• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
How would my Xbox know what games I am going to play at any time? I'm definitely playing 5ish games at any given time and rotating games out frequently. That's being conservative with Gamepass now a big part of how I game.

checken mutation dates of files is superquick. Even if you have 750 savefiles, finding out which ones need to be synced shouldnt take more then a few milliseconds.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disagree since I have multiple Xbox's in the house I can log on to any one of them and continue my progress with no effort. When I try that with PS4 it's an annoying process

That's for a different reason, because Sony makes you pay to upload your saves to the cloud, Microsoft does not.

This still doesn't make what's happening here good, why wouldn't it default to local copy if there's no internet connection?

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to. It's trying - and failing - to connect online to grab the cloud saves.
Set your console as offline and it'll use local saves without any issue.
But only if you first "set it up" with a connection.

Like I said before, the issue is that people only see the need to setup offline with a connection when they don't have one.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
But only if you first "set it up" with a connection.

Like I said before, the issue is that people only see the need to setup offline with a connection when they don't have one.

Worth reporting this as a patch request, then.
Saying it is an 'utterly broken system' is more than a tad bit hyperbolic.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
That's for a different reason, because Sony makes you pay to upload your saves to the cloud, Microsoft does not.

This still doesn't make what's happening here good, why wouldn't it default to local copy if there's no internet connection?

If your internet goes down without you realising, starting from a local save could overwrite a newer cloud save. Microsoft obviously wants to grab the most recent save possible which it can only do if it checks the cloud. What it should probably do is tell you date and time of your last local save and ask if you want to continue from that instead of making you go offline.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If your internet goes down without you realising, starting from a local save could overwrite a newer cloud save. Microsoft obviously wants to grab the most recent save possible which it can only do if it checks the cloud. What it should probably do is tell you date and time of your last local save and ask if you want to continue from that instead of making you go offline.

That seems like a better solution. Although I don't quite get the use case. You start a game, it saves locally and on the cloud. You move to a place where you don't have Internet the first couple of days, why wouldn't the local save be there? Does it get cleaned up when you boot out of the game or something? Seems like weird logic anyway.

Worth reporting this as a patch request, then.
Saying it is an 'utterly broken system' is more than a tad bit hyperbolic.

Utterly broken in this case refers to the fact this user cannot play their games offline because they're offline and they can't tell Microsoft they're offline unless they're online. Which is pretty silly you have to admit.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utterly broken in this case refers to the fact this user cannot play their games offline because they're offline and they can't tell Microsoft they're offline unless they're online. Which is pretty silly you have to admit.

Unless they preempt being offline by telling them that they will be offline, while being online, in the future and would like to use offline without having to go online to tell them they are offline.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it uses cloud saves as primary how do you manipulate save data? Like backing up your profile save on Borderlands, spending gold keys, then restoring the save to get all your keys back.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless they preempt being offline by telling them that they will be offline, while being online, in the future and would like to use offline without having to go online to tell them they are offline.

gbgif6.gif

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
That seems like a better solution. Although I don't quite get the use case. You start a game, it saves locally and on the cloud. You move to a place where you don't have Internet the first couple of days, why wouldn't the local save be there? Does it get cleaned up when you boot out of the game or something? Seems like weird logic anyway.

It's for if the game was played on a different console or PC. I'm not sure why OP didn't have his save given that it seems like he was only using the one console.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Because if your console suddenly pops back online you will have an issue. Putting it in offline mode prevents any kind of overwrites which is the best way to do it

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus these topics are always full of misinformation by suspect console warriorzzzz.

Um, yes they can. They don't need to be online to set their console to offline mode.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Um, yes they can. They don't need to be online to set their console to offline mode.

Have you read the thread?

Jesus these topics are always full of misinformation by suspect console warriorzzzz.

Like that post was a bit cheeky but the fact that you responded so aggressively leads me to believe you're projecting here quite a bit. Grow up.

Because if your console suddenly pops back online you will have an issue. Putting it in offline mode prevents any kind of overwrites which is the best way to do it

Wouldn't it better to give the user a choice like what Cyberclops stated earlier in the thread?

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Have you read the thread?

Like that post was a bit cheeky but the fact that you responded so aggressively leads me to believe you're projecting here quite a bit. Grow up.

Wouldn't it better to give the user a choice like what Cyberclops stated earlier in the thread?

A choice of what exactly? I have no idea what people are complaining about in here. Right now if i played Halo last night while online and shut it off my system will now have that gamesave and the cloud will have that gamesave. If I wake up the next day and my internet is dead i can go on offline mode and continue from that save on console and as soon as i get back online my console save will be pushed to the cloud and i believe it will actually ask you if you want to overwite. I guess it depends on how you see things. I hate the fact that its not an automatic process with the PS4 because you have too many chances to overwite the data you want and with Xbox ive never had to worry and its always worked.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I think it does do something like that in rest mode. Honestly, whichever way is best. I have only had minor issues with this in my 6 years with the system so if they 'fix' it and it makes it a worse experience, I would be disappointed.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Probably not the issue, but have you tried games other than AssCreed? I've played games during internet outages before and not had problem (not sure what other factors were involved though) and Ubi has a history of sneaking in what is effectively DRM through cloud features.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
I do not have this issue if my console is offline. I do get a notification achievements are disabled but will sync up when I am online next. Sounds like something else is going on.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
You don't need to. It's trying - and failing - to connect online to grab the cloud saves.
Set your console as offline and it'll use local saves without any issue.

