• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I heard mixed things about the game at E3. It won some Game of the Show awards but I heard people complain about the gun play. Are the gun play issues consistency referenced or was that just one or two people saying that?
FRankly, no press outlet should have much to say on that since zero people outside CDPR have actually tried the game. The demo was not hands-on at all.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I heard mixed things about the game at E3. It won some Game of the Show awards but I heard people complain about the gun play. Are the gun play issues consistency referenced or was that just one or two people saying that?
It's a RPG... so that means if you are poor at weapons and the ennemy has high head armor, a head shot at middle range could end up showing "0" "0" "0" with rolls of behind the scenes dices...
This is no call of duty ;)
It shouldn't be considered a FPS in my opinion and so i would never think about gunplay in such a thing.
(bullet sponges are going to be plenty)

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

RPS is only outlet that threw actual fit over combat CP77. Rest thought that it looked either good or something they need hands on to really judge.

Melee combat with nanofilamentrope was considered to look good and impactful.

Nov 1, 2017
Finally! Here are images of the Cyberpunk Red jumpstart kit:
CPRedJumpstartKitBoxMockup1.jpg

CPRedJumpstartKitBoxBackMockup1.jpg

Link

Nice! I recently ordered a Cyberpunk 2020 guidebook and if this is up somewhere to order I'll nab a copy.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
There were definitely a few outlets saying it looked unremarkable, but I think it's tough to get a feel for a game's combat without playing it.

Nov 23, 2017
Wow, I got so much input so quickly! Thanks for that! Much appreciated. Something else I'm thinking now is that how would a game get Game of the Show awards if all the media got was video? Being at E3 myself but not a media person, I didn't a good chance at all to go in their booth so all I know of this game is based on the public trailers. So I just find the messaging from the media to be strange.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Wow, I got so much input so quickly! Thanks for that! Much appreciated. Something else I'm thinking now is that how would a game get Game of the Show awards if all the media got was video? Being at E3 myself but not a media person, I didn't a good chance at all to go in their booth so all I know of this game is based on the public trailers. So I just find the messaging from the media to be strange.

It was played live by CDPR dev, for both press and pseudo public showings of the game. Someone even mentioned that game CTD in their showing and dev booted game back up from exe.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

They got to see the staff play a demo, not just a video ;)
You should have tried to get there, since there was a demo available for the gamers pass people as well.
It was a real one (there was even a hard crash in one of the showings. Different plays had slight variations as well, so it was not completely pre-scripted. the game even managed to surprise the staff ;)

I recommend the easy allies recap, and yon yeah if you don't mind his controversial channel direction chooices.
It's all on our Fixer's front post, but for convenience:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/437861962 (CP starts at 1:30:00 mark)
and

Let yourself get engulfed by the warm and fuzzy feelings of cyberpunk

edit : damn i am slow to create my posts... beaten
anyway, it must have been sooo funny having them search for the save in order to resume the demo ;)

Nov 1, 2017

You might want to watch the game play video that was release earlier this year, you can make your own judgement on things. It's around 40 minutes I think so you should be able to get an impression of how it is. Like the others said it was basically just RPS ragging on the game play and really the guy overall appeared to have a bone to pick with the game/studio.

Nov 23, 2017
They got to see the staff play a demo, not just a video ;)
You should have tried to get there, since there was a demo available for the gamers pass people as well.
It was a real one (there was even a hard crash in one of the showings. Different plays had slight variations as well, so it was not completely pre-scripted. the game even managed to surprise the staff ;)

I recommend the easy allies recap, and yon yeah if you don't mind his controversial channel direction chooices.
It's all on our Fixer's front post, but for convenience:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/437861962 (CP starts at 1:30:00 mark)
and

Let yourself get engulfed by the warm and fuzzy feelings of cyberpunk

edit : damn i am slow to create my posts... beaten
anyway, it must have been sooo funny having them search for the save in order to resume the demo ;)

I wanted to get to the booth but I had to get to the FF VII line early or it wasn't going to happen for me at all. I had to make a choice lol. I'll definitely check this out.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
That's perfectly understandable ;) The lines must have been crazy for FF.

We'll get to see the demo late August/early September... and then... well... March for extended previews i guess then release.
There's plenty of information in the various interviews.

