• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say that there wasn't a point. Just that they don't necessarily need to be "necessary". There's a difference between there being a point to use something, and it being absolutely needed or necessary.

And like I said, to evoke certain emotions, for example. The underlying point, however, is that swear words and slurs are an integral part of language in a way that racial slurs aren't. This is a simple fact. As such, using them hold some merit, no matter how small. And imo, that should be enough. Of course, that ultimately depends on the quality of the actual dialogue. Because when used right, they can add further flavor on already good dialogue. But when used badly, they just detract further.

As for the rest, one simple question: What about the use of the C-word in Australia?
Given that the game is set in Northern California, what does the C-word being used in Australia have to do with anything?

If the argument that the use of the word is "authentic" then that rings false to me because as someone living in Norcal, I only ever hear the word used as a slur against women. So extrapolating it into becoming common usage in the future doesn't work for me, and it was really jarring to me when I heard it in the demo. It feels like CDPR is trying to be edgy and the inclusion of the word wasn't done in any meaningful way (in terms of addressing gender issues).

Otherwise, I've only watched the demo once on my tiny phone screen and I'm looking forward to watching it again to catch all the details I've missed.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching the whole thing. Looks amazing as expected but I'm gonna try to purge it from my mind so the hype doesn't become too much.

Honestly, if there are people here that think 'cunt' is on the level of a racial/religious/homophobic slur then I'd advise against ever visiting the rest of the English-speaking World because we're pretty liberal with our use of vulgar slang words like 'cunt' in non-offensive context, and this extends to English-speaking Europeans like those at a Polish game development studio. The World, and Western Culture, doesn't begin and end with the United States of America.
Spot on.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I loved everything I saw in the trailer! I can't wait to grab this game on PC and immerse myself in its world. The graphics, sound design, art design, gameplay mechanics, and overall aesthetic of the game is just unbelievably good to me.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
X6R8qva.png

So even with the cyberpunk blades of death out non lethal takedowns are possible.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption uses slang like "beaner" and refers to Native Americans as savages to make a point. Absolutely it does.

Are those examples necessary though? Couldn't they just have not "shown, not told"?

Nothing is necessary, or has a point, if you've a mind to make that argument. I think, ultimately, the proof lies in the execution. These kinds of meta-criticisms that seemingly try to litigate the notion of using slurs at all, as if they inherently detract, is kinda useless. If the story's good, the story's good, and the use of its swear words with it.

Yeah, actually. Now that you mention it, RDR uses tons of slurs against minorities.

RDR does have black people in it, but they are side characters in the background. But, RDR does actually explore Mexican-American relations at the turn of the century and the further pacification of Native Americans including the further destruction of their land, co-opting of their culture, and extinction of certain "sacred" wildlife such as the buffalo by white men.

The only Rockstar game to feature the N-word prominently is GTA: SA which dealt specifically with black LA-Gang culture. And, the Franklin parts of GTAV which was similar in that regard. But, you didn't hear much use of the word when you played either Trevor or Michael.

Totally off topic but why do you say nigger?

I don't, I'd say "nigga." And, even then I use it rarely, typically among my brothers or other close black friends. Hard "R" N-word is rare even among us black folk.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Given that the game is set in Northern California, what does the C-word being used in Australia have to do with anything?

If the argument that the use of the word is "authentic" then that rings false to me because as someone living in Norcal, I only ever hear the word used as a slur against women. So extrapolating it into becoming common usage in the future doesn't work for me, and it was really jarring to me when I heard it in the demo. It feels like CDPR is trying to be edgy and the inclusion of the word wasn't done in any meaningful way (in terms of addressing gender issues).

Otherwise, I've only watched the demo once on my tiny phone screen and I'm looking forward to watching it again to catch all the details I've missed.
Well, I'm guessing Mike Pondsmith's had a read of the script by now, given that he's co-creator of the game. If anyone"s to decide what kind of language gets used in Cali 2077, then it'd be him.

Also, to go further in-universe, there is a ton of European influence in Night City, isn't there?

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Finally got around to watching the whole thing. Looks amazing as expected but I'm gonna try to purge it from my mind so the hype doesn't become too much.

Honestly, if there are people here that think 'cunt' is on the level of a racial/religious/homophobic slur then I'd advise against ever visiting the rest of the English-speaking World because we're pretty liberal with our use of vulgar slang words like 'cunt' in non-offensive context, and this extends to English-speaking Europeans like those at a Polish game development studio. The World, and Western Culture, doesn't begin and end with the United States of America.

