• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Idk if this is controversial but i love the switch but only because i didn't own a Wii U.

The only Switch only Games that are amazing are Mario Odyssey and Smash for me. I guess you can half count Zelda it was on the Wii U but was clearly marketed as a Switch Game later on.

The other Games i truly love are just Wii U Ports/Ports in general. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta, Pikmin, Mario 3d All Stars etc.

Many of their Switch only Games kinda dissapointed me. Astral Chain, Luigis Mansion 3, Yoshis Crafted World.
There are also quite a few Switch Games i haven't played like Splatoon 2 which i am sure is awesome as well as Fire Emblem but even though i am satisfied with the Switch it's only because i didn't own a Wii U.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
For games that I care about not even close.

I realize my experience is skewed because I got BOTW on Wii U, but aside from BOTW2 I can't think of a single announced Switch game that I'm looking forward to (unless you count Metroid Prime 4, but I'm pretty sure at this point that will end up being a Switch 2 game).

I think it's a great piece of hardware but I'm disappointed that we haven't really seen the equivalent of smaller scale 3DS games from Nintendo now that all those teams are freed up.

I really expected Nintendo's output on Switch to resemble the output of previous Nintendo home consoles and handhelds combined, ending droughts, but that hasn't really happened.

At the very least they should port 3D Land, Link Between Worlds, and Samus Returns to Switch. I'd double dip for those.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
To elaborate on my last post: I had more fun with the SNES, DS, Wii, GBA and Game Cube tbh. Even the N64 had more titles that appealed to me.

I think the Wii in particular gets treated unfairly in these discussions. People seem very willing to include all of the ENDLESS ports as part of the 'Switch library', but the Wii doesn't get the same benefit for some reason? Because it did all of this so much better! It had ports, in addition to backwards compatibility with the GameCube and an absolutely gargantuan and unprecedented Virtual Console library. And the first party output was still better than the Switch overall.

That said...the Switch does have a chance to rise up the ladder. Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4 and New Pokemon Snap all impressing would be a good start. Throw in another (and hopefully better) 3D Mario game, another Fire Emblem actually developed by IS, a 2D Metroid that isn't yet another remake and a brand new single-player IP or two and it would be in the conversation for me at least.

Maybe we'll see some of the other studios right their wrongs as well, and actually release a good Pokemon, Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Party and 2D Zelda game, too.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
The problem with most indie games for me is the physics/controls always feel off. Whether it's VVVVVV or Super Meat Boy or the millions of Metroidvanias, they rarely feel right for me.

If most indie games were as good as Downwell, I'd enjoy them more.

Try Gato Robato, or Celeste in that case. Hades also has extremely tight and responsive controls.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Idk if this is controversial but i love the switch but only because i didn't own a Wii U.

The only Switch only Games that are amazing are Mario Odyssey and Smash for me. I guess you can half count Zelda it was on the Wii U but was clearly marketed as a Switch Game later on.

The other Games i truly love are just Wii U Ports/Ports in general. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta, Pikmin, Mario 3d All Stars etc.

Many of their Switch only Games kinda dissapointed me. Astral Chain, Luigis Mansion 3, Yoshis Crafted World.
There are also quite a few Switch Games i haven't played like Splatoon 2 which i am sure is awesome as well as Fire Emblem but even though i am satisfied with the Switch it's only because i didn't own a Wii U.
See, that's the reason I don't like the Switch that much, Wii U was my first Nintendo console and to see Switch is basically recycling that library ad nauseum doesn't appeal to me in any way

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
As a console, it is their best concept by far.

The library is good, but without ports it wouldn't be as much. So not quite there yet.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is. It's got a fantastic library of new and older stuff, including a lot of games Nintendo never managed to get before. If you were to make me choose only one console to keep, it'd be that one.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
I remember enjoying my GameBoy muuuuuch more but that may just be nostalgia. Probably doesn't help that I have a pretty sour taste because the console is supposed to be modern but lacks features similarly priced consoles have.

And a lot of the games just aren't what I think they should be. Pokemon being the primary example.

Edit: I would imagine "Wii" would be the fairest answer. It pulled in everyone including people who don't like video games.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Not even close. It probably has one of the weakest 1st party content of any mainline ninty home console

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
For me the last time Nintendo wasn't basically an afterthought is still the SNES, and at this point that probably isn't going to change.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
SNES still holds that title for me, but the Switch is a close second.

