• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So you can only get Feats/Achievements first time through due to bosses not coming back? Or do they come back when you have a clear save file?
looking at the startup save select menu, it says "mode: normal" by default. I assume clearing the game unlocks other "modes" which might be where that comes into play again *shrug*

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
The road to wall climb/jump in this game is almost as bad as Hollow Knight
With that said, combined with the down slash jump extending, the game has finally opened up to me. The first 3 levels are awful though, too long between each checkpoints and tons of just "wait until your moment comes" type of obstacle. The lack of player agency is probably on me for being bad, but the game literally give me nothing to work with.
The music reseting on each death is not helping, nothing is more jarring than having retro design choices and then there's a ragdoll boomerang blade that absolutely kick ass (especially on Biohunter, poor guy took 6/7 shuriken and got the entire second phase skipped)

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Unfortunately i have absolutely no time for the game at the moment as i am learning for a language test and some private stuff going on at the moment.

reading the thread it seems that it is a bit divisive so far. can´t wait to play it for myself tbh, maybe i have time for it on the weekend.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I figured out that that is the way to beat the boss but it is incredibly irritating because of the way RNG factors into where platforms will be and where he will dive, leaving you literally dead in the water sometimes with no way to avoid it.

Went ahead and uninstalled the game. It's not for me. I was mostly enjoying it up until this part but mekadragon is infuriating.
ignore that method. I just did it this way, even though it takes longer, it's far less risky:
only attack when the thunder phase is happening and get away during the fire phase, also you can see bubbles under the water when the dragon boss is coming from under water for their vertical attack.
in other words, jump and shoot or slash during the thunder phase and don't bother going under its head.
What does that mean for people who have not played SF Third Strike and know how you parry projectiles in that game.
The same as you do in this game.

Tap forward when a projectile is about to hit you

It's an unlockable skill here though.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Guys, I just beat Mekadragon. Just with the shurikens. Don't give up cause it is easier than it seems. My strategy:

First and foremost, dont stop moving from one side to another, while watching for its vertical attacks and breaking as many flying things as you can, to always have platforms to stand on and shurikens to use.

Well, when the boss raises its head, it can perform to attacks: the one that electrifies the water and the blaster. If I am not wrong, it doesnt repeat the same attack twice. This is important. In these moments, stand on a platform and throw shurikens to its head like crazy. I say keep as much distance as you can, specially when it shoots at you, but also because when it goes back to the water he hurts you if you touch it.

That is how I won in the end, in a few tries.

Oct 27, 2017
i bought this on switch lite, and am now playing on xbox because of game pass, and i much prefer the big screen tv. also i fucking love the new xbox dpad.

i'm enjoying it the more i play. i like how pure of an experience it is.

Apr 19, 2018
I do wish abilities like Shuriken and Rising Fire had their own designated buttons. When using an analog stick, they're way too easy to activate accidentally when you're just trying to attack normally.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I do wish abilities like Shuriken and Rising Fire had their own designated buttons. When using an analog stick, they're way too easy to activate accidentally when you're just trying to attack normally.
Is there a reason why you're using an analog stick though? This sort of thing is why such games are designed with dpads in mind.

Apr 19, 2018
Is there a reason why you're using an analog stick though? This sort of thing is why such games are designed with dpads in mind.

It's a more comfortable option during extended play, especially when using something like the Switch's Joy Con in portable mode. Not so much an issue when playing in docked with a Pro Controller.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I also beat Mekadragon with shurikens. Toss a few and jump away from its fireballs. Toss a bunch when it's getting electric. It seemed daunting at first, but went down like a chump in the end.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Just installed this on Game Pass as it looks great but part of me wants to just buy on PS5 for 120hz 🥴

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Enjoying it so far but I find Messenger better. The no crouching is annoying, the pogo stick attack is too slow as it has a long startup animation. If it wasn't for the generous checkpoints, the game would have been way more difficult than The Messenger. Traversal and level design is lacking so far. impressive game nonetheless, especially taking into account it was made by one guy.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I hope there's a boss rush or something cause man... I was almost there to get the feat to beat alpha only with parying, only to launch a shuriken by mistake at the end killing it, ugh

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I beat the first two missions last night. Great retro game! Checkpoint system is super smart and fair so far and the bosses have been a blast.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I enjoy that the checkpoints have an arrow telling you the direction to head in.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Man some of the areas you find by going back through earlier levels are insane challenges

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
The difficulty in this game feels just about perfect to me. You never find yourself redoing a boss or area more than a few times, but you can't just coast through. The checkpoint placements are also quite generous for a game of this style.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Without spoiling anything, is there a way to revisit bosses later? I don't like worrying about feats/achievements my first time through levels.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 3, i really like it, a lot. best mix of linear stage with probably a lot of replay value that will eventualy happen.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game is much doper when you unlock the run. They should give you that move earlier.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I'm only on the second stage but I think this is going to be too difficult for me. Shame, as I was in the mood for something like this.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Steel Assault used to be a different game entirely when it was Kickstarted, and they had created a bunch of assets for it. When the project changed direction, the Cyber Shadow dev struck a deal with the Steel Assault dev to repurpose the assets they were going to throw away. As a part of that deal, everyone who backed the original Steel Assault vision is getting a free copy of Cyber Shadow. It's not something they needed to do, and honestly considering how massively different Cyber Shadow itself became over time, it doesn't even really make sense... but I'm thankful they're sticking to it, nonetheless.

Did anyone who backed Steel Assault get a key for Cyber Shadow yet?

Apr 19, 2018
Just killed Biohunter. Cool fight.

I got an achievement for beating him with just the sword so cool.

The music reseting on each death is not helping, nothing is more jarring than having retro design choices and then there's a ragdoll boomerang blade that absolutely kick ass (especially on Biohunter, poor guy took 6/7 shuriken and got the entire second phase skipped)

I do feel like shit for using the Swag Blade on Biohunter and basically decimating him with zero challenge. =/

Speaking of Swag Blade, is there any way to manually turn it off without having to kill or damage yourself thrice on purpose? It's pretty much killing my ability to Air Strike bounce off enemies since the Swag destroys them by accident.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only on the second stage but I think this is going to be too difficult for me. Shame, as I was in the mood for something like this.

Just reach chapter 5.... and this is seriously getting pretty challenging... if you think this is hard it get way harder....

Chapter 4 boss. WTF!!

No idea how I beat this dude.

This is the Dragon or the one after ? If the dragon just spam fire ball spell when he stop, you will destroy it

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
the vibes in this game are god-tier. this is already firmly

on the OST of the year list.

just ride it out, go slow and be methodical, soon you'll unlock more weapons and abilities that will make things feel very different. the game you're playing in stage 2 is not the game you're playing by the end of stage 3.

we've had this in the review thread, they dropped those names already in pre-launch interviews^^

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So IMO the only small flaw with the otherwise nearly prefect controls is the double-tap to dash. I wish a shoulder button was assigned to this again instead. It just feels a little off to me where I'll often die by accident because I either dashed right before jumping without meaning too or failed to trigger the dash when I needed it.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
So IMO the only small flaw with the otherwise nearly prefect controls is the double-tap to dash. I wish a shoulder button was assigned to this again instead. It just feels a little off to me where I'll often die by accident because I either dashed right before jumping without meaning too or failed to trigger the dash when I needed it.
it is bound to RB for me and you can turn the double direction to dash off in the gameplay settings