• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
As the title says, I just moved into a new apartment and am still in the process of getting fiber installed. I thought I could still just play some single-player games offline, but it appears that I can't even access my latest save data without being on the internet.

Is there a workaround? I have it saved locally but it's still asking for me to connect to sync the data. I played AC Odyssey for a few hours over the weekend, did quick save, and now that progress appears to be gone.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Is it possible to tether your phone to your console for a little bit to verify and get it into offline mode?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
As the title says, I just moved into a new apartment and am still in the process of getting fiber installed. I thought I could still just play some single-player games offline, but it appears that I can't even access my latest save data without being on the internet.

Is there a workaround? I have it saved locally but it's still asking for me to connect to sync the data. I played AC Odyssey for a few hours over the weekend, did quick save, and now that progress appears to be gone.

Do you have Hotspot on your phone?

Edit: beaten. Badly

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Kinda in the same boat, except I am in a hotel. Xbox live/achievement tracking doesn't work when connected to this shitty hotel wifi that tries to fuck you over.

My Switch works okay though, so idk. It's frustrating. #firstworldproblems

odbilal

Avenger
Jan 22, 2018
While the hot spot will help solve his issue, its weird that the save files arent saved locally.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The game tries to sync local saves with online at the start of the software/when closing it. Go into the menu to force offline mode and it won't look and use whatever is local

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You need to go into offline mode so it stops trying to grab your cloud saves. Go into the network settings and just select "go offline." Even though you don't have internet access your Xbox is probably still in online mode, it just isn't connecting to anything.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
You shouldn't have to manually put your console into offline mode. The cloud save should be the backup and the local save the primary.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Go in offline mode. it's done this way because Xbox gives you unlimited cloud storage and your game saves are always up to date and with you in the cloud.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
You need to go into offline mode so it stops trying to grab your cloud saves. Go into the network settings and just select "go offline." Even though you don't have internet access your Xbox is probably still in online mode, it just isn't connecting to anything.
This. was just about to post this.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You shouldn't have to manually put your console into offline mode. The cloud save should be the backup and the local save the primary.
Disagree since I have multiple Xbox's in the house I can log on to any one of them and continue my progress with no effort. When I try that with PS4 it's an annoying process

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Weird that it doesnt automatically switch to the local save when it knows it cant get the online save.

I look forward to the day where the console creators learns about user experience.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that it doesnt automatically switch to the local save when it knows it cant get the online save.

I look forward to the day where the console creators learns about user experience.

It does though, and they added local save management in one of the first uipdates. idk what OP's issue is, sounds game specific since they say they do have the saves locally

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If it's on the same console shouldn't it be there locally? Sucks that OP lost 2 hours, but at least he can play. Don't know why that's the case.
It is there locally but the system tends to favour the cloud version since it should be the most up to date. The system is capable of playing offline but it always wants to check online for updated saves.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Or he can set his console in offline mode and play just fine but it's more fun to spread FUD, am I right?
It's pretty stupid from a user experience perspective. There's no reason for a usdr to need to understand the existence of an offline mode.

The Xbox should switch automatically to the local save.

This is Microsoft creating Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt because the user thinks their save data is not on their local console.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty stupid from a user experience perspective. There's no reason for a usdr to need to understand the existence of an offline mode.

The Xbox should switch automatically to the local save.

This is Microsoft creating Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt because the user thinks their save data is not on their local console.

It makes sense when you consider the seamless nature of being able to play your games on multiple systems or the PC with little to no interruption. I can get off my Xbox so my gf can watch TV and pick up right where I left off on my PC and providing an offline mode option so I can enjoy this feature is hardly a big deal. Regardless, it doesn't require an always online connection, which is what the last poster was saying.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that local saves aren't the default (first place it looks) for the OS... strange choice imo.
I agree, it should be something that is setup on initialization, funny thing is, you only find out about it when you need to use offline and have no connection available, and it then asks you to connect to the internet to play offline without a connection.

So yeah, it's a bit odd.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Did you delete everything before you moved? Game saves stay local to unless you delete them.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I agree, it should be something that is setup on initialization, funny thing is, you only find out about it when you need to use offline and have no connection available, and it then asks you to connect to the internet to play offline without a connection.

So yeah, it's a bit odd.

Exactly. Just check if there's a local save then check if there's a cloud save (if internet connection available) then use the newer of the two.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
If you played online on Sunday, it would have backed up. If you played offline after that, you would need to go online to sync it up.
I think this is what happened. I tethered to my iPhone for a bit while I was playing so it must've uploaded the save to the cloud then... the only problem is now it needs a 5GB update and I can't swing that with a hotspot... but no fear, the fiber installation is happening as we speak. So I will have my save today.