• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
This thread has gotten bonkers. Blade Runner is a masterpiece but why would you want a different set of artists trying to emulate it. A blade runner game already exists... Go play it and then come back and let this game stand on its own merits. I mean jeeze... One of the best developers is making a new game, a developer whosedemonstrated the the most integrity for years now, and you can't curb your whacked out "enthusiasm" (more liked entitled whining) a little bit? Oy...

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
you know, I probably buy the argument that the lighting is a little flat in some scenes, but I think is just that current global illumination isn't there yet.
Oh it is there. I definitely do not think the lighting is flat. There is a lot of shade in shadow regions, both negative areas where light does not enter (larger occlusion) and positive bounce.
gi181s78.png

gi3shso3.png

gi2g6sj9.png

I think people tend to always confuse certain phenomenological aspects of light regarding video games. If you have a scene with good amount of volumetric light or participating media in the air (dust, fog, whatever) + Bloom or lensflares it will equalise lighting in an image and make it have less contrast usually. But that does change the fact that shadow regions are dark and lit regions are light.

Like here, I definitely think people are confusing volumetric lighting as "flat lighting" when it could not be further from the case (all the images I just posted are full of real volumetric lighting)

Last edited:

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So they confirmed Cyberpunk BR 2077?
Cant wait to drop from plane to big city to be the last man alive middle of 99 others!

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
- The sun is still alive in this universe and that's fucked up.

I don't get this criticism.

I was reading the everything you need to know about cyberpunk threads and the op described how the city we are focused on fell to ruin after the founder died.

Standard of living was actually high before it slipped into chaos which encouraged corporations to come in clean up the mess and enforce their control of what became a lawless city.

Everything that summary indicates is that cyberpunk was making a case that we are witnessing a localized problem and not a global one. This didn't sound like a world about corporate power unchecked ruining everything.

It sounds like corporate power papering over serious social and standard of living issues by selling a solution or 6 different ones since there are 6 different major corps to gloss over the fucked up state the people are in.

Some corps would clearly be all about pushing a stepford sunshine and rainbows lifestyle.

You need to explain yourself.

harlekin

Mar 25, 2018
I am not "bitching" about stuff you like. People can like what they want to. Im voicing my anger about this being a compromised version of the Cyberpunk trope/genre/philosophy, that cares more about making itself look like "future hillbilly gta with bright colors" to its audience, than to actually be grounded in the core concepts if the genre.

This trailer is more about selling you the udea that you can buy fancy candy colord weapons and racing stripes for your virtual car than about a countercultural (punk) perspective on a future technoligical dystopia.

And to present you with any dystopian notians, they resorted to put in hillbillies, which they know you love to shoot.

The idea of Cyberpunk is, to voicesystem criticism from an inside perspective. If techno hillbillies became the popular thing, Cyberpunk is over. You dont lough at the dumb people down the foodchain, and shoot them - is kind of a vital point here. As is not obsessing about your car customization options, or your weapon mods. Because you put your freetime into tinkering with bling...

If you do all those things and still call yourself "cyberpunk" something went wrong in the pitch meeting.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Also to all people in here that dont consider themselves to be "a cyberpunk expert". I am. You van find solace in that. ;) This trailet invokes some tropes of the genre, but none, none of the flair. You get sold on Cyberpunk as something it is not. Easily commercially viable.
Alright, you got me.

Now I know for sure that this is a bit. Still, very entertaining.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Ok show the gameplay and I hope it looks as good as the traielr and nothing gets downgraded at the launch of the game.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Cyberpunk 2077....
Perfect Visual style i am seeing here,
For every frame is up my alley!
The design is truly astounding,
Switch up the Hype train...Choo Choo!!

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
I'm going to keep an open mind about this, cuz it looks nice. But this trailer and the previous teaser look like different games.

I hope some gameplay comes out soon.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this criticism.

I was reading the everything you need to know about cyberpunk threads and the op described how the city we are focused on fell to ruin after the founder died.

