• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Just killed Biohunter. Cool fight.

I got an achievement for beating him with just the sword so cool. I think this may be the point where some people is dropping the game for now, just a 7% of players got the achievement for beating him (Xbox).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Stopped at the start of chapter 4.

I don't know if I've just maybe reached something of a personal ceiling on retro inspired action games but this marks the third in a row in the last 6 months or so (Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2 and Panzer Paladin being the other two) that just leaves me like "it's okay" and not much more than that.

What I will positively say is level design and boss design is perfectly solid, got a nice spread of gimmicks so far that have given each stage it's own flavour.
Oh and of course the controls are tight as can be, I expected that to be a given and wasn't wrong.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the first two stages. I feel kinda ambivalent about it. Stages are too long, they really wear out their welcome and the gameplay is more basic and straight-forward than I thought it as going to be. Or at least it starts off that way.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Maybe I'm just getting sick of the retro side scrollers but this game feels so derivative. It is a good "one of those" which doesn't do it with my infinite backlog at this point. The Messenger was the last game like this that I liked and it feels infinitely better and more unique to me.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Think I'm a little past the halfway point of the game now. It was pretty decent up to this point but with all the moves and everything now it's extremely satisfying to tear through rooms of enemies. Reminds me a lot of the Spectre of Torment expansion to Shovel Knight once you've unlocked all the different abilities there, actually

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
At chapter 6 at the moment.

Game is good but the stages are too long. Not only that but this is one of those "let's give the player a butter knife and place all the enemies in inconvenient locations." Bosses are also kinda weak, they just kinda die before anything interesting happens. The story seems pretty interesting but kinda predictable, this has huge "the person you're helping is actually the bad guy" vibes. I'm hoping for a big swerve that will spice things up because right now the game is presenting itself too straight and is suffering for it. We'll see.

The music is incredible though.

Oct 25, 2017
I have the Shovel Knight Amiibo and ended up using it in the game. It followed me around and would seem to open boxes and hit some enemies. I died and scanned it again and now the Shovel Knight fairy just falls asleep and doesn't follow me. Can you only scan it once a Chapter?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Plays well and it's a fun Megaman (somewhat) + Shatterhand + Shadow of the ninja mix.
Yeah, I thought there would be some twist to the gameplay mechanics; it's very basic although what's there is well done.
The music, from what I heard so far, is fantastic

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I literally don't even understand how the mekadragon boss is possible
The key are the shurikens and down thrusts on the enemy platforms. You can slice up the that enemy again when it become a platform for SP. Wait for the electric water phase to slash him. Shuriken then blast attacks.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
only attack when the thunder phase is happening and get away during the fire phase, also you can see bubbles under the water when the dragon boss is coming from under water for their vertical attack.
Nah, you can attack during his fire phase too. Get under him right at he comes out of the water and spam like 2-3 quick uppercut slashes before getting the hell outta there. The boss fight provides you with ample SP supply, so your upward slashes will be the powered up versions that do way more damage.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, you can attack during his fire phase too. Get under him right at he comes out of the water and spam like 2-3 quick uppercut slashes before getting the hell outta there. The boss fight provides you with ample SP supply, so your upward slashes will be the powered up versions that do way more damage.

I know that you can hit during it but I found it to be more unsafe so I prefered to not do it.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Played for about 20 minutes over lunch and beat the first boss...I'm digging it so far. Music and presentation are great. Going to dive in for more tonight.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible game.
It's the polish and presentation that makes a huge difference, similar to current gen retro platformers like Curse of the Moon.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible game.
It's the polish and presentation that makes a huge difference, similar to current gen retro platformers like Curse of the Moon.
Yep. I totally agree. CotM was the last 8-bit style game that I liked this much before Cyber Shadow. Both games absolutely nail the look and feel of an NES game while feeling more modern and less punishing.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tip about upward slashes. It made the fight so much easier doing that!

Oct 25, 2017
I reached Chapter 7, the game is a 6 or a 7 for me so far, which is fine but I was expecting more.

I'll continue later/tomorrow.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
How similar is it to The Messenger? Better, worse, or just too different to really compare?

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't really feeling it at first but after the Chapter 2 Boss, I'm kind of warming up to it. Seeing the little robot escape up the wall made me smirk a bit, I bet they'll be back.