This makes far more sense. You'd think a good OS would do this automatically after a being unable to detect an internet connection.

This shouldn't really be a manual setting the user has to mess around with. MS is just making work for themselves as people like the OP won't know this and will bombard MS help and CS with unnecessary traffic.

Fair enough its not a design flaw but its still an oversight for a modern console OS.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The fact that there might be a manual workaround isn't the point. It's clear that the Xbox One's OS at it's heart is still meant to be always online like it was pre-release. The few times I've tried using it offline, features that shouldn't need online, such as Pins, go away, and parts of it slow down, such as accessing media files on a USB stick.

If these things are improved by changing a setting, then said setting ought to be changed automatically.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that local saves aren't the default (first place it looks) for the OS... strange choice imo.

Actually its not that weird. If you have multiple consoles the cloud one will be the most up to date. The local may lag behind as one console may have an older local save.

MS syncs your saves with the latest when you go online. If it detects a discrepancy it will typically ask if you want to use the local or cloud.

Think of this situation if local was default:

1. Using one console online and save is backed up to cloud
2. Log into another console which is not online. Start playing an older saved game and progress
3. You now have an online save and an offline save on another console. How is MS supposed to know which one you want
4. You take the offline console online and MS will ask you if you want to use the offline save or the cloud save. Depending on which you chose it will now make that the primary on the cloud and thus update all consoles.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Accessing you game saves is an online feature?

Op is trying to play sp games offline.

Did you even read the op before rushing to MS's defense?

MS does not know which save is your primary and defaults to the online one which is syncs across your account and all consoles.

An offline console will not have these saves and you can progress all you want. The moment you go online, MS has a conflict that they need to resolve.

If you always defaulted to offline you could have 5 separate save profiles for your game. Which is the primary, how do they know? They will at some point ask you to pick.

You can't have cloud saves across your account without making the cloud sync the default.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The saves are stored locally (they sync between machines when you boot a game)

You need to go to the network settings and set the machine to offline.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Actually its not that weird. If you have multiple consoles the cloud one will be the most up to date. The local may lag behind as one console may have an older local save.

MS syncs your saves with the latest when you go online. If it detects a discrepancy it will typically ask if you want to use the local or cloud.

Think of this situation if local was default:

1. Using one console online and save is backed up to cloud
2. Log into another console which is not online. Start playing an older saved game and progress
3. You now have an online save and an offline save on another console. How is MS supposed to know which one you want
4. You take the offline console online and MS will ask you if you want to use the offline save or the cloud save. Depending on which you chose it will now make that the primary on the cloud and thus update all consoles.

I don't disagree with that at all. I'm more suggesting that it should check for local copy if no internet is available automatically without the user having to put the system into offline mode. It should just be a seamless check for local save, internet connection, and then (if available) cloud saves and then (if necessary) determine which one to use or prompt the user.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Very much so. I always assumed that the saves were local and then saved to the cloud afterwards.

They are, you can see them in the manage games option.
If the save isn't on your local machine then it will download the cloud save.

If the cloud save an local save are different, it will ask you which one is the current save and that overrides them both

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
They are, you can see them in the manage games option.
If the save isn't on your local machine then it will download the cloud save.

If the cloud save an local save are different, it will ask you which one is the current save and that overrides them both
Ah okay that's a good solution.
So the main problem here is that the console wasn't set to offline and therefore tried and failed to check if the local and cloud save was the same?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ah okay that's a good solution.
So the main problem here is that the console wasn't set to offline and therefore tried and failed to check if the local and cloud save was the same?

I'd imagine so, the console still doesn't time out and tries to do all this normal stuff and causes itself errors.
Some games don't know the console is offline and does the same thing, one of the old AC games couldn't get past the title screen unless it knew it wouldn't be able to connect (via the Os)

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
MS does not know which save is your primary and defaults to the online one which is syncs across your account and all consoles.

An offline console will not have these saves and you can progress all you want. The moment you go online, MS has a conflict that they need to resolve.

If you always defaulted to offline you could have 5 separate save profiles for your game. Which is the primary, how do they know? They will at some point ask you to pick.

You can't have cloud saves across your account without making the cloud sync the default.

That's a poorly designed system.

You absolutely can have cloud saves with the local save being the master. You just use the online as back-up only.... you know... exactly how it works on PS3 and PS4 and Steam.

You're quite incorrect.