• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My first Moderna shot was at a CVS a few weeks ago, with the second scheduled for May 19 thirty minutes into the city. I wonder if I can walk into a much closer CVS for the second shot now.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Good to hear. It seems like at this point if you aren't getting vaccinated, it is because you don't want to, rather than a lack of supply.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
My first Moderna shot was at a CVS a few weeks ago, with the second scheduled for May 19 thirty minutes into the city. I wonder if I can walk into a much closer CVS for the second shot now.

You probably can. My wife got her first shot at walmart and had an appointment for her 2nd but we just walked into one and got it done earlier last week. I even walked into a walgreens and got my 2nd shot and I actually got my first shot in my home country but wouldn't be able to get back there in time for my 2nd shot so had it done in the usa. They generally don't care as long as you get a shot they'll be more than happy to give them out.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
good luck to us...

time to start restricting the anti-vaxxers

The survey did show that there had been some progress among Republicans, who have been among the firmest holdouts. Among that group, 55 percent said they had gotten a shot or intended to do so, up from 46 percent in March. The percentage who will "definitely not" get the vaccine is shrinking as well, down to 20 percent from 29 percent in March.
Slow but steady progress. Obviously not ideal, but I'm glad there's been some movement. I think we always knew that the first 50-60% of the US population wouldn't be too hard to get vaccinated but it was going to be really difficult after that, so this shouldn't come as a huge surprise.

It's super anecdotal but the only anti-vax person I know is a teacher, and their employer has started hinting that she may be fired if she continues to refuse to get vaccinated. I'll have no sympathy for her if so...

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
REALLY wish there were a way to penalize these individuals.

Need more carrots and need more sticks.

Maybe another stimmy that only applies to those who get shots would be nice - everyone gets the stimmy upfront, but you have to show proof of vaccination or exemption from a doctor in some way when filing taxes in 2022 to not have to give back the stimmy.

That's the carrot. A good stick will be schools requiring a vaccinated (or doctor-exempted) household for the upcoming school year. Parents want their kids in school.

Neither will be foolproof. People are going to forge shit and fake shit to get what they want, but it should eat into the hesitancy percentage.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
We just need Biden and the democrats to make noise about OK if Americans have taken all the vaccines they want we are going to send the rest of our stockpile to other countries that need it.

Then all of a sudden the right wing news desire to say Biden is doing something wrong + desire to screw over foreign countries = more interest in taking the vaccine

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Seems awesome for those that want to get vaccinated, but this is also a sign that large parts of the population have yet to get vaccinated and aren't planning on getting one.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my first shot this past week at Walgreens. So many open time slots were available. Not surprised if they're just having these slots go unused to offer walk-ins.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
When I got my J&J shot last night at CVS I was told to let anyone I know who wants a vaccine to give them a call.

The reason was because they end up with so much leftover at the end of each night.

I worry it's because people aren't getting vaccinated. I was there for almost an hour and I was the only one getting it.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'd require it for travel, domestic and international. If we have to strip naked to get on a plane because 2000 people died 20 years ago then we can require a vax because 500,000 died. At least vaccines actually work unlike the security theater of the entire TSA.

Now that the vaccine is widely available it's time to start turning the screws on the holdouts.

Oct 25, 2017
Colleges requiring it in the fall is going to be huge and should help a lot. College kids travel a lot and were one of the biggest spreaders.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Private sector need to push this.., it's in their benefit to do so. Require all your employees to vaccinate in order to come to work, or they can take a hike for being a covid danger.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Last week Tuesday after getting my second shot the Walmart I was in had someone say multiple times on the loudspeaker that people could walk in and schedule appointments right then as they had availability.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This must be regional. In NYC most people I know are vaccinated already. Even my fox news, Tucker Carlson watching family members have gotten their shots.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
US vaccinations are slowing down massively. Let's hope it will be enough for herd immunity.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
This must be regional. In NYC most people I know are vaccinated already. Even my fox news, Tucker Carlson watching family members have gotten their shots.
It's not a Republican/Democrat thing, but even in NYC there's a disparity, with black/Hispanic neighborhoods being the ones that are lagging:

www.nytimes.com

See Who Has Been Vaccinated So Far in New York City (Published 2021)

About 30 percent of adults in the city have gotten at least one dose, but there are significant disparities in vaccination rates across neighborhoods and demographics.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, let's try scheduling a vaccine at CVS online.

