• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Game looks amazing. IGN gave it an 8.

Cyber Shadow

The world has been taken over by synthetic lifeforms. A desperate plea for help sets Shadow on a journey to uncover what started the path to perpetual ruin. Slash through the techno hordes, leap past traps, and nimbly navigate the ruins of Mekacity. Only you can unlock the secrets to your clan's...

MC: 84 currently

opencritic.com

Cyber Shadow Reviews

Cyber Shadow is rated 'Strong' after being reviewed by 73 critics, with an overall average score of 81. It's ranked in the top 14% of games and recommended by 84% of critics.

OC: 81 currently

It comes out tomorrow.

It's basically on every modern platform:

Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac.

Also coming to GamePass (both Xbox and PC)

Last edited:

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I actually forgot this was the Yacht Club published one because the title is so generic.

Hoping it reviews well though!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I feel starting the thread title by naming the loose inspiration is doing this a disservice.

You could also just say "it's on everything" instead of various platforms^^

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I remembered seeing the launch trailer then forgot about the game it had been so long since I'd seen anything about it. Was reminded about it last week by a friend saying ti was coming out this week and went to preorder it on PSN. There's a nice PS+ discount and it's cross-buy, with the PS5 version having a 120hz mode.

razt99

Jan 7, 2021
I was looking through PSN and was going to pre-order because I thought it looked cool. Did a little research and found out its coming to Game Pass, can't wait to give it a shot. Anyone know the length? Wonder if I can beat it before The Medium

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that backers of Steel Assault on Kickstarter get this for free! I've also got my Switch preload ready to go.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Gaiden 2 on the NES is amazing.

The last level is a little insane but it is doable.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I'm conflicted. This look really cool, but I'm starting to get some "Ninja Gaiden Nostalgia" fatigue. The Messenger was kinda the plateau of my interest in these games.

EDIT: Oh this is on Game Pass? Might as well give it a spin then...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've come to this game very late (in terms of knowing about it's existence) but, man, am I in for the ride. Looks amazing.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Horrible title. Awesome looking game. At first glance I would have said that must have been a Japanese Ninja Gaiden that never made it stateside lol. Did a really good job capturing it.

They should have used the world "Ninja" in the title though. "Ninja Side Story," just to be cheeky.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hope it reviews well. Got it pre-ordered on PS5. Looks sweet.

Hope it is easier than the NES Ninja Gaiden games. I am too old to handle that level of difficulty.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The two main inspirations for this game were Sunsoft's Batman and Natsume's Shadow of the Ninja. I wouldn't necessarily go into this expecting Ninja Gaiden, though if you like 8-bit action games in general, this one seems like a safe bet.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Going to echo those who said it looks more like a lost NES Sunsoft or Natsume game. I'm probably going to buy it, I love those games even if I'm terrible at them.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is it console Game Pass only or will it be on PC too?

PC, console and cloud streaming

TW_Available-Today_Coming-Soon_templates_1.19.2021_update.jpg

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I've been excited for this for quite a while so glad that its turned out well.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'll be picking this up at some point as well but not in the mood for something pretty difficult right now so it'll have to wait. The backlog is growing!

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't say don't name drop NG, I suggested maybe don't lead with that.

I also feel people jump to Ninja Gaiden way too quickly every time they see an 8bit throwback game starring a ninja dude. It's very easy to misrepresent these games.
Fair enough! In any case, I'm looking forward to the game now. Have you been following it for a while/excited for it?

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
Pre-ordered for Switch due to the fact it was made by one Finnish guy so at least he will get my money alongside that sweet Game Pass money as well.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
At one point, there was also preload for Cyber Shadow on Xbox with Game Pass, but it seems to have vanished from the list, so not sure if it's still there or not lol. I don't know how big the download is, though, so it may not matter.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The game is inspired by way more than NG/Shadow Warriors
www.resetera.com

Cyber Shadow finally gets a bunch of new details

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/interview-cyber-shadow-aarne-hunziker-mekaskull-yacht-club-games/ No release date, unfortunately. Sorry, I tried! But MekaSkull shared a bunch of random new information about himself, Cyber Shadow, and what comes next after the game is released. Some random...

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The game is inspired by way more than NG/Shadow Warriors
www.resetera.com

Cyber Shadow finally gets a bunch of new details

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/interview-cyber-shadow-aarne-hunziker-mekaskull-yacht-club-games/ No release date, unfortunately. Sorry, I tried! But MekaSkull shared a bunch of random new information about himself, Cyber Shadow, and what comes next after the game is released. Some random...
Thanks for the update! R-Type and a Cave game? Interesting lol.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Reviews seem good! I'll admit I'm a little burned out on retro 8-bit aesthetic (I kind of thought The Messenger was just ok), but it looks fun and the length is right. Will put on my list.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks for the update! R-Type and a Cave game? Interesting lol.
Yeah there's a ton of cool influences! Seems like it keeps fresh ideas coming too, alongside nods to accessibility like not starting from a late game checkpoint with
nothing, often a feature of the tougher 8-bit games that could lead to frustration and long barriers without advancement. That's something I love to see in these side scrollers with retro appeal, rather than just rehashing the classics.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My first hyped game of the new year. I agree with a lot of others that I largely feel tapped out on 8bit nostalgia, but this looks polished enough and drawing from enough different inspirations that it looks like a big winner to me. I don't really see a ton of Ninja Gaiden inspiration besides 8bit ninja and cutscenes, but after how much I didn't like The Messenger I think that's a good thing for me