• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 6, 2017
I don't know how I feel about this. 75k in an Ohio suburb? Sure. 75k in New York City or SF? Those people still need that money.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
With a stable two-person income in our household ...I'm in no position to complain so ... I'll just say .......

damnit.

For the last year I've been arguing against means testing and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't at least .... a little motivated by self interest.
LOL.

I'd actually spend it myself if I do get it.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
People flipped out over the $1400/$2000 confusion. Imagine what will happen if they change the recipients that much. That said, I'm down for those more in need getting it.

This is such bullshit. I live in one of the most expensive cities in the country and if you aren't making at least $100k you are probably living paycheck to paycheck. I don't make more than $75k a year and I still think these people deserve to get a stimmy. Every American citizen should get a stimmy. Even Bill Gates.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I'm fine with a 100k cap on families, 65k for individuals but if the data says you can go even lower, I'm willing to listen.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
That cap is ridiculously low for a family in a major metropolitan area

They ran on "elect us and we'll send you 2000 bucks," it's a very simple message and they are fucking it up because Democrats.

Oct 27, 2017
Economy is gonna need some serious defibrillation, may as well pay it all out.

Part of my thinking is that some people in that class will act irrationally about it and the amount is a small amount to pay to get them to shut up.

Like a kid crying when his brother gets slightly more ice cream.

And others do genuinely need that cause they're under water. 75k isn't a magical shield against this shit

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
The concept is sound (people who make more have a higher propensity to sock this money away rather than spend it as intended), but the way we're actually means testing is shit. What someone made in tax year 2019 is not a good indication of how they're faring now

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
You have to take into account a hell of a lot more than just income. I do well relative to my area but I couldn't do shit in a big city.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly agree with this. If you are making more than this and have some financial discipline you are not struggling. Can people in even some of the higher cost-of-living cities agree?

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
$75k in certain parts of the country like cities is like earning $28k in the countryside. wage numbers don't mean shit without context.
Yeah, I live in the PNW and I would probably be treading water or have poor QOL if I wasn't married with combined Income. I would be living like a king in the Mid West making over 75k though.

Hell, I don't know if I'll ever be able to own my own home here. I'll be renting for life.

Hazmat

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
$50k for an individual is barely anything in a lot of places. I want the money, but don't need it, so part of me understands, but everything has sucked so fucking much for a goddamned year now that I want the money.

Mar 3, 2019
Based on this 2019 source for household income, only about 53 percent of households would qualify for the stimulus based on household income. Thats laughable, especially when 75k is only 2 partners making 37k-ish a year

www.statista.com

Distribution of household income U.S. 2022 | Statista

In 2022, just over 50 percent of Americans had an annual household income that was less than 75,000 U.S.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
God forbid we help people that might not fully need it. Sure, there are families that need that money that will be excluded, but better to let those people starve than to give money to a family that will use it to pay down high interest credit card debt!

You just have to suffer just enough by arbitrary measurements to be deemed a person worthy of aid. It's profoundly cruel, and dare I say it, a violent subset of thoughts and beliefs.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I can't think of many cities where making 50k a year is living large. Most of them likely wouldn't be able to afford a 1BR apartment.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No means testing. Means testing is just a roadblock/deterrent to the people you supposedly want to help.

Oct 27, 2017
Very excited for more means-testing! Unsure how the limits applied to the $600 were even a problem, but I'll survive as a single individual without children. Plenty of people making as much as me in different situations may not, though.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Not against it on principle, but some adjustments would need to made based on area cost of living and relative buying power.

Oct 27, 2017
This amount of money will not affect the people they are pretending to try and exclude. It will have no affect giving or not giving to them. However, trying to keep them from getting with absolutely hurt the people struggling right now.

Nov 2, 2017
Fuck means testing. You want to do something like that, add some taxes on the back-end to require the money be paid back by high enough earners.

There's also the whole factor of how last year's income amount doesn't necessarily mean shit when it comes to your current financial situation. If you had a good job for most of 2019 and then lost it at the end of that year, the government should not be denying benefits because you had a good paying job a year and a half ago.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Yeah I understand that people at lower incomes are more likely to spend that money quickly, but the inefficiencies due to means testing also cost money, and it ends up screwing people in high cost of living areas.

I just did a cost of living calculator and picked a random city, if I moved from Boston to Kansas City MO I could have a similar quality of live on almost exactly half the salary. Having a one size fits all income ceiling is dumb

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
Lol it's threads like these that remind me I can't relate to a good portion of posters here

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Could they implement a cutoff like this and not base it on year old tax returns?

Like what if you made 75k+ on your 2019 return but have been out of work since March?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Just give people money! Then let the power of the free market do its magic! Otherwise it's too complicated."

Maybe it would be about time that the government finds a way to know when and where allocating resources can have the best impact. Could become useful.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I am pretty sure this would hurt people who live in expensive cost of living areas... it would hurt me that is for sure. We would barely be over and trust me, we are not doing great.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
if they dont just give everyone the money, re-elections will be rough. people remember shit like this.

Oct 27, 2017
The concept is sound (people who make more have a higher propensity to sock this money away rather than spend it as intended), but the way we're actually means testing is shit. What someone made in tax year 2019 is not a good indication of how they're faring now
Exactly. Send everybody the money now and then get it back on their 2021 taxes if they ended up earning more.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Piss off a bunch of people to save an arguably insignificant amount of money against a debt that doesn't matter.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly agree with this. If you are making more than this and have some financial discipline you are not struggling. Can people in even some of the higher cost-of-living cities agree?

Again, I make exactly $75,000. We are one major repair or hospital visit away from being screwed despite spending next to nothing on non-essentials.