Nope, error during the process. How about if I start at my local CVS. Awesome, it seems to be worki... error. Let's try a different browser. Nope, error. Let's try my cell phone. Nope, error.

CVS sure is making this easy.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

Nope, error during the process. How about if I start at my local CVS. Awesome, it seems to be worki... error. Let's try a different browser. Nope, error. Let's try my cell phone. Nope, error.

Have u tried Walgreens? They seemed to have lots of slots open at least in my area.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

never got it to work where i live but could easily schedule with... walgreen's, wal-mart, kroger, etc....

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a Republican/Democrat thing, but even in NYC there's a disparity, with black/Hispanic neighborhoods being the ones that are lagging:

www.nytimes.com

See Who Has Been Vaccinated So Far in New York City (Published 2021)

About 30 percent of adults in the city have gotten at least one dose, but there are significant disparities in vaccination rates across neighborhoods and demographics.
Same here in Philly: https://www.phila.gov/programs/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/data/vaccine/ (click Resident Demographics for detailed information).

Interestingly, there is a lot less racial disparity in people 75+ than in younger age groups, which tells me that the racial disparities are exacerbated by accessibility issues (which should hopefully begin to resolve themselves...).

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like that would make the other shot go to waste since you were already scheduled and they'll defrost a second shot expecting you to come in. Also, isn't there a specific reason for the waiting period between shots? Wouldn't getting the second shot now because you are tried of waiting negate that?

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Given that it's mostly white people not getting the vaccine, I wouldn't bet on our government enforcing anything.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Given that it's mostly white people not getting the vaccine, I wouldn't bet on our government enforcing anything.
This is not true. Nationally rate of vaccination for whites is 1.5x higher than for Hispanics and Blacks.

www.kff.org

Latest Data on COVID-19 Vaccinations by Race/Ethnicity | KFF

KFF is collecting and analyzing data on COVID-19 vaccinations by race/ethnicity to gain increased insight who is receiving the vaccine and whether some groups are facing disparities in vaccination.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like that would make the other shot go to waste since you were already scheduled and they'll defrost a second shot expecting you to come in. Also, isn't there a specific reason for the waiting period between shots? Wouldn't getting the second shot now because you are tried of waiting negate that?

I would still get it May 19th. I'm not going to fuck around with the science of this stuff.

On May 18th, I'll see if I can reschedule the second shot for a closer CVS. If not, then time to drive back into the city.

Oct 25, 2017
good luck to us...

time to start restricting the anti-vaxxers

There are a couple people at my company who aren't vaccinated, and given how easy it is to get one here I can only assume that it's because they're anti-vax. Office policy prevents them from coming into the office, and I know that this prevents one of these people (who is a new hire) from doing their job effectively because they need to manage some physical inventory.

I'm not really happy about it. If you refuse to get a vaccine and this prevents you from doing your job that you're in your first month at...well, I know what I would do if I were in charge.

rObit

Oct 27, 2017
Rite-Aid was doing this too, at the location I got my first dose at(US - Washington State). YMMV of course, no idea if they are doing it at all locations, but just wanted to let folks know, could be a good option.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Nice! I was getting my second dose today at Gillette which is about a 40 minute drive. Just rescheduled to a CVS a minute from my house!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is not true. Nationally rate of vaccination for whites is 1.5x higher than for Hispanics and Blacks.

www.kff.org

Latest Data on COVID-19 Vaccinations by Race/Ethnicity | KFF

KFF is collecting and analyzing data on COVID-19 vaccinations by race/ethnicity to gain increased insight who is receiving the vaccine and whether some groups are facing disparities in vaccination.
You most definitely have that inverted.

Little from column A, little from column B.

I think what maxxpower is alluding to is that the most vaccine resistant group is white Republican men, who seem to have somewhere around a 40% vaccine resistant percentage, and are more intractable than non-whites. Non-white men originally had a similarly high degree of vaccine reluctance, but public messaging campaigns have worked to reduce that. Similarly, white Republican women had also signaled to be vaccine resistant but those numbers have also come down.

