• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 26, 2018
In the midst of everything happening *cue John Travolta gesturing at everything in Pulp Fiction* My hair is getting a bit long and tangly. I have a pretty simple hairstyle, 1a-1b type hair, no layers, etc. All a hairstylist has to do is evenly trim my ends a few inches and call it a day.

Now I'm considering trimming my own hair, and I fear of cutting it terribly uneven. Have any of y'all cut your own hair before? Did you use any combs or special shears? Any quick tricks? I would not call myself the most dexterous person out there, but I'm not super clumsy.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
In the midst of everything happening *cue John Travolta gesturing at everything in Pulp Fiction* My hair is getting a bit long and tangly. I have a pretty simple hairstyle, 1a-1b type hair, no layers, etc. All a hairstylist has to do is evenly trim my ends a few inches and call it a day.

Now I'm considering trimming my own hair, and I fear of cutting it terribly uneven. Have any of y'all cut your own hair before? Did you use any combs or special shears? Any quick tricks? I would not call myself the most dexterous person out there, but I'm not super clumsy.
I have a much simpler hairstyle than you, but I gained a lot of confidence by watching a ton of videos on instagram that barbers put out and then started visualizing what I would do for my head. You would definitely need two mirrors so you can see the back of your head. I also ordered a scissors set from Amazon to have a nice pair that was ideal for hair. I would say take is very slow and try for a simple style first. Also, if you notice mistakes right away after you finish, wait a bit after taking a shower and style it first before you try to address fixes. Give yourself a little space between changes and think about where you may have made mistakes and where you might make fixes.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In June, I used a straight edge razor to "shave" off 3 to 6 inches of my hair - hacking at it like I was cutting through rainforest. It's a mess.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Every two weeks I buzz it all with the size 1 clipper. My receding hairline is continuing to progress, so I keep it quite short for the inevitable day I have to go completely shaven and it isn't a shock to people.

So, no much help to you I'm afraid.

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
i bought a set of clippers so me and my son could cut each others hair, he did a good job on mine. I hacked his hair badly, I really was not confidant cutting hair. I would think it may be more difficult cutting your own hair.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I shave my sides every couple weeks. Not as good as a fade, but it gets the job done. Just don't try to be fancy.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I started cutting my own hair couple of months ago and I'm getting the hang of it now.
I just watch some vids in youtube on how to do it properly and its fairly easy.

Clippers and a pair of these works great. The one with teeth will make your hair thin.
1225919484.g_0-w_g.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I started cutting my own hair couple of months ago and I'm getting the hang of it now.

Clippers and a pair of these works great. The one with teeth will make your hair thin.
1225919484.g_0-w_g.jpg
My mom's a hairdresser so I have the benefit of getting free haircuts, but also having grown around it I learned the techniques around cutting hair. I have had chin length hair for some time now so it hasn't been a big deal to let it grow a little more, but whenever I need to trim it I do my best to layer it with the help of those seesaw looking scissors.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Recently started cutting my own hair, luckily I think my style and type of hair is fairly difficult to fuck up. I'm sure a professional could spot the mistakes from a mile away, but it's good enough for me and the casual observer.

I used clippers on #3 for the bottom and scissors on the top. The scissors in question were pretty dull, I need to get a new pair.

ALTDY2y.jpg

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I've not seen a barber in years. I just put a guard on clippers and shave it all off.

It's funny that I don't use a barber and now I have the longest hair I've had in decades. I guess since I didn't have to let my coworkers see me I took it as an opportunity to get past the transitional stage where my hair is too long to look kempt but too short for my curls to take shape. I ponder cutting it all off every single day.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
ulzVBeSJi4J26B_CFz1IvszqNfHIv3nRkdW70JLyYhbmyKXKvhBe4l4UGfUS8v7AGBeZcJTnYww_txaK-kLzFRSx3atf8_pDiGmFzTc1jGdJqV_t04_itroIHEf4Zbmzlr7vbtFpk4-Jbcun0qeqhrT2kgR_Xgk

First project I took on during the initial full out shutdown. Really fun and quite cheap. Then a really strong pair of clippers, some barber shears and a straight razor.

It's really not difficult, and being able to look your best whenever you want is really empowering.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I still do the old twist and cut. I get a fairly even cut and I let my wife do the back.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I got my own trimmers during lockdown and cut my hair in early June. It turned out okay. I had slightly more on top than I'd liked but it was fine.

With how awful the US situation is, I was hoping I only had to do one more self cut but probably not. I'm going to have to self trim it again in the next few weeks. It's getting long again.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
It takes some practice but I do my own fades. Just make use of those guards and practice. I like to start with longer guards first and work my way down so it's easier to fix any screw ups

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I cut my own hair regularly because I'm too lazy to go out to do it, but I'm lucky in that I have long, slightly wavy hair. So as long as it's close, no one really notices the uneven spots.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I cut my daughter's bangs a few weeks ago. It wasn't perfect but it wasn't terrible. I haven't done anything to mine. It's down to my chin now. But I had ponytail length before Feb so I'm just letting it grow out. Both my boys need cuts but I'm not up to doing a whole head.

Rsinart

Oct 27, 2017
I shave my own head weekly, haven't paid for a haircut in over 20 years. Again I like a shaved head so its super easy to do myself.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I've been cutting my own hair since high school, mostly similar style... nothing fancy, short on sides and back and longer on top.

