• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Are they arguing that ALL the new hairstyles are racially coded and exclusive? I FINALLY have a curly hair option I identify as (not the one in the OP) and to gatekeep that on a perceived and expected stereotype of what white people hair texture can be (and likewise those inversely for black hair stereotypes) is WILD.

Oathkeeper

Apr 1, 2018
People saying 'it's just hair omg' are really showing their ignorance on the topic of the history of black hair and the prejudice against it in schools/workplaces/etc. It's easy to minimize the situation as being that simple but it's really not. Thanks for the links plactocplx.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
If black people want to be upset about it, that's fine. White people - once again - seem to be the vast majority of the offended party in this case, judging by the responses on Twitter.

That being said, if you are upset about it, you shouldn't fucking dox someone over a Nintendo game. And if you're white, don't get offended in the stead of black people.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Sometimes I can't help but think in trying to be as un-racist as possible, people accidentally end up course correcting so heavily that they end up racist, but in the opposite direction.

And what I mean by that is that almost every reaction that I've seen to that tweet has been by angry white people speaking FOR black people - Black people who don't get to speak for themselves enough as-is and don't need white people gatekeeping for them.

Sometimes people try to be an ally without actually understanding what it means to be one. Performative allyship is damaging in an insidious way that many white folk don't understand. Heart's in the right place, brain may still be playing catch up. This is just my personal experience though, I cannot speak for others.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
What the...

Enh0MQ3W8AQwEWH
Sweet fucking lord.

Why's everyone attacking her in particular? Does she have a bad history or something? It seems out of the blue....

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry chief but this ain't it. Every fandom can be "toxic". Especially once something reaches many people. And you really can't use this one tweet to characterize the whole community, thats an exhausting argument.

Read my post again. This isn't the first time the community has gotten toxic and dismissive against the black playerbase when it comes with their issues with the game's character creation options. The preceding mainline AC game, New Leaf, couldn't even let you change your skin tone other than going out and getting a temporary tan on summer days. The only black hairstyle in that game was a comically large afro wig headgear you can wear. Some players thought this was acceptable, argued it would putting undue burden on Nintendo to patch in via updates, and claimed it would clash with the aesthetics of the series if your villagers could have darker skin tones or black hairstyles.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever value might have been derived from this situation was lost by the super toxic response to it. As per usual.

If this is the only option for double buns there is nothing wrong with referring to it with various names of various styles which feature double buns.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Not really? Hair isn't the same texture at all.
In a cartoony game, I'd say it's close enough.

I haven't played Animal Crossing, but my understanding is that part of the point of the game is self-expression, right? Taking the pieces given to you and putting them together in the way you want to make the thing you want?

If I put the "air vent" lego on the bottom of a thing and call it a hovercraft, that's not inaccuracy, that's creativity. If she's taking an "afro puff" hairstyle and putting it on a white avatar and seeing it as "space buns," that sounds fine to me. If she wants to then decorate her home with a bunch of beds and a swing, maybe a camera on a tripod or something, and call it her sex dungeon, well, you do you.

Seems like she's clearly not trying to appropriate a black hairstyle, she's trying to represent a white (or at least white-acceptable; I don't know the full history of "space buns") hairstyle in a game with limited options.

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, I've seen a lot of white women put their hair in buns like that, not trying to emulate afro buns, just a different way of putting their hair up.

The game not labelling the hair style and the art style being what it is, it's not clear that they aren't "space buns" if you didn't know what the hair style was supposed to be.

Mar 10, 2018
It's not my say, as I am not a black woman.

I will just chime in that people should be aware of the cultural history behind the aesthetic features they choose in games.

Deleted member 60135

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 21, 2019
Read my post again. This isn't the first time the community has gotten toxic and dismissive against the black playerbase when it comes with their issues with the game's character creation options. The preceding mainline AC game, New Leaf, couldn't even let you change your skin tone other than going out and getting a temporary tan on summer days. The only black hairstyle in that game was a comically large afro wig headgear you can wear. Some players thought this was acceptable, argued it wohls putting undue burden on developers to add in updates, and claimed it would clash with the aesthetics of the series if your villagers could have darker skin tones or black hairstyles.