A million times this.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see V and Jackie as "bad" people. They are towards the bottom end of a shit society and trying to survive. The people they are going up against aren't nice people. The first people they fight are literally kidnapping people to harvest their mods. By comparison V and Jackie are stand-up citizens. Aside from that, this is supposedly an open RPG where you make your own choices, and CDPR have said that you can play it "good" or "bad".

I don't by and large have a problem with the language used in the demo, but I do have a problem with a partner who uses sexist slurs like "don't be a pussy", but the woman I'm playing the game as has no agency to tell him what's what.
They are "bad" people by the standards we are applying here. They murder and have no qualms of being part of the criminal side of the city, which is actually every side. As such, I think V, her partner and the "really bad" people throwing out bad words equally is not out of place at all.

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That looked amazing to me, though I'm left mostly curious about how much of what we just saw will resemble the real product when it comes out given how much small choices seemed to have big impacts. For a large scale game that's going to be incredibly hard to pull off, far eclipsing anything they did in the Witcher.

I was actually most surprised by how nice the gunplay looked though. The way it translates ricocheting bullets as a mechanic to the player is really smart, and everything else just generally looked smooth to control and had a lot of impact to it. Super impressed on that front.

Wedzi

Jul 17, 2018
I'm really curious how this will run and look on old gen hardware.

Really getting a Watchdogs vibe from just from the density and the amount of stuff going on. I know not every part of the world will be as detailed as what was shown in this demo but it's really impressive. I almost want this game to come out Fall 2020 or whenever new hardware drops so I don't have to decide against playing it early vs playing it as it should be.

Or I could just finally build a gaming PC. If there was a game to do that for, it would be this one.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Finally watched.

The only game I would readily compare this to is Deus Ex: MD, it looks like it shares a lot of the same HUD, weapon, melee, and tech upgrade systems. Hacking vs brute force vs stealth vs coercion stuff as well.

But the level of detail and scale here is far, far beyond what Eidos was trying to do. It makes their fragmented, sparsely populated, static Prague neighborhoods look quaint in comparison. It's like GTA Ex, with an RPG stat system thrown in so you can't simply brute force your way through all early encounters. I almost wish they hadn't cheesed by unlocking all of the Augs/weapons at the end to see how creative they could've gotten. I also wonder how well the stealth systems can work, lugging around a 300 lb partner.

The buddy system seems to work seamlessly, not unlike TLOU or GoW. This needs third person driving though. Might be almost a dealbreaker if you have to spend significant time inside a sports car.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
We're literally talking about a game where the open world begins and ends in the United states of America. Specifically California.
because people creating depictions of different cultures has never been inaccurate before? This is a Polish interpretation of a fictional setting. There's going to be a lot of creative license especially with depictions of future settings.

This could have been set in Paris or London, it's kind of irrelevant, the setting of this game is 'Cyberpunk dystopia'.

Get_crazy

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Thread whining
Wow... people really are making a big fucking deal about language in the game. I haven't been bothered by it at all while watching the gameplay. It's like you people are looking for things to get mad about. Kind of pathetic.

Edit: not seeing the thread whining but whatever.

Last edited:

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
RDR does have black people in it, but they are side characters in the background. But, RDR does actually explore Mexican-American relations at the turn of the century and the further pacification of Native Americans including the further destruction of their land, co-opting of their culture, and extinction of certain "sacred" wildlife such as the buffalo.

The only Rockstar game to feature the N-word prominently is GTA: SA which dealt specifically with black LA-Gang culture. And, the Franklin parts of GTAV which was similar in that regard. But, you didn't hear much use of the word when you played either Trevor or Michael.
I was pretty young when RDR came out so a lot of it did probably go over my head , I plan on replaying soon so it's good to hear the game actually does deal with those issues. Makes me excited to play it again tbh.

Thanks for your posts in this thread they've been pretty insightful

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Will the game allow you to import a custom soundtrack for the background music?

It has to!

Imagine just chilling in your high-rise apartment during a rainy night listening to this, looking out of the balcony to see Night City's densely-filled, neon-lit cityscape juxtaposed with the dilapidated underclass living in oppressive slums. God damn, this game can be GOTYAY-tier if they hit the right marks.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Those who claim that it doesn't impress them. What did you expect? Play a CG sequence?

It is obvious that it produces the sensation of something "already seen" by the simple fact that it is a game of the current generation.
We are reaching the end of it and this game is the sum of the best that has been seen and played. It 's the final result and the maximum that can be delivered in terms of graphics and gameplay in an open world game. Yes. OPEN WORLD.