Yet:

In terms of vaccination rates, whites are more likely to be vaccinated than hispanics and blacks, like darkhunger said, but the reason for that could be multi-faceted:

1) Vaccine hesitancy for sure, especially among non-white conservative men
2) Vaccine equity

On point #2 -- Non-white people are more likely to be lower income and more likely to have poorer access to routine medical care, so outside of reluctance, hesitancy, or opposition, it's simple questions of equity.

There's good and bad there. Equity can be overcome by good government, while opposition really can't be. Reluctance and hesitancy can also be overcome (to a degree) with good messaging and incentives.

Some states have been better than others at solving the equity issues, and unfortunately this really comes down to politics as well. Blue states have been much more effective at addressing vaccine equity through good government than red states, and red states especially in the south typically have large urban populations of non-white people. In MA, for instance, a state with now over 70% first-dose vaccination rate among eligible people and the lowest vaccination skepticism in the country (far from that thread that Wag posted a couple weeks ago, which was flatly wrong), has been doing pop-up, drive-up clinics in public housing and people who live in public housing were one of the first eligible groups in the state in Feb. This helps a lot. There's a lot of people who are open to getting a vaccine, but mobility, distance from a medical facility, relationship with the healthcare system, are all blockers... SO the more states do to unblock these, you see a very quick acceptance rate in those communities.

more needs to be done. I've emailed MA public health to locate empty parking lots around public transportation sites... Bus stops and subway stops, and setup mobile vaccination clinics there from 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm. You're going to get a lot of lower income, typically less white people coming and going to work in those areas, and it might not be convenient to get the vaccine on the first day someone sees the pop-up across from their bus stop, BUT knowing it's there, the second day they might go to work 30mins early, get the shot, jump on the bus, and be on there way. From a gov't perspective, it's cheap too.

Last edited:

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
I walked into a CVS and got my second dose, it was a pretty smooth process. And I even had my first dose from a separate hospital location, too.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully helps, its sad that getting an appt is not hard anymore as clearly the interest
Colleges requiring it in the fall is going to be huge and should help a lot. College kids travel a lot and were one of the biggest spreaders.

Until more states follow Desantis and FL. Colleges in FL that were mandating the vaccine to staff and students now can't because of the executive order the governor did here.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Little from column A, little from column B.

I think what maxxpower is alluding to is that the most vaccine resistant group is white Republican men, who seem to have somewhere around a 40% vaccine resistant percentage, and are more intractable than non-whites. Non-white men originally had a similarly high degree of vaccine reluctance, but public messaging campaigns have worked to reduce that. Similarly, white Republican women had also signaled to be vaccine resistant but those numbers have also come down.

In terms of vaccination rates, whites are more likely to be vaccinated than hispanics and blacks, like darkhunger said, but the reason for that could be multi-faceted:

1) Vaccine hesitancy for sure, especially among non-white conservative men
2) Vaccine equity

Non-white people are more likely to be lower income and more likely to have poorer access to routine medical care, so outside of reluctance, hesitancy, or opposition, it's simple questions of equity.

There's good and bad there. Equity can be overcome by good government, while opposition really can't be. Reluctance and hesitancy can also be overcome (to a degree) with good messaging and incentives.

Some states have been better than others at solving the equity issues, and unfortunately this really comes down to politics as well. Blue states have been much more effective at addressing vaccine equity through good government than red states, and red states especially in the south typically have large urban populations of non-white people. In MA, for instance, a state with now over 70% first-dose vaccination rate among eligible people and the lowest vaccination skepticism in the country (far from that thread that Wag posted a couple weeks ago, which was flatly wrong), has been doing pop-up, drive-up clinics in public housing and people who live in public housing were one of the first eligible groups in the state in Feb. This helps a lot. There's a lot of people who are open to getting a vaccine, but mobility, distance from a medical facility, relationship with the healthcare system, are all blockers... SO the more states do to unblock these, you see a very quick acceptance rate in those communities.

more needs to be done. I've emailed MA public health to locate empty parking lots around public transportation sites... Bus stops and subway stops, and setup mobile vaccination clinics there from 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm. You're going to get a lot of lower income, typically less white people coming and going to work in those areas, and it might not be convenient to get the vaccine on the first day someone sees the pop-up across from their bus stop, BUT knowing it's there, the second day they might go to work 30mins early, get the shot, jump on the bus, and be on there way. From a gov't perspective, it's cheap too.
Thanks for the explanation.