It appears that he's not doing the legwork when it comes to writing but doing a lot of consulting.

They very recently said that the game can be played from start to finish.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Mike Pondsmith is literally actively working on the game with them. If I'm not mistaken, he's even billed as co-creator. This isn't just some witcher-author situation.

The creator is working with CDPR on this.
Sure, and as I mentioned in the post, intent of the creator doesn't matter to me. If some minority group takes offense to their depiction in a work, then I'm inclined to listen to what they have to say.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Eh, a lot of creators just sell the rights but don't have any input in the hands on creation of the works using their IP.
Is there any real reason to bring this up? Mike has been on this since day one. He's been guiding CDPR in keeping true to the original pen and paper RPG. He's been proactive on reddit answering questions and he even showed up at E3 doing a bunch of interviews. IIRC he'll be at PAX West this week too.

7gbzDY9.jpg

Mar 21, 2018
Looks great but please don't forget the game will not be out for at least another two years. The state the game is in right now probably only has half of the compromises they will have to make if they want it to run smoothly on PC and consoles instead of their powerful development PCs

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
All i'm saying is "pussy" and "bitch" are low-hanging fruit and not even the best/most relevant terms to use in this society to degrade someone. Pussy stems from toxic masculinity and bitch from anti-feminist roots. Given this is a world embedded with circuitry and augments, there's a dozen other terms they could use - and HAVE used in the source material and adjacent universes. All i'm saying and will continue to say is that Pussy and Bitch is lazy and not reflective of anything more than laziness to pull from the rich backlog of vocabulary the entire genre already has.

That said, it is entirely representative of the sort of writing-mind the studio has, given they think "did you assume my gender" is still a joke to make in 2018. They probably hastily scrapped some recorded lines from the game set in 2077 after the backlash. From this snippet, the writing will be a mixed bag of good moments with lots of things that will be instantly aged or problematic. And them being problematic or out-of-date won't be because it is "authentic" but the opposite. Lazy and low-hanging words that have better and established replacements within the established canon of all cyberpunk works.
The fact that you attribute what one PR guy said on twitter to the entire studio kind of undermines your entire argument.

Feb 10, 2018
In terms of gameplay its not doing much new, it looks like combination of rage 2, fallout 4 and gta5.

Its the setting which is one of it best attributes.
There has not been any blade runner esque games before and especially not one this realized.

Also the npcs and npc animations are a step above in this scale.

Its funny it reminds me of this early rage footage.
(The bar scene) or at least how I remember it looking, looks pretty dated now.

Last edited:

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I do hope that the team takes into strong consideration some of the commentary made here and in other forums about the HUD, dialogue, language, animations, and other little details that can make a better game. Regarding language, I was felt more cringe by the constant use of Spanglish than the usage of the "C" word, although I was taken aback by both. Seeing how this is but one character (even if a very important one), I hope the larger game will have more diversity of language and dialogue choices. I am rather confused by the people who were underwhelmed with what was shown. The presentation had its faults, but I found it impressive that the game managed to work largely well for its scale.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Sure, and as I mentioned in the post, intent of the creator doesn't matter to me. If some minority group takes offense to their depiction in a work, then I'm inclined to listen to what they have to say.
Ehr... What? We were talking about what Cyberpunk is "supposed" to be like. Which is the post of Bossattack.

Also, Mike Pondsmith is black.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The fact that you attribute what one PR guy said on twitter to the entire studio kind of undermines your entire argument.
Does it? That something like that can slip through the official channel of the game/studio says plenty. If it is one person's idea of funny, that's bad, but when in-game components also reflect the same issues as with the twitter post... then what?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wow. Really interesting. I thought CDPR did a great job with the Witcher lore so I'm really excited to see what they do with this. Thanks.
Yeah, I hope they go absolutely nuts in this department. To answer your original question, the Untied States in the Cyberpunk 2013/2020/V3 universe is really just a shell state run by a corrupt government in collusion with megacorporations. Countries like Canada are completely run by megacorporations due to being an agricultural paradise. Open Corporate military force keep American nomads from coming into the country.