Impressive is little to say.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Those who claim that it does not impress them. What did you expect? Play a CG sequence?

It is obvious that it produces the sensation of something "already seen" by the simple fact that it is a game of the current generation.
We are reaching the end of it and this game is the sum of the best that has been seen and played. It is the final result and the maximum that can be delivered in terms of graphics and gameplay in an open world. Yes. OPEN WORLD.

Impressive is little to say.
The gunplay didn't impress me at first until the unlocks with the ricochet bullets etc came into play

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Night City, with its currency, the eurodollar. I'm not terribly familiar with the pnp, but I'm guessing there Night City ain't wholly California anymore.
Unless stated otherwise, we're playing as an American in a future version of America. I'm sure there's a ton of backstory that explains the current state of the America in the game and how it's been affected by more culture. But that still doesn't excuse lame dialogue.

because people creating depictions of different cultures has never been inaccurate before? This is a Polish interpretation of a fictional setting. There's going to be a lot of creative license especially with depictions of future settings.
So all script criticism is invalid because the developers aren't American?

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Looks amazing can't wait all faith in CDPR --

Do we know if this is a specific demo mission? It stood out how close all the different check-points are, especially in the car. You meet your friend, then go down the street and have another meeting, then go around the corner and get to the target location. I'd expect to be traveling to different points in the city for a mission like that, not just circle the block.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Unless stated otherwise, we're playing as an American in a future version of America.

So all script criticism is invalid because the developers aren't American?
Yes, considering they wouldn't know about slang words that are considered sexist in the US when they aren't in other countries.

And again, it's a fictional city in a fictional future with fictional currency, kind of makes your argument invalid.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched it. I liked it. I couldn't abide by killing that Dum Dum fellow, however. He deserved better. Looking for the options to side with the robot people and give the corpos the middle finger. All for Dum Dum.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Does the United States still exist in the Cyberpunk universe? I thought multiple nations fell and corporations took over?

Like obviously the land mass still exist but I have to imagine the timeline is radically different, the government (or whoever is in power) is different, etc.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I don't know, I was super hyped about this game and everything about it sounded like my fantasy game. But seeing it? I hate to say it but this game doesn't seem to be doing anything really original, which is NOT a bad thing. If this game could take all the things from loot and shooters and rpgs without any of the baggage and wrap it up nicely, then that's a perfectly fine game. An amazing game, actually. But I was expecting something different. And I'm not sure what. Maybe something truly next gen? I'm also highly disappointed in the cleanliness of night city. It's cyberpunk but just not cyberpunk enough. Where's the fog, and why is it always so bright gawd damn. In the end, I'm sure this is going to be an incredible game, and I'm gonna enjoy getting my hands on it. But that walkthrough left me a little underwhelmed. Deflated my hype for sure. I was expecting too much

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Man that was one sexy character, this shit looks amazing and the next GOAT after The Witcher 3, gonna have to save for a PC cause no console will do this game justice, hot damn.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I almost wish they hadn't cheesed by unlocking all of the Augs/weapons at the end to see how creative they could've gotten. I also wonder how well the stealth systems can work, lugging around a 300 lb partner.

This needs third person driving though. Might be almost a dealbreaker if you have to spend significant time inside a sports car.

Ha, I tend to agree -- I think some of the combat moves need more time in the oven and would've been better to wait on showing those -- but I think that firefight would've been twice as long had they not turned on the high-end skills. Not even sure it would be survivable at their level.

There is third-person driving though. They turned it on after the car chase scene.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
HAH. You're SO good at listening to women. You definitely proved that.

Yeah except it's a fucking VIDEO GAME. I do not want nor expect a 1:1 representation of reality in my video games, especially when I literally just want to relax and have fun and maybe, y'know, escape from every day problems in a VIDEO GAME.

Apparently I am not allowed to have this escape because realism or some shit. Ok. Whatever, man.
Yes, it's a game. A goddamned CYBERPUNK video game. Jesus Christ...

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, considering they wouldn't know about slang words that are considered sexist in the US when they aren't in other countries.

And again, it's a fictional city in a fictional future with fictional currency, kind of makes your argument invalid.
They would know because they're making a gigantic AAA game and would have people that can fill them in on that. Putting even that aside, they have Mike Pondsmith (creator of Cyberpunk 2020) consulting on the game, and he's from the United States.