• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
People were thinking that in 2077 the sun is dead or something
Anyway, it's ResetEra, and it's E3. Of course people will come bitchin about stupid shit. They just want to tell you "this thing you like ? It's SHIT ! You know nothing !"
And E3 is not even over. Just you wait for Death Stranding (weirdo boring game just like MGS V which was the worst game ever) , Last of Us 2 (same shit as first game, interactive movie), Avengers Project (online options ?! Fuck this shit I'm out even if I don't give a shit about Marvel because it's dumb !!!!!), Smash Bros (dude are you serious ? It's the same game as ever... so that's Nintendo huge 2018 game ? More like 2002 game !) and Fire Emblem (nobody gives a shit about this licence, it will bomb hard, it's a weeb game for pervert)...
There is page after page of people screeching, "OMG GOTY GOAT HYPE!"

Do you require complete approving consensus to look forward to a game or be happy about a trailer?

Nothing is going to please everyone all the time.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people are getting too bent out of shape with definitions. There can be cyberpunk in different environments. True enough, the claustrophobic, over crowded, dark and neon lit alleys of 'original' Tokyo cyberpunk this isn't, but maybe it's just more of an American city take on it, before overcrowding and massive building structures inundated poorer districts in a bleak presence.
People are concern, that the game named "Cyberpunk" doesn't feel like cyberpunk.

It's okay to have color, light and people having a normal life, but in cyberpunk we see the world behind the curtain. Normal people go to the fun looking MacDonalds and eat hamburger, while the main-character have to infiltrate the slaughter facility to stell some random data, where they genetic manipulate cows into grotesque creatures and inhumanity slaughter them for meat.
The trailer felt like just the curtain. I just hope, the final game will have a stronger contrast.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
But cyberpunk is a man standing in modern Tokyo in the rain with a long coat and holograms in the background. WTF is this? Don't they know what Cyberpunk is?

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I agree that the game hasn't presented as much 'punk' relative to the 'cyber'.

The thing it reminded me most of was GTA. The colourful graphics and irreverent tone make it look more like a satire of the genre, the same way that GTA is a satire of US culture.

What the hell are you talking about... there was loads of punk in that trailer. It has the mohawks to rival Rage 2

Also wtf why are so many people against sunlight? The trailer features scenes at night but I guess their brain ignores those when you've already got that made up in your mind.

Frankly my only problem is the city is big enough. I wanted Deus Ex Hengsha tier megastructures.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the whole UI is driven by cyber enhancements. But we have a limit, so we have to choose what parts of the UI and upgrades we value most.

Part swapping will be cool too. Limited space for upgrades so we need to choose what we really want and what we can do without.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope the whole UI is driven by cyber enhancements. But we have a limit, so we have to choose what parts of the UI and upgrades we value most.

Part swapping will be cool too. Limited space for upgrades so we need to choose what we really want and what we can do without.

Shit, that would be nuts. Like you literally have to BUY the health bar!

Oct 26, 2017
Oh oops lol. How are people complaining that a punk game is too punky though. It's like saying there aren't enough stars and wars in a Star Wars film.
A lot of people forget that punk exists in the word cyberpunk, and that it's a fairly broad spectrum of possibilities. Everyone knows the classic, dark, dingy and rainy Asian city popularised by Blade Runner and think that's the gold standard and the other locale fit for cyberpunk.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh it is there. I definitely do not think the lighting is flat. There is a lot of shade in shadow regions, both negative areas where light does not enter (larger occlusion) and positive bounce.
gi181s78.png

gi3shso3.png

gi2g6sj9.png

I think people tend to always confuse certain phenomenological aspects of light regarding video games. If you have a scene with good amount of volumetric light or participating media in the air (dust, fog, whatever) + Bloom or lensflares it will equalise lighting in an image and make it have less contrast usually. But that does change the fact that shadow regions are dark and lit regions are light.

Like here, I definitely think people are confusing volumetric lighting as "flat lighting" when it could not be further from the case (all the images I just posted are full of real volumetric lighting)

They do look flat but it's not a problem of the lighting technology that is clearly there it's a problem of lighting direction. Too many conflicting sources and contrasting colours that dilute the overall image.

hijukal

Oct 25, 2017
Im voicing my anger about this being a compromised version of the Cyberpunk trope/genre/philosophy
This game is not based on cyberpunk, it's based on Cyberpunk. There's a world of difference.

