• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wAvzouU.png

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying they should cancel the current gen versions for well over a year. This is essentially a next gen game when fidelity, detail, scale, and freedom are all considered together.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is just speculation, but generally something this late isn't just "Oh, we need to fix more bugs" If I had to venture to guess, there is some underlying issue that was discovered in the engine that requires a major change in the way something functions that isn't a simple fix and will require both complete retesting of everything once it is fixed and possibly another certification pass.

The only other thing I could think of is that they may have failed certification on the OG Xbox One and/or PS4.

Again, all speculation based on my experience, but this isn't a ripcord you pull for bugs that could be triaged and fixed in patches.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They're really struggling to get this running smoothly on current-gen aren't they?

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
WTF? I was about to take November 19th off. 20 more days isn't that bad though. Seemed like November was a lock.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Delaying a game that has gone gold tells me this game is coming in even hotter than we imagined. Have to wonder what mess the unpatched version will be.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Seeing them meme this up on Twitter is trash honestly. Especially when that's where their staff often get this news. Complete clowns.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I guess people who were forced to works saturday to avoid a delay are very happy with this news (that they probably learn with this tweet)...

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
Probably runs like shit on current gen consoles which is why they haven't shown a single bit of footage yet on consoles.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Man I feel sorry for everyone working on this. I imagine the crunch must already be excruciating but now it's gonna be even more of a nightmare.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm having a hard time understanding this as well. I thought they started printing the disks when going gold.
Gold means they've finished development of the game. Their gold probably doesn't include console submission testing, which probably failed for something that'll take a lot of work, which is why the delay is happening.

I was hoping when I saw the tweet retweeted that they were addressing the transphobia in the game, but still nothing on that front.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, not too big of a delay.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
This is just speculation, but generally something this late isn't just "Oh, we need to fix more bugs" If I had to venture to guess, there is some underlying issue that was discovered in the engine that requires a major change in the way something functions that isn't a simple fix and will require both complete retesting of everything once it is fixed and possibly another certification pass.

The only other thing I could think of is that they may have failed certification on the OG Xbox One and/or PS4.

Again, all speculation based on my experience, but this isn't a ripcord you pull for bugs that could be triaged and fixed in patches.
They allegedly did fail it on Xbox One as far back as March, so could probably be issues stemming from that.
I've been saying they should cancel the current gen versions for well over a year. This is essentially a next gen game when fidelity, detail, scale, and freedom are all considered together.
They can't due to shareholders and investors.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
It did go gold. They weren't lying about that. You can still work on a game after gold via patches. A delay after gold is unusual though, for sure.

Thing is, a game going Gold means it's ready for print and a printed game should be in a playable state right away. I understand there's polish going on after a game going gold (day one patches and all that)... but after a game goes gold it's ready, there's no way around it. This is a really weird situation.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
Woah, I remember with the delay to November that a decent number of people thought it could slip again. I guess this rules it out of GOTY conversations for this year in this case.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I am aware; This just makes me wonder if there are larger production chain issues as well given that day-zero and day-one patch delays haven't necessarily stopped releases in the past, it brings into question how well managed the project is on all fronts and not just in development.

Not on the same scale as big games, but we release on ios/android and smart TV platforms. If there is a strongly required go live date (eg tied to marketing) the certification can be an important critical path to deal with. So you may choose to go to cert with a version that you know isn't ideal or that will need patching, but because you know cert can take a couple weeks and need to account for perhaps 2-3 passes (worst case hopefully) you go early knowing you'll fix the snag list later

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
No GotY awards for you CDPR. Lmao.

Feel really bad for the devs tbh.

Why couldn't they just delay the next gen patches? It must've been playing really badly on some consoles. Oof.