• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
wouldn't you want the developers to have a GOOD experience (a FOND experience) of this game they helped to create?

That's what worries me most of all... This experience should be a period of creative joy, which crunch destroys. ;(

I wish everyone good mental health, and hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds. <3

Oct 27, 2017
Crunch is usually forced and often overtime pay does not line up with the normal pay.
It is a huge problem and people like you are the reason the industry doesn't take it seriously.
"People like you?" Oh, Come on. They don't need our permission. Being indifferent to crunch isn't the same as forcing people to crunch. We don't have any authority here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Trash stay trash. Just a version of the thing they're trying to critique in the game. Profit at the expense of people.

From keeping trans people under their bootheel throughout to this. Truly a company deserving of the gamers crowd it fosters.

Last edited:

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
CDPR laugh in people's faces when they got mad at them for crunch last time and then claimed they were gonna be using "voluntary crunch" this time. Let's be honest, nobody had any reason to believe them and "voluntary crunch" was code for we're gonna do it anyway. They likely already were crunching and thats what led to the delay in the first place.
"People like you?" Oh, Come on. They don't need our permission. Being indifferent to crunch isn't the same as forcing people to crunch. We don't have any authority here.
I mean there is this concept of not giving them money and publicly decrying the practice until they stop?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Props for saying it outright instead of dancing around it.

I imagine they cannot delay it any longer. They need to get all of the current gen moolah and next-gen double dippers.

It's doesn't seem as simple as "delaying it for another month". This is probably the longest period they could've possibly delay it for.

Either way, sucks for both gamers and devs.

Oct 27, 2017
CDPR laugh in people's faces when they got mad at them for crunch last time and then claimed they were gonna be using "voluntary crunch" this time. Let's be honest, nobody had any reason to believe them and "voluntary crunch" was code for we're gonna do it anyway. They likely already were crunching and thats what led to the delay in the first place.

I mean there is this concept of not giving them money and publicly decrying the practice until they stop?
Go for it. Nothing wrong with that.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised they weren't already crunching so I'm curious to know what their definition of actual crunch is.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I work as a developer in Sweden and get 200% pay plus an hour paid vacation for every overtime hour i put in. I don't know how it works in Poland but you people from the US might be mistaken for assuming they get nothing. Also "forced overtime" can have a lot of different meanings.

I'm not saying crunch isn't a big problem in the industry. But part of the problem is that so much development is done in countries where workers have no rights.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
How is pay at CDPR when comparing to Polish wages?

Comparing Polish wage they pay to e.g. wage one gets in US just isn't reasonable and doesn't really work like that.
They're a world renowned, globally successful multi-million dollar company. It's absolutely reasonable. They should be raising the bar not adhering to it.

Disgusting mentality that keeps cheap labour cheap.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It should be noted that crunch isn't out of the ordinary for the end of a games development. Problem is, this ain't the last ~3 months (which even then could be following previous crunch), it's fucking 8 months.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Delay the game to release with the PS5.

I think that delay would be very difficult for them to get done without, well, more crunch.

It would add 2 new platforms to already loaded and heavy development cycle. They would need start optimization process from scratch etc.

I'm not too surprised if this delay means that they ride basic BC for next-gen into 2021 and then release enhancement patch or new version for next-gen.

They're a world renowned, globally successful multi-million dollar company. It's absolutely reasonable. They should be raising the bar not adhering to it.

What are you on about?

I asked what kind wages they are paying relative to Polish wages, do you know? I don't. If you do, share that info with me then instead of jumping on my back with accusations of something I did not do nor intend to do.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
It sucks, but I understand why it happens

Developing an open world game ambitious such as this, you'll never have a finish line.

It's not like reaching a goal and saying "yup, we have completed it". There will always be bugs, glitches and etc., specially in what it seems to be the most complex open world game ever made.

Look no further than the Witcher 3 situation. It is a masterpiece, but at release, the game had MANY bugs.
Cdpr patched a lot of them, but even to this day, there are a lot of bugs, glitches and details that I bet that they would continue to patch it if they could.
And now take in consideration that W3 is way less ambitious than Cyberpunk.

Wasnt there a rumour about how they didnt even have animations for bikes yet? They will crunch, and they will still release a game with a lot of bugs, I bet.

Rockstar had 8 years and thousands of workers to develop RDR 2 and they still had crunch.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What are you on about?