Knockback + spike pits is an absolutely brutal combo though.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Anyone using Game Pass on PC for this and their game is running in slow motion? That's what mine is doing and I have no idea why. Gonna restart and see what that does.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
How similar is it to The Messenger? Better, worse, or just too different to really compare?
Worse. Remove all of the unique humor and mechanics and you are left with this game. Similar feel in terms of the core mechanics so if you are looking for a solid old school platformer this will scratch that itch. I'm just burnt out on it.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Worse. Remove all of the unique humor and mechanics and you are left with this game. Similar feel in terms of the core mechanics so if you are looking for a solid old school platformer this will scratch that itch. I'm just burnt out on it.
The humor didn't land for me with The Messenger so I'm enjoying this game's more straight-faced presentation and linear progression a lot more.

Not saying you're right or wrong, just that there's different tastes.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I literally don't even understand how the mekadragon boss is possible
It's really easy once you know how. Move back and forth creating platforms and collecting spirit orbs. When possible, position yourself under the head when it is about to use its breath weapon, and use the upward-slash attack that sends fireballs up. You'll get multiple hits on its head. Then be ready to move away out in front of it once it's fired, as it'll hit you there if you stay still.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
About how long is this game to beat? How many chapters?
From the map it looks like there are 11 stages, but they are long and when you first go through them, there's a lot of each stage you can't reach yet. Reviewers are saying anything from 5 hours if you rush to 10 if you go back and scour the levels with new skills for health and spirit upgrades.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
From the map it looks like there are 11 stages, but they are long and when you first go through them, there's a lot of each stage you can't reach yet. Reviewers are saying anything from 5 hours if you rush to 10 if you go back and scour the levels with new skills for health and spirit upgrades.
Cool, thanks. I think I'll end up picking this up.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's really easy once you know how. Move back and forth creating platforms and collecting spirit orbs. When possible, position yourself under the head when it is about to use its breath weapon, and use the upward-slash attack that sends fireballs up. You'll get multiple hits on its head. Then be ready to move away out in front of it once it's fired, as it'll hit you there if you stay still.

I figured out that that is the way to beat the boss but it is incredibly irritating because of the way RNG factors into where platforms will be and where he will dive, leaving you literally dead in the water sometimes with no way to avoid it.

Went ahead and uninstalled the game. It's not for me. I was mostly enjoying it up until this part but mekadragon is infuriating.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm in stage 7 and still havent found anything to break red doors and crates yet. Am I missing something?
edit- nevermind

Last edited:

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Very similar, however I'd much rather play this as it seems to keep getting better, while sadly the messenger started strong but completely fell apart.

I would go further and say that this is much better than shovel knight as well. My very minority opinion is the SK was a pretty mediocre game, especially to begin with (each content released showed improvement in various ways). You could see the idea, take an old style and update it, but I never felt that they quite had the chops to pull that off in terms of balance and design.

This feels to me like they now have the confidence and ability to really update a classic and not only tick the boxes, but actually build on what was great to begin with and really push it forward.

Very enjoyable.

Oct 27, 2017
it's a cool game, nothing mind blowing so far but immensely playable and well made. dying a crapton.

love the CRT mode in this.

Stopped at the start of chapter 4.

I don't know if I've just maybe reached something of a personal ceiling on retro inspired action games but this marks the third in a row in the last 6 months or so (Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2 and Panzer Paladin being the other two) that just leaves me like "it's okay" and not much more than that.

What I will positively say is level design and boss design is perfectly solid, got a nice spread of gimmicks so far that have given each stage it's own flavour.
Oh and of course the controls are tight as can be, I expected that to be a given and wasn't wrong.

i feel this to an extent — i'm not in love with this style of game anymore, whereas i really, really used to be. (shovel knight was my favorite game of the year it released.) i'm enjoying this game a decent amount, but it's not something i'm probably going to remember much of in a year. unless it like blows my mind halfway through or something.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Hey Dancrane212

Cyber Shadow: Instruction Manual | Yacht Club Games

Best Game Company Born of a Yacht
you could add the official manual webpage to the OP.

explains what all the drops and some of the skills are.

This game has Third Strike-style projectile parrying. I'm in love.
What does that mean for people who have not played SF Third Strike and know how you parry projectiles in that game.
Crappy performance (but its not Unity engine game afaik)
But it doesn't have crappy performance??!??!

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So you can only get Feats/Achievements first time through due to bosses not coming back? Or do they come back when you have a clear save file?