A good pair of texturing scissors help lighten the heavier parts of the hair. Don't forget those.

As for clippers, don't cheap out and get a good set with good guides. Start with biggest guide in the beginning to get a feel then gradually go down until you get it short enough to where you want. Don't just go with 1/2 guide right of the bat. Also depending on style, you may or may not follow the natural curves of your head for the sides and back (ie low fade) and you want to taper it out as you go up.

Plenty of videos on YT to check out!

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
I've been cutting my own hair since high school, mostly similar style... nothing fancy, short on sides and back and longer on top.

A good pair of texturing scissors help lighten the heavier parts of the hair. Don't forget those.

As for clippers, don't cheap out and get a good set with good guides. Start with biggest guide in the beginning to get a feel then gradually go down until you get it short enough to where you want. Don't just go with 1/2 guide right of the bat. Also depending on style, you may or may not follow the natural curves of your head for the sides and back (ie low fade) and you want to taper it out as you go up.

Plenty of videos on YT to check out!

This is me. I need to learn how to get better on the top though. Never tried texturing scissors but that's probably exactly what I need. I feel i got the sides well enough. But I end up just buzzing the top at the longest clip i have and call it a day. Or just eye ball it if there's a section too long. Haha. Overall it saves SOOOO much money doing this.

OP
OP
healbite-maritima
Nov 26, 2018
Oh wow y'all have more complex hair than mine lol. I just have no idea how I'm gonna have a surefire way of measuring my ends evenly.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I cut my own bangs, but I feel like it's impossible for me to cut the rest of my hair myself. I wear a long shag, and the extreme layers would be so difficult to get right on the back of my head. At least it's a style that grows out well and I got my last cut in January. Come October it's gonna be frustratingly long, though.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
This is me. I need to learn how to get better on the top though. Never tried texturing scissors but that's probably exactly what I need. I feel i got the sides well enough. But I end up just buzzing the top at the longest clip i have and call it a day. Or just eye ball it if there's a section too long. Haha. Overall it saves SOOOO much money doing this.

hahahaha yeah prob over $10k easily for me saved in last 20 years

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I cut my hair for the first time ever and have cut it three times total now during the pandemic. It came it surprisingly good. You just need to have a clear vision of what you want and are hopefully at least a somewhat artistic person.

This is the tutorial I used OP to teach myself. It helped me tremendously.

I did finally have a haircut appointment a couple days ago. It was nice not spending 3 hours on my hair while sweating profusely lmao. Also my barber does a rad job.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Been cutting my own hair for years now, but then again I don't mind if it looks a bit messy. I can't afford a trip to a salon even before the pandemic, so I pretty much have to trim it myself.

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
I have African afro hair and I want to keep the fade alive for got one of these bad boys. So good
51ymxGTU0BL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

OP
OP
healbite-maritima
Nov 26, 2018

1225919484.g_0-w_g.jpg
I might need those flat shears, don't need the thinning ones. Where could I find these at?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been cutting my own hair for a decade or two. It's tricky at first but when you know what you're doing it's super easy.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Mine's getting pretty long (even though I've got a nice thinning patch up top) and at some point I'll probably just buy a pair of clippers and go the buzz cut route.

Maybe even go for a full shave if I'm feeling daring enough.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Hardest is the back but I just started using my hat as a stencil and it does it well enough. Kind bowl cut-y but it works well for whatever I'm trying to do.

I really need to get myself one of those trimming scissors though for the top

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
You should check with your regular barber or stylist, many of them are still cutting hair off the books or doing house calls.

Bums me out that so many people just give up and shave their heads. Hair is a gift, do something good with it! šŸ˜š

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I cut my hair for the first time ever and have cut it three times total now during the pandemic. It came it surprisingly good. You just need to have a clear vision of what you want and are hopefully at least a somewhat artistic person.

This is the tutorial I used OP to teach myself. It helped me tremendously.

I did finally have a haircut appointment a couple days ago. It was nice not spending 3 hours on my hair while sweating profusely lmao. Also my barber does a rad job.

This was actually really helpful thank you!!!

I've been cutting my own as well. It's not great, but it's getting the job done.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I normally get a 6 on the sides and a trim on top. but with coronavirus, I bought a pair of clippers online and do an 8 all over my whole head. It's not bad. It's basically what I already got, but the top is noticeably shorter.

The clippers I got are such a joke, though. The clipping part that actually moves back and forth to do the cutting is made out of plastic. I don't see these shits lasting me more than a few haircuts.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The only places locally that do outdoor cuts seem too expensive for my cheap ass. I finally ordered some clippers from Amazon as I'm about to hit the 6 month mark. Thought they'd be more expensive so that was a pleasant surprise.

Debating whether or not I should try and do my normal cut (trim up top, 3-2 tapered on the sides and back) or just cut it all using a longer guard length until stuff opens up again. Its like 3-4 inches long on the top and I'd feel like I'd just mess it up with scissors. Temples have some noticeable recession. Perhaps going shorter up top to see how I look might not be such idea.

Youtube videos seem helpful. I see a lot of corona self haircuts on there that aren't that bad. It may just be that they are attractive people posting them though lol The back seems like its gonna be a pain to do. I'm scared that I might accidentally cut too short and have to get a buzz cut but the guards should prevent that right? lol