• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

robhans

Banned
Jun 27, 2019
Being in Poland, this is not suprising. If You work less than 60h a weak You are considered lazy. You should see everyone shock when i said that i dont want to work 12h a day everyday. And if You are single? Well, You live in your job because "you dont have any responsibility at home"
Add to that, that 1000$ in Poland is considered good salary (median salary is like 600$) and Polish devs earn Polish money, do yeah, working for Cdpr is a mistake.

And knowing how companies work in Poland, i cant realy say anything bad about CEO. At those position those guys dont have live what do every. They are at work 24/7.
Management and heads - those are often the worst and are doing nothing.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Are you working 100+ hour workweeks? Are you starving yourself or skipping bathroom breaks because you're afraid of turning in something too late? Is the cost of living, paying rent/bills/etc. relative to your mental health? Not everyone has it as good as you, and it is well-documented that crunch is not only common, but overwhelmingly negative. Anecdotes aside, I'm sure there are plenty of smaller (hell, maybe even some larger) studios that have figured out a way to have good work-life balance and also not only consider the fiscal aspects of the commercial product being made in the first place. But in the end, if a company has more work to be completed by a certain date, and said work cannot be completed in a standard 40 hour workweek, either hire more people or reduce the workload (by delaying the game further).
WTF are you talking about?

I'm sorry, but the extremities in this post are more humorous than anything... If you're starving and pissing yourself, that is on you. The studio didn't do that, let alone crunch.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
WTF are you talking about?

I'm sorry, but the extremities in this post are more humorous than anything... If you're starving and pissing yourself, that is on you. The studio didn't do that, let alone crunch.

Ah, so victim blaming. Neat.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Being in Poland, this is not suprising. If You work less than 60h a weak You are considered lazy. You should see everyone shock when i said that i dont want to work 12h a day everyday. And if You are single? Well, You live in your job because "you dont have any responsibility at home"
Add to that, that 1000$ in Poland is considered good salary (median salary is like 600$) and Polish devs earn Polish money, do yeah, working for Cdpr is a mistake.

And knowing how companies work in Poland, i cant realy say anything bad about CEO. At those position those guys dont have live what do every. They are at work 24/7.
Sad to read, thanks for adding some background context to the general work culture and expectation there.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Making grown up decisions (Like not pissing yourself) is hardly victim blaming... If you want to think "crunch" is as bad as its made out to be, then go ahead. I am just giving my opinion on it after 12+ years and multiple studios of experience.

Your opinion doesn't diminish the fact that it is literally only your experience and has nothing to do with the thousands of documented experiences of horrible crunch and work environments, all for the sake of paying the CEO of the publishing company.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Your opinion doesn't diminish the fact that it is literally only your experience and has nothing to do with the thousands of documented experiences of horrible crunch and work environments, all for the sake of paying the CEO of the publishing company.
Thousands of documents from the gaming industry about crunch you say!? I am sure... Either way, sorry for providing some incite, you clearly know more than anyone else, based on your internet readings.

Enjoy the game!

Sabercrusader

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would rather they delay to next year if need be than to force Crunch. Might be better off anyways if that gives them time to release a full next-gen port as well.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
getting paid extra doesnt help stress from crunch.
True, but if (and that's a big if) 'crunch' at CDPR means official late/night shifts that are getting paid extra plus aren't mandatory (and if I understand correctly, that's the law in Poland), it's regular shift working/overtime as it happens in many other european companies regardless of industry.

That said, my post did come off wrong, it wasn't supposed to sound demeaning.

warp

Banned
Jan 11, 2020

unfortunately, a lot of people only realize what a waste of time working your life away really is when they're on their death bed. a lot of people also realize it way sooner, but it doesn't matter when everyone else is expecting you to put in the same crazy hours as them.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Yeah, investors. With dwindling revenue, and no one willing to invest, how long do you think they can keep funding the project?

Workers shouldn't have to suffer because management can't do their job. In game development it's a tale as old as time itself. Those with the least amount of responsibility receive the brunt of accountability.

If a game can't reach its deadline while the developer's are also experiencing crunch, then this is a failure of the team's leadership.

But of course, they'll be the ones who suffer the least.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
For the game to be delayed that many months so close to launch and developers need to work extra hours means that project management is bad, or internally they delayed it months ago.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Here's the deal:

If you need to delay your game 5 months to complete it, but even that long delay means there will be soul crushing crunch for hundreds of people, then just delay your damn game until next year or whatever future date will mean that crunch doesn't have to happen.

The world can wait. Everyone will be fine. There are an embarrassing amount of great games coming this year.

I fear there will not be another delay, and that actually sucks :/

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It sort of feels to me like the 60 FPS thing. When people say "when will console hardware get to the point where 60 FPS across the board is standard?" And the answer is probably never, because better hardware will lead to developers wanting to push more polys and effects and lighting and resolution. I wonder if, in a similar way, the answer to how much time does a developer need to eliminate crunch is they won't.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
Ugh the stupidest bit about this is that reportedly these kind of long hours for an employee after a certain point result in less productivity than just a regular work week.