Gonna get a "yikes" on that last bit, just outright saying black people can't be in a cute game

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Here's the thing, I don't believe the tweet had any malice towards cultural appropriation and that person probably have heard that hair style called "space buns" (never heard it called that before) but please understand the context for people of color.

Hair, especially when it comes to black people, gets unnecessarily complicated. Black people's hair has been targeted countless times for being "unprofessional" or "nappy" or any other culturally offensive thing you can think of. When it comes to video gaming in particular, video games are HORRIBLE when it comes to proper black hairstyles.

I'm a black male with medium sized dreads (like quarter back), I cannot tell you how many times I could not find video game avatar options that had hair styles that look like mine despite dreadlocks being very common black hair styles. Afro Puffs (or in this case "space buns") are damn near never represented in video games. So the fact that an update added this, which I'm pretty sure now a ton of black women can set for their avatar, means a big deal to inclusion to the game.

Now does that mean non people of color can't wear that hairstyle? Of course not. But the outcry comes from years of black hairstyles being disrespected and as soon as a white leaning hair blog takes a traditional black hair style and changes its name it suddenly becomes trendy, which is why people are upset. This shit happens constantly whether its intentional or not.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's a hair style in a goddamn Nintendo game.

When people get outraged over this complete nonsense shit, it totally dilutes ACTUAL complaints of real things PoC have to go thru every single day.
See, the thing that makes me uncomfortable with this kind of take is that I've seen this same line of reasoning used to silence minorities, like when Hari Kondabolu produced a documentary and people (even on this forum!) dismissed it as a bunch of performative outrage from white people.

Not everyone is equally distant from the subject matter when it comes to ethnic and cultural concerns, and dismissing all concerns as performative often presents all actors as being detached and only approaching the topic academically.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Anecdotally, I've seen a lot of white women put their hair in buns like that, not trying to emulate afro buns, just a different way of putting their hair up.

The game not labelling the hair style and the art style being what it is, it's not clear that they aren't "space buns" if you didn't know what the hair style was supposed to be.
It's pretty clear that the hair is different from the straight hair options tho? Like compare the puff hairstyles to how they did cornrows in the game.
Switch_ACNH_2020_DecUpdate_SCRN_21.jpeg

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Are they arguing that ALL the new hairstyles are racially coded and exclusive? I FINALLY have a curly hair option I identify as (not the one in the OP) and to gatekeep that on a perceived and expected stereotype of what white people hair texture can be (and likewise those inversely for black hair stereotypes) is WILD.

Feeling bad for people who have curly and/or straight hair and don't fall into the assumed hair texture like this person here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Animal Crossing is kind of weird because people seem to have different ideas of if the character is "you" or just an avatar. I pretty much always make characters that don't look anything like me but it kind of makes me wonder if that's equivalent to blackface in some cases, at least, I'm sure some people would see it that way and it makes me a bit uneasy.

At least, maybe if someone calls you out for calling a hairstyle "space buns" I think you could at least reflect.

The term "space buns" accurately describes the hairstyle though. It was made popular in the US (and Europe) in the 90's by both Sailor Moon and the Spice Girls.

Not like the double bun was new to the US though. It was pretty popular in the early 80's thanks to Star Wars and Princess Leia.

As another poster pointed out, the double bun also has a long history in Asian cultures.

It's not a hairstyle that is specifically racially coded, but rather one that has been widely used by multiple races and cultures.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
The people who are upset about this should petition Nintendo to restrict the hairstyles to black characters only. Until that happens you can't criticize people for using the feature. Ultimately it is up to Nintendo to allow these hair styles to be used by all and harassing people who do use them serves no one.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
I think there's probably a nuanced discussion to be had here, but the twitter dogpile is very cringe

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Read my post again. This isn't the first time the community has gotten toxic and dismissive against the black playerbase when it comes with their issues with the game's character creation options. The preceding mainline AC game, New Leaf, couldn't even let you change your skin tone other than going out and getting a temporary tan on summer days. The only black hairstyle in that game was a comically large afro wig headgear you can wear. Some players thought this was acceptable, argued it would putting undue burden on Nintendo to patch in via updates, and claimed it would clash with the aesthetics of the series if your villagers could have darker skin tones or black hairstyles.
Yeah the skin tone representation and fall-out from it was really bad in the AC community. The developers should've known better and it shouldn't have taken them this long to get proper representation in the game. Nintendo isn't always great when it comes to these things and toxic fans don't make it any better. My point was this isn't AC specific but rather a larger issue in many Nintenedo/ internet communities. I see what you mean though.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This is dumb. The item you need to buy to get these hairstyles is called 'Top 6 Stylish Hairstyles' and the only picture you see before you buy it is a girl with a ponytail. "Going out of her way to be racist" makes zero sense because of the above alone. The only way to know what these 6 hairstyles are before you buy the item is by looking it up on the internet.

