• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Not surprising. Yeah he's worked on the game for six years, but he probably was burnt out and found an ideal time to leave the project without leaving anyone hanging (or at least I would hope). Plus California weather and Blizzard level pay is a lot nicer.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe his work is done on the game and he moved away?
But if you take other reports on the game together with this it does paint the picture that we're getting close to the end. Not too long ago it was reported that it's playable from start to finish. Now what state that means the game is in, we don't know for sure. Everything could still be grey blocked atm, but the foundations are there now at the very least.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Afraid ? No! But Diablo is (was) a dark fantasy game, it's not Kingdom of Amalur. Too much vivid colors are denaturing the original theme (imo).
The game progressed form a decent into a cathedral. D2 was full of color. I didn't think the color in D3 took away from the theme of Diablo in any form.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
the dude responsible for the cyberpunk gameplay and shooting also recently went back to remedy. i hope everything is alright with cyberpunk, the combat didn't look like it was perfect yet.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that you're not using his name. Unless his name is Creative Director?

This isn't something out of the ordinary. People sometimes fancy a change of scenery. Doesn't mean anything in regards to Cyberpunk 2077. It'll release "when it's done" and will probably be GOTY.

I hope.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Didn't we do this with Witcher 3? I remember there were alot of the same talk about it, people leaving and the rumor of the game being a mess and all that. Until it releases or people get hand on with it I wouldn't worry.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Didn't we do this with Witcher 3? I remember there were alot of the same talk about it, people leaving and the rumor of the game being a mess and all that. Until it releases or people get hand on with it I wouldn't worry.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-13-departed-witcher-3-devs-there-is-no-bad-blood
Two key members of The Witcher 3 team officially departed CD Projekt Red last week: lead gameplay designer Maciej Szcześnik and gameplay producer Marek Ziemak.

They left for another developer in Warsaw, Poland, called 11 bit studios, known best for Anomaly: Warzone Earth. Their given reason for leaving was to make smaller, more creative games.

But it didn't take long for concern to creep in. Losing a lead gameplay designer months from release - was Witcher 3 development OK? Were there deeper rifts within the team? Why didn't CD Projekt Red say anything?

That's why I phoned Maciej Szcześnik and Marek Ziemak this morning for a chat.

"We did everything to make sure nothing bad happens," Szcześnik assured me of the transition, "there is no bad blood. Other people took our responsibilities and it was quite smooth."

"It wasn't a surprise for the company," Ziemak added, telling me there had been at least a couple of weeks of slowly backing out of the door. Szcześnik nodded. "It wasn't like ... we were gone the next day," he said.

Also, the pair reminded me, The Witcher 3 is made by many. The gameplay isn't just Szcześnik's work, however senior his role. "We were designing this game together," he stressed. And, as Ziemak pointed out: "Most of the stuff is done."

Also cool to see in hindsight, how the studio they moved to made the third best game of last year. Frostpunk. This War of Mine was also really good.

Last edited:

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
Gee, I can't imagine why a guy who has lead skills, who is earning a Polish wage would want to move to California.

No reason
$$$$$$$$$$
what so ever. Also those CDPR working conditions. Sounds like fun.

Same thing happened with Witcher 3. The game was a mess, it just didn't ship like one due to absolute miracles, aka insane crunch. Although if you consider that they had to delay the game twice at the last moment, and cut a major promised plot thread because they were behind schedule... and also downgrade it, the game's development was a mess.

Last edited:

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
NwZUN1y.gif

YOU MADE MY LAUGH SO BAD, THANK YOU <3

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
"Just".... ? In a narrative, story driven game ?
What? It was a genuine question not trying to belittle. I meant as in his work may be done...
Roles are different from studio to studio but from my understanding Creative Directors have their hands in a lot of pies, from writing to art to tone/mood of the game.
Either way there are so many variables at work here that this isn't indicative of much of anything.
But I'm personally hoping this means the game is in it's last leg of development, where most things are set in stone and now just comes polishing and bug fixing. Crossing my fingers for holiday season 2019 or early 2020.
Thank you. I wasn't clear because the main narrative people tend to have different titles from studio to studio.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard probably pays 3x as much or similar.

