• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
It is a very good one of those games.
Highlight for me so far (Up to Chapter 7) has been the bosses. Excellent design on those.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Does the player move faster later on? I'm still early in the game and I wish my character was a little faster.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Cool game, too easy for its own good. for retro/seasoned players, it doesn´t pose much of a challenge
you're pretty much the outlier with this statement if you look at this thread.

Does the player move faster later on? I'm still early in the game and I wish my character was a little faster.
you don't move faster, you get a dash in the latter half of the game.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Loving this game and bummed I seem to be nearing the end. Anyone else have any reccomendations on strong indie linear action platformers? I got both the 8 bit style bloodstained games on my list but this style of game has been extremely cathartic to play after difficult work days strangely enough.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Loving this game and bummed I seem to be nearing the end. Anyone else have any reccomendations on strong indie linear action platformers? I got both the 8 bit style bloodstained games on my list but this style of game has been extremely cathartic to play after difficult work days strangely enough.
I was just gonna say Circle of the Moon 1/2 until you said you had them! How about Shovel Knight? It's got 4 campaigns in it these days but the original (now called Shovel of Hope) featuring SK himself remains my favourite of the 8-bit homages. Most of my other recommendations are in the Metroid/Castlevania/Wonderboy style of dashing back and forth across the map.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
To my fellow ERA members of this thread:

6AB60050EA694B93C5E7CB5878A6392D03ED3445

:P

I am joking.

Kinda.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Oniken, Katana Zero, Cuphead, Blazing Chrome.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Can someone explain to me the nuances with the dash and jump in this game? I'm on Chapter 9 and still, after all this time, haven't figured out why my dash and double jump are so inconsistent. I'm at one part where I have to double jump off a wall. It's RNG whether the second jump happens. I'm wondering if it might be a controller responsiveness issue or if there's some tiny detail I'm missing.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I really like these kind of games, but I guess this one is "too old style" for me... I really dont like the fact that I cant crouch... also the hits of these little bugs make me 90% of the time fall and die in some 1-hit trap.
I loved The messenger, Katana Zero, Hollow Knight, etc... this one is not catching me. I killed 3 bosses for now, I will give it one more change I think, but not feeling it.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me the nuances with the dash and jump in this game? I'm on Chapter 9 and still, after all this time, haven't figured out why my dash and double jump are so inconsistent. I'm at one part where I have to double jump off a wall. It's RNG whether the second jump happens. I'm wondering if it might be a controller responsiveness issue or if there's some tiny detail I'm missing.
When you jump off of the wall make sure you hit jump before you hit the directional button away from the wall. If Shadow comes off the wall slightly before you press jump you won't get your second jump. I learned this the hard way after awhile, haha.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
When you jump off of the wall make sure you hit jump before you hit the directional button away from the wall. If Shadow comes off the wall slightly before you press jump you won't get your second jump. I learned this the hard way after awhile, haha.

Great freaking tip! Thank you so much! This may delay my carpeltunel onset slightly. Lol

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I like a good challenge. I do find some things out of balance though. Some of the moves you're trying to make are not intuitive. It asks you to be precise in your actions when the game isn't super precise itself. Something about having to repeatedly double tap forward on the D pad is just not fun IMO. Wish dash was mapped to a button. Once they give you the move, you're required to dash often.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I like a good challenge. I do find some things out of balance though. Some of the moves you're trying to make are not intuitive. It asks you to be precise in your actions when the game isn't super precise itself. Something about having to repeatedly double tap forward on the D pad is just not fun IMO. Wish dash was mapped to a button. Once they give you the move, you're required to dash often.

Press R

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I really like these kind of games, but I guess this one is "too old style" for me... I really dont like the fact that I cant crouch... also the hits of these little bugs make me 90% of the time fall and die in some 1-hit trap.
I loved The messenger, Katana Zero, Hollow Knight, etc... this one is not catching me. I killed 3 bosses for now, I will give it one more change I think, but not feeling it.

This is me, the little moths were so shitty and not fun. I beat the 2nd boss and haven't felt compelled to go back. The character is so bland to control compared to something like The Messenger.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
You can assign the dash to other button. It was on LT on my controller. Take a look at the settings.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Personally I do not find this game any harder than old school NES games.
I haven´t played those so I can´t comment on that.

My little joke was directed to those complaining in this thread. I don´t think the game is unfair, has imprecise controls or anything like that. It is hard, yes, but it is not impossible. At the end of the day, it depends on your tolerance for frustration, and this seems to be in an all-time low in the present.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
nobody said it#s harder. that's kinda the point many are making, it's too much reliant on now often un-fun trappings of those exact NES games.
Those games were also tuned so parents didn't get complaints from their kids that they've beaten the game in one weekend. 50 bucks in the 80s was a lot of money.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
For anyone trying to go for achievements, you can redo the bug elevator at least. It's super painful to try the first time.
I got that one last night on replay. Pain in the ass. I barely made it.

The achievements in general are pretty damn tricky sometimes. I have no idea how to do the tank boss without destroying any of the turrets. Like, the boss is pathetic if you just beat it the normal way, but that cheevo is a bitch and a half.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I haven´t played those so I can´t comment on that.

My little joke was directed to those complaining in this thread. I don´t think the game is unfair, has imprecise controls or anything like that. It is hard, yes, but it is not impossible. At the end of the day, it depends on your tolerance for frustration, and this seems to be in an all-time low in the present.
Well what makes it a bit easier then those old games is the checkpoint system. In particular hidden checkpoints where if you defeat a boss they are dead for good or when you open up a shortcut it stays open even after dying.

silver1289s

Mar 8, 2018
Finally beat the game today after 16 hours and 756 deaths. The last level and boss was quite the difficulty spike, but I managed to push through. The game is a 9/10 for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The music and artwork alone is worth it and I'm looking forward to the release of the soundtrack.

