• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they hit the classic cyberpunk aesthetic ridiculously hard to the point of being retro-future. i'm surprised that's your complaint.

In that trailer? No they didn't. And you really cannot help but complain with that dialogue and that song. Music is as important as visuals when it comes to these things, and wow was that a total disaster. If you had your eyes closed you'd just think it was a trailer for generic dudebro action game #5893928.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I'm talking about your completely out of the blue non-sequitur about "Deus Ex isn't cyberpunk" that seems to be talking about exactly no one at all. Anyway, consider this the end of the exchange because this is a waste of time.
I love how you keep trying to cover your ass by constantly bringing it back to my Deus Ex comparison, because you've completely failed to justify in any way how this is a "betrayal" of cyberpunk. You've utterly failed to say how this doesn't look like a cyberpunk game or to even explain your opinion at all. Yeah let's end it here, this is a waste of time.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Uhh yeah I can't like the tone of the trailer isn't what I expected at all from a Cyberpunk thing lol.

Definitely get the GTA comparisons. Not that I dislike the idea of a GTA type game in a cyberpunk city, but it just isn't what I expected from this.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
Edgelord : The Game
Seriously, the game looks mostly great but I really hope the tone/writing is not always like in this trailer.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
It looks fucking amazing, but the fucking writing isn't quite as fucking good, it's pretty fucking heavy-handed, fuck, and I don't love the fucking character design, but it looks fucking amazing, I'm sure it's really fucking fun, fuck, fuck

fuck
l-55278-fuck-geralt-of-rivia.jpg

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hahah, yeah, didn't like that either, but, maybe that's from the source material? I honestly don't know.

That's just the Polish way of writing 'crime' stories. Wish they hired a Hollywood editor who would de-fuck the script, a'la https://books.google.pl/books?id=M77RDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA532&lpg=PA532&dq=de-fuck+the+script&source=bl&ots=zKyR1DVMEH&sig=ACfU3U1tFEGRPOGBLs2bMv9o9sKzZqYkUA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5jOe2up3qAhWEl4sKHXxLBPsQ6AEwAHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=de-fuck the script&f=false

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
There's more to Cyberpunk than Deus Ex. Hell Deus Ex isn't cyberpunk at all given that you play as a supercop with both JC and Adam, there's nothing "punk" about that. And given that Mike Pondsmith has been very hands on with making this game, I'm not sure what it is that constitutes a "betrayal".
???

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I think they're just going after that GTA big money crowd which is smart from a business perspective, but that's definitely not what I wanted. I was hoping for more Blade Runner seriousness and less of that GTA 'satire'.

Yes exactly! Thats what I thought the game was going to be like so this whole tone they are going for isn't really doing anything for me.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well this is the first time I've payed a bit more attention to Cyberpunk since we're closer to release, and yeah I'm in agreement with the sentiment that it feels way too GTA-ey and even Hollywood. Was definitely expecting something more gritty and some kind of synthwave soundtrack.

Still, that's not to say the game won't be good, I just had a different picture in my head.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What i gather from this thread is that what people actually want is a Blade Runner game.

Oct 29, 2017
Imo the music isn't really unexpected from the setting.

This is more in line with the aesthetics of Transmetropolitan and Snow Crash than Blade Runner, Neuromancer, or Ghost in the Shell.

I would say that if you made an adaptation of Transmetropolitan that last thing you want to do is use synthesizers and choirs chanting in foreign languages in the score. It should be trashy rock.

Jan 4, 2018
Looks absolutely incredible.

Don't understand why drug dealers, weapon smugglers, and shady business people were so vulgar, though. Have a little class, street criminals!

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Can't blame them for trying to market it as a futuristic GTA. The money invested into this game must be insane and getting some of that GTA crowd would bring in a lot of $. RPG fans are already on board.