I was a Nintendo kid growing up. NES, SNES, N64, but then after that I started to lean towards Sony. By the time the Wii came out I thought Nintendo had given up on gamers like me and focused more on motion controls and the casual market. Basically skipped out on the GameCube, Wii and Wii U.

The Switch is the first Nintendo system I've had in generations and I absolutely love it. They've embrcaed us traditional gamers again. It feels great

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think it has some good titles on it but I think the issue for me is that so many of the ports are really quite bad. Hades, Gungeon, Dead Cells are some of my favourite games from this generation, and the Switch just feels like such a bad place to play those games.

I think that Nintendo's first party offering is very good, but it does always tend to be. I'd put the DS, Gamecube and SNES ahead of the Switch for me, personally. That might change over time but I don't think the quality of third party titles is likely to, if anything they're likely to get worse as next gen games on PS5 and X1 tend to demand more from their systems.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
At this point the Switch is my most disliked Nintendo console ever. So no, it's the polar opposite to me.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Hardware-wise, I think it's up there. It's sleek, "powerful enough", very practical with being both handheld and dockable. Oh, big minus for the constantly deteriorating joy-con though.

Software in general, I've never had as many games to play on a Nintendo console as on Switch, for sure! So many great indies make sure I've always had something to play.

But where it's not even close is Nintendo's own original releases. I buy a Nintendo console mainly to play their first party games, and there's still only Mario Odyssey and Smash Bros Ultimate up there (I played BotW on Wii U) among Nintendo's all-time best. It's gathering a respectable amount of good games (Animal Crossing, Mario Maker 2, Ring Fit Adventure, Splatoon 2, Origami King, Luigi's Mansion 3), but I wouldn't put any of them as must-plays at the time of release. All Nintendo's previous consoles have had more. It's not over yet though!

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not even close. First-party library is very lackluster and heavily reliant on Wii U ports, even worse with third-parties. As much as third-party support greatly improved in comparison to previous systems, it's still lacking and exclusive games are almost non-existant.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Not even close. First-party library is very lackluster and heavily reliant on Wii U ports, even worse with third-parties. As much as third-party support greatly improved in comparison to previous systems, it's still lacking and exclusive games are almost non-existant.
3rd party exclusives are non-existant in general these days.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It's brilliant in design in functionality. The crazy thing is that Nintendo has the potential to make it significantly better from tech advancements and improving their online infrastructure. The problem is that there they have taken 2 steps ahead in some areas and 1 step back (relative to the competition). Gaming online with friends on Playstation and Xbox is like a day and night experience.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Nah. I was born in 1983. As a NES/SNES era kid, it was a truly magical time that transcends critical analysis. It's like asking if the Gorillaz or Radiohead have better songs than the Beatles. Sure, there's maybe, perhaps an argument to be made. But why?

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I still have to hand it to the 3DS, but that's only because I have a bunch of SNES / NES / GBA games on there in addition to 3DS titles. It's a cozy, nostalgic console. Shitty hardware, doesn't feel to precious, not based around online or anything, the last bastion of "old-school" gaming that I own really.

animalcrosser

Banned
Apr 7, 2020
It's the best device, yes. Being able to play anywhere or on the TV makes it the best because of the versatility. Maybe not the software library, but in terms of hardware it's just near-perfect for gaming.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo newest, properly backed console will always be its best console to me.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
No. The game library has quite a ways to reach the NES or SNES.

The third party exclusives have yet to kick off. I think 2021 is the beginning of that with games including Monster Hunter Rise, SMT 5, Disgaea 6, Rune Factory 5, NMH 3, and more.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Hell no, consolidation of home and handheld development teams with long periods of droughts.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I'm too nostalgic for the Gamecube to have an objective opinion
But I'm saying Gamecube anyway

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
SNES is still king
The extremely high quality of the first party titles and amazing 3rd party support put it over everything that's come since.

I know opinions and all but are people joking with N64? Lol

Also hardware isn't all that tbh. Great concept but the joy cons are a huge issue as well as the crappy d pad and lack of analogue triggers on the pro controller

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying the SNES was better is just pure nostalgia at this point. The sheer quantity of indie classics, the variety of choice across genres, the first party masterpieces, next gen ports, and the flexibility of the hybrid nature. It's Nintendo's best console by a country mile.
The SNES is the PS2 of the 2D era.

Post-Gamecube Nintendo doesn't even have the specs or the third party support to cover each demographic of the market.