• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So I came across a wall of like orange boxes at one point I think in the second level that I couldn't get through, and now I just acquired the flame uppercut ability. Does that destroy those boxes? If so, I'll go back to that area and see what was behind that barrier.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Really enjoying the game so far! The writing is a bit lacking, especially compared to Shovel Knight/The Messenger, but I like it overall. The soundtrack is really good!

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Is this achievement list for real? It looks like they are all random numbers? I honestly won't play this game if it's going to result in some wonky achievement number, and I'm sure I'm not alone. If this is real, I'm surprised there isn't a stand alone thread about it. Shame, I was all ready to give this game a go and now I'm going to pass.

www.xboxachievements.com

Cyber Shadow Achievement List

Cyber Shadow has 40 Achievements worth 1000 points. View all the Achievements here

It is real yeah. All achievements end in either 6 or 1

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Got it on PS5. 3 levels in and I think it's really good. This is what I wanted Mega Man 11 to be, basically.

Saw reviews say maybe it felt too old, but I think it feels super modern. The jump elasticity and air steering precision is higher than a modern Mario game, and the checkpoints are super generous compared to plenty of 2D action games.
So far bosses go down easy once you learn the pattern (though I wouldn't even be impressed if someone took them down on their first try, just because they're not too oppressive).

Level design is good too. Only complaint so far is maybe they used those hovering bug guys just a tad too much in level 2, for that castlevania-like knock back death, but you can just jump at them and it'll push you back onto your platform, let alone they only charge at you twice before leaving the game entirely without respawning.

To anyone being afraid of this being like Ninja Gaiden too much: it's not. There's no eternal stream of enemies, and most enemies not only move much slower, but have much fairer patterns/angles as well. If anything, this game is like a mega man game, that just so happens to star a ninja.
Enemy placement is actually a thing, and it's thought out, unlike those older games where they just kept chucking them at you, without necessary having them be in any specific location on screen, to save memory and to keep you from sitting still.

EDIT: Serious noob question: If my TV doesn't support 120hz, is the game still 120fps on PS5?
Game feels perfect, so I don't mind if it's not, but I'm curious if anyone knows how it works.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I think there is a problem with some of these games that exploit older traditions, but fail to update the whole experience to a modern level. I didnt get on with The Messenger either, mostly because of its vapid narrative, but at least that feels great to play. This doesnt. Its just not any fun to play. Like I dont get the internal logic of some of enemy routines; why do you have to take out the flame vents twice? I thought they were infintely respawning until I accidentally took one out twice. And those bugs that come from side hole - sometimes there is one of them, sometimes two, or four, before they stop coming. And the flying bugs - why do you have to first take out their wings. It all adds to a mess of an experience, until youve figured out the screen youre on, after the fact. Ugh.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Played for 40 minutes or something and really dig it, but MAN I could feel my frustration levels rising already in certain sections. It's not really fucking around with some of its oldschool-ness and annoying ass enemies.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
For someone that played through the NES trilogy last year, while the main character & attack looks like Ninja Gaiden, its a bit slower overall.

I think if you come in expecing Ninja Gaiden like me you will be a bit dissapointed, but if you come in without a ton of expectations its fairly well made. I think I am around halfway through the game now for reference.
I never played the NES gaiden games. Only the 3D games. Sounds good. I will look into it on Switch. Good that it's a bit slower from gameplay perspective.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there is a problem with some of these games that exploit older traditions, but fail to update the whole experience to a modern level. I didnt get on with The Messenger either, mostly because of its vapid narrative, but at least that feels great to play. This doesnt. Its just not any fun to play. Like I dont get the internal logic of some of enemy routines; why do you have to take out the flame vents twice? I thought they were infintely respawning until I accidentally took one out twice. And those bugs that come from side hole - sometimes there is one of them, sometimes two, or four, before they stop coming. And the flying bugs - why do you have to first take out their wings. It all adds to a mess of an experience, until youve figured out the screen youre on, after the fact. Ugh.
There's no real reason to update the whole experience of a retro-inspired game to a modern level. The best modern-retro games add modern flourishes, while keeping most of what made these games what they were intact.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

I object to you saying The Messenger has a vapid narrative. The writing in that game is extremely sharp.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I... kinda hate this game. Whoever did the checkpoints is a real jerk.

Really wish they'd implemented a more lenient checkpoint system for us olds. At the very least, there should be a checkpoint prior to a platforming ascent with an instant-kill pit at the bottom.

Oct 25, 2017
Does pc version support 120hz?
Framerate is unlocked so it just matches whatever your monitor/TV is set up to output, correct? Pretty sure I've got it at 165hz, not that it makes a huge difference in a game like this.

My point being - I don't see a '120hz' option or anything like that

I... kinda hate this game. Whoever did the checkpoints is a real jerk.