Having been in a situation where I was working on a game for 80+ hour weeks for an extended period of time, my heart goes out to the devs. It is absolutely brutal on ones mental health.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thousands of documents from the gaming industry about crunch you say!? I am sure... Either way, sorry for providing some incite, you clearly know more than anyone else, based on your internet readings.

Enjoy the game!

You should really read this article instead of being so dismissive. This is just a recent example, but it doesn't take a lot of work to research and read about how horrible crunch is both physically and mentally, or how it is has been that way for a long time. Your tone aside, you should genuinely learn how to express empathy and understanding as opposed to either A) assuming your experience is the only experience, and B) dismissing the real dangers of employees working under terrible conditions for the sake of making money for their bosses.

The game looks great, and I'm sure it will be, but that will be all because of the devs who are working on it directly, not their managers.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Makes the E3 show look like a farce

I don't know, they may have actually thought they could hit the date back then.

But with software development these days with Rally or Azure DevOps or whatever planning too you use, it's obvious 6 months out that you aren't going to hit a target date. They must have known no later than October.

ridaxan

Oct 29, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I don't work in the gamedev industry, but I work in an unrelated dev industry. We have crunch about once every 3-4 months for a couple of weeks. So it's not something that's out of the ordinary for me. We don't get paid for overtime, but we get "time off in lieu of overtime". Some weeks we easily knock 60 hours (Mon-Fri) at the office, some weeks more.

This has been the case for the last 3 companies I've worked at.

The salaries we are paid is pretty good, comparatively, in my country. My wife and kid understands.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Just delay it to next gen. Oh well, need those double dip extra sales I guess. Sucks for the employees, definitely

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think you are greatly under appreciating what a good game director and management does for a game, or for any large project.

I understand their purpose and am not dismissing it. However, they ultimately have the power to decide if their team has crunch or not - CDPR has failed in this regard. Those who will be forced to crunch in order to release a commercial product by an arbitrary date are the ones who will make the game exist in the first place.

Also, the initial post was responding to a user who was completely dismissing crunch as a whole due to their personal anecdotal experience, and that was your takeaway? That I need to think of the managers too?

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Workers shouldn't have to suffer because management can't do their job. In game development it's a tale as old as time itself. Those with the least amount of responsibility receive the brunt of accountability.

If a game can't reach its deadline while the developer's are also experiencing crunch, then this is a failure of the team's leadership.

But of course, they'll be the ones who suffer the least.

It's a tale as old as time on any project. Project management isn't easy, especially on something this complex. A lot of things go wrong, and you can plan for some, but not everything. It seems like CDPR has tried to avoid "crunch" here, but eventually you run into the cold hard reality that they have to get it done, because they aren't a very big company, and they have bills to pay.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
No, the suggestion is that if they kicked this further out, past the launch of the new consoles, there wouldn't be an opportunity to double dip because by then no one will be buying XBO/PS4 versions of the game.

Or you know, they want game to done and out as soon as it's realistically possible?

Running company like CDPR isn't cheap so "just delay it few more months, into November" comes with price tag in MILLIONS just for labor costs.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's a tale as old as time on any project. Project management isn't easy, especially on something this complex. A lot of things go wrong, and you can plan for some, but not everything. It seems like CDPR has tried to avoid "crunch" here, but eventually you run into the cold hard reality that they have to get it done, because they aren't a very big company, and they have bills to pay.

Money isn't going to suddenly dry up unless there is something wrong with the development. Especially when their biggest game is seeing a huge resurgence of sales. Avoiding crunch doesn't seem likely since they already were crunching.

It's also often counterintuitive to getting the game out because you're exhausting your workers to the point where the work they are doing probably isn't productive when they're working 60-80 hours per week.

You're trying to fix a problem by creating a problem.

Last edited:

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Or you know, they want game to done and out as soon as it's realistically possible?

Running company like CDPR isn't cheap so "just delay it few more months, into November" comes with price tag in MILLIONS just for labor costs.

It seems local laws require OT be paid in this case so the labor costs might be a wash. Whatever other cost they may incur from delaying distribution further if any might be worse though.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
This is unfortunate, I was thinking that the delay would be okay for the devs too but guess not

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is one of the problems with announcing game dates so far out from release.

CDPR do not need to subscribe to any hype/marketing cycle. They could just say "when it's ready" forever and then say "It;s gone gold!" and the same people would buy it.

At this point delaying from September to October would not hurt sales. Even November, with a new gen console launch, they'd still get the same sales. They are that big.

In fact, responding to crunch based concerns by announcing another month on top of this delay would actually be good marketing.
Yup, don't set abitrary dates. Even if you announce it will launch in a specific quarter it gives them some leeway at least.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
This is unfortunate, I was thinking that the delay would be okay for the devs too but guess not

Whatever needs done with whatever crunch is needed between now and when the product is finalized for Sept would be several orders of magnitude worse had the date been kept so while not ideal it is still "better."

Yup, don't set abitrary dates. Even if you announce it will launch in a specific quarter it gives them some leeway at least.

At some point someone needs to get the games where they need to be when they need to be there. I'm not sure fuzzy windows work well with physical or digital distributors.