Nov 23, 2017
I'm excited for the Final Fantasy VII Remake as well, but so far it's been a disaster - I mean they're releasing Midgar on 2 discs and the team themselves have no idea how many installments it is going to be, or even when the next installment is coming out.

I almost don't even want to play it until the entire series is released.
Eh, I'm not that concerned about it. I have no issue with an expanded Midgar as long as it's good and doesn't have Genesis or Angeal in it. I'd love to play multiple VII games if they're all pretty good. They have some of my favorite characters in gaming. I would have been fine with a 1:1 remake with better graphics but I knew we weren't getting that years ago so I got over it. I mean, if the game ends up not being good then that's a real problem but I'm cautiously optimistic after I played the demo. I need to get my hands on Cyberpunk some time. It would be awesome if there was a demo before launch.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Choombas, a 2 hours podcast with CP2077 community manager Lilayah answering points about the game, with a few people (among which the oh so passionate Mad Queen)

There's a transcript of the key questions on the official CP forum, if you want to skip the podcast ;)

Aside from having 3 of my questions answered which was awesome, I had issue with the fact that Lilayah said that it would be "typical California weather" and she didn't know about rain or acid rain. If it doesn't rain a lot at night, that would be a tremendous missed opportunity visually & atmospherically.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I mean line up to play a game or line up to watch a video/someone else playing...it's a pretty easy choice. lol

I expect FFVII will take top honors for the Game Critics E3 awards with Cyberpunk likely winning the video/off hands on category like last year.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Aside from having 3 of my questions answered which was awesome, I had issue with the fact that Lilayah said that it would be "typical California weather" and she didn't know about rain or acid rain. If it doesn't rain a lot at night, that would be a tremendous missed opportunity visually & atmospherically.

Considering state of ecosystem in Cyberpunk even back in 2020 all the rain would be super acidy and toxic.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I understand wanting the neon lights at night, I want it too, but not everything needs to be joined by the hip to be blade runner. We can have other interpretations of what cyberpunk can be to a certain degree.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
CDPR has already mentioned rain and dynamic weather. I'm sure there will be plenty of that.

And I mean CP 2020 was created because of Mike Pondsmith's love of Blade Runner, so you're not going to completely escape that. Hell, the cover of the original Night City sourcebook literally has the Blade Runner blimp in it lol

EvzH3ww.jpg

That being said, CP 2020/2077's atmosphere and weather looks to be much more varied than Blade Runner and that's a good thing. BR is my favourite movie of all time, but it's only 2 hours long. Imagine playing an RPG for 40-50+ hours where it's only nighttime and it's constantly raining. Might get a bit stale after a while.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would absolutely get stale if it happened all the time. I loved rain in Witcher 3 with my hood and cape mod. But I'm glad it didn't happen all the time.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
It would absolutely get stale if it happened all the time. I loved rain in Witcher 3 with my hood and cape mod. But I'm glad it didn't happen all the time.
Exactly.

Also, as someone who's been in California for the past 16 years, I can tell you we definitely get our fair share of rain lol. 2019 in particular has had more rainfall for some areas in Southern California than they've had in decades and there was plenty of it up here in the Bay Area also.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Not everything cyberpunk needs to be blade runner atmosphere to a tee lol
That depends on the viewer ;)
CDPR has already mentioned rain and dynamic weather. I'm sure there will be plenty of that.

And I mean CP 2020 was created because of Mike Pondsmith's love of Blade Runner, so you're not going to completely escape that. Hell, the cover of the original Night City sourcebook literally has the Blade Runner blimp in it lol

EvzH3ww.jpg

That being said, CP 2020/2077's atmosphere and weather looks to be much more varied than Blade Runner and that's a good thing. BR is my favourite movie of all time, but it's only 2 hours long. Imagine playing an RPG for 40-50+ hours where it's only nighttime and it's constantly raining. Might get a bit stale after a while.
I hope out of 7 nights in Cyberpunk 2077 that it rains during at least 3 of them.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018

only heard RPS complain about it. i think michael huber from easy allies was even stating that gunplay looked a lot better than last year