While the Cyberpunk 2013, 2020, 203X series are very (very) strongly influenced by genre fiction such as Neuromancer et al, it is first and foremost a tabletop RPG system, and it its own twist on cyberpunk styling. It does not set out to do social commentary. This is what CDPR are adapting.

If you want social commentary, read Huxley, read Gibson, read Orwell, read Dick, read Miller, read Bradbury, or read Vonnegut.

dryz

Oct 30, 2017
Well, I definitely expected something more atmospheric. That horrible macho style voiceover was not my cup of tea. I just hope it isn't a main protagonist.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people where reminded of "GTA" because the style of the trailers are similar

It looks even less like GTA now that I checked that trailer.
I guess its that part when they show many people walking on the street = GTA
No other game ever can have many NPC:s walking on the streets or its GTA clone.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I don't remember the last time i've felt this much hype watching a video game trailer, this game is going to be massive.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i think people don't have a problem with "daylight" but the way the game looks at daytime. clear blue skies on a sunny day don't exactly make you feel like you're in a dystopian future.
the teaser trailer made many people hopeful the game would have more blade runner vibes, they almost did a complete 180 from that.

i never expected there to be no daytime but i thought it would look like this

1922230.jpg

or like this

fiaafjn.png

Oct 26, 2017
Shit, that would be nuts. Like you literally have to BUY the health bar!
Yeah, I was thinking magazine size and bullets left would be cool. You have to get an eye enhancement to show you how many bullets are left in your magazine. Without it you have to keep count. However, if you do get that you're locked out of a different eye based enhancement.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I am the only one not particularly impressed. I mean, there's a lot of stuff there to digest, maybe even too much, but cinematic trailers even if they are "in engine" don't wow me much anymore. I will need some real game play footage and some more details about game mechanics to form an opinion.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is not based on cyberpunk, it's based on Cyberpunk. There's a world of difference.

While the Cyberpunk 2013, 2020, 203X series are very (very) strongly influenced by genre fiction such as Neuromancer et al, it is first and foremost a tabletop RPG system, and it its own twist on cyberpunk styling. It does not set out to do social commentary. This is what CDPR are adapting.

If you want social commentary, read Huxley, read Gibson, read Orwell, read Dick, read Miller, read Bradbury, or read Vonnegut.
This...although they can do more with the game. But let's just say that it doesn't dive as deep as other genre titles do.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
You know when CDPR can showcase cyberpunk and nail the atmosphere without using night time rain/fog as a clutch, they can do anything.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
How do you know there isn't a wasteland area and how do you know it doesn't look like that when it rains?

Jerry

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i think people don't have a problem with "daylight" but the way the game looks at daytime. clear blue skies on a sunny day don't exactly make you feel like you're in a dystopian future.
the teaser trailer made many people hopeful the game would have more blade runner vibes, they almost did a complete 180 from that.

1922230.jpg

or like this

fiaafjn.png

Didn't you hear? You aren't allowed to have personal expectations unless you've read the books or played the TTRPG.

But you've hit the nail on the head, people are getting hung up on the word "bright" and mistaking it for "LOL you want a game without the sun?! xD" but thats not what anyone is saying.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Very impressive unveil. This is most likely a nextgen game.

They faked that in-car illumination to hell and back, but it's irrelevant in grand scheme of things.
If they are using voxel volume based volumetrics, then you can totally have pockets of gamespace that have volumetric lighting like that.
Ahn7og5.gif

Good to know I'll still be struggling with mascara in 2077
This hair <3

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1922230.jpg

or like this

fiaafjn.png
How do you know that it won't? and when did they showcase tha time would look like that, all the time and again comparing a CGI tease that his its own process of rendering and ability in how it handles lighting, an other detail that relate to the vibe/atmosphere will be enhanced. It is nearly impossible to capture the same type of feeling, when it was never presented in-engine. Still the trailer wasn't that far away in the first place. There are picture of scene from the role/profession cuts that showcase the same type of atmosphere and we haven't even seen the full scope of night city.