This item also includes the bald haircut. Would that make me a racist too if I make my character bald? I wouldn't have access to the hairstyle without "going out of my way to be racist" according to the person in the tweets. So every bald white guy on the planet is racist according to her. What the hell?

edit: Talking about the girl responding to the tweet in the OP, not the actual girl in OP's tweet.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still can't believe it took the vast majority of a year to get frigging afros in this game

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The fact that something like this was deemed a serious enough infraction to warrant a bunch of people screaming at someone else is prime example of why Twitter is such a shit place.

Deleted member 60135

Banned
Sep 21, 2019
In a cartoony game, I'd say it's close enough.

I haven't played Animal Crossing, but

Maybe sit this one out chief

The term "space buns" accurately describes the hairstyle though. It was made popular in the US (and Europe) in the 90's by both Sailor Moon and the Spice Girls.

Not like the double bun was new to the US though. It was pretty popular in the early 80's thanks to Star Wars and Princess Leia.

As another poster pointed out, the double bun also has a long history in Asian cultures.

It's not a hairstyle that is specifically racially coded, but rather one that has been widely used by multiple races and cultures.

The "space buns" here have a very specific, racially coded texture. Trying to invoke Asian hair buns fails because that style is already a wig in game.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Drive-by in a thread on representation
wtf is wrong with people. Always trying to find the littlest thing to get offended about.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
This is exactly why I have like 4 Twitter post in a decade and every time I think about starting a Twitch or a Youtube channel I just don't.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
OK, I will say that; as a black person, I don't think it's a terrible thing for a white person to use afro hairstyles for their in-game avatar. However, calling them "space buns" is definitely not OK, as it's just thinly veiled cultural appropriation at that point. You call it what it is; AFRO PUFFS.

Also I might as well say that the idea that white people should never use the afro centric hairstyles in any game with character customization is so far off base from what's actually important. Losing the plot with that one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been following this so I have no idea of the scale, but generally, I think that when it evolves from criticism to harassment it's most likely gone too far. I'm not going to tell black people what they should think of as important, though, or how they should feel about potential cultural appropriation.

It's not like this exists in a vacuum either - every time Ariana Grande comes up, I'm left reeling from remembering that she's Italian.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about, harassing someone because of their animal crossing character's hairstyle is too much. I get making someone aware or providing a different point of view, but there's a reasonable limit.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
If black people want to be upset about it, that's fine. White people - once again - seem to be the vast majority of the offended party in this case, judging by the responses on Twitter.

You just took the words out of my mouth.
It seems like it's always white people getting offended by this kinda of crap. It's like they think us black/minorities folks need their pity and their protections because we are weak or something.

The only thing we ask is to leaves us the fuck alone and threat us as equals.

This is tiresome.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Hahah, honestly, kinda? I just got one for the first time a month ago... so still getting familiar how it works as a social media platform.

I would recommend staying out of it unless you have a good control of social media OR need it for work purposes. It can be a horrible place, specially when you can get most of the same information in much healthier channels.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
It shouldn't matter at all on who uses the hairstyle, now.. calling it "Space Buns" or even not acknowledging the fact that these hairstyles were to give more options to anyone black, then... yeah

Deleted member 70647

Banned
May 31, 2020
right???? i'm white and have freaking crazy huge curly hair, i love seeing more curly hair options, gatekeeping hair is weird.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018

That being said, if you are upset about it, you shouldn't fucking dox someone over a Nintendo game. And if you're white, don't get offended in the stead of black people.

Yea this is the common sentiment among people I've discussed it with. Most don't really care outside of correcting the name.

Just another situation escalated that racists try to use to excuse their racism like they always try to do cause they're shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.