• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
A.I. should have ended at the underwater fade to black.

Skip the epilogue and just roll credits for a better film.
Came here to say exactly this.

frozen-blue-fairy.jpg

Nov 1, 2017
Have we learned nothing from The Desolation of Smaug? Audiences need (and deserve) the emotional punch of watching something like that at the conclusion of everything else in the film. Ending on the snap itself might deliver a very immediate and visceral impact but actually getting a glimpse of what it does to the world and where it leaves the protagonists after everything they've endured is a much more resonant emotional beat.

I think the Fury/Hill postcredits scene is a tantalizing enough glimpse of a post-snap world

Oct 27, 2017
People want the Vader scene cut from Rogue One?! Are you guys insane?!

It's easily the best moment of an average film and one of my favourite movie scenes of the last five years.

My vote is Mr. Brooks, a movie where Kevin Costner is a serial killer. Take the last few minutes of "it was just a dream" off the end and you have a brutal ending that implies being a sadistic murderer is a genetic inevitability. It was brilliant until they copped out.

Dec 13, 2018
Any movie that needs to explicitly show you that everyone is okay and happy after the main conflict is resolved and that's obviously the case

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
He like...basically steals another mans life and body and erases him from existence and the implications of it are handwaved away in favor of a generic happy ending...when it's extremely fucked up.

To be fair, if not for him, that man would not have lived either way. I know, still fucked up, but kinda a bit more stomachable.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
To everyone saying Infinity War should have ended after the Snap... No.

Because instead of the emotional scenes of watching everyone fade away one by one, we would anticlimactically know who survives the minute the first Endgame trailer came out.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I entered the thread to say this.
And you only need to cut around 30 seconds actually.
The Witch is a great movie as is but leave the ending ambiguous and you've got a masterpiece.

I love the film to death and dont really mind the ending, personally I'd have cut the 2 scenes containing

the actual Witch earlier in the film. The mystery and paranoia surrounding the film was slightly dulled by these scenes in my opinion.

Not really on topic but still.

WallSniper

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
To everyone saying Infinity War should have ended after the Snap... No.

Because instead of the emotional scenes of watching everyone fade away one by one, we would anticlimactically know who survives the minute the first Endgame trailer came out.

You'd also miss out on the great
kid Gamora scene to tie up that plot

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that no one has mentioned Lincoln, which should have ended with Abe and Mary Todd walking together down the stairs to go to Ford's Theater.

Lincoln was the first movie I thought of too. But I would have ended it on the shot where Lincoln is walking down the hallway. Sorry this is vague (it's been six years!) but it's near the end. I just don't see what the movie gained by having the assassination.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I really hate the ending of Arrival, and think the movie would've been better without the part where they basically explain everything, the last ten or fifteen minutes. In a movie about the power of language, let the power of cinema narrative explain the story (in other words, let people put the puzzle together themselves) instead of pushing it down their throat by explaining it as if we were idiots. Great movie otherwise though.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I am legend would have been a pretty damn solid movie without that shitshow of an ending, of course cutting it early means no satisfactory conclusion in itself, but anything would be better than what we got. For me the movie ends when the dog dies (which is kind of fucked up to say...) but after that point what once was a pretty solid flick turns into a different far worse movie.
I Am Legend was my first thought, as well.

(Also the CG zombies look pretty baaaad especially by today's standards.)

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I love The Dark Knight, but the movie goes on for too long and tries to cram too much into the third act. Unfortunately there's not a clean way to cut it. It would need a script rewrite in order to move Harvey's transformation into Two Face to the third film.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The Suspiria remake is a good, but very bloated movie. Not only should it have ended after the batshit insane segment
when Suzie revealed herself to be Mother Suspiriorum and kills all of the witches
, but it didn't need like a good hour's worth of footage in the 2nd act.

I remember when The Descent had the last 60 seconds cut from the original ending, and it brought the movie down many notches only to setup a terrible sequel.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Cut the scenes at the end of the credits in every movie, especially Marvel films with 10 minute long credits. Put the scene early during the credits or GTFO.

Jota typeZERO

Nov 3, 2017
Spain
Fast & Furious 6. I thought it should be the last movie in the series, and had a nice ending and all that...but the post-credits really screwed that. I am still feeling that tying up Tokyo Drift between 6 and 7 wasn't a good idea. Not to me, at the least.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
You can cut the last 30 seconds from Mann's The Insider and not lose much. Always thought the switch to slow motion seemed out of place from the rest of the movie.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
The Force Awakens should have ended when the super weapon is destroyed.

The whole point of that movie was to find Luke Skywalker. That final scene is so incredibly satisfying.

Not to mention you'd be cutting off the awesome Jedi Steps music track if it didn't exist.

But I did say, earlier in this thread, that the final spinning shot of this movie is truly awful. And Rey and Luke making faces at each other in silence went on seconds too long also.

Oct 27, 2017
I would do the reverse for Carlito's Way. The intro to the movie spoils most of the end of the movie, should've cut that whole intro out imo. Some people like it, but I thought it was dumb.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
End 10 Cloverfield Lane right when
she gets on top of the truck and sees the alien ship coming for her

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
I would cut everything after the first 47ish mins on Hancock.

People wanted asshole Superman, not. . .whatever the hell that movie turned into after that point.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Threads like these make me glad some of you will never get your paws on any kind of creative media.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. It went from a bleak film
to stupid fucking cult stuff. There were ways to bring that stuff in without the awful ending scene in the tree house.

And arguably, they did. But it went from being supremely malevolent and creept to laughable with the resurrection scene.
But the entire film is built around the ending?

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I think speculation from the snap would dominate the conversation just as much as that overwrought Spider-Man nonsense. Probably less memes tho.
The vast majority of people would just be talking about how stupid the ending was. In fact it wasn't an ending at all. It's a cliff hanger. It truly turns the film into a part 1. The ending would have become a meme, but not in a good way. People would have been making fun of how the biggest movie of the year turned into a cheap TV show cliffhanger.

You mentioned there would be audible gasps if the movie ended with a snap. There would have been boos if anything.

Good movies have a beginning, middle, and end. Your edit inexplicably cuts the ending of the film.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shawshank should've ended about a minute earlier with Morgan Freeman on the bus. He literally says

I find I'm so excited that I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at a start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Then they're like /hard cut/ "he made it, here you go. BYE!"

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Not quite the ending but I've always felt that cutting the penultimate 30 second scene in Contact would leave it a much stronger film. That scene subverts one of the central themes and tensions in the film. The audience should share in the ambiguity and questions that the characters are left with.