• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Now as with all the "PS1 versions" popping up lately [Death Stranding just a few weeks ago, for example] I think we all know this is probably beyond what the PS1 is capable of, but still. Pretty damn cool work nontheless.

Especially cool once you realise how it's made:
PS4's Dreams

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really cool. It even emulates the low 20-25-ish framerate - is that intentional? Or does dreams just run as bad?

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Really cool. It even emulates the low 20-25-ish framerate - is that intentional? Or does dreams just run as bad?

It all depends on how much stuff you put into your scene. Since they even simulated a very limited draw distance here, I'd guess it's at least a welcome side-effect of using lots of logic and effects to get the look right.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I remember back in my Amiga days reading about a game called Cyberspace that was being developed. It seemed like an early precursor to Cyberpunk. Looking back I think the devs were probably being woefully optimistic with what they could achieve but it was an exciting prospect at the time. Don't think there was anything beyond a few screenshots released and I could only find those in a YouTube video.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017

Now as with all the "PS1 versions" popping up lately [Death Stranding just a few weeks ago, for example] I think we all know this is probably beyond what the PS1 is capable of, but still. Pretty damn cool work nontheless.

Especially cool once you realise how it's made:
PS4's Dreams

As a PS1 imitation the lighting effects, smooth textures, lack of jaggies, and lack of warping kills it. As a standalone not imitating anything it's great.
You're right, the real impressive part is what was used to make it.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Same guy who made the MGS remake in Dreams - actually a guy I knew a while a go and it's still weird to see him popping up like this.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Really impressive, considering the tools used to make it.

Was the Death Stranding demake anything but a proof of concept? It looked phenomenal.