Oct 26, 2017
Some cloud cover and darkness and what was shown could look like that. I'm a sucker for BR esque Cyberpunk, and what they've shown can easily look like that with TOD and weather systems.

BUT I am glad we will get to see more than just pure dark and neon nighttime. I love the look but it would get old fast in an RPG imo.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017

1922230.jpg

or like this

fiaafjn.png
I get what you mean I expected that too initially. I definitely expect moments of the game to look like these images when the weather is overcast / foggy.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The most hype trailer so far at E3.
I don't fully believe these are real-time graphics however. Might be stitched-together crazy-ultra-mode, it's simply too clean, large scale and with perfect motion blur. There's not a single flaw in sight.
Some people will shout downgrade when the first real gameplay demonstration is revealed with real-time artifacts present.

This game will rock. Considering the incredible job the team did jumping from Witcher 1 to 2 to 3 I'm hoping the gameplay-side to have received more focus and a big upgrade with Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look guys, we all expected rain and darkness, but you can't deny that most of us still had a metaphorical raging boner when the trailer ended. They nailed everything, while managing to break our expectations of what Cyberpunk is.
And that is marvelous.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get what you mean I expected that too initially. I definitely expect moments of the game to look like these images when the weather is overcast / foggy.
See this is a reasonabe out look, not just assuming that it won't ever look like that in the game. When there clearly seems to be a night/day cycle and most likely a pretty robust weather system, given witcher 3's own system

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: Cyberpunk means night 24/7 and rain every hour.

Jesus Christ yall, game looks amazing, i can't wait to see gameplay.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
That was probably my dream trailer for GTA VI (SciFi/Future GTA setting) but since Rockstar is not going the that route for a while, i'll take this.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
How do you know that it won't?

i don't know, i can only comment on what i've seen and what i can say is i'm not getting the cyberpunk vibes that i like so much during the scenes where it's all blue skies and the sun is shining.
i'm worried that the game will feel more like sunset overdrive than cyberpunk to me during those times when the weather ingame is like that.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Clipboard01_zpsylyldsyx.png

Loved seeing a Trauma Team aerodyne coming in hot to save a patient. Ambulances arriving on the scene always led to insane situations in our tabletop Cyberpunk 2020 sessions. When you have the right insurance, these medics don't dick around.

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't you hear? You aren't allowed to have personal expectations unless you've read the books or played the TTRPG.

But you've hit the nail on the head, people are getting hung up on the word "bright" and mistaking it for "LOL you want a game without the sun?! xD" but thats not what anyone is saying.
there are several floors to this conversation because people are discussing different things yet everyone assumes that it is all a single argument about just the trailer even though people are not quoting one another.. So people say "it's too colorful" and another say "of course it is bright and colorful, look a Transmetropolitan" other people say "why are we surprised there is a sun?", and another says "I like cyberpunk when it is somber rather than comedic" and another says "cyberpunk is often hilarious, that's the best cyberpunk" other says "the tone depends on what the pnp game is, and that's final" other says "Blade runner looks amazing. kinda want it to look more like that" and the replies keep adding and the people talking about the game and not cyberpunk as a genre get sandwiched in the middle.

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe an odd question, but did someone explain why 2077? Why did they choose that year? Or there is no special reason.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, was kinda hoping to play as the cop like in the original trailer.

Or maybe the Cyborg woman.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
For those who want an indepth breakdown of the trailer, this is one:

He goes into some interesting details, the guy has played the Cyberpunk 2020 table top RPG extensively so he has a lot of knowledge on the subject. He's also shedding some light on the megacorporation and the economic class system a bit that is present in the trailer. For example you have one scene in the trailer where someone from a megacorporation is looking at a camera feed of a riot of some sort and gives off the impression that they are orchestrating the whole thing. You also have a netrunner hacking into the net and assassinating someone at a board meeting for the Arasaka megacorporation. He also went into some interesting stuff about the trauma team. You see them reviving someone and apparently a bit of background on them, they are a very expensive form of insurance that will fly around and provide very expedient medical assistance but only to those who can afford it, and that trauma service employs heavily armed guards. At a different point in the trailer the trauma team opens fire on a group of people, possibly gang members, perhaps they are trying to reach someone and have to fight their way through?

Status
Not open for further replies.