Over the summer I played through Shinobi 3 for the first time and had been looking for something similiar since then. This definitley fit that and I was amazed at how it started to differentiate towards the end in regards to mobility. I really hope we get a sequel eventually.

silver1289s

Mar 8, 2018

seems to be a pretty cool picture guide which includes screenshots of secrets and stuff. randomly clicked on a chapter and instantly saw a part where I missed a now quite obvious secret path to a health upgrade.... :/ ... :D

Dancrane212 maybe a thing for the OP too?

Just wanted to say thanks for reccomending that guide. It helped a lot with the final boss

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
I think I'm going to drop this. It's a shame because I'm enjoying it mostly, but I just find it too challenging to enjoy. Currently stuck on the second form of the chapter 5 boss.

Hearing that it only gets harder from here on out doesn't inspire me!

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Alright no upgrades and live forever feats done. Just speed run to go.
I love how well done the bosses are in this game. Very fair and well designed. I think it's the games strongest point.
Appirator is my favorite theme. Shame he is one of gaming's biggest jobbers.

Apr 24, 2018
Just got to Chapter 8. I'm definitely gonna be stuck here for a while. I'd finally started buying some of the power ups other than the health regen at save points which definitely made things easier, but the knockback deaths here are gonna be pretty hard for me to get by. I'm also having very limited success when I try to parry in the air. I can parry on the ground without issue. I plan to start looking at the guide that TheMoon posted to see if I improve the way I play by watching others that are better than me at the game.

I think I'm going to drop this. It's a shame because I'm enjoying it mostly, but I just find it too challenging to enjoy. Currently stuck on the second form of the chapter 5 boss.

Hearing that it only gets harder from here on out doesn't inspire me!
I beat this boss last night. Its patterns were much easier to recognize, at least, than the Stage 4 boss imo, but the margin for error is pretty slim. I honestly didn't find stages 6/7, which I just beat tonight, any harder than stage 5. Stage 8 is a huge step up in difficulty for me, though. But it's definitely not worth it to keep playing if you're not having fun...even though I'm getting crushed, I'm still having fun so far.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Shit, I forgot this came out. Is it still marked down (PS5) or is it up to $19.99? I'm getting it regardless.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
During my playthrough, I missed that dash is on RB as well as > >. All game long I've been struggling with the double-tap. I even put it on one of my back paddles thinking that would help. No wonder others made it look so easy.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Dash button? Wtf, I just completed it without know it. I didn't have many problems to beat it, but it had been a good thing for the moveset.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, that last boss was tough.

The cool thing about this game is at first I thought I could never do it but you chip away at it and get there.

I loved my playthrough. I'm not going to play a game that hard again anytime soon, though.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Holy shit, that last boss was tough.

The cool thing about this game is at first I thought I could never do it but you chip away at it and get there.

I loved my playthrough. I'm not going to play a game that hard again anytime soon, though.
I had so many attempts at the last boss that I got the first phase down to a matter of seconds.
Intiially, you can get a few shuriken in before it dashes at you. When it drops down after the laser blasts, you can slash-dash through it, turn back and attack several times. It'll then flip back over your head, and you can pile on even more damage there. When it jumps up, dash to the other side of the screen, then you can get a few more shuriken in just as it launches the horizontal blasts and charges at you again. I think I got it down to only getting two of the big beam attacks off. Weirdly, in all my attempts at the boss, two of them had the first phase throw out some health items after it died. Anyone know why that was?

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had so many attempts at the last boss that I got the first phase down to a matter of seconds.
Intiially, you can get a few shuriken in before it dashes at you. When it drops down after the laser blasts, you can slash-dash through it, turn back and attack several times. It'll then flip back over your head, and you can pile on even more damage there. When it jumps up, dash to the other side of the screen, then you can get a few more shuriken in just as it launches the horizontal blasts and charges at you again. I think I got it down to only getting two of the big beam attacks off. Weirdly, in all my attempts at the boss, two of them had the first phase throw out some health items after it died. Anyone know why that was?
I also had health given to me a couple of times. It only happened on my first few attempts, though. Not sure why.

I beat the last boss with one health bar left.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I beat the game but does anyone know the trigger for
the arbitrator giving you health pickups before the final boss? I only got it once, not on the first attempt, and I wasn't able to replicate it

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
the arbitrator giving you health pickups before the final boss? I only got it once, not on the first attempt, and I wasn't able to replicate it
I was just wondering that myself. No idea, I got it
randomly, twice, in probably 30 attempts.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
And done. All feats completed. Great game.
I'm not really sure he drops it most of the time for me. I rarely ever get hit by him he's such a pushover. A big jobber he is.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I never got the health pickups on any attempt myself, maybe it calls back to the original fight where I missed the achievement because I didn't fight with HONOUR or whatever, maybe the same logic sorta stands here and he drops some health if you don't do something akin to cheese, though realistically I have no idea what would be considered cheese (it was never cheese in the first place I say!)

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
nobody said it#s harder. that's kinda the point many are making, it's too much reliant on now often un-fun trappings of those exact NES games.
I thought the levels were challenging in places but nothing crazy with how generous the checkpoints are. Like those trappings felt like trappings back then for me because they kept making me Game Over on that one part of Level 5 and have to restart on Level 1, just to Game Over immediately again when I got back. I feel like strict platforming like that is a lot more fun to play around with when failure just sends you back a minute. The checkpoints were generous enough it actually had me taking a lot of extra deaths at the end of segments to replay them before moving on. I had so much fun with this.