What his experience brings to Blizzard though I have no idea. They don't make narrative focused games which he has worked on thus far.

I hope this means we're actually going to get another narrative-focused game out of them rather than yet another no-campaign eSports game. Probably shouldn't get my hopes up, though.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I remember a tweet from AskAGameDev that said they looked through the credits and 80% of the game devs fro WItcher 2 had left by the Witcher 3 coming out. CDPR is a crunch studio and this is the price of that, they have a high turnover. How will they make up for the loss of experience and talent? They'll do even more crunch, whether that will work for them is another thing entirely, at some point you could see them at a point where crunch won't make up for it. Might be this game or the next one or the next one after that. The thing is, I don't know how anyone can see this news as "good" when it likely means they are crunching so much alot of people are leaving and even more crunch will probably have to happen to make up for it. That can really only be seen as bad, regardless of the eventual quality of the game.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Blizzard is in dire need of a team that isn't about E-sports so this is great news. I hope so atleast. Unfortunately this position could probably cover their mobile gaming push with Netease so who knows? I'm really jaded when it comes to Blizzard lately with Morhaime gone and cost cutting is a major thing there atm.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this forums infatuation with doom and gloom is depressing and pathetic.

Anyways, I'm sure most of his work is done and this will be a nice big change.

Or maybe it's just a lot more money...

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this forums infatuation with doom and gloom is depressing and pathetic.

Anyways, I'm sure most of his work is done and this will be a nice big change.

Or maybe it's just a lot more money...

I don't know how this project is structured, or how many CDs they have on 2077, but it's not normal for a Creative Director to leave in the middle of the project. They are the guardians of aesthetic and tone for the project. They don't just create a thematic starting point or visual look and then peace out. They are there to the finish line making sure everything maintains a consistent tone and look. Maybe this person is just one of several CDs on the project, it could be business as usual there. But it's out of the norm in my experience.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Game was playable from start to finish when they did the gameplay reveal. Most likely done with what ever he was working on for the game by now.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how this project is structured, or how many CDs they have on 2077, but it's not normal for a Creative Director to leave in the middle of the project. They are the guardians of aesthetic and tone for the project. They don't just create a thematic starting point or visual look and then peace out. They are there to the finish line making sure everything maintains a consistent tone and look. Maybe this person is just one of several CDs on the project, it could be business as usual there. But it's out of the norm in my experience.
Trust me, the game will be fine......

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Trust me, the game will be fine......

Well, I don't need to trust you because I'm not especially worried about it. This is an industry news forum and this is news that's out of the ordinary, that's all.

Given what we've heard over the years of how CDPR working conditions can be, I wouldn't be surprised this CD just burnt out there and wanted something a bit more relaxed. Sunny California and a nice Blizzard salary would certainly appeal in that case.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I don't need to trust you because I'm not especially worried about it. This is an industry news forum and this is news that's out of the ordinary, that's all.

Given what we've heard over the years of how CDPR working conditions can be, I wouldn't be surprised this CD just burnt out there and wanted something a bit more relaxed. Sunny California and a nice Blizzard salary would certainly appeal in that case.
This isn't extraordinary tho. It happens often enough.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't bode well for this game. I'm extremely worried. They might have gotten too ambitious after the masterpiece that was Witcher 3.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
My hope for an open world StarCraft co-op loot hunting game is alive and well

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
People in higher positions often leave a project when their higher level work are done, the rest is just implementation and polish, nothing to worry about here.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see a problem with that. People come and go all the time. And besides, given all the rumors and stuff we've seen of the game, it's pretty safe to assume that most of what needed a creative director to creatively direct is documented and at least partially developped. So no big deal. Someone else can safely takeover his tasks at this point i'd wager.

It's like seing a writer leave a team a few months before release. If there's nothing more to write other than possible DLCs, why should they stay ?