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I understand wanting the neon lights at night, I want it too, but not everything needs to be joined by the hip to be blade runner. We can have other interpretations of what cyberpunk can be to a certain degree.
Y'all got it all wrong. Pondsmith's Cyberpunk rain and neon lights atmosphere isn't meant to evoke Blade Runner. It's going for Streets of Fire.
I've seen the Walter Hill bad movie masterpiece quoted as Pondsmith's #1 stylistic influence and you can easily trace the line of "inspiration" leading from Streets of Fire, through Bubblegum Crisis and straight into Cyberpunk.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if that's true, I was still curious about what people thought about the game so far in regards to gun play and the game play itself. Someone earlier posted a video in this thread and I need to check that out soon because I am interested in the game.
Gun play looked fine in the demo released a year ago. It's just not going to be call of duty because this is an rpg first. And one where combat isn't the primary focus to begin with because there are other means to do missions

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There still will be 2077 ERA threads about how combat in CP77 sucks because of bullet spongy enemies :b
There will be. The sensitivity to some when the combat isn't souls quality is astounding.

Like I get that Witcher 3s combat isn't perfect, but hearing it from era it's the worst thing ever. And as someone who came in relatively blind and plays eurojank I'm like "what?"

I'm glad theyre putting more effort into combat and mission design though, those were their biggest weakness.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona

I attended the closed doors CDPR presentation. Game looks dope AF and since CDPR played the game and showcased it to us, I find it weird that people have an opinion about how it plays. I mean, honestly, they just watched.

Personally I found the presentation awesome.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Boy, the slow burn of what was 5 years from reveal to re-reveal dampened my excitement a bit, but after the slew of info recently and the promises being made and ambition, my excitement is building.

What I'm excited most about is just the premise of creating a character and immersing myself in them, with choices and such. Has anybody gave it great deal ofthought as to what gender you'll play, and your sexual preference? I'm akin to the female, especially after learning the female VA is Cherami Leigh. Also, I think I'll be a bi character, and have the most options when it comes to relationships.

Nov 23, 2017
I attended the closed doors CDPR presentation. Game looks dope AF and since CDPR played the game and showcased it to us, I find it weird that people have an opinion about how it plays. I mean, honestly, they just watched.

That's cool that you got to do that and I'm glad it's looking good from your perspective. The world itself looks so neat. I don't have any issues with bullet sponge combat or RPG mechanics myself so I'm game for that.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Please post videos of the presentation that you took secretly with your phone.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
I wanted to get to the booth but I had to get to the FF VII line early or it wasn't going to happen for me at all. I had to make a choice lol. I'll definitely check this out.

Haha, I did both on the same day. FFVII line wasn't long at all. The line for reserve tickets to play was a few minutes then maybe 45 minutes once you got to your reserve time.
No excuses dude!

I liked what I saw of the closed door demo for this though. It did glitch up one time in game towards the end, when the player tried to hack into and control an enemy? The on screen enemy went full outstretched arms, mannequin mode and just floated on the screen where he was located, then I think he either just exploded or the player shot him? I mean, I'm not gonna judge a huge game on one glitch in an alpha. Gunplay looked alright if not a little repetitive towards the end of the demo.

Nov 23, 2017
Haha, I did both on the same day. FFVII line wasn't long at all. The line for reserve tickets to play was a few minutes then maybe 45 minutes once you got to your reserve time.
I must have just planned my day out wrong. I went to E3 early in the morning and waited like 4 or 5 extra hours then jumped to get the ticket asap and then I rolled up the Cyberpunk booth with a super long line already.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
I must have just planned my day out wrong. I went to E3 early in the morning and waited like 4 or 5 extra hours then jumped to get the ticket asap and then I rolled up the Cyberpunk booth with a super long line already.

Oh wow, 4 to 5 hours prior to floor opening? On the first day? I got there an hour prior on the last day, got my ticket in under 10 minutes for a reserve slot an hour and a half later, then had my pick of anything else right away (Went to Psychonauts 2 demo). By the time I got out of FF7 demo I walked right into the CyberPunk line and waited maybe an hour to see the demo.

Nov 23, 2017
Oh wow, 4 to 5 hours prior to floor opening? On the first day? I got there an hour prior on the last day, got my ticket in under 10 minutes for a reserve slot an hour and a half later, then had my pick of anything else right away (Went to Psychonauts 2 demo). By the time I got out of FF7 demo I walked right into the CyberPunk line and waited maybe an hour to see the demo.
Just an hour prior on Thursday? Wow, I indeed picked the wrong day lmaooooo.