• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That IGN review was pretty good. Put my money down, looking forward to playing this now. I always like 8-bit-styled games that still find something new to say.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Game itself sounds cool but why are there so many games using the NES era graphics?
Why not? It's a style that works well for 2D games made by a single person that started out chipping away at it in their spare time. The pixel art and gameplay look cool.

There's also far, far more indie games released that don't use NES-style pixel art, it's just that the good-looking ones with obvious influences from classic titles we are familiar with tend to catch the eye and generate more discussion than most of the couple-of-dozen indies that release each week. The publisher being Yacht Club gave this a deserved boost given their pedigree too.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Why not? It's a style that works well for 2D games made by a single person that started out chipping away at it in their spare time. The pixel art and gameplay look cool.

There's also far, far more indie games released that don't use NES-style pixel art, it's just that the good-looking ones with obvious influences from classic titles we are familiar with tend to catch the eye and generate more discussion than most of the couple-of-dozen indies that release each week. The publisher being Yacht Club gave this a deserved boost given their pedigree too.

Cause they're fucking rad?
Yes, some games it works quite well and if this means they can keep the prices down than I'm all for it. I'm just surprised it's still a thing after all these years and not just isolated on handhelds.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yes, some games it works quite well and if this means they can keep the prices down than I'm all for it. I'm just surprised it's still a thing after all these years.
Why? It's timeless. Generally the simpler a style is the more timeless it is, that's why no one is rushing to make N64-style graphics, decent pixel art has a quality all of its own even 30+ years later while comparatively early 3D stuff looks terrible next to modern 3D games. I'd love to see more 16-bit style stuff though.

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, some games it works quite well and if this means they can keep the prices down than I'm all for it. I'm just surprised it's still a thing after all these years and not just isolated on handhelds.
Weird thing to say. They wouldn't look out of place on a handheld but they do on consoles/PC? As if modern handhelds aren't capable of so much more just like consoles and PC?

Apr 19, 2018
YES! I was praying daily at the tail end of last year that the game would still hit 2020, but this is the next best thing.

I've been waiting for a "gamer's game" for a long time -- something with a tough challenge accompanied by immaculate old-school gameplay -- and this looks like it's going to scratch that itch wonderfully.

Really looking forward to the soundtrack too. It's being headlined by Enrique Martin, but also apparently co-composed in some manner by Jake Kaufman? Can anyone confirm?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Why? It's timeless. Generally the simpler a style is the more timeless it is, that's why no one is rushing to make N64-style graphics, decent pixel art has a quality all of its own even 30+ years later while comparatively early 3D stuff looks terrible next to modern 3D games. I'd love to see more 16-bit style stuff though.
Weird thing to say. They wouldn't look out of place on a handheld but they do on consoles/PC? As if modern handhelds aren't capable of so much more just like consoles and PC?
When you play on a big screen those pixels can at times become so large it's hard to make out what it is you're looking at. It's like blowing up a JPEG 400 x 400 onto a 60" screen.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
YES! I was praying daily at the tail end of last year that the game would still hit 2020, but this is the next best thing.

I've been waiting for a "gamer's game" for a long time -- something with a tough challenge accompanied by immaculate old-school gameplay -- and this looks like it's going to scratch that itch wonderfully.

Really looking forward to the soundtrack too. It's being headlined by Enrique Martin, but also apparently co-composed in some manner by Jake Kaufman? Can anyone confirm?
I'm not sure if Jake did any composition or not. When they announced his involvement, it was in a producer role. I guess it's possible he did compose a track or two in the end. But I know this is primarily by Enrique Martin.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Pre ordered on Switch and can't wait to play, loved the messenger and I have faith in YCG that they're publishing this because it's worthy.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
When you play on a big screen those pixels can at times become so large it's hard to make out what it is you're looking at. It's like blowing up a JPEG 400 x 400 onto a 60" screen.
Sorry but I can't agree with this at all. I don't know what game you played that turned into a pixelated mess on your TV lol

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

People actually believe this. Was this bad joke supposed to be accompanied by a trollface cringe pic?

Are you sure youre not using the zoom option on your tv for that fucked up image. jesus christ.

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
This will be the my first real test of the Series controller's dpad in a traditional game, aside from Tetris Effect. I'm pretty sure it'll be miles better than the Switch Pro for sidescrollers.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
People actually believe this. Was this bad joke supposed to be accompanied by a trollface cringe pic?

Are you sure youre not using the zoom option on your tv for that fucked up image. jesus christ.

yeah this has to be a troll. my analogue mega sg with all the settings finely tuned on a 55'' TV is so gorgeous it makes me want to cry

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Same here. It's a bit lower than I expected though tbh
Hmm, it's less accessible than Shovel Knight and that'll put some reviewers looking for a bit more of a helping hand off I suspect. Which is fair enough for the wider audience they are reviewing for, but stuff like this does pretty much do what it says on the tin, and by all accounts is still significantly easier than the games it's taking inspiration from. These days being able to rattle through to the ending in 6 hours or so of almost constantly new content because you have unlimited continues and can immediately restart at the same section is very different from having to replay the whole game every time to get a handful of cracks at the section that you're struggling with. Before getting past it and immediately having to do so again. These games always end up being much bigger than the NES titles because of that and with a range of ideas to match, but rarely get the credit for it.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Had no idea this game existed but i will buy tomorrow for X1 (don't have gamepass). Looks cool and i always like 2D games with ninjas xD.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
One review mentioned an included CRT filter with the game. Has anyone managed to find any screenshots or footage of what this looks like in the game? I really hope it's done well, because the game would look fantastic with a solid scanline filter.

Apr 19, 2018
Pre ordered on Switch and can't wait to play, loved the messenger and I have faith in YCG that they're publishing this because it's worthy.

Not to derail, but how was The Messenger? It looks like a pretty solid platformer..... up to a point. Most of the negatives I've heard about is at during the final half of the game, where lots of backtracking is introduced and becomes a slog.

One review mentioned an included CRT filter with the game. Has anyone managed to find any screenshots or footage of what this looks like in the game? I really hope it's done well, because the game would look fantastic with a solid scanline filter.

Gamingcapsule's review explicitly mentions the CRT filter, here at 7:53 into the video. He says it looks mostly good, but experienced some strange scanline artifacts:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Not to derail, but how was The Messenger? It looks like a pretty solid platformer..... up to a point. Most of the negatives I've heard about is at during the final half of the game, where lots of backtracking is introduced and becomes a slog.

I really enjoyed the game and think it's worth playing, I also enjoyed the back half of the game though I'll fully admit it's the weaker half of the game. I'd say the first half is a 9/10 second half a 7/10 averaging the game as a whole to an 8/10.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Gamingcapsule's review explicitly mentions the CRT filter, here at 7:53 into the video. He says it looks mostly good, but experienced some strange scanline artifacts:

Thanks. It does show some footage of the filter in that review. Looks like those artifacts with it enabled are a bug. Hopefully the final release Switch version won't have that issue, because otherwise the filter looks pretty decent.