Standard of living was actually high before it slipped into chaos which encouraged corporations to come in clean up the mess and enforce their control of what became a lawless city.

Everything that summary indicates is that cyberpunk was making a case that we are witnessing a localized problem and not a global one. This didn't sound like a world about corporate power unchecked ruining everything.

It sounds like corporate power papering over serious social and standard of living issues by selling a solution or 6 different ones since there are 6 different major corps to gloss over the fucked up state the people are in.

Some corps would clearly be all about pushing a stepford sunshine and rainbows lifestyle.

You need to explain yourself.
You realise that post was sarcasm?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
But thats not gonna happen unless its very tight corridor running game maybe and nextgen consoles are current toptier pc strong.

Well yeah. This game si compatible with next-gen and maybe it will look exactly like that with next-gen PC GPUs and next-gen consoles. Maybe a full graphical overhaul like this will come during that period scaling the game up to those standards.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of when Rockstar announced Max Payne 3 and some people immediately said "you can't set a noir in Brazil, Brazil is all sunshine and beaches!". Horray for stereotypes, I guess.

that would be a wrong statement to make (you can't have noir in Brazil), but Max Payne 3 absolutely wasn't noir (in its traditional aesthetic). They clearly pivoted away from the first two games and went for more of a gritty Tony Scott style action vibe, it jacked the saturated colors and haphazard editing like his films had.

Last edited:

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I am not "bitching" about stuff you like. People can like what they want to. Im voicing my anger about this being a compromised version of the Cyberpunk trope/genre/philosophy, that cares more about making itself look like "future hillbilly gta with bright colors" to its audience, than to actually be grounded in the core concepts if the genre.

This trailer is more about selling you the udea that you can buy fancy candy colord weapons and racing stripes for your virtual car than about a countercultural (punk) perspective on a future technoligical dystopia.

And to present you with any dystopian notians, they resorted to put in hillbillies, which they know you love to shoot.

The idea of Cyberpunk is, to voicesystem criticism from an inside perspective. If techno hillbillies became the popular thing, Cyberpunk is over. You dont lough at the dumb people down the foodchain, and shoot them - is kind of a vital point here. As is not obsessing about your car customization options, or your weapon mods. Because you put your freetime into tinkering with bling...

If you do all those things and still call yourself "cyberpunk" something went wrong in the pitch meeting.
Jesus Christ... There were hill billies in the trailer for what... 5 seconds?

BREAKING NEWS! CYBERPUNK 2077 IS A GAME ABOUT SHOOTING FUTURE HILL BILLIES!

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Cyberpunk is like The Witcher in that it's a pastiche of existing material and genre conventions, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Original ideas are overrated - Super Mario Galaxy 2 is probably the least original 3D Mario, but it's the best. And I'm down for this game for moving cyberpunk representation in games beyond rainy noir nights.

Edit:

That having been said I agree - this isn't punk. This is comfortably within the establishment of AAA gaming. No thematic taboos are going to be challenged. We are not going to get meaningful anti-establishment commentary. We're probably not getting any allusions to cyberpunk's (as a genre) rich history of LGBTQIA+ representation and thematic reflection. That's just the nature of this being a AAA game. It sucks that we can't get genuine subversion, but that's the state of the industry right now.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Oh it is there. I definitely do not think the lighting is flat. There is a lot of shade in shadow regions, both negative areas where light does not enter (larger occlusion) and positive bounce.
gi181s78.png

gi3a5sky.png

gi2g6sj9.png
Oh I think all the indoor shots look amazing. The only one I didn't like is the one with the girls sitting on the sidewalk. And may just because of the GI causing more natural lighting look rather than stylized, a bit overexposed maybe. That said, I'm not expecting every angle to look like it was lit by a cinematographer every time you look at something in this game. Just that someone mentioned before that some scenes looked a bit flat compared to the Noir look they were looking for, and that one came to mind.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah people are forgetting this game has a full day night / weather cycle, It's going to look very "cyberpunk" how they expected. Just not all the time.