I asked what kind wages they are paying relative to Polish wages, do you know? I don't. If you do, share that info with me then instead of jumping on my back with accusations of something I did not do nor intend to do.
It's not a hard train to follow:
Comparing Polish wage they pay to e.g. wage one gets in US just isn't reasonable and doesn't really work like that.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It's not a hard train to follow:

You are reaching.

By that logic most of Europeans no matter the country are getting shit wages because we at average get a lot lower median wage than Americans. Still our wages meet our standards of living and scales with job you have, some companies paying better than others for job X.

It's why I want to know what CDPR actually pays at average, not compare it to US because dafuk? and compare it to how it's at national level to Poland. You know, apple to apple.

Edit: People saying that wages in CDPR are shit tier, can I have receipts? is what I'm asking for here

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
It should be noted that crunch isn't out of the ordinary for the end of a games development. Problem is, this ain't the last ~3 months (which even then could be following previous crunch), it's fucking 8 months.
I mean the reason crunch is so ordinary in games development is because of regular mismanagement and an inability of those setting the deadlines to be realistic about this shit and that neither the management nor the majority of gamers seem to give any shit about their worker's physical and mental health. Its not okay even when its not for this long

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You are reaching.

By that logic most of Europeans no matter the country are getting shit wages because we at average get a lot lower median wage than Americans. Still our wages meet our standards of living and scales with job you have, some companies paying better than others for job X.

It's why I want to know what CDPR actually pays at average, not compare it to US because dafuk? and compare it to how it's at national level to Poland. You know, apple to apple.
It's not a reach or the same logic.

They're a large multi million dollar company that's world renown. They can afford to pay their staff competitive international rates above that of the cheaper labour of the country they're in. Suggesting they do so is not unreasonable.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
In Poland, you have to pay for every extra hour. It's mandated by law here. You can take bigger pay or get extra days off for each day you're working extra.
Only if you are actually employed by the company and you are not on B2B contract, which is quite popular here (tax loophole).

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should just delay it more than 5 months if that's the case.

Gaming industry seriously need to move beyond these extended crunch periods. Doesn't do a single good thing in the long run. Just gonna help make the industry more unsustainable

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Delay AND crunch for a game in development for, what.. 7 years? What the fuck.

Oct 26, 2017
Here's your daily reminder about CD Prjekt RED paying their devs terribly low wages compared to the rest of the industry btw.

That's not how things work lol

Do you think EA Romania devs are paid like DICE LA devs? They are not, because the avg wage in both countries is different and there's no such thing as "average WW wage in game development".

Poland, Romania, Eastern Europe wages are way, way lower than Europe and NA average wavers and you can't expect the likes of publishers operating in these regions to match the wages because reasons.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
They've claimed in interviews that they began full-scale preproduction once they concluded work on Blood and Wine, so it's closer to four years at this point. But still not quite seven.
Word, ways off 7. That's pretty nuts if it's closer to 4 though. For something ambitious and from what's been shown that's shorter than I'd have expected.

Wonder what the intensity of production has been like across that period to now.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I work as a developer in Sweden and get 200% pay plus an hour paid vacation for every overtime hour i put in. I don't know how it works in Poland but you people from the US might be mistaken for assuming they get nothing. Also "forced overtime" can have a lot of different meanings.

I'm not saying crunch isn't a big problem in the industry. But part of the problem is that so much development is done in countries where workers have no rights.
Im a Swede working in Poland and I can confirm that it works similar here (200% overtime pay or compensated with vacation hours).

Honestly for the cost of living in Poland, developers have extremely good salaries.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
6f127d87-de6f-4b6e-a66a-c37df7831e69.png

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, reading the article, it's interesting to note that "extra long hours" is not CDPR's word on this, it seems to be gamespot's own editorialization of this exchange:

Bank Representative: And is the development team required to put in crunch hours?

Adam Kiciński : To some degree, yes –to be honest. We try to limit crunch as much as possible, but it is the final stage. We try to be reasonable in this regard, but yes. Unfortunately.

"Extra long hours" seems like a reasonable suspicion, but a mischaracterization of their own statement.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
A project being in the final stage is not an excuse to ask people to crunch.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
How is pay at CDPR when comparing to Polish wages?

As far as I'm aware wages at CD Projekt are much above average in Poland. I don't have any details and numbers, though. Only from what I've known from friends who worked there or went for a job interview.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017

Interesting, I've never worked for a game dev in Sweden where you actually get paid for working overtime, you usually get compensated with time (ie more days off).