• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised this thread hasn't been made yet, but just rewatching the latest Cyberpunk trailer and I'm flabbergasted and shocked at how poor the writing, tone, voice acting and direction of this game is.

Lines transcribed from the trailer:

"Ready to get your cherry popped? Yeah Come on!

But if you got the cojones and you know how to use em, you can do damn near anything

Thought you could blackmail me fucker?!

Ka-Ching baby!

Eat lead assholes!

Fuck major leagues!!! Happy now Jackie?

Yep, that's fuckin high!

Fuck!"

And I even missed a few curse lines as well, just decided to take the most egregiously stupid ones in A TWO MINUTE VIDEO.

Any expectation of this game that I had delivering a smart or reasonable commentary on transhumanisim and multi conglomerate capitalistic society has gone out the window.

If this is how CDProjektRed decides to represent their game, I don't know really what to say, because The Witcher 3 certainly wasn't this poor when it came to "tryhardnes" and dudebro factor.

The 25 minute gameplay chunk shown continues down a similar path of mindset for the way the characters interact and talk in the world. Maybe I had the wrong expectations, but I am nonetheless disappointed.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it's that big of a deal. In a world where you can kill anyone, why are a few curse words suddenly deemed the main concern?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone in this game is some kind of delinquent. "Eat lead" is lame and funny but hearing these kind of characters cursing doesn't surprise me at all. I don't see the big deal.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Wait cursing = bad writing and acting?
Damn haven't heard this since is there was people considering rap bad because of swearing, when you can pick one Eminem song to give English lessons to a lot of folks.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Coming from something like TLOU2, this is almost laughably adolescent in tone and language.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, absolutely terrible writing and dialogue. I've never cringed so hard. What a pity, because the world looks beautiful. But it will probably appeal to fifteen-year-olds.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's really not. The trailer takes place in the prologue. Jackie and V are doing the first job that will propel them to the big leagues. They are rookies: naive and cocky with the world laying at their feet. The dudebro dynamic fits very well with where we are in the story.

Katonix

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I dont know what are you guys talking about? To me its fine. Its not the best but its not bad

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone in this game is some kind of delinquent. "Eat lead" is lame and funny but hearing these kind of characters cursing doesn't surprise me at all. I don't see the big deal.
This is what I figure. It doesn't feel out of place & seems in-character for the setting & characters themselves.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
? cyberpunk (the source material of the board game) has always had this. and in some works of the genre as well.

it's aesthetics draw heavily from punk culture.

and especially the board game is even more hyper focused on this

Last edited:

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I said this in the controversial opinions thread. I'm looking forward to the game but it's dialogue is really off putting.

It's total horny edgy teenager dialogue.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Eh, we've seen this before. Trailers usually use throwaway lines like this and it's not always indicative of the final product at all. Considering their previous work I have faith.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer is clearly going for a GTA vibe, but IMO it's also pretty obvious this is all from the prologue heist-esque mission where it's all happy go lucky bravado until everything blows up in your face.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
it didnt occur me until the 25 min uncut b-roll footage; the dialogue seems really shaky in some scenes.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Meh, whatever. I can't expect every game to be Disco Elysium, or even TLOU2.
I have a ton of other concerns about CP2077, inane writing is way down on the list at this point.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
After playing the game for 4 hours I can safely say the writing is great.

But I agree that what they're putting in trailers makes the game sound more "cool" in a bad way, like some kind of GTA .

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
eh, not every game needs to be super serious. i forget the demographic here is older tho and tends to dislike edgyness

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
I mean GTA 5 also sounds like this selectively cut together in trailers, but the game has a great sarcastic take on society.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That trailer is indeed bad, but then again what were you expecting? It's a 2min trailer they are not gonna have a 2min long dialog about the awfulness of capitalism in it, it's meant to capture the mainstream.

Oct 31, 2017
Is this why people have been ragging on the dialogue? The cursing?

the other lines seem purposely cheesy

I'd have to hear more to judge

but cursing doesn't equal bad dialogue.

If anything I'd say people who view cursing as immature need to get over themselves immediately

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
its try hard edgy stuff but it fits the characters and tone portrayed in the marketing , so its not an issue

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
User warned: Drive-by thread whining
We've barely seen anything from this probably 80 hour game. What's up with era today? Is this shit on Cyberpunk day?

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
After playing the game for 4 hours I can safely say the writing is great.

But I agree that what they're putting in trailers makes the game sound more "cool" in a bad way, like some kind of GTA .
Great to hear! Also Alanah Pearce said she loved the characters and dialogue and that she was initially put off by the earlier trailers. I guess context matters a lot. I don't think ripping some lines from a 100 hour game and saying that the dialogue is embarrassing leads to a fruitful discussion.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's juvenile and not up to the standard that CD Project Red is known for.

I'm hoping the other characters are not as lame

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
OP, have you read any of the popular cyberpunk novels? If so, how do people talk in them?

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i really hope that this isn't another GTA transplanted into the future. it's not unreasonable to hope for better quality writing than the trash tier of GTA when discussing something interesting like the dystopia of future corps and transhumanism.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
It's clear they are going for the mainstream GTA style vibe, but in a cyberpunk setting. Cringy as it is, it's in the same style as GTAV and it will sell to the masses nearly as well.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Isn't this trailer supposed to be over-the-top and less grounded? That laugh the big dude is pulling off is pretty telling. Also don't see the problem with the swearing. It's... swearing.

I don't expect to them to insult each other in Shakespearean. "Away and eat thy lead, thou lily-liver'd boy!"

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It was a bit cringeworthy, and the tone of the game was completely different from what I was expecting.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I'm hoping it'll be like Deus Ex HR or MD mature, but I guess not :P
And no I'm not familiar with the world of Cyberpunk 2020, as with most of the people who played the Witcher series, this will probably be their first encounter with the Cyberpunk world.