CDPR are amazing at creating depressing and dark environments, It's not going to be all fun and games.. Come on guys, Did you not play the witcher 3?

Does this not look like the CGI trailer?

Last edited:

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK

Well Mike Pondsmith seemed to like the trailer

Maybe just move on and forget about this game... you clearly don't like it so just move... it's ok to not like something

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No idea why people are upset. The only bummer was they didn't show any gameplay. I love the cyber80's vibe they went for.

But the real question should I buy it on ps4 or ps5.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol what are you talking about, do you have any idea about other franchises in the genre? You're going to call one of the most fleshed out franchises in the genre (among ones like Neuromancer/Sprawl), and its creator Mike Pondsmith, not knowing what the Cyberpunk genre is about. Ok. You're being ridiculous, as Pondsmith has said he is working with CDPR as they get his franchise, and his franchise is one of the biggest in the Cyberpunk genre in terms of world building... as its a TTRPG.

Pondsmith is not a novelist or a writer like Gibson or K. Dick but more a (good) showman like PT Barnum. You can't take the merit of the lovecraftian horror and give it to the people who made the roleplaying game of Chthulu.

But I agree on the freedom to interpret a world and a genre, especially when no real visual canon exist for it (it's a pure book phenomenon at first).

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
People were thinking that in 2077 the sun is dead or something
Anyway, it's ResetEra, and it's E3. Of course people will come bitchin about stupid shit. They just want to tell you "this thing you like ? It's SHIT ! You know nothing !"
And E3 is not even over. Just you wait for Death Stranding (weirdo boring game just like MGS V which was the worst game ever) , Last of Us 2 (same shit as first game, interactive movie), Avengers Project (online options ?! Fuck this shit I'm out even if I don't give a shit about Marvel because it's dumb !!!!!), Smash Bros (dude are you serious ? It's the same game as ever... so that's Nintendo huge 2018 game ? More like 2002 game !) and Fire Emblem (nobody gives a shit about this licence, it will bomb hard, it's a weeb game for pervert)...

I continue to not at all understand Reset members' hate for online. I'll be really disappointed if I can't play Avengers with my friends.

harlekin

Mar 25, 2018
User Warned: Trolling
Then call it Cyber80sSitcom 2077
or ArianaGrandetheGame2077, but not Cyberpunk.

you can even safe yourself all the licensing money youve put into owning the franchise.

Next stop film noir in in the eighties.... Just look at those craazy hairstyles.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
What a fantastic trailer. I didn't care for Witcher 2 or 3 much and Cyberpunk wasn't really on my radar because of that, but it is now.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017

A lot of cyberpunk games are discounted on GOG right now. I strongly recommend Observer! It's hidden gem.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Some people are getting too bent out of shape with definitions. There can be cyberpunk in different environments. True enough, the claustrophobic, over crowded, dark and neon lit alleys of 'original' Tokyo cyberpunk this isn't, but maybe it's just more of an American city take on it, before overcrowding and massive building structures inundated poorer districts in a bleak presence.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Then call it Cyber80sSitcom 2077
or ArianaGrandetheGame2077, but not Cyberpunk.

you can even safe yourself all the licensing money youve put into owning the franchise.

Next stop film noir in in the eighties.... Just look at those craazy hairstyles.
Ariana Grande does seem like a pop idol in a cyberpunk dystopia.

Wait... are we...? Oh god.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I agree that the game hasn't presented as much 'punk' relative to the 'cyber'.

The thing it reminded me most of was GTA. The colourful graphics and irreverent tone make it look more like a satire of the genre, the same way that GTA is a satire of US culture.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The thing it reminded me most of was GTA. The colourful graphics and irreverent tone make it look more like a satire of the genre, the same way that GTA is a satire of US culture.

Actually the trailer is very very PUNK which is what folks are complaining about
It's not supposed to be slow and contemplative.

Oct 26, 2017

Wait what? People are complaining about the opposite of what you're saying. The trailer is dripping in punk influences.

Status
Not open for further replies.