I don't blame them, in fact I suspect the game isn't gonna be like that. I just did not vibe with that trailer. It is what it is.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
It looks great, but I think the trailer had too many jump cuts. I was having a hard time understanding what was happening.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Such language! :P I'm just poking fun. I personally don't even really notice the swearing so I was surprised so many people were commenting on it. To me it's a word like any other and I hear it often in day to day life.

Me too StudioTan, me too. I even like using it in my own writing. But the point is, is that it's not about using Fuck, but HOW it's used, and how often. Usually, frequent swearing can seem forced and edgelordy, and given the production company's pedigree (Witcher 3 had excellent writing), most people probably expected something more subtle or nuanced.

Anyway, it's just the trailer -- no clue how the writing comes across in the full thing.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Me too StudioTan, me too. I even like using it in my own writing. But the point is, is that it's not about using Fuck, but HOW it's used, and how often. Usually, frequent swearing can seem forced and edgelordy, and given the production company's pedigree (Witcher 3 had excellent writing), most people probably expected something more subtle or nuanced.

Anyway, it's just the trailer -- no clue how the writing comes across in the full thing.
I just rewatched it, I honestly didn't see any time it was used gratuitously within the shot and it wasn't even said once until the middle of the trailer. I just think it happens to be the fact that it was used a few times in successive shots at the end but overall it's not like they were swearing when delivering the normal dialogue. When someone says "we're so fucked!" that's a perfectly natural use of the word.

The only time excessive swearing bothers me is when someone uses fucking as a filler word. "So, fucking, I went to the store and, fucking, the dude behind the counter was fucking like giving me grief about paying with my fucking card". THAT can get annoying but it would be equally annoying if they replacing "fucking" with "like" as well

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This looks more like futuristic GTA than it does open world Blade Runner. It looks amazing and im fine with the former, but id rather have the latter

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I would separate the marketing of this game from what the game actually is. A lot of the previews mention that this is 100% an RPG first and foremost, which exists in an intricate, breathing world. However I can imagine that from a marketing perspective, targeting the GTA crowd makes a lot of business sense since GTA is one of the highest selling games in the industry.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I would separate the marketing of this game from what the game actually is. A lot of the previews mention that this is 100% an RPG first and foremost, which exists in an intricate, breathing world. However I can imagine that from a marketing perspective, targeting the GTA crowd makes a lot of business sense since GTA is one of the highest selling games in the industry.
This is true. Traditionally Cyberpunk hasnt exactly been a hot seller too, so the marketinf being more GTA-like makes sense.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
So this is how the PC version will look like? Amazing! Gonna wait for the new Nvidia GPUs or the next gen upgrade.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
People here only knowing cyberpunk from Bladerunner is hilarious to me.

The game is based off Pondsmith's property and done with his blessing, it perfectly fits HIS cyberpunk which the game is based on.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not feeling this. It's futuristic but it feels like Reboot Ghost in the Shell cyberpunk and not 80s vision of cyberpunk. Needs more analogue feel.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I have to remember to stay away from Era when a highly anticipated game gets anything new lol

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
I think it's really unlikely that this is more like GTA than it is Deus Ex or something like that. That said, I think this looks great. And I'm hopeful that the car physics will be done well. Driving around in open world games can be great.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The dialogue is spotty, but the world looks stunning. Can't wait to explore.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The game is based off Pondsmith's property and done with his blessing, it perfectly fits HIS cyberpunk which the game is based on.

He openly praises CDPR for realizing his world into the game, saying it's near perfect adaptation of it. What he has dreamed about.

Yet ERA seems to know better what that realization should be than creator of IP.

Edit: Also is it really that surprising that they would make more boombastic trailer for mass marketing instead of bogging it down with long dialogue sequences etc.?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
He openly praises CDPR for realizing his world into the game, saying it's near perfect adaptation of it. What he has dreamed about.

Yet ERA seems to know better what that realization should be than creator of IP.
Yes this is why I posted this brudda. Like it's one thing to not like the setting or tone, but it's in line with Pondsmith's world.