Really wish they'd implemented a more lenient checkpoint system for us olds. At the very least, there should be a checkpoint prior to a platforming ascent with an instant-kill pit at the bottom.
What chapter are you? I'm only on chapter 3 but I've found the checkpoints pretty generous so far. I also went in (happily) expecting a challenging and somewhat unforgiving game, though

Oct 28, 2017
There's no real reason to update the whole experience of a retro-inspired game to a modern level. The best modern-retro games add modern flourishes, while keeping most of what made these games what they were intact.
Yeah I can appreciate that. But then I would argue that its not a good videogame because the source material wasnt very good either. I mean, I forgot to add in that post that its odd that there is no vertical attack, which makes the gameplay a matter of jigging the character into a position where you can hit the enemy sideways, which is frustrating with so much vertical platforming. In Spelunky, your main whip attack also attacks enemies behind you and above since it arcs out from behind you and rolls out in front of you. So you can use it to defend yourself while jumping around.

Or ducking, which is equally baffling since that would make some stuff a lot easier to avoid, especially since there is no way to predict exactly what the enemy routines are by using logic or previous experience.

The only way to learn something in this game is to fail repeatedly until youve memorised exactly how the enemies are going to act, and how many there are of them. Maybe thats how games used to be in the 8-bit era but in hindsight that is not necessarily an integral part of a games retro aesthetics. You can still change what didnt work then, and still have a great retro game experience, and also something that is a lot more fun to play.

Its maybe not considered a purist retro game but I really loved Katana Zero, thats more the kind of retro-modern experience Im looking for.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can appreciate that. But then I would argue that its not a good videogame because the source material wasnt very good either. I mean, I forgot to add in that post that its odd that there is no vertical attack, which makes the gameplay a matter of jigging the character into a position where you can hit the enemy sideways, which is frustrating with so much vertical platforming. In Spelunky, your main whip attack also attacks enemies behind you and above since it arcs out from behind you and rolls out in front of you. So you can use it to defend yourself while jumping around.

Or ducking, which is equally baffling since that would make some stuff a lot easier to avoid, especially since there is no way to predict exactly what the enemy routines are by using logic or previous experience.

The only way to learn something in this game is to fail repeatedly until youve memorised exactly how the enemies are going to act, and how many there are of them. Maybe thats how games used to be in the 8-bit era but in hindsight that is not necessarily an integral part of a games retro aesthetics. You can still change what didnt work then, and still have a great retro game experience, and also something that is a lot more fun to play.

Its maybe not considered a purist retro game but I really loved Katana Zero, thats more the kind of retro-modern experience Im looking for.
Katana Zero is an AMAZING game, but you're right, it's not really a retro experience. It's very much a modern game with lots of retro influences, which is cool. Cyber Shadow is kind of the opposite and I appreciate both for what they bring.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I finally lost it but I think I actually prefer the xbox series x controller dpad grid-thing to my 8bitdo snes controller. Atleast I've not been able to notice the difference in capability and I prefer the ergonomics of the series x controller. This is the first old school nes type game I've tried with it and I'm shocked.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wow there's so much to go back to old stages for. Doesn't seem like I've hit even 50% of some of them yet (am on stage 6)

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha this game hurts so good. I went from endless hours of AC: Valhalla to this and it's properly knocking the rust right off.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Really loving this game so far. The controls are razor-sharp, and the difficulty is perfectly manageable for a game of this style. The soundtrack is also quite good.

Swag Blade is the best power-up I've come across so far. It's a really fun weapon.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly is that referring to in the options? Like, when you get hit and flash?
some of the text flashes very fast (like the "talk" option when next to an npc) and there are some flashing effects (which could trigger migrane attacks or seizure, if you have epilepsy).

i play in german, so i dont know what the options are called in english. its one option for the flashing text and another for flashing lights in general.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
A lot of people compare this to Ninja Gaiden, but of NES ninja games, it's actually a lot more like Shadow of the Ninja (Natsume).

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Not being able to duck throws me off

It's fucking annoying.

It's like purposely obstinate game design.

I get that this game allows you to build skills but when the default mechanics give you less options than a NES game from 30 years ago it just seems like overkill and, at least for me, strips some of the fun out of the proceedings.

But again, that's me. It's still a very cool-looking game with solid controls, I'm just not having all that much fun playing it thus far.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
some of the text flashes very fast (like the "talk" option when next to an npc) and there are some flashing effects (which could trigger migrane attacks or seizure, if you have epilepsy).

i play in german, so i dont know what the options are called in english. its one option for the flashing text and another for flashing lights in general.

Ah, cool. Thanks.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
What chapter are you? I'm only on chapter 3 but I've found the checkpoints pretty generous so far. I also went in (happily) expecting a challenging and somewhat unforgiving game, though

I dunno. Second half of the first mission, maybe? There's a part where you fight your way horizontally over some bottomless pits, ride an elevator up, and then fight your way up a vertical pit. I'll fully admit I suck at old-school games, but if I'm playing a hard game, I much prefer the "master this segment" school of design, rather than "master these three segments and also a single hit can kill you at most any time". I'm okay with hard, just let me move on once I'm done. It ruins the sense of accomplishment for me when I then need to re-play the segment twenty times to practice the second segment.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people compare this to Ninja Gaiden, but of NES ninja games, it's actually a lot more like Shadow of the Ninja (Natsume).
Personally I think it feels a lot like Batman NES.
www.nintendolife.com

Cyber Shadow Dev On 8-Bit Classics And How We Can Thank Yacht Club For The Switch Launch

"I can’t comprehend how it happened, must be dark magic"
I was always fascinated with some NES games in how they could suggest detail with their limited palettes. Specifically, Shadow of the Ninja and Batman on the NES were huge inspirations. The way their art shows some aspects in the light and then fade into darkness felt so striking to me. As for gameplay, Mega Man accomplished so much with just jumping and shooting, so I wanted to do something similar with just jumping and slashing.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
www.nintendolife.com

Cyber Shadow Dev On 8-Bit Classics And How We Can Thank Yacht Club For The Switch Launch

"I can’t comprehend how it happened, must be dark magic"

Cyber Shadow appears to channel games like Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania and Mega Man. What would you say is the biggest retro gaming influence on the project?

I was always fascinated with some NES games in how they could suggest detail with their limited palettes. Specifically, Shadow of the Ninja and Batman on the NES were huge inspirations. The way their art shows some aspects in the light and then fade into darkness felt so striking to me. As for gameplay, Mega Man accomplished so much with just jumping and shooting, so I wanted to do something similar with just jumping and slashing.

Well there it is.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
I think there is a problem with some of these games that exploit older traditions, but fail to update the whole experience to a modern level.
I get what your saying here, I think Huntdown is one of the games to absolutely nail the nostalgia/modernization balance. I've only played the first level of Cyber Shadow so far and I'm not sure how I feel about it overall yet but the first impression wasn't as strong, things like the lack of crouch feel very odd.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It's fucking annoying.

It's like purposely obstinate game design.

I get that this game allows you to build skills but when the default mechanics give you less options than a NES game from 30 years ago it just seems like overkill and, at least for me, strips some of the fun out of the proceedings.

But again, that's me. It's still a very cool-looking game with solid controls, I'm just not having all that much fun playing it thus far.
Some enemies go through platforms so in order to hit them you have to backtrack and let them come to your level. It's a bit annoying

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this game is really great. Seriously. I haven't loved an 8-bit-inspired action platformer this much since the first Curse of the Moon. Now that I have expanded my repertoire of abilities (one of which I found cleverly hidden, which was satisfying), the game just feels amazing to play. It really is like a perfect modernization of NES-style game design, and I just love it. It's never too difficult, but you always have to be on your toes. Thankfully the controls are pitch-perfect, so I haven't gotten frustrated even once.

I just discovered a secret entrance to an alternate route/area that deviates from the critical path. So good.

Apr 19, 2018
I've only gotten past the first chapter, and I gotta say, the current limitation of mobility is actually really refreshing. Some might see it as a negative, but the lack of maneuvers like ducking or vertical/eight way attacking makes character positioning and zoning an important part of the gameplay. Almost like a competitive fighting game in a sense.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I've only gotten past the first chapter, and I gotta say, the current limitation of mobility is actually really refreshing. Some might see it as a negative, but the lack of maneuvers like ducking or vertical/eight way attacking makes character positioning and zoning an important part of the gameplay. Almost like a competitive fighting game in a sense.
You never gain the ability to duck (as far as I know), but you definitely acquire a ton of mobility options as you play that totally change up the gameplay. You really feel like a fast, acrobatic ninja after unlocking a few of them.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
So this is interesting. Went to fire it up on PS5 and the screen went black for a moment, but it was between the title image and the game displaying so I didn't notice it at first. Game is looking super crisp, etc, but I don't see anything for 120hz mode in the Video Settings menu. I went to close it back to the PS5 menu aaaaand the screen flicked black again, which only happens when switching display types (resolution, framerate, HDR, etc).

I went back into the game again, noticing the extra bit of black after the title image this time, and hit Display on my remote. It's in 1080p.

Why, do you ask? Because it at least looks like the game will shift to 120hz mode by default if it's available, regardless of the resolution. I'm using a Sony X950G, which does 1080p120 if you tell it to. So... it's interesting that the game just does it by default and doesn't have an option in the video menu.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love what they did with the first boss. I just had to restart from the checkpoint. It's a fun and responsive game. Really enjoying it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Chapter 6. All the boss fights have been good so far, in that they seem tough at first then a bit of trial and error and observation and you can breeze through without taking damage. Just stopped at a terminal to go back and explore